It's Iconic -- Snowies Iconic Walk project

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Work progressing
IMG_20200307_164141.jpg

(Note: Thread title changed Feb 2021 for make-glorious shameless SEO benefit.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Is that looking north down Spencer's toward Tate?. Wrong thread I know, just trying to work out where.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com

I know all the tracks and routes in the area pretty well, but I'm a Victorian, so I haven't been exposed to what people think of this project. It looks fairly good to me, vastly better than the wasteful and poorly routed $35 million plan to upgrade the current one day walk from Falls Creek to Hotham to a five day "experience", complete with painfully high fees to pay for it. :mad:

So... is this regarded as a good thing by hikers or is it seen as a bit of a waste of money?
Do people think the new tracks are in the right place, or are there better routes (such as Illawong to Twynam or Stillwell to Thredbo River) that might have been built instead?

snowies-iconic-walk-map.jpg

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I know all the tracks and routes in the area pretty well, but I'm a Victorian, so I haven't been exposed to what people think of this project. It looks fairly good to me, vastly better than the wasteful and poorly routed $35 million plan to upgrade the current one day walk from Falls Creek to Hotham to a five day "experience", complete with painfully high fees to pay for it. :mad:

So... is this regarded as a good thing by hikers or is it seen as a bit of a waste of money?
Do people think the new tracks are in the right place, or are there better routes (such as Illawong to Twynam or Stillwell to Thredbo River) that might have been built instead?

Also I wonder who is funding this project?
Is it mainly state - I suspect so?

If its partly Fed - I’d like to think all states & terry’s would get some $ for equally worthwhile projects.

Its not like these things are ever pork barrels is it??

Reactions: Majikthise

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

It'll be OK. A big portion of it exists already.

And it creates a logical loop that can be serviced.

The only odd bit it the Perisher to Bullocks Flat section which Parks told me a few years ago prior to the invention of the Iconic Walk any track down the South face of the Ramshead Range would never happen. Their reasons were erosion control and management of MTBs given all the proposals at that point in time were from MTB interests. And they had no funds then to build new or even maintain the existing tracks. I understand build funding is available for the Iconic so that is addressed. It remains to be seen who really will fund the maintenance of the Iconic.

As an alternative to the Perisher to Bullocks Flat section, it would have been simpler and lower cost to resurrect the deliberately neglected Perisher to Rainbow Lake Track and add a new small link track from Rainbow Lake to Saw Pit. Then use the existing Pallibo from Saw Pit to drop off the Range to the existing Thredbo Picnic Area at the Bridge over the Snowy. The natural extension of this is to extend the existing Thredbo to Bullocks Flat track along the Thredbo River to Thredbo Picnic Area at the Bridge over the Snowy. So you can actually complete the walk as a loop back to Thredbo passing Bullocks Flat on the way.

Last edited:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
It'll be OK. A big portion of it exists already.

And it creates a logical loop that can be serviced..

Yep, it looks pretty good to me. But as a Mexican, I know that I should probably restrict my thoughts to south of the border, so I was interested what the locals thought of it.

I notice on that map that they are still pretending that there isn't a dirty great road along the ridge heading from Mt Anton to Mt Twynam. How cute! If they pretend it's not there then perhaps walkers won't use it and the faeries will make it magically disappear. ROFL

BTW. Are they really allowed to use the term "Iconic"? I thought the Falls Creek spin department trademarked it about a decade ago and then proceeded to use it in approximately 10,000 media releases.

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I think its just to link Crackenback to the walk, it means people can stay at more than one place on the walk, maybe some plans for CP to have stuff open in summer? Perisher/Guthega also?

Reactions: Jacko4650

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
First section of crazy track rock laid, welders completed 2nd small metal walkway over a sphagnum bog. I wouldn't be recommending cycling the metal walkway for many years or be carrying lots of spare tubes.
image.jpeg

climberman

CloudRide1000 Legend
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2000
the sunny illawarra
Have they gone for metal or the plastic/fiberglass one?

On the Coast Track (Royal NP) there are many many many kms of the plastic one. Quite amazing.

Dropbear

Hard Yards
Aug 4, 2010
Northern Beaches

I wonder if they missed a trick by not including a link between Guthega and Perisher, as that would close that part of the loop and make more route possibilities.

Sure, the existing Blue Cow summer road goes most of the way, but it'd be a nicer walk to go straight over the top of Back Perisher. All they would need to complete this link is a short new track linking between the top of Pleasant Valley to the top of the Perisher Quad.

Reactions: Bogong

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Looking at that metal track I’m thinking ski down from Eyre, sandshoes on and I’m up at the snow bridges or Snowy crossing in about 15 minutes.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass