Japan 2010 - 2011 Trip Plans/Thoughts/Reviews Thread

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
6,395
2,873
563
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Sandy said:
I might go skiing not this weekend, but the following!!!
wink.gif


Looks like some snow in the latter half of next week!!!

80CM of snow in the last 48 hours in Myoko with more to come. Definitely a redux of last season.

My understanding is that northern Honshu resorts are on the eastern grid so they are subject to power cuts. Hakuba and others west are on the western grid - so are not subject to cuts. Could be wrong though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
5,301
187
413
48
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
MG - yes, that grid sounds about right. And for comparison sake, we had 55cm of settled snow here in the last 2 days.

Sandy - regarding skiing, my personal take is conservative: I don't need any additional risk right now, so am not doing any skiing (in the backcountry). A serious injury now would be PITA if this over-hyped nuclear situation did actually get worse. I'll do two half-days of relaxed intermediate resort piste skiing with my wife over the weekend. But the backcountry can go on hold, along with off-piste tree skiing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
70,637
30,139
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
damian said:
MG - yes, that grid sounds about right. And for comparison sake, we had 55cm of settled snow here in the last 2 days.

Sandy - regarding skiing, my personal take is conservative: I don't need any additional risk right now, so am not doing any skiing (in the backcountry). A serious injury now would be PITA if this over-hyped nuclear situation did actually get worse. I'll do two half-days of relaxed intermediate resort piste skiing with my wife over the weekend. But the backcountry can go on hold, along with off-piste tree skiing.

Sounds like a good thing for you to do.....
biggrin.gif


I'd just like to get away from the city, and it's strange lack of normality.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
27,907
13,408
1,063
Adelaide
smitty484 said:
Because commercial media can't help but over-sensationalise everything.

and they are idiots. There was some comment on the concern in Tokyo because some people were wearing masks over their mouths, clearly not knowing that the Japanese do this when they have a cold.
doh.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
70,637
30,139
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Heinz said:
smitty484 said:
Because commercial media can't help but over-sensationalise everything.

and they are idiots. There was some comment on the concern in Tokyo because some people were wearing masks over their mouths, clearly not knowing that the Japanese do this when they have a cold.
doh.gif

That's exactly right Heinz, I noticed that one myself.

They said something like "more and more people have been wearing face masks to ward off nuclear fallout....."

For people who had probably only been in Japan for 3 days, it was an indictment of the total lack of knowledge when it comes to Japanese people. Recently, there's been a high rate of colds, and an increase in people trying to stop themselves infecting other others with their ailment.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
5,483
64
398
50
Inverloch
I've completely given up on looking at any western media in the last few days. It's just been making me so angry. The misinformation, total misinterpretations and just outright lies for the sake of ratings and sales has sickened me. What's worse has been how many people have just lapped it up. Anyway the skiing today was great!
 

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
20,296
8,705
1,063
Chernobyl, Russia
Heinz said:
smitty484 said:
Because commercial media can't help but over-sensationalise everything.

and they are idiots. There was some comment on the concern in Tokyo because some people were wearing masks over their mouths, clearly not knowing that the Japanese do this when they have a cold.
doh.gif

I really like how they do that, so considerate to others!
Unfortunately we got a couple of exceptions to the rule on one of the Shinkansens, which we appropriately named 'the cough & splutter express' !
I didn't have a mask handy, so i had to improvise;


DSC02327.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
5,301
187
413
48
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
Sandy said:
damian said:
MG - yes, that grid sounds about right. And for comparison sake, we had 55cm of settled snow here in the last 2 days.

Sandy - regarding skiing, my personal take is conservative: I don't need any additional risk right now, so am not doing any skiing (in the backcountry). A serious injury now would be PITA if this over-hyped nuclear situation did actually get worse. I'll do two half-days of relaxed intermediate resort piste skiing with my wife over the weekend. But the backcountry can go on hold, along with off-piste tree skiing.

Sounds like a good thing for you to do.....
biggrin.gif


I'd just like to get away from the city, and it's strange lack of normality.

You are welcome to join us here. We have accommodation here if you need it (in our house, not a lodge). There is a spare apartment on the top floor, though no rational person would choose that over the couch in front of the fire.

Where is your family?

edit: my offer is probably a bit late for this weekend.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
5,483
64
398
50
Inverloch
You should just come up north Sandy. Not one aftershock since last Friday. No power issues, no fuel issues, no shortage of food due to hoarding issues, in fact no issues whatsoever. Life is as normal as it has ever been. And the snow is still pretty good. You'd love it! Niseko is almost deserted so for once you'd have the mountain almost to yourself. Be like Honshu resorts midweek in peak season!!
thumbsup.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
70,637
30,139
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Go Native said:
You should just come up north Sandy. Not one aftershock since last Friday. No power issues, no fuel issues, no shortage of food due to hoarding issues, in fact no issues whatsoever. Life is as normal as it has ever been. And the snow is still pretty good. You'd love it! Niseko is almost deserted so for once you'd have the mountain almost to yourself. Be like Honshu resorts midweek in peak season!!
thumbsup.gif

Yeah, but everyone knows that going up to Sapporo, I would be exposed to 4 times as much radiation flying in the atmosphere, as I would on the ground in Tokyo!!!!
wink.gif
(when the radiation spiked in Tokyo)

biggrin.gif


Actually, it's a good idea!!!!
thumbsup.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

sfo

Hard Yards
Sep 8, 2009
479
10
68
anywhere there's snow
AAC Niseko's club thinks they'll be great deals for winter 2011/12 and the Hong Kong-based property developer Pacific Century Premium Developments Ltd recently announced that it will invest more than 100 billion Yen to construct two hotels, a hot-spring facility and 3,000 condominium units in the vicinity of the Hanazono Ski Resort. A Japanese subsidiary will spearhead the project and plans to begin by constructing four condominium buildings and a roughly 200-room hotel that will open in 2014. Currency converted, this represents an investment of A$1.25 billion, probably one of the biggest alpine resort investments anywhere.
 

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
6,395
2,873
563
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
sfo said:
AAC Niseko's club thinks they'll be great deals for winter 2011/12 and the Hong Kong-based property developer Pacific Century Premium Developments Ltd recently announced that it will invest more than 100 billion Yen to construct two hotels, a hot-spring facility and 3,000 condominium units in the vicinity of the Hanazono Ski Resort. A Japanese subsidiary will spearhead the project and plans to begin by constructing four condominium buildings and a roughly 200-room hotel that will open in 2014. Currency converted, this represents an investment of A$1.25 billion, probably one of the biggest alpine resort investments anywhere.

Whoah! There's a vote of confidence, especially under current circumstances. Obviously playing toward rich Chinese. I read recently that there are quite a few ryokan being bought up around the place by Chinese businessmen to cater to Chinese tour groups.

I myself would like to dive in and buy some cheap seafront property now in Japan. After my missus had a coronary she'd probably then divorce me though.
nono.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
6,395
2,873
563
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
My missus and some other members of the Japanese community here are organising a big fundraising event for Japan next Sunday. She was even meeting with the Chief Minister and the local press corps this morning. All money raised will be sent directly through the local Japan Consul-General.

I was just wondering if any of those on the board who are involved in the industry were willing to donate something to auction off - lift tickets, hotel stay, ski hire, etc.? There may possibly be no takers, or someone may buy and not take up the offer. At the end of the day it will also provide a little bit of promotion for yourselves and the ski area. Please let me know by PM and I can send you the full details.

Cheers, MG
 

Petesguitar1

Hard Yards
Aug 10, 2008
725
0
66
Visit site
Just made my first ever batch of Gyoza for dinner and while I may have missed a little bit on the filling (was just a little bit firm, not nice and juicy), damn it was delicious!
 

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
5,301
187
413
48
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
Petesguitar1 said:
was just a little bit firm

Homemade ones often are. Make sure you are adding some vegetable, for example: chinese cabbage, or nira (looks like big blades of grass). Also try to use more fatty pork.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Petesguitar1

Hard Yards
Aug 10, 2008
725
0
66
Visit site
Yeah, I realized all too late that I didn't have any cabbage to put in but figured I'd just have a crack any way. I was really surprised at how good they came out, although now I gotta be careful because eating 10-12 Gyoza as a main meal is delicious, but possibly not the healthiest
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Moderator
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
70,637
30,139
1,515
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Petesguitar1 said:
Yeah, I realized all too late that I didn't have any cabbage to put in but figured I'd just have a crack any way. I was really surprised at how good they came out, although now I gotta be careful because eating 10-12 Gyoza as a main meal is delicious, but possibly not the healthiest
smile.gif

Depends how much cabbage you put in it!!!!!
wink.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
5,483
64
398
50
Inverloch
My mate Mike has really been enjoying some of the late March goodness up this way! Dumping snow out there again as I post this.


MikePow_704.jpg




MikePow_705.jpg




MikePow_706.jpg




MikePow_707.jpg





MikePow_708.jpg




MikePow_709.jpg




MikePow_710.jpg




MikePow_711.jpg





MikePow_712.jpg




MikePow_713.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
3,677
937
363
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com


No more pow here and unlikely to be any more inbounds this season but the spring conditions are brilliant with the last 2 days without a cloud in the sky and no wind. The 47 park is in excellent condition although I stay away from most of it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
6,395
2,873
563
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Only a couple of lifts left open in Akakura. Seki Onsen still going with a 4 metre+ base - open until early May (Golden Week). Back country has been a bit hard and icey so with the sun now should soften up and provide some glorious days.
smile.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:

damian

A Local
Jul 29, 2009
5,301
187
413
48
Hakuba, Japan.
Visit site
Backcountry (see my definition*) in Hakuba = incredibly fun right now. Perfect smooth fast corn, especially on more sunny aspects between 2700m and 1700m. I've had so many great days in the last 2 weeks I can't keep track of them.

*no where near resorts, only places where backcountry skiers and boarders go.
 

Go Native

One of Us
Aug 30, 2004
5,483
64
398
50
Inverloch
Today was a beautiful day for another trip up into the hills. Went up Iwaonupuri (1154m). I drove up to Goshiki-onsen which is just below the peak at an altitude of around 750m.

On the way up
5611955503_749660893b_b.jpg


And up. Mt Annupuri (1308m) in the background.
5611959749_c4ace4976f_b.jpg


Getting close to the top
5612533470_e8e5e5ac1b_b.jpg


At the top. You can see Kutchan, the town where I live, on the plain to the left of the rocks.
5611957091_9546446fde_b.jpg


Mt Yotei (1898m) in the background
5611960613_9963dccdb0_b.jpg


View to the west along the range. The Sea of Japan top right.
5612535048_2bc345d6e2_b.jpg


Taking in the view
5612526420_5f55e3c1c3_b.jpg


Skied back down to Goshiki and had an onsen. Really nice way to spend a few hours.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

parkmonkey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 20, 2005
39,838
24,889
1,063
On a wave or mountain face near you.
TJ said:


No more pow here and unlikely to be any more inbounds this season but the spring conditions are brilliant with the last 2 days without a cloud in the sky and no wind. The 47 park is in excellent condition although I stay away from most of it.
Most of my vid was in the 47 park
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqAovYnV9A8
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Log in

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass