Its been a few weeks since anyone has asked about a ski purchase

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Roymond, Nov 9, 2018 at 8:06 AM.

1. Roymond

Roymond Early Days

So here we go. Advice please on a first time ski purchase.
    I'm a solid intermediate, 5th time skiing now at SP this year- happy on blues and easier blacks. Getting intense lessons from Ski Adventures whilst at Sun peaks this time around. I've got my own boots and they fit pretty well, not perfect but probably as close I can get to without a custom mould given the flippers on the end of my legs.
    I am looking at my first ski purchase and am trying to narrow the skis down to three to demo.
    I am 50, 185 cm, 84 kg and an AFL and track cycling background. Hence I am reasonably strong and fit and can make up for my numerous technical flaws with sustained leg contraction.
    I currently have minimal off piste/ side piste experience and to be honest, with my wonky knees, back country skiing is probably off the table so it will be about 75/25 piste/off piste in the future.
    I have skied the volkl rtm 84 2017 as a renter and thought it was really stiff, also the dynastar legend 84 and it was a little "floppy" for want of a better word.
    On research, I was considering the Head monster 83 (or new V10 as an 85), Atomic vantage x 85 cti, or 2019 Volkl rtm 84. Ideally I am looking for a ski that I can "grow with" and get comfortable on all terrains. Im looking to ski in North America, NZ and Oz so i'll need something that can hold ice as well as the pretty canadian snow.
    All advice and suggestions gratefully received.

2. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

Fix your boots first, get fitted insoles then come back.

Any likes this.
  3. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

When you say you have narrowed down the list you want to demo, do you mean youve contacted the stores in SP to work out what they have that might be suitable?

4. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Backwards to the future!
    Ski Pass - Gold

I was surprised at the skis my Ski Adventures instructor (Barb) was using at Sun Peaks - Fischer Curv DTX with about a 74mm waist - even in over a foot of fresh pow. Another of the instructors was on a pair of Head iSupershape Rally, which are 75-77mm underfoot depending on length. Barb tut-tutted at my Head Monster 88's as being on the wide side.

You'll see a huge range of skis on the mountain at SP, from mid-70's to mid-100's, so don't feel that you need to go hugely wide. Anything versatile enough to handle the wide variety of Australian conditions will work at SP.

That Vantage x85 cti sounds like it fits your short list. I tried a Volkl RTM 81 (177cm) at Perisher this year and found it only came alive for me when skied as aggressively as I could. I'm 174cm but was 112kg or so at the time. The RTM's get stiffer as they get wider, no wonder it felt stiff at your weight. Possibly demo a Nordica Navigator 85 in the longest size at SP. I'm a fan of the Head Monster line so would definitely recommend trying the 83. IIRC the "2019" range of 83's only goes up to 177cm? Possibly compare that with a 2018 Monster 83 in 184cm.

5. Roymond

Roymond Early Days

thanks- already have custom foot beds, I was meaning the shell.

DidSurfNowSki likes this.
  6. Roymond

Roymond Early Days

Talked to Mcsporties, tried Jardines a few weeks ago but no response as yet.

7. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki One of them
    Ski Pass - Gold

8. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Try the K2 Ikonic 84Ti, very underrated ski.

Roymond likes this.
  9. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah I think they are all still hibernating

10. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter
    Ski Pass - Gold

If you want to demo demoing within a category of ski is over rated. Demoing is most useful to find out what kind of ski you like. From your description try some piste orientated skis in different widths radii. Try a ski in the 70s 80s and 90s for width. Also try a ski with a shorter radius ~13m and longer ~18m. Aslo try a heavy ski with metal and a light ski. Once you find the category you like pick a ski on colour and price.

Since you're sinking coin into improving I'd go and talk with Heather's people. You'll get good recommendations and spend a lot less time stuffing around.

Any, Marty_McSly and Roymond like this.
  11. Any

Any Addicted

to expand on this great advice, i thought that id include that most rental shops have a premium range of skis you can choose to rent, often available is an extra premium demo plan also where you should expect reasonably new skis in not bad shape, thatll give you an idea of the current range of products you might purchase. many shops have a policy of unlimited changes during your visit, so you could literally try every pair of ski they own.
    also, keep in mind when you eventually get your own skis getting non-rental bindings will make the whole kit quite a bit lighter, they add a surprising amount of weight.
    when i first found my fav pair/style of skis it was almost an instant relationship. they were already comfortable after the first run.

with my bad knees (blown both mlc's, meniscus and one acl) i prefer softer skis because they can be more forgiving. also regarding your backcountry note, my knees prefer backcountry over piste because the snow is softer and less solid impacts coming up the legs. once you learn to ski pow its more like surfing smooth water, very soft and easy on the knees ... however your quads will not thank you.
    what did you mean by floppy? riding rockered/early rise (powder) skis on firm piste will have a tip that is flopping about because more of it is in the air, this is not a problem imo, that part of the ski is not used for piste and some people seem to freak out when they see it. in my experience, one way you will know when a ski is too soft when it lets go (and you fall) whilst you're doing a carve turn that you wanted/expected it to hold, and will know when a ski is too stiff when you feel like you're forcing your knees over but nothing is happening.

Roymond likes this.
  12. MickM

MickM One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Demo some 90ish waist width, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Roymond likes this.
  13. Kletterer

Kletterer Urban Chicken
    Ski Pass - Gold

Demoing is about finding out about your fave shape . Width is almost the second most important factor..... but not until you have worked out #2 Stiffness/ flex is the one that can throw you out the most if not analysed closely.

14. Mitchell Pearce

Mitchell Pearce One of Us

2019 Volkl rtm 84 are a good all mountain ski. However I would try to demo first. A mate did and didn't like them.

15. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

Sorry been in Hawaii for 10 days surfing.

Buy whatever you want man. Mahalo.

Get something pretty though that will makes your mates jealous.

16. Roymond

Roymond Early Days

I was thinking that the red ones always go better.

DPS Driver likes this.
  17. MickM

MickM One of Us
    Ski Pass - Silver

Do you ski fast?

Roymond likes this.
  18. Kletterer

Kletterer Urban Chicken
    Ski Pass - Gold

Is that when you dont stop for meals ?

snowgum likes this.
  19. Roymond