Not open for further replies.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Oh sorry, not me or anyone I know. Screenshot of the post below
Capture.PNG
quote "this was in the gated DBD zone, which they require you to wear avy gear, but which they also explicitly opened. Cortina is shut today, and I guess we can see why''

Here is the area:
Tsugaike%20DBD%20powder%20zone_zpshmhqebau.jpg

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://tsugaikepowder.com/&prev=search

Reactions: Tanuki

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Not compulsory to wear kit in the Tsugaike trees. They just suggest it is what you should do. Just trying to keep you as safe as possible. Kit up, helmet and go with a buddy. As long as you have signed the waiver you can go how ever you want.
Good pow day today. 30cms

Reactions: Hyst

geeoff

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2013
Cronulla, NSW
Not compulsory to wear kit in the Tsugaike trees. They just suggest it is what you should do. Just trying to keep you as safe as possible. Kit up, helmet and go with a buddy. As long as you have signed the waiver you can go how ever you want.
Good pow day today. 30cms
So website says do '"lecture" at cafe near top of gondola. Is that where you sign up?

Ajmit321

Hard Yards
Dec 11, 2016
Just got back on Sunday from an 8 day Hokkaido road trip with my son and a skier mate. First time to Hokkaido, such an awesome place. We where there from the 19th to the 27th and had 7 powder days out of 8, snowed every day, stayed cold, when to 5 different resorts: Teine, Tenguyama, Kokusai, Moiwa and Rusutsu.

Pretty much none of the forecasts held true, we got 30cms one night when the forecast was for 1cm lol.

Here's a vid I shot on a Sony Action cam, great little camera - still learning how to use it. It's mostly of my young bloke.

Noice Video - how did you mount your cam - I mounted mine to my googles... = pretty tilted footage....

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
So website says do '"lecture" at cafe near top of gondola. Is that where you sign up?
Take the gondie to the top and you will see the restaurant about 100 meters below. Go inside to the back and up the stairs. 15 minutes. It is actually quite good. Gives you some awareness of what to watch out for. Take the wrong line and you could be walking for 30 minutes. An attacking kamoshika might be overkill though :)

Reactions: Hyst

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Take the gondie to the top and you will see the restaurant about 100 meters below. Go inside to the back and up the stairs. 15 minutes. It is actually quite good. Gives you some awareness of what to watch out for. Take the wrong line and you could be walking for 30 minutes. An attacking kamoshika might be overkill though :)

It was always a cool area to ski, even though it's 2 lifts back up to loop it. Where they used to have the rope was always an invitation to push the limits, so no surprised they opened it up further down into the gullies.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC

I would recommend Nekoma and Alts before Gran Deco @Heinz agree?

Sounds good, promo is misleading. It's 72mins on a shink that actually stops at Nasushiobara from Tokyo, and you arent getting to Koriyama in 8 more minutes on that train. Perhaps if they class 'Tokyo' as Omiya you might get to Koriyama in 80mins. Anyway. Then you need to switch trains to a local train, or get a car to go on the BAN ETSU (yes, you need to yell the name of that expressway apparently) and it's at least another 40mins from there. Calling the Inwarshiro area a 'day trip' from Tokyo is a big stretch. The other thing to note is that a lot of those resorts around Inwarshiro do not have good or any public transport access, and buses from Aizuwakamatsu run infrequently, and if you are coming from Tokyo in the morning you will miss them. The southern Aizu ski hills do not have any public transport that's feasible to take, and are even further away from Koriyama. In short, it's not worth your time, stay away :p

Reactions: Heinz

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
WEDNESDAY 25 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 3
After a slow start to the 2016/17 winter season - by Hokkaido standards at least - a storm cycle started to move in across Otaru Bay on Thursday 19 January hitting the resorts close to Otaru and Sapporo hard
By the morning of Tuesday 24th January over 78cm had fallen at the base with significantly more above mid-mountain
The snow was accompanied by temperatures between -10 & -20 Celcius offering up the deepest & driest powder I've skied on Hokkaido

Yours truly (@mikethesnow) coming up short in 'Walk In The Woods'

Longtime student & ski partner Ian MacKenzie getting deep in 'PowderZone'

16473293_10154999004818624_7475597310199427867_n.jpg

Yours truly (@mikethesnow) catching the light in 'PowderZone'

16473164_10155002232473624_3702552598214723649_n.jpg

hongomania

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2006
Melbourne
Day 1 at hakuba. Good pow to be found! Some face spray shots were had.

What a location, the mountain views are incredible.

Great terrain from the top of gyoru.

Really enjoying my new armada invictus 2014/15 model. 106mm underfoot so not too fat, and nice and buttery. God they lovr to charge fassst tho!

xUfogdd.jpg

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Sounds good, promo is misleading. It's 72mins on a shink that actually stops at Nasushiobara from Tokyo, and you arent getting to Koriyama in 8 more minutes on that train. Perhaps if they class 'Tokyo' as Omiya you might get to Koriyama in 80mins. Anyway. Then you need to switch trains to a local train, or get a car to go on the BAN ETSU (yes, you need to yell the name of that expressway apparently) and it's at least another 40mins from there. Calling the Inwarshiro area a 'day trip' from Tokyo is a big stretch. The other thing to note is that a lot of those resorts around Inwarshiro do not have good or any public transport access, and buses from Aizuwakamatsu run infrequently, and if you are coming from Tokyo in the morning you will miss them. The southern Aizu ski hills do not have any public transport that's feasible to take, and are even further away from Koriyama. In short, it's not worth your time, stay away :p

Been concentrating on my Austria trip so haven't been closely following this thread. Had a quick look at the link. These places aren't secret, they have just been poorly promoted. It looks like this is a step to address this. Verm is right in that if they are implying that this area is a day trip from Tokyo then they are kidding themselves. Sure you can get to Koryama in 80 mins from Tokyo but then you have to transfer to the local Banetsu line, then hope there may be a bus to the ski areas which mostly has not been the case.

If they are serious about promoting the region they really need to improve bus system and make the information readily available. When I went in 2010 I skied the local Inawashiro areas as well as Alts Bandai / Nekoma as I was just there for 3 days so didn't ski Gran Deco. I think I went with those as they were the most easily accessible from Inawashiro but I still had to rely on the pension owner to drop me off at resort or station at times.

He had complained then about how little Inawashiro tourism promoted the skiing. Alts Bandai was ahead in this as they did at least have a direct bus from Koryama. I think the Listel hotel also provided a regular shuttle from Inawahiro. But while that may have been the best resort hotel in the region from what I could gather had the least interesting terrain.

Reactions: bluestick

John C

Hard Yards
Jan 19, 2016
Noice Video - how did you mount your cam - I mounted mine to my googles... = pretty tilted footage....
Cheers mate. Just hand held, becomes tricky in more difficult terrain which is why most of the better footage is filmed standing still.

We didn't really video the best stuff, too busy smashing it lol.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Seafm JNR and the three amigos fly out on Monday to Tokyo to do the tourist thing around there for a few days and then off to Hakuba from the 16th-23rd. I'll post some of their Facebook pics here in due course.

Reactions: LMB and BillyKidd

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers

Been in the area last few days getting the y2000 promo day tickets. Alts yesterday was only half open and skiied out and cooked real quick, did not really take to it although if it was all open maybe. A few foreigners around, have to admit i find aussies are a bit 'in ya face' after being in takahata area which was very laid back ...grandeco today very good with all day untrackedish first photo grand eco second photo no boarders love this place thanks for the tip vermillion...there a lot of japanese boarders now but not a lot going out of bounds yet ..
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0412_Moment.jpg

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
THURSDAY 26 JANUARY 2017

THE STORM - DAY 4
After a slow start to the 2016/17 winter season - by Hokkaido standards at least - a storm cycle started to move in across Otaru Bay on Thursday 19 January hitting the resorts close to Otaru and Sapporo hard
By the morning of Tuesday 24th January over 78cm had fallen at the base with significantly more above mid-mountain
The snow was accompanied by temperatures between -10 & -20 Celcius offering up the deepest & driest powder I've skied on Hokkaido
Yours truly (@mikethesnow) in the terrain above Nagamine
Kiroro Resort, Hokkaido, Japan
26 January 2017

Reactions: Kletterer

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
SUNDAY 29 JANUARY 2017

WALK IN THE WOODS
Longtime student & ski partner Ian MacKenzie (@powderbirdie) catching the morning light in 'Walk In The Woods'

16388188_10155008736263624_5820929719649565110_n.jpg

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Gee the resorts are putting out some cheap deals. Prince Resorts with 50% off adult passes and free kids skiing and now Fukushima resorts with discount deals. Seems there could be a battle for the foreign market beginning.

Possibly for Inawarshiro area resorts, but for Aizu region there just isnt enough infrastructure, and the road system couldnt handle large amounts of tourists. Which I have no problems with. Most of the Inawarshiro resorts you can see from the BAN ETSU expressway, so they are readily accessible.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Been in the area last few days getting the y2000 promo day tickets. Alts yesterday was only half open and skiied out and cooked real quick, did not really take to it although if it was all open maybe. A few foreigners around, have to admit i find aussies are a bit 'in ya face' after being in takahata area which was very laid back ...grandeco today very good with all day untrackedish first photo grand eco second photo no boarders love this place thanks for the tip vermillion...there a lot of japanese boarders now but not a lot going out of bounds yet ..
IMG_0416.JPG
IMG_0412_Moment.jpg

No worries, dont forget Nekoma, it's my favourite resort in Inawarshiro.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
@Mike Pow You had a video (of yourself, I think) posted on your instagram feed that I stumbled onto yesterday. The camera was mounted onto the end of what seemed like your stock. The image was very stable. Did you use a gimbal or similar to achieve that?

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
@Mike Pow You had a video (of yourself, I think) posted on your instagram feed that I stumbled onto yesterday. The camera was mounted onto the end of what seemed like your stock. The image was very stable. Did you use a gimbal or similar to achieve that?

Sony FDR 1000V mounted on the end of my ski pole.

Great in-built stabilisation on the Sony. Highly recommended

Reactions: Tonester

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
TUESDAY 31 JANUARY 2017

WALK IN THE WOODS
Longtime student & ski partner Ian MacKenzie (@powderbirdie) getting deep in 'Walk In The Woods'

16426145_10155010851553624_3954361056649704679_n.jpg

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
I hate to say it @Mike Pow but perhaps you could start up a dedicated thread for all your stuff, a la a Toto Warmlet type thread? 'MikePow's white winter 2017' or something like that?

Unlike in previous winters I'm not in a position to post words, pics and vids on the day I've skied, hence the delayed nature of the posts.

If someone would like up to the minute opinions, then please PM me. As many have done.

I posted in the Japan thread because I thought that was the right thread.

I ski where the best conditions are relative to where I'm staying and for this winter that has been Kiroro and one day at Asari.

A number of people have been saying that this has been a poor winter on Hokkaido. I'm presenting the alternative view.

Just spent two fantastic days skiing in Hakuba and will be posting video soon.

Spoiler alert, it looks very similar to my Kiroro posts :)

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Anyone suggest some affordable accommodation in or near Kiroro ? ...... @Mike Pow

By affordable I mean around $200(17,000yen) a night for 2 adults plus two kids, for room only. Willing to pay more if food is included.

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
Smile Hotel, Otaru

If you don't have a vehicle, there's a free bus from Otaru to Kiroro.

Needs to be reserved in advance.

Reactions: Born2ski

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
A number of people have been saying that this has been a poor winter on Hokkaido. I'm presenting the alternative view.

Haven't been here as long as you, but since the 30th I've found it anything but 'poor'.
Nice to see your vids/pics.

Here's one from Teine today. Man the side-country here is so good.
They reported 10cm but we were skiing pockets of up to 30cm in places.
Definitely notice a difference in snow dry-ness coming from central to the southwest. Not that its bad, just different.
Thought this one was was quite funny/worth posting :) New avatar photo I think
P_20170208_121422_1.jpg

Reactions: Mike Pow

Mike Pow

One of Us
Nov 13, 2014
TUESDAY 31 JANUARY 2017

Yours truly (@mikethesnow) catching the light in 'PowderZone'

snowblowa

One of Us
Jun 15, 2010
Essendon
***ATTENTION NISEKO RIDERS!!!***
Heading there next Friday, first trip back in 6 years, CAN ANYONE in the know please post their favourite Niseko Hirafu Village bars/eateries for some guidance? I must admit, we didn't miss once last trip, everywhere was freakin' amazing but its been a while. Hai! :emoji_fried_shrimp::snowboarder::emoji_fish::emoji_beers:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Unlike in previous winters I'm not in a position to post words, pics and vids on the day I've skied, hence the delayed nature of the posts.

If someone would like up to the minute opinions, then please PM me. As many have done.

I posted in the Japan thread because I thought that was the right thread.

I ski where the best conditions are relative to where I'm staying and for this winter that has been Kiroro and one day at Asari.

Just spent two fantastic days skiing in Hakuba and will be posting video soon.

Spoiler alert, it looks very similar to my Kiroro posts :)
And here's @Mike Pow at Hakuba:
P1010900%20-%20Copy_zpshiqtl2ol.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Pow
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass