1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan 2015

Discussion in 'Japan' started by hatto, Mar 19, 2014.

1. JosieJ

JosieJ Early Days

That's it everyone tomorrow I am Japan Bound :thumbs: Sapporo - Furano - Asahikawa - Niseko with many adventures in each place! God this has been 1 year in the waiting and finally it is here!!:cheers:

2. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Enjoy... Ive got 10 days to wait

3. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

well timed

4. BH

BH One of Us

Just got back from my first Japan Trip- Hakuba/Tokyo here's what I learnt! Fat ski's are overated! Go for something around 100mm under foot. Keep your options open. Fats are great if it's waist deep (that's a big IF) but something that is 90mm will still work just as good. Those massive fat ski's on hard packed powder or heavy wet snow or even on a groomed run are not fun.... The beds and pillows in Japan are horrible...God I missed my pillow top mattress and fat pillow. Heated toilet seats are the bomb! Happo one is pronounced happo on-ay. Snow monkeys tours are great but it's cold- take the ski jacket and gloves- make sure you go with Rob the goat bloke!! Pork Katsu and Curry is apparently the spaghetti Bol of Japan.....it's bloody everywhere. Australians en mass are ugly...Australia Day in Hakuba was a little bid sad- Hakuba went from Hakuba to Hakooobbba as the VB's were downed to JJJ hottest (crappiest) 100 blaring from every bar. Hakuba is stunningly beautiful get to Iwatake on a blue bird! Onsens are awesome. Nagano apples are the best in the world! Hot chocolate in a can from a vending machine is surprisingly acceptable. Happo gets a bad wrap on here- it's good!! Its steep, it's long and has plenty of variety, Not my favorite but I liked it! Toss up between Iwatake and Goryu/47 as my favorites- Probably Iwatake. Tokyo railways are bloody amazing- don't be scared it's piss easy! Even with the ski luggage in peak hour! Disney Sea- rides are tame at best, What's the go with the whole story line thing? Let me on the ride already! The closing show is worth waiting for just rug up and take a rug to sit on- it's bloody cold at night!. Joyopolis is cool- make sure you use the mens toilets- I filled 2 cans! Hahaha. Try and speak the language! Throw out the Konichiwas, arigato gozimas, hai, konbanwa, sayonara etc instant smile and gratitude for trying! Japan being cheap is a bit of a myth. Accommodation is quite expensive for what you get. 5 star rates for 2/3 star rooms- save the romantic holiday for somewhere else- paper thin walls are a little off puting! Just on the paper thin walls- who takes babies on an over seas ski holiday? Yes that baby that woke every 3 hours also woke up the whole lodge! Grrrrr. The price of food is comparable to Australia- on mountain is a lot cheaper then home. Lift tickets are cheap! But not much has been spent on lifts, groomers etc since the 80's. No safety bars on dodgey old double chairs with an excitable 6 year old was a new experience. The Australians could teach the Japanese a thing or 3 about grooming snow. Taxis are very expensive! Electronic stuff is generally comparable if not cheaper here- do your research! Just to wrap up- loved it! Not an evey year holiday for me- not that rich but certainly will do again!

Froff Life, Presto, Dave6 and 5 others like this.
  5. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Great stream of conscious. And balanced with the good and the bad :thumbs: Some of you negatives have given me some great points to about my place.to promote. Definitely do not have paper thin walls.

BH likes this.
  6. Donza

Donza Pool Room

Re the pillows and paper thin walls. Agree.

Japanese pillows are the pits... fortunately I've not had to sleep on one in years.
    Re 3 star value...stay at air bnb locations in Tokyo. Apartments.

7. Tegski

Tegski Hard Yards

We liked the Japanese pillows - especially the ones that feel as if they are full of ceramic bean bag balls but are actually really comfortable!
    [​IMG]
    We also stayed at the SuperHotel in Tokyo and they have a bookshelf pillow selection in the lobby - Woot.

8. Seemore

Seemore Hard Yards

I just rolled up my jacket and stuffed it in a pillow case

9. skichic

skichic A Local

Why did I never see a japanese child misbehave? Or a japanese parent yell or hit their child? Puts us to shame.

Trip no 5 for me done and dusted. Best trip so far. Love the japanese people, food, transport, toilets, onsens. I prefer a futon to a western style bed, and the pillows I had were survivable. Earplugs for the paper walls (and early morning monorail jingles).

dr80 and Donza like this.
  10. mrtonya

mrtonya Hard Yards

it
    To be fair to the guys grooming, it must be hard to go up once then turn to check out your work and its covered in 20cm of fresh pow.

11. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Had two sensational runs on Giant run at Furano.Boot deep pow.Came back for third but lun closed.Asked patrol guy why,he said with big smile.glooming.He couldnt understand our tears and gnashing of teeth.We came back later and it was a POS.Wasnt even gloomed well.Kamui could give them a lesson in grooming.If you are going to do it do it well.

12. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

Just want to check Im reading this right, but with using the Ta-Q-Bin service, is it really only 2268 Yen to send a ski bag up to Hokkaido from Tokyo? Seems really cheap.

13. d15812

d15812 Guest

Sounds cheap because it is cheap - that price seems right.

14. ojisan

ojisan station master Ski Pass: Gold

15. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

Wow. Not sure about sending hubby's abnormally large ski boots up, but looks a great option for the skis. We've got Tuesday to Friday in Tokyo and will be skiing kiroro on Saturday so heaps of time to get there.

16. ojisan

And it will arrive the time they say it will arrive.

17. BH

BH One of Us

Myth number 2 it's snows a foot everyday. The poor grooming I saw was a blue bird day in freeze thaw conditions.

18. Mercyrx3

Mercyrx3 Hard Yards

I sent my board on Monday evening(6pm) in Osaka to a friend in Hokkaido. She messaged me a 9am Wed to say it had arrived so yeah, PLENTY of time. Send everything you don't need.... so much easier traveling light.

19. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Make sure you have the address and phone number of your accom. In Japanese is even better. Makes it much easier with the language barrier at the takyubin check in. And yes I paid Y1700 to send my huge snowboard bag from Fukuoka to Hakuba.

20. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

You obviously didn't catch the Tozai line. There is no way you could get any luggage on a peak hour train. I would have taken a photo but I couldn't move my arms.

21. mannyk

Sounds like you didnt get the conditions you where after in the time you were there, bummer, that can happen anywhere.

22. Presto

Presto Addicted

When I was in Japan back in Nov/Dec '14 I found if the bed was great the pillows were so thin, sleeping on a jumper would have been better! Then getting great pillows meant a concrete bed..can't win :cry:
    Always good to read others point of view :)

23. skichanger

Yeah but only Niseko, and maybe some other places on Hokkaido, claims that. Thankfully we get a mix of snowy and bluebird days.

24. blutek

blutek One of Us

At Hotel Piano?

25. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

26. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

God some people are greedy ungrateful shits.

LMB, mannyk and Jamesc like this.
  27. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Rage thread for you Verm ;)

28. winter

winter One of Us Ski Pass: 30 Day

The countdown is on for Tuesday evening departure. The pack has been a costly exercise and both children have had a huge growth spurt since the Aus winter! Finally I have all funds ready to exchange at the lowest rate in a year, oh well you cant exchange what you dont have and wont pay much attention to the extra 10% once we are there. I will think of what I will save in chu hai and the odd 7-11 cheap feed. Walk instead of a taxi, maybe. Its holiday time keep the snow tap on for us and its usually at full tilt each visit.
    On the above ski report I have always had comfortable bedding staying Futon style and great pillows or maybe a day of skiing then dinner and a few drinks I don't care!

29. HoopDogg

HoopDogg Hard Yards

Ski/board all day, onsen, then big feed, and a few of your beverages of choice.
    You won't even notice the bed/pillow.
    If you do, you're not doing it properly.

Froff Life and almontyrat like this.
  30. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

It's a great service. Just shy of $ 40 to send our 2 ski bags to Noz. We loaded them up with other stuff as well so combined they were 50+ kg,s.

31. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

It sounds great. No issues with picking up the gear? It's always fine to be stored, or do you let the hotel know it's coming?

32. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty

I contact the hotel/pension beforehand, so they know to expect it and you know they know. No problems with them storing it. It will be there when you arrive. The system just works.

33. Vermillion

Not really. I mean seriously, people go for what, 2, 3 weeks on average to a place where it snows more than TEN METERS A SEASON in a lot of places, then complain when they dont have 50cms of fresh snow every day. How many of those whingers would even know how to ski that much snow? Seriously. Boo hoo you have a couple of days of no snow, maybe gets a bit warm, but then it closes in again and it's back on. Remember, you're going for a fraction of the season in most cases, to an amazing country with an amazing array of places to ski, and you want to bitch that there isn't face shots every single day? Give me a spell.

HoopDogg, Froff Life, hotsaki and 2 others like this.
  34. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Completely agree.

35. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ditto

36. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

Great. Thanks for the advice.

37. mannyk

last trip my stuff was on my bed in the room when we arrived. Just need approx 2 days

38. freddy

freddy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I want face shots every day.

39. surferchris

surferchris Hard Yards

BH whereabouts did you stay?

Im heading over soon hanging for some freshies!

40. d15812

d15812 Guest

But that's the culture that this (and nearly all other ski forums, magazines, media etc) are promoting these days. It's ALL about the pow and it's ALL about the off-piste. I've even seen comments on this forum in particular along the lines of "Please, no more photos of people skiing intermediate groomers in bluebird weather - it's boring" and yet other comments of "I don't do resorts Bro, I'm too good for that, I only ski/board backcountry because that's so much better".

If that's the culture that's going to be nurtured and promoted then you are going to get people expressing disappointment that they didn't get to experience that whilst on their holiday that they saved and planned for 2 years for.

I haven't seen any particular comments that are in bad taste or disrespectful, just a couple of minor comments about people's experiences which doesn't seem unreasonable.

dawooduck likes this.
  41. ojisan

Everyone knows that the end of the day, when going on a holiday anywhere you are reliant on mother nature to produce the goods.
    So be it... you just need to suck it up & make the most of it.
    I pity those who decided to head to California for a snow holiday this year.

Froff Life and Vermillion like this.
  42. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Dudes I'm in whistler and it coped 10cm of rain. All the snow is completely hard packed and not skiable off the groomers.

Tell the whingers to stop complaining about the lack of face shots.

Vermillion likes this.
  43. skichanger

Ironically most Japanese stay on piste and the domestic skis are not powder skis.

IMO Japan is a great family destination. Yes the powder is amazing but the quality and quantity of snow makes in bounds skiing so good. If you get one day in Aus better than most days in Japan you are very lucky.

44. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

REALLY, we're skiers or boarders. It's about connecting with mother nature, same as surfing. Sometimes you gets it and sometimes you don't.
    If it's not dumping or the surfs flat, enjoy the fact that you are where you are and relax.
    No use complaining, it won't change the situation, better to re-align your expectations and find something else to do.
    Peace out!!!

45. Vermillion

I can count on 1 hand the days ive skied in Australia that come anywhere near some of the days i've skied in Japan, and most of them only come close because of the nostalgia of skiing in Australia.

46. sourmash

sourmash One of Us

Exactly! Whether it's snow, surf - or fishing.

KEEP PUTTING YOURSELF IN POSITION. Sometimes, it will come off.

Japan, Sunday a week ago....
    [​IMG]

47. blutek

blutek One of Us

I'm at Tomamu, might catch up if there's some new snow in the trees next week.

48. StuckinQld

StuckinQld Addicted

We arrive on the 20th

49. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

To be truthful, you don't have to have powder falling the same day to get your fill of powder, and you don't have to go oob in Japan.

Expectation builds up when you expect the powder to be in a particular place at a particular time. Take Cortina. (Hakuba)

Every man and his dog was there sunday(after lifts 4&5 were shut on Sat). So the expectation builds up and the masses flock there, and what's the result? Tracked out by 10:30am. Then everybody takes lunch and calls it quits for the day.
    Meanwhile, where did I go? Norikura. (ended up at Cortina after lunch when the hordes had cleared out....)
    "Yes but isn't it flat and unchallenging?" Just ask the Aussie friends I took there yesterday..... places even the "old hands" at Hakuba don't know about.... because they don't think it's worth the trouble.

What about Saturday? Big powder overnight..... where to go? Happo? Cortina? 47/Goryu?

Iwatake. Awesome there.

think outside the box, and you will get powder.

#1849 Sandy, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    Born2ski likes this.
  50. mannyk

Also nothing wrong with skiing on a hill with plenty of snow and a well groomed run on a blue bird day with friends. Stopping for a beer and lunch, then heading out for more..:woohoo: I'am easy to please.

sn0wbunny29 and Froff Life like this.