It's Iconic -- Snowies Iconic Walk project

PiniPowPow

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 16, 2010
NSW South Coast
www.olasmontanas.com
The track is looking fantastic @Myazma I was down last week and had a sticky beak with the local staff

20210407_103332.jpg
20210407_125023.jpg
20210407_125455.jpg

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Work on Stage 3 has now finished for the season. All metal walkways are completed and 3 rock crews have pulled out. We dropped in 500m of gravel over the last week, made so much easier now Heli Surveys have kibbles (big cones that the dogmen guide along the track tray while releasing the gravel).
Still working on the Spencer's creek bridge so we will go back and do the approaches after this week's rain.
@Scrap
IMG_20210429_075449.jpg
hope you're fit, a summer of work up here and I'm itching to slide.
IMG_20210428_143941.jpg
IMG_20210424_094126.jpg

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
I was initially thinking this may open up some main range access possibilities for Perisher skiers via paralyser. But turns out its only a little way along from Illawong. I have never skied down the spencers valley. Probably more effort than the slog to Illawong from Guthega.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
I walked up Spencer's as a teenager from Twynam after a long weekend of skiing. I never repeated the effort.
Couple of the boys thought it might be a short cut from the track back to the depot next to the road bridge, came to same conclusion couple hrs later.
When will this walk be able to be completed by the public ?
Could tell you officially but Illawong track closed until May 28, so I'd assume a spring opening for Stage 2. Bridge should be done in a couple days then it's just us to finish bridge approach stonework.
Nobody has been stopped from using it while under construction (dispite warning signs) and nobody will be working on from next week, finished.
The Illawong track has been upgraded to stone in some sections (mainly between first bridge to top of dam) and the shrubbery cut back

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
That looks like a twisting stem failure from wind or snow loading. Walkway would have arched under beautiful old gum, unfortunately they have had to cut it off after falling on walkway.

Finishing cuts on failed stem can be done in such a way they are much more 'naturalised' & will quickly blend into an 'age' feature on tree. That type of cut requires significantly more skill & time than standard pruning cuts though & is unlikely a track crew would be carrying the ideal saw for that job.
Amateurs at work !Walk way is not the best look ....they should have called in Team Bears as consultants!Suppose you will have clean boots .....any pull over lanes when Mt Bikes are flying through?

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Premium pleased!

Its a bit of a weird detour.
Someone in Sinee looked at the map and saw a train station and went oohh goodie a transport link, we’ll loop the track down this easy looking hill face to there.

Ignoring of course reality & the other obvious existing tracks that could be simply linked to get the trail back to ground level.

Or there is secret agenda B to use skitube up & MTB down to let Perisher have a slice of MTB pie.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass