Japan 2017 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Have a look at Yuzawa Froff, it's a real town with lots of options for food / culture / ski, just not picture perfect. However, If your still going to Zao beforehand you would have already had the village onsen experience, so Yuzawa would be a good medium IMO. Stay near station, shuttles to various hills from there.
Thanks Zim, yeah Zao Onsen for a week first so maybe it would be cool to stay in larger city afterwards. If we are going to be walking 10-15 mins from Naeba village to the lifts, might as well stay in Yuz & use the shuttles

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Found pics. Funny how 30 years can change perspective. ;) Wouldn't have said he was an old guy now. I still recall he had a bit to drink though - he was a character. Also thinking again I think this was a bar after the restaurant.

p117_Naeba_bar.jpg

and here is Naeba on a weekend during the 80's bubble era - a place best avoided.
p118_Naeba.jpg
Wow look at all those people!! 80's Japan bubble era would of been a site to see

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Went to charmant hiuchi.. they said only 15 cm overnight.. I said bs.. I cleaned at least 15 from the car in the 4 odd hours I was parked there.
It's a mental resort.. Go anywhere, do anything

Maybe 25 people on the hill.. I was the only gaigin.

Being so close to the coast, it can get all sorts of weather.. It was puking at times, then clear , then the fog rolled in.
Visibility up top was poor to piss poor.. Was so hard to see where to go.
But the powder was awesome.
Boot deep on the limited groomed runs.
Knee to waste deep in the trees and in the powder fields.
Would love to go back on a clearish day.

Attachments

• DSC_0057.JPG
    DSC_0057.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Went to charmant hiuchi.. they said only 15 cm overnight.. I said bs.. I cleaned at least 15 from the car in the 4 odd hours I was parked there.

Being so close to the coast, it can get all sorts of weather.. It was puking at times, then clear , then the fog rolled in.
How was the drive in the Yaris? With so much snow over the last few days?

winter

One of Us
May 6, 2010
southern highlands, nsw
Stupidly good at Happo today!!!!

Yesterday, strong winds closed the gondy, Alpen, Riesen, Skyline...... pretty much the top 2/3 of the mountain.....
Today, looking at the winds dropping on JMA this morning, went back and scored big!!! Alpen opened about 9:30, giving access to 2+ days of powder. Skyline opened about 11am, and pretty much skied powder from 9:30am-3:30pm :D
Completely agree. Yesterday we were lucky to be on the first couple of chairs when they opened skyline.Best run of my life!!!
Today we managed again to be on the 1st chairs when it opened after entering from the top quad chair.
At 350 we were still finding fresh lines in the area.
Amazing 2 days.

Reactions: Tanuki

JoeKing

Old n' Thrusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2011
a galaxy far, far away.
Weekends are a no no in this area unless you are Joe .................. increases chances of a root!!!!
They don't like hairy men. This has been well documented.

I had been over at the other hill most of the day and that wasn't too bad. I came back and looked over that hill.. oh f***! I remember thinking, I'll just go from here to the hotel slow and steady, and if I'm careful I can have a nice drink when I get back to my room. The gopro footage is a unviewable mishmash of head turning like you wouldn't believe. I don't usually get scared but that was something. Wow.

Reactions: Zimboo

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
No problem at all... 4wd with snow tyres is a must on many of the roads around here
Just a reminder to all that snow tyres still don't make cars impervious to problems. An incident two days ago, where one of our group was heading down a slight slope on a bend, and lost all brakes, due to ice, and narrowly missed grader that saw the problem and did and emergency reversal out of the way

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Just a reminder to all that snow tyres still don't make cars impervious to problems. An incident two days ago, where one of our group was heading down a slight slope on a bend, and lost all brakes, due to ice, and narrowly missed grader that saw the problem and did and emergency reversal out of the way

I had a 4WD + snow tires and locked up doing 2km/h at 5am in the middle of Takayama at a set of traffic lifts, so I can vouch for them not being invincible. And 4WD + snow tire directly behind a grader that's scraped it back to the bitumen vs. 4wd + snow tires on 15cms of fresh snow is a very very different proposition.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I had a 4WD + snow tires and locked up doing 2km/h at 5am in the middle of Takayama at a set of traffic lifts, so I can vouch for them not being invincible. And 4WD + snow tire directly behind a grader that's scraped it back to the bitumen vs. 4wd + snow tires on 15cms of fresh snow is a very very different proposition.
Yeah!!
And this was WHITE snow as well.... so my general take is that white is usually ok, dark grey/or black bitumen might be dodgy.
BUT, on white packed snow going downhill, just do a tiny brakes test to assess the snow surface. I find that light grey bitumen is usually ok.

Reactions: LMB

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
This video was filmed in Hakkaisan last Thursday(before the heavy snow hit Northern Nagano). Hakkaisan is that sparse weekdays?. I can't see anybody else:p

This was filmed after it started snowing hard.

Reactions: JoeKing

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
9BFBC095-62B9-4076-BD54-265DF6C7D06F.JPG
9BFBC095-62B9-4076-BD54-265DF6C7D06F.JPG
1 cm overnight here in north tohoku snow in really good condition trees good. Could do with a solid dump in resort to freshen up however still little pockets of boot deep around. Toured up summer road past old flat ski to mountain hut just up the road from Taz fun

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
This video was filmed in Hakkaisan last Thursday(before the heavy snow hit Northern Nagano). Hakkaisan is that sparse weekdays?. I can't see anybody else:p

This was filmed after it started snowing hard.
Because it faces south and it has reasonable pitch it tends to bump up a lot when the sun hits it. Unless you're a fanatical Japanese mogul skier, and there is quite a few of them there, it can become hard work. On its day though....
Plenty of places in Japan without many people during the week. That's one of the best things about Japan. :)

Last edited:

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW

Shhhh! Nothing to see here people, move along.

Reactions: M_G

BammBamm

Hard Yards
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
Couple of quick questions for the knowledgable here!

Is Arai open this season? (weekdays?)
How long via car from Hakuba to a) Arai and b) Charmant?

Thanks!

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Took a trip over to Ryuoo today.
Bluebird day but was still able to find powder runs.
Was a tale of two resorts as the runs down from the top of the cable car were shut due to the copious amounts of snow (so I was told)
The lift layout at the bottom was a bit meh.. You had to take at least 2 lifts to access any good runs as the bottom was all green runs full of school groups..
I still found a powder field accessed by a double chair that I lapped for an hour and half... At least knee deep.
The top was like a maze accessed by one quad.. It was pretty empty and quite fun.

Reactions: Zimboo and M_G

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
At the moment, no. There's been too much snow for both Seaside and Charmant IMO. Both of those places are best after a foot of fresh, 4 or 5 feet of fresh in a week is tough going over there.
Couldn't argue against you.. From what I experienced the other day, it was a hard slog

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Well that was fun... Headed over to iizuna resort..
Small serviced by only 3 lifts but very well set out..
A fair few school kids but other than them it was seemed quietest and I was the only gajin.
The place has really nice long groomers.
Lots of untracked knee deep powder was sampled just off the piste.
Up top was pretty poor visibility.
Great little resort to check out and cheap... For 3500 yen, I got lift ticket, lunch and entry to a really nice onsen overlooking a frozen lake.

sourmash

One of Us
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Good day at Rusutsu today. Turned up early for about 10-15cm of fresh on piste and tree runs relatively soft and not too tracked out (at least better than expected). Not too busy either. Good vis most of the day with a few light snow showers coming and going.

Reactions: pedub and Olgreg

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Oh, BTW, I found a good hotel for @JoeKing.

It's in Nakano, near Shiga Kogen, Ryuo & Nozawa....

It's called Hotel Route Inn Nakano. I haven't seen any women here though, so maybe for JoeKing, it's BYO.
:out:

Route Inn is one of those standard business hotel chains that you find near the railway station in many Japanese cities. So plenty of opportunities. I've stayed in a couple in Morioka & Kitakami.

Reactions: JoeKing

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Route Inn is one of those standard business hotel chains that you find near the railway station in many Japanese cities. So plenty of opportunities. I've stayed in a couple in Morioka & Kitakami.
Booked in at the one at Morioka week after next. Looks okay and inexpensive.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Oh, BTW, I found a good hotel for @JoeKing.

It's in Nakano, near Shiga Kogen, Ryuo & Nozawa....

It's called Hotel Route Inn Nakano. I haven't seen any women here though, so maybe for JoeKing, it's BYO.
:out:
The room is a pretty good size, and get the twin room fir extra space (costs maybe another 500yen)
But still not enough women for @JoeKing

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Booked in at the one at Morioka week after next. Looks okay and inexpensive.

Yes, I was happy with it. Great location opposite train & bus station so perfect for my various day trips. Inexpensive and with a good size buffet breakfast included in the price. Public bath on the 14th floor. Couple of nice Izakayas around the corner.

Reactions: PMG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass