Japan 2017 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Final day on the snow, and I visited Togakushi..
Would have to say it was my favourite out of the five resorts I visited.
It's a resort consisting of two mountains.
One serviced the Red cruisers and the beginner slopes.
The other peak serviced mainly black runs.
All I can say is wow.. The cruisers were awesome.. Long and lots of untracked powder on the side..
And the black runs I did was knee deep powder fields where you could still find fresh and get the traditional Japow faceshots..

So five resorts in 5 days.
Thanks to @M_G for finding the discount tickets online
I am heading back to Kansai in the morning.

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
Didn't get to Togakushi last week due to too much snow on the road from Hakuba. I would have tracked it out if i had a chance............:p
Half your luck.

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Fuji-san was showing off spectacularly yesterday

Attachments

• DSC_0039.JPG
    DSC_0039.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Didn't get to Togakushi last week due to too much snow on the road from Hakuba. I would have tracked it out if i had a chance............:p
Half your luck.
I did my best to track it out..
Left a bit of goodness behind for the weekend crowds

Reactions: M_G

atlas

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2008
Considering making an impromptu trip to Hokkaido in the first two weeks of Feb.

First time skiing Japan. Have mostly skied Aust/NZ and Whistler.

What are conditions like at the moment? From my read of the snow levels, not very good by Jap standards? But probably still awesome by Aussie standards? Worth making the trip?

Considering hiring a car so that we can try different resorts. Any help appreciated!

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
What are conditions like at the moment? From my read of the snow levels, not very good by Japanese standards? But probably still awesome by Aussie standards? Worth making the trip?

Considering hiring a car so that we can try different resorts. Any help appreciated!

Can't talk about Hokkaido but excellent by Myoko standards. From what I'm told by friends up north I'd definitely be heading to Honshu rather than Hokkaido.

For car advice head to the car danchi thread, Crispy13's excellent TR from last year or Ojisan's posts in this thread. Get the shink to Nagano, hire a car and book yourself a place to be based in. Done.

Also corrected your misspelling.

Reactions: hotsaki

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Naeba was sick today. They reported 30, but was knee to waste deep.
Snowed heavily till about 10am then the sun even made an apperance.

Still fresh tracks at 3pm and has started snowing again.
Sick! Jealous

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Road a bit less traveled. Now in Naqua Shirakima (called Aomori Spring now). Resort surviving (thriving) on Taiwanese charter packages with 150 punters at a time coming in on direct charter flights to Aomori 4 day turnaround with groups coming back to back for a month. Thankfully not all interested in anything off piste. A few western staff and visitors. The snow within the resort and in trees has been blissful the last few days probably had around 10" not epic but very nice ...comfy hotel and reasonable price...$50 AU with b/f + tickets $30 ..no need to go bc although it looks promising.
DSC02531.JPG

DSC02495.JPG

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008
Monday 23 January
Kiroro
'Japanuary' in full effect. All time. All day.

Dumping when we left.
Road to Kagura this arvo

Road a bit less traveled. Now in Naqua Shirakima (called Aomori Spring now). Resort surviving (thriving) on Taiwanese charter packages with 150 punters at a time coming in on direct charter flights to Aomori 4 day turnaround with groups coming back to back for a month. Thankfully not all interested in anything off piste. A few western staff and visitors. The snow within the resort and in trees has been blissful the last few days probably had around 10" not epic but very nice ...comfy hotel and reasonable price...$50 AU with b/f + tickets $30 ..no need to go bc although it looks promising.
DSC02531.JPG

DSC02495.JPG

Ewe's are all official bastards....

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
I'm wondering exactly where they are talking about on SnowJapan's Yuzawa Now.

Yuzawa town itself is reporting 37cm since yesterday morning on the JMA site.
Yeh, I don't know. On another note: Shiga has had a good January.....441cm this month. That's Myokoish.

Reactions: spunk72 and bullet

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
I

Don't know where they measure but it was absolutely puking all day yesterday, we were at shops in yuzaea for 30min and there was about 6cm on car.

Slowpony

Addicted
Ski Pass
Mar 28, 2008
Perth Western Australia

Not sure either as last year it was calling 5cm in town when we had 25-30cm at base of Yuzawa kogen as we were getting to the gondy.
They were calling the 65cm from 8.30am to 8.30am

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
The person reporting on Snow Japan wrote that in the report.
Wrote 21cm fell during the day up until 6pm, then an additional 44 overnight up until the latest report = 65cm in total over 24 hours.
What Sandy is asking is why JMA reported only 37cm over the same 24 hour period for Yuzawa. Rather large difference.

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
The person reporting on Snow Japan wrote that in the report.
Wrote 21cm fell during the day up until 6pm, then an additional 44 overnight up until the latest report = 65cm in total over 24 hours.
What Sandy is asking is why JMA reported only 37cm over the same 24 hour period for Yuzawa. Rather large difference.
I don't know why perhaps the wind skewed the readings as it was quite windy yesterday. I think by the way it was snowing in there yesterday it would have to be more then 37.

bullet

One of Us
Aug 11, 2007
wollongong
On another note tomorrow is looking like the day of the season so far at yuzawa resorts, it snowed lightly all day. The snow on the exposed slopes today was knee deep and dense while in protected areas was waste deep.

It has socked in somewhat thus afternoon with heaver snow for last few hours.

Forecast sun and no wind tomorrow :)

Ajmit321

Hard Yards
Dec 11, 2016
Ok I'm bored of Hakuba after 2.5 weeks.... A few epic powder days though steep trees in Cortina. I like Japan food, culture etc went to the snow monkeys today (go by yourself save $50) but yeah a bit flat. I suspect if you have a good touring partner, Happo ridges would be good. Probably won't be coming back unless just to go BC due to the lack of steeps. Tendajara etc might be worth a look for steeper stuff.

Going to Charmant Hiuchi should be good.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Ok I'm bored of Hakuba after 2.5 weeks.... A few epic powder days though steep trees in Cortina. I like Japan food, culture etc went to the snow monkeys today (go by yourself save $50) but yeah a bit flat. I suspect if you have a good touring partner, Happo ridges would be good. Probably won't be coming back unless just to go BC due to the lack of steeps. Tendajara etc might be worth a look for steeper stuff.

Going to Charmant Hiuchi should be good.
LOL

I thought you said you wanted something steep!!! ;)

The other thing..... I've seen people go to Hakuba, and think they've skied it all... but they always seem to miss the best bits, and miss the powder by going to the wrong places on powder days!!!

Oh, and BTW, where is Tendajara? ;)

Reactions: Vermillion

Ajmit321

Hard Yards
Dec 11, 2016
LOL

The other thing..... I've seen people go to Hakuba, and think they've skied it all... but they always seem to miss the best bits, and miss the powder by going to the wrong places on powder days!!!

Ha ha. I've been going around with some 'locals' swedes. I can't spell...

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
LOL

Ha ha. I've been going around with some 'locals' swedes. I can't spell...
Yeah, but let me guess, it's their first time to Hakuba, and they go to Cortina on a powder day? ;)

Reactions: Ajmit321

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
OK, slowly catching up with pics and vids

16 JANUARY 2017
Annie (@annie_wikman) from Queensland, Australia enjoying the return of the powder
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido

16143220_10154980613058624_1697870545144185353_n.jpg

Reactions: Hyst and LMB

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
19 JANUARY 2017

ALL ABOARD THE POWDER EXPRESS
Hayden (@hayden_lovelock) from New South Wales, Australia showing this Old South Wales skier how it's done
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido

16265649_10154980613333624_831185522757162667_n.jpg

Reactions: Hyst and LMB

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
Went out with an Osaka local last night and he took me to an awesome little bar that seats no more than 10.
We were in Namba, headed toward den den town.. Past a love hotel, to an ordinary building.
Going up a ramp around a corner led to a kinda alleyway that had different doors, most leading to bars, but some leading to who knows what...
Great to get way way off the beaten track

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
Went out with an Osaka local last night and he took me to an awesome little bar that seats no more than 10.
We were in Namba, headed toward den den town.. Past a love hotel, to an ordinary building.
Going up a ramp around a corner led to a kinda alleyway that had different doors, most leading to bars, but some leading to who knows what...
Great to get way way off the beaten track
And?What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass