1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Jagungal (and surrounds)

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by GS, Aug 24, 2005.

1. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I have a few questions for you north of the border folks...

Have the opportunity for a week of walking in late Nov and the Kosci - Jagungal is one area we are contemplating. The question is about regrowth after the fires. Is there enormous amounts of under storey, shrubby regrowth making walking more difficult? Planning a loop from maybe Guthega to Jagungal then back via Main Range. Have only ever walked/skied Main Range, so not familiar with areas further north. Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

2. seak

seak One of Us

A NPWS notice at the flying fox across Bue Cow(?) Creek at Guthega still states that Mt Jagungal is off limits to walkers due to the wildfires of January 2003. Ring NPWS in Jindabyne, who would surely confirm this and give you advice on where to do an extended walk in KNP. Based on what I have seen poking through the winter snow are that The Rolling Ground and areas between Valentine Falls and Mawsons Hut are still exposed blackened soil - delicate and not pretty. [​IMG]

#2 seak, Aug 24, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. legend

legend One of Us

The area between Mts Twynam and Dicky Cooper (includes Granite peaks/Rolling Ground) is also closed - possibly for another 4 years due to very little (no) regeneration. The area is incredibly delicate (NPWS are a bit concerned if people walk across and destabilise the remaining topsoil).

4. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator

That would all correlate with my first hand look at high country areas around Selwyn, the Kiandra area and back towards Tabletop mtn .. all a bit north of the big J. But burnt to the dust. Snow gums still not regenerating over 2 years since the fires.. not even tubers from the base. Soil looks dead. Esp. higher up.

5. GS

GS Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Whilst riding the Alpine Way back in April, I noticed the Western faces still had areas seemingly devoid of any regrowth. Obviously further north as well. Just had a look on the NPWS website and they state areas around Jagungal are still closed. Looks like we might be going to Tassie instead. Thanks for the replies.