It's Iconic -- Snowies Iconic Walk project

robbo mcs

A Local
Ski Pass
Sep 1, 2008
Kenthurst / Jindabyne
I think and hope this'll have a First Nations name.
Kind of off topic, but obviously I am not woke enough. I didn’t realise until I read this article the other day, that the use of the term “First Nations” is not without controversy in Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/bla...ant-but-it-can-be-tricky-20210826-p58lzg.html

I do agree though, a First nations title would be awesome. I assume though, that there will be different names for different segments etc, so probably an opportunity for a politician to get a name in their somewhere LOL

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Kind of off topic, but obviously I am not woke enough. I didn’t realise until I read this article the other day, that the use of the term “First Nations” is not without controversy in Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/bla...ant-but-it-can-be-tricky-20210826-p58lzg.html

I do agree though, a First nations title would be awesome. I assume though, that there will be different names for different segments etc, so probably an opportunity for a politician to get a name in their somewhere LOL
Porkilaro

canestocks

One of Us
May 21, 2012
Armidale
I wouldn’t complain if they named something after Elyne Mitchell (rather than her brumbies). Legend and pioneer of the back country. First descents of some of the toughest runs, skiied the western faces on old fashioned skis and bindings, named the sentinel, and wrote some good books (apart from the silver brumby series;))

50AFAB86-F1FE-4B0B-A198-AE56E6E17328.jpeg
$9 :cry: I paid $10 for mine> with no jacket cover.

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
After a summer hiatus from rock laying I was feeling unfit so now back doing a stint between CP and Porcupine Rocks
IMG_20220325_133648.jpg
IMG_20220325_141022.jpg
. Plenty of track upgrades around the mountains getting done besides the work continuing on the Iconic - repairing the MR track, Illawong, Thredbo top to DHG. The stage Porcupines to Bullocks is being cut and rock laying has commenced from the top.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Jacko4650

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 15, 2014
Thanks for those who've offered commentary on the crash. Will be interested in hearing what comes out of the formal investigation. In the meantime, I hope those peeps involved end up ok.
Lights are out on the workers camp at Island Bend. Hope this is just a sign of the bad weather and not something else??

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Any thought given to campsites along the track, or are they just going to 'evolve' ?
Evolve. When we started laying rock I did suggest to the project manager that we could easily use excess rock in strategic locations to build 'rest seating/absorb the view'. He simply pointed at the surrounding grass, enough said, I shook head, walked away. Campsites, ya dreaming, as others have said aimed at walk thru, stay in lodges. Little foresight that peeps will camp in specky locales.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Evolve. When we started laying rock I did suggest to the project manager that we could easily use excess rock in strategic locations to build 'rest seating/absorb the view'. He simply pointed at the surrounding grass, enough said, I shook head, walked away. Campsites, ya dreaming, as others have said aimed at walk thru, stay in lodges. Little foresight that peeps will camp in specky locales.
More infrastructure equals more people which equals more impact. It's a delicate balancing act and easy to mess up. I understand caution.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Perhaps better described as the Upperclass Thredbo Wander......will KNP require permits!Good way to make a dollar?
200.gif

Bears gave up after the controversy over Orange Hut......let the bushwalkers sit in the sleet and snow after all its an outside adventure!

One is right to question the wisdom of the Iconic Walk...

Have the boys fixed the Guthega Bridge yet?

kiter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 21, 2002
Newcastle
I don't think that they think much about the idea of encouraging people to camp? The route is more about encouraging people to stay indoors in the ski villages.
I wonder how long before private operators figure this out . you need to book walks in tassie months/years ahead . it will happen here but eg CP up there two days ago . will the current owner figure out that opening stillwell which you can just see is open from the road to the turnaround where thousands pass really looks crap and nothing else no charm ,no summer lift that I thought was supposed to be a thing and that beatiful chalet and lovely grassed area and mezzanine doing nothing with a whole heap of ugly machinery left next to it . Yuck . Surely theyll figure it out and cater for the summer trade which is increasing exponentially particularly with the new walks. THE CHALET AT CP SHOULD BE THE CENTREPIECE

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods
I wonder how long before private operators figure this out . you need to book walks in tassie months/years ahead . it will happen here but eg CP up there two days ago . will the current owner figure out that opening stillwell which you can just see is open from the road to the turnaround where thousands pass really looks crap and nothing else no charm ,no summer lift that I thought was supposed to be a thing and that beatiful chalet and lovely grassed area and mezzanine doing nothing with a whole heap of ugly machinery left next to it . Yuck . Surely theyll figure it out and cater for the summer trade which is increasing exponentially particularly with the new walks. THE CHALET AT CP SHOULD BE THE CENTREPIECE

LOL....... as if Kevin Blyton has a clue.......

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass