Jacobs Ladder Road Closure and Upgrade

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
The Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) have recently secured funding through the Priority Asset Maintenance Program to undertake remedial works on Jacobs Ladder and a section of the plateau road. The works will be managed by Pitt and Sherry who have had previous experience in carrying out works on Jacobs Ladder. The contractor undertaking the works is Gradco Pty Ltd.

Works will include removing unstable rocks and hazards, rock netting, cleaning and repairing drains, repairing crash barriers and resurfacing the road.

The remedial works to Jacobs Ladder will ensure the road continues to provide safe access to the alpine village, while minimising impacts on the parks natural values (eg. erosion).

The work is proposed to start on Monday 25th February and be finished by 24th April. Please note that access via Jacobs Ladder to the Ben Lomond alpine village will be closed on weekdays between 25th February and 24th April 2008 from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Access to the alpine village will still be available weekdays between 5:00pm and 7:00am unless advised by the contractors due to safety concerns, all weekends and Easter (Friday 21 to Monday 24 March inclusive). Access to Carr Villa remains open at all times.

If you require further information on road closure and access to the village, please contact Donna Stanley, Parks and Reserves Manager Tamar / Bass on 6336 5286.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
Jacob's Ladder was in awesome condition last year, by far the best I've ever seen it. I think the only thing they could do to improve it would be to seal the road. (Which they should have done 20 years ago!!!)

100_0664.jpg

The Jacob's Ladder road in April 2007.

belayslave

First Runs
Oct 7, 2006
Melbourne
How long is that switchback road? looks like a great training road (i'm thinking running.) i love training in inspiring country like that.

EDIT: dragging up an old thread sorry!

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
It is about 14km from the main road to the actual ski village if you want a major workout
wink.gif

belayslave

First Runs
Oct 7, 2006
Melbourne
the 14km is a bit out of my league at the moment, but wouldn't mind working up to it.

But i could see a few laps on the switchbacks as a fun torture for an afternoon.

thanks guys.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Latest news from Parks is that the work on the ladder should be completed this week, so there will be no worries with access to the top of the Mountain.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Other than roll down a bit of wire & move a few rock i think most of the hundeds of thousands of dollars they spent was on the pretty rock filled gutter they have made..!! Very visually pleasing though!!!??

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Word from parks is that the large rock (which is holding up a few others) at the base of the ladder will be fixed and movd this week and then the whole surface will be topped up and repaired sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
From Parks on Monday
Repairs to the rockfall at the base of Jacobs Ladder commenced today and should be completed by the end of the week.

On Wednesday and Thursday of this week, the Ladder will be closed between 8am and 4pm while the gabion rock walls are put in place. Access during this time is restricted to emergency vehicles only (eg ambulance).

If there are any changes to the dates or times of road closure, I will advise by email (and phone calls to those I know aren't yet connected).

Please pass on this information to relevant people.

Any problems / concerns call me on the numbers below,

regards

Donna Stanley
Parks and Reserves Manager Tamar/Bass
Northern Region
ph 03 6336 5286
mobile 0428 151 918
fax 03 6344 8109
email Donna.Stanley@parks.tas.gov.au
snail mail Nth Region PWS, po Box 46, Kings Meadows 7249

Bulldozer

First Runs
Aug 15, 2006
Ben Lomond
No work on the ladder today , I think they would have had trouble finding it, any news on the rescheduling. It may compromise mountain operations if it stretches out to far

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
Roadworks to repair and make safe the rockfall at the base of the Ladder are still occuring.

Contractors were unable to work yesterday (Wednesday) due to weather conditions, but have worked today (Thursday).

Further works will take place Friday (tomorrow) and Monday 7th.

The road will not be closed to traffic although visitors may experience short delays (10-15min) while machinery is positioned to allow passing traffic.

Road conditions on the mountain are icy and a sign requesting 2wd must fit chains has been erected. This will be reviewed tomorrow and again over the weekend.

Any issues - please contact me

Donna Stanley
Northern Region
ph 03 6336 5286
mobile 0428 151 918
fax 03 6344 8109

Ben Lomond Brad

Part of the Furniture
Jun 24, 2002
Tasmania
The completion of the ladder road works has been delayed, work is expected to be undertaken on Tuesday this week with the installation of the last two baskets, the road works and access to the village shall be managed in the same way as it was last week.

regards

Vyvyan Allchin
Project Coordinator
Northern Region, Parks and Wildlife Service
Department of Environment, Parks, Heritage and the Arts
Prospect Govn Offices
ph 03 63365297
fax 03 63448109
Mobile 0427 879 681
email vyvyan.allchin@parks.tas.gov.au

The BLC Inc.

Hard Yards
Aug 1, 2007
Ben Lomond, Tasmania
A number of representations have been made to Parks and Wildlife Service (PWS) in regard to the current condition of Jacobs Ladder, with the major concern being ice on the road.

PWS requested Pitt and Sherry (engineers engaged to complete the recent maintenance of the Ladder) to provide advice on what may be possible to reduce the risk to motorists.

Pitt and Sherry undertook analytical sampling of the road material and results have shown that it is compliant with all specified requirements.
In addition, the road design / camber allows for appropriate drainage of surface water/moisture off the road. Until such time as there is heavier snow fall on the Ladder, the grader/snow plough will not assist in reducing the risk of ice forming and in effect may only increase the problem through compaction.

The PWS has assessed all of the viable alternatives and is taking appropriate actions and precaution to ensure the road remains open during the critical time when commercial operations and peak visitation occurs on the mountain.

The advice to all road users, following discussion with engineers and undertaking a public risk assessment is:

All vehicles must carry appropriately fitting chains. (This is not a new condition or requirement for road use)
Chains must be fitted as conditions require and / or where signage indicates. (This is not a new condition or requirement for road use)
Drivers must be aware of their own limitations when driving in alpine conditions.

The use of chains by all vehicles will assist drivers in traversing the road.
Regular users and visitors should be mindful of the changed road conditions and drive accordingly.

McDermotts (bus company) will operate the shuttle bus once snow conditions improve and lifts are operational.

Donna Stanley
Northern Region
ph 03 6336 5286
mobile 0428 151 918
fax 03 6344 8109

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using