Japan 2017 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotsaki

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2010
Darwin Australia
I am hopeful its not too bad.Been taking nurofen and that helps.I dont think I have torn or damaged anything hopefully just swelling etc.Note to self.Do not try and bowl like Dennis Lillee at 63!I did clean bowl their best batsmen though.

Reactions: Stiffler and pedub

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
TUESDAY 24 JANUARY 2017

Longtime student & ski partner Ian MacKenzie catching the light in 'PowderZone'

16195295_10154988577983624_4138097533550914255_n.jpg

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
TUESDAY 24 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 2
After a slow start to the 2016/17 winter season - by Hokkaido standards at least - a storm cycle started to move in across Otaru Bay on Thursday 19 January hitting the resorts close to Otaru and Sapporo hard
By the morning of Tuesday 24th January over 78cm had fallen at the base with significantly more above mid-mountain
The snow was accompanied by temperatures between -10 & -20 Celcius offering up the deepest & driest powder I've skied on Hokkaido
Yours truly (@mikethesnow) up to my gills
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido, Japan
24 January 2017

16425868_10154990169813624_924363019088361993_n.jpg

Video of yours truly in link below

atlas

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2008
TUESDAY 24 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 2
After a slow start to the 2016/17 winter season - by Hokkaido standards at least - a storm cycle started to move in across Otaru Bay on Thursday 19 January hitting the resorts close to Otaru and Sapporo hard
By the morning of Tuesday 24th January over 78cm had fallen at the base with significantly more above mid-mountain
The snow was accompanied by temperatures between -10 & -20 Celcius offering up the deepest & driest powder I've skied on Hokkaido
24 January 2017

Looks friggen awesome. Can't wait - will be there from 9-11 Feb!

John C

Hard Yards
Jan 19, 2016
Just got back on Sunday from an 8 day Hokkaido road trip with my son and a skier mate. First time to Hokkaido, such an awesome place. We where there from the 19th to the 27th and had 7 powder days out of 8, snowed every day, stayed cold, when to 5 different resorts: Teine, Tenguyama, Kokusai, Moiwa and Rusutsu.

Pretty much none of the forecasts held true, we got 30cms one night when the forecast was for 1cm lol.

Here's a vid I shot on a Sony Action cam, great little camera - still learning how to use it. It's mostly of my young bloke.

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Nice video, think you made wise choices on those resorts you picked.
How was Tengu? have wondered about going

I just arrived in Asahikawa. With looking like nothing fresh today in central Hokkaido this morning we drove to Mashike Shokanbetsu to meet this current front as it hit land and were not disappointed.
About 10-20cm fell throughout the and the only tracks we found were our own!
Zero gaijin here
P_20170131_150019.jpg

P_20170131_150652.jpg

Reactions: Vermillion

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney

I just arrived in Asahikawa. With looking like nothing fresh today in central Hokkaido this morning we drove to Mashike Shokanbetsu to meet this current front as it hit land and were not disappointed.
Zero gaijin here
P_20170131_150019.jpg

P_20170131_150652.jpg
Top choice going to Mashike. We hit it up last year on a Sunday. It was soooo crowded. About 10 cars in the car park. Mid week....wow!

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
IMG_0405[1].JPG
by way of contrast. now in minami aizu after a brief visit to the local race hectic hanewa (junior - classic xc, slalom and ski jump) and embracing the japanese localism (no 7/11 here) lots of pensions/onsens and hospitable hosts reminds us of shikoku bike pilgrimage last year. the snow about 6 to 12 inches a bit crusty underneath with top lifts closed (bummer)....still enough untracked to be found amongst the trees and closed gelande. ok xc track at ina down the 401 from here tomorrow off to skiers only spot

Reactions: pedub

Rabid K9

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 15, 2008

Zero gaijin here
P_20170131_150019.jpg

P_20170131_150652.jpg

Fun little place isn't it.

Have had them open the lifts for two of us before.

Reactions: Tonester

Hauffy

Hard Yards
Nov 17, 2013
Brisbane
Counting down big time now! 3 days till take off!
Staying at the inlaws in Kawagoe for 4 days( should be interesting as they don't speak any English and my Japanese is somewhat basic). 3 x nights at Tob's Place in Madarao( best food I've had in Japan) then off to Nozawa for 6 x nights after that.
Hopefully the better half has more of a crack at riding this time...fingers crossed.
Sooo keen

Reactions: Hyst

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
IMG_0405[1].JPG
by way of contrast. now in minami aizu after a brief visit to the local race hectic hanewa (junior - classic xc, slalom and ski jump) and embracing the japanese localism (no 7/11 here) lots of pensions/onsens and hospitable hosts reminds us of shikoku bike pilgrimage last year. the snow about 6 to 12 inches a bit crusty underneath with top lifts closed (bummer)....still enough untracked to be found amongst the trees and closed gelande. ok xc track at ina down the 401 from here tomorrow off to skiers only spot

Minamiaizu is a cool little town, and really close to many good small hils. Sounds like you're heading to Takahata, it's one of my favourite local ski hils, great views and during the week no one around. Plenty of good skiing too and they leave plenty ungroomed so after a fall it's a great place to ski.

Reactions: bluestick

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Just got back on Sunday from an 8 day Hokkaido road trip with my son and a skier mate. First time to Hokkaido, such an awesome place. We where there from the 19th to the 27th and had 7 powder days out of 8, snowed every day, stayed cold, when to 5 different resorts: Teine, Tenguyama, Kokusai, Moiwa and Rusutsu.

Pretty much none of the forecasts held true, we got 30cms one night when the forecast was for 1cm lol.

Here's a vid I shot on a Sony Action cam, great little camera - still learning how to use it. It's mostly of my young bloke.

Nice, how bizarre is that old fun house stuff at Rusutsu? I recognised some of those choice lines from Rusutsu - very nice.
What was the mountain around 1:44 min with the big bowl?

John C

Hard Yards
Jan 19, 2016
Nice, how bizarre is that old fun house stuff at Rusutsu? I recognised some of those choice lines from Rusutsu - very nice.
What was the mountain around 1:44 min with the big bowl?

That was Teine, fun spot.

To answer Pedub, Tenguyama was a cool little local resort, good for a bit of Japanese culture and has a couple of quite steep runs, would be epic on a powder day.

smackies

A Local
Ski Pass
Oct 29, 2002
Honestly looks crap and flat. Probably more enjoyable when there is more snow, but that only makes the flat issue worse. Would not pay.

Disclosure: my friends are working there.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Staying at the inlaws in Kawagoe for 4 days( should be interesting as they don't speak any English and my Japanese is somewhat basic). 3 x nights at Tob's Place in Madarao( best food I've had in Japan) then off to Nozawa for 6 x nights after that.
Hopefully the better half has more of a crack at riding this time...fingers crossed.
Sooo keen
Sooo keen
Good luck with the in laws - did it 1981/82. Had I known he was Kendo teacher in the self defence force ...........!:deadhorse:

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi

Great little video, next trip we'll want to see the boy do a few spins and tricks, hits and misses, preferably with a couple of ski poles sticking out of his backpack and riding a splitter. Thanks for the share

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Under the gondola at Kamui today. Not its usual self.
Went to the back bowls for the first time though. Snow still in great condition, a little roughed up but silky dry powder. Loved it. Should be dumping there right now, will be good tomorrow
P_20170201_101219.jpg

Reactions: munders

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Minamiaizu is a cool little town, and really close to many good small hils. Sounds like you're heading to Takahata, it's one of my favourite local ski hils, great views and during the week no one around. Plenty of good skiing too and they leave plenty ungroomed so after a fall it's a great place to ski.
yea very unvisited (by foreigners). We are staying at a pension at takatsue in the tyrolean village the whole resort seems in a bit of timewarp. today went for a drive up the road past takahata (no new snow so kept going) found a little spot to tour and then had a couple of nice runs on the weekend only ski jo up the road. snowing heavily now so its takahata tomorrow

Reactions: Vermillion

sourmash

One of Us
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
TUESDAY 24 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 2
24 January 2017

Looks like you got the goods in a parallel universe. We went past Kiroro on our way north from Niseko and hit up Sapporo Kokusai on the 23rd Jan which had ~30cm+ of fresh, but quickly tracked out by powder hounds in the narrow side country under, and to skiers right of the gondola.

We then headed north to our booked cat tour at Otoeyama on the 24th, just south of Kamui Links (you could see the runs from some aspects of the tour). They def did not have the dumpage that Kiroro/Kokusai had received. They had about 15-20cm of fresh from two days before. Very cold at -19 that morning. Here's an edit, mainly of my son...

On the 25th we headed up to Teine which had the goods with 30cm or so after it had been dumping all night in down town Sapporo....
6Mji54k.jpg

RZ8vJyM.jpg

There are some serious steeps there if you drop in too close to the red hut!
IsIFrIO.jpg

I had other video footage, but GoPro SD card fail happened after it stuck in the side of the case and bent over :-(

s5XZyeg.jpg

Last edited:

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
You just can't help yourself can you. A reverse strawman with double flip. Dumping on your friend's place of employment. Extra classy.
all good and i hope the business goes great but for $600 (is that right?surely not) you can find a lot more at any number of ski jo all across japan for a $30 lift ticket ......must be the niseko syndrome

Reactions: smitty484

Hauffy

Hard Yards
Nov 17, 2013
Brisbane
Good luck with the in laws - did it 1981/82. Had I known he was Kendo teacher in the self defence force ...........!:deadhorse:
My wife's dad is a little bit intimidating but they seem to like me. Every time she calls home they ask what I am doing before they ask how she is :D

Reactions: Hyst

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
yea very unvisited (by foreigners). We are staying at a pension at takatsue in the tyrolean village the whole resort seems in a bit of timewarp. today went for a drive up the road past takahata (no new snow so kept going) found a little spot to tour and then had a couple of nice runs on the weekend only ski jo up the road. snowing heavily now so its takahata tomorrow

Nice work, i've stayed at the big ryokan at Takatsue before, it was really good and the buffet meals were awesome, cheap too. There's a rotenburo across the road for 300Y that's really nice and quiet after 7pm most nights. The pensions down both the access roads look cool too. Takahata is something else, I really like it, plenty of touring potential behind the lifted runs too. Fortunately my base has been from Tochigi so it's not too bad a drive each day if I dont stay up there overnight. If you're in minamiaizu then i'm assuming you've been to Daikura. If not, dont worry unless the top lift is open, and even then it's good for a short day, but it's only 15mins from the center of Minamiaizu so if you get 30cms of snow overnight and dont wanna drive too much it's worth it. Nango is also worth a look, although the top lift is really the only good terrain, but there are couple of disused runs that are great and out of sight so no one around, and also some touring potential too from the top.

Reactions: bluestick

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Oh sorry, not me or anyone I know. Screenshot of the post below
Capture.PNG

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
quote "this was in the gated DBD zone, which they require you to wear avy gear, but which they also explicitly opened. Cortina is shut today, and I guess we can see why''

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass