JAL Business class award availability to Tokyo and Vancouver

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
Managed to book Qantas business classic reward seats, Canberra to Vancouver via Tokyo. Jan to Mar. Connections not real good but can put up with that in a business lounge. Quite a lot of availability on JAL but can be a problem to book on QF website. JAL availability will only show under multi city bookings. You can search on JAL for availability then plug in segments on QF multi city. Would not complete booking, errored at final stage on QF website and had to call. Then would not ticket and 2 further calls required. Luckily no wait times on QF call centre over easter, amazing. Waited 4 hours earlier in the week before call dropped out. Quite an ordeal but worth it, happy to provide further info.

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
JAL the whole way I assume? will have to investigate. Don’t have points but are trying to find a cheaper alternative so far Airnz looks the best but still $2800 economy with a 3 hr stop in Auckland from the Gold Coast.

Reactions: Crystal
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Ok on the JAL website it is sending me to Tokyo then to Honolulu then to Vancouver, no directCt flights Tokyo to Vancouver?

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
They have a daily direct flight JL18 and JL17, I have booked on these . The layover time might be the issue. Try separate legs AU-TOK TOK YVR. JAL also generally have more legroom and wider seats than most. The 787 are only 8 across everyone else use 9. Also YVR is from Narita. MEL is to Nartita, SYD is to Haneda.

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
Thanks found the direct flight, unfortunately around $2000 return, when you add the gold coast - Tokyo leg actually ends up dearer. Wish we had points!

Crystal

Sand skier extraordinaire
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Far far away Aussie expat
@skivet you may find cheaper flights in May when there are some travel expos, in general though you will have to book a certain amount of land content with the agent to get that fare. Not sure if this works for you. Also i was not prepared to wait for 'possible' specials. They will come up during the year. I am a little less patient though.

skivet

One of Us
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
@skivet you may find cheaper flights in May when there are some travel expos, in general though you will have to book a certain amount of land content with the agent to get that fare. Not sure if this works for you. Also i was not prepared to wait for 'possible' specials. They will come up during the year. I am a little less patient though.
Thanks Crystal. Had thought would wait till the travel expo , but we only need airfares as have a Airbnb house. The problem also it is for the busy Christmas Holiday season 20th- 29 thDec. I have seen the airfares gradually rise each time I look. I think I should just book now. It’s just hard to pay such expensive prices and I keep thinking Qantas may introDuce a direct flight ex Brisbane

Reactions: Crystal

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Managed to book Qantas business classic reward seats, Canberra to Vancouver via Tokyo. Jan to Mar. Connections not real good but can put up with that in a business lounge. Quite a lot of availability on JAL but can be a problem to book on QF website. JAL availability will only show under multi city bookings. You can search on JAL for availability then plug in segments on QF multi city. Would not complete booking, errored at final stage on QF website and had to call. Then would not ticket and 2 further calls required. Luckily no wait times on QF call centre over easter, amazing. Waited 4 hours earlier in the week before call dropped out. Quite an ordeal but worth it, happy to provide further info.
Canberra! Thanks for the info. I need to check this out. Maybe tonight or tomorrow morning. I am on a brief break from moving over a cubic metre of dirt that needs to be done ASAP.

And would love further info. I only want to go to Tokyo. But may have someone who wants to go to Vancouver.

bullet

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
I can't find any, it just says reward flights not available on this route?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

bigmac

Hard Yards
Jun 25, 2009
Are you looking to Tokyo or Vancouver. Just had another look. The Syd/Mel to Tokyo seem to have good availability but the Tokyo to Vancouver are getting harder to get 2 business, need to be flexible.

Reactions: bullet

skichic

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
Just scored some QFF Business rewards flight to LAX via Tokyo on JAL.

Anyone know if the QF booking ref is supposed to work on JAL website to select seats? Does it take a while to flow through?

oldgeezer

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 18, 2016
Grandpa oh and computer programmer too.
Has anyone flown air nippon?
Used Aeroplan points a few years ago on ANA, 1st from Chicago to Haneda on B777 transit Haneda then Business on B787 overnight to Sydney. First was very nice but Business to Sydney was very disappointing the problem being they waited about three hours into the flight to serve a full dinner keeping the cabins brightly lit and then dragging out the food and I got very little sleep. (Being on Chicago time probably didn't help.) Qantas did late evening Tokyo departures much better by assuming people would have eaten dinner pre-flight so do a light supper soon after takeoff then dim the lights for most of the flight before a breakfast service a couple of hours out.

Last edited:

Nick.

Hard Yards
Jun 19, 2018
hi guys just be careful if you need to transfer airports, as Japan hasnt opened for tourists yet and this includes international airport transfers in tokyo. Just had to cancel our september trip to YVR via Tokyo with 1 week stopover.

• Wow
Reactions: Lifes2good
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using