News Jann's Hut. Baw Baw N.P. area. Trashed by a falling tree. Not good. 10.7.21

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
Jann's hut.Baw Baw area. Tree damage. July 2021..jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Sad to see such damage but those storms were fierce.
Dangerous territory, Steve! Smuggling brownies into back country huts? Or do you mean cannabis brownies?
But as Tee has suggested above, the hut was not in a very user friendly location for access to the plateau. But it was one of the few huts left in the region. NBW is in a very bad way, I believe, not maintained. For ski access to the AAWT, it might be worth contacting the Rover Scouts about access to McMahon ski lodge at Mt Erica. Or there could be one other little hut closer to bb that no-one uses...(shhh).

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Oh ...once on the little knoll to the Nth of Mustering Flat it was only perhaps 45mins to that hut......crossing creek to the left and then contouring around a little through some heavy wattle areas then more downhill on moderate ridgeline to the hut by the river.I am sure i took chainsaw in there from the Nth sometime back(well a good time back)and I cleared up that hill to the top!

It should be cleared of fallen trees out to Mustering Flat and given a few permanent Fluro markers!And rock cairns!

Sweefu

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
May 22, 2019
Will the rangers/parks people do anything to repair the hut or are they maintained by local groups etc? Pity to see it like that!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
NBW hut ( see my photos from Feb. 2021) is in a condition that could be useful to some but it is certainly no Rebuilt Mt. No. 3 Refuge hut or re built Roper's hut at all. Access from Mushroom rocks is " interesting".
The Scout Hut at Mushroom Rocks looks like it is maintained and is quite comfortable but it is locked unless you have the key.
_SAM8745.JPG
_SAM8747.JPG
_SAM8746.JPG
_SAM8748.JPG
_SAM8749.JPG
_SAM8751.JPG

Reactions: Sweefu

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Will the rangers/parks people do anything to repair the hut or are they maintained by local groups etc? Pity to see it like that!
The Vic. High Country Mtn. huts assoc. and the Friends of Baw Baw may possibly join forces in spring and see if the hut can be saved. Mr. Peter Maffei is the head of Friends of Baw Baw. He would not be happy to see the hut like this.
It would require chainsaws, hand winches and hand pulleys and co operation with DELWP to get 4 x 4 vehicles up the Hut rd. which usually has a locked gate. That would be the only way one could get the tools and materials into anywhere near the site. The actual hut is not very near a vehicular track. The foot access route is steepish and a bit over grown.

Reactions: crackson

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes..well!More chainsaw discipline for that area required !Just carry a few chainsaws along that track and cut fallen crap from the old path towards Mustering Flat.....We appear to being going backward!

Progress required ......these areas don’t need to revert to jungle !Oh the good old days when tracks were well defined and maintained!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Tree Damage to Jans/Staggs Hut

Jans Hut or Staggs Hut, located in the Thomson River State Forest on the western side of Thomson Dam, was badly damaged by a falling tree during the recent severe weather in Gippsland. The Victorian High Country Huts Association (VHCHA) is working with the Department of Environment, Land, Water & Planning (DELWP) on assessing the damage and possible repairs in the spring (depending on the extent of damage ). If you are planning to bushwalk in this area and intend to use this hut, please make alternative arrangements as it is not safe for use. Any queries please contact hmo4@hutsvictoria.org.au.

Jans Hut, whilst hidden, is a popular hiking destination for those in the know either as a side trip from the Australian Alps Walking Track or the easier route using a logging track in the State Forest. Our Bushwalking Tracks and Conservation (BTAC) team has offered its services to the VHCHA to support any make-safe or repair works it may undertake.

Reactions: Kletterer

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Thanks for update Mr T.

Needs a rebuild by the look of things....a Ropers Hut rebuild would be a nice gift to the younger generation .
Perhaps some clearing work as was done around Weston’s would permit a helicopter drop of building materials.Perhaps work could target potential dangerous trees likely to threaten a rebuild hut.

A nice new hut will generate more interest from walkers/families.The development of a marked trail to Mustering Flat and up to the pole line above would be desirable.
The more walkers stimulated to use this area the better.

The degradation of the main walking track from this Hut to Mustering Flat needs to be addressed.Some markers like those on the Keppels/Boundary Ruin Walking Track and some good chainsaw work is the way forward.

Both of us have seen the interest develop in the Keppels Hut area and the use of tracks to make overnight and day trips a pleasure.Keppels Hut walking track is the standard (hey...the Gold Standard!)that we should be striving for.
Cheers Team Bears.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass