Resource Japan 2018 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
That cost is much better... was wondering about car size last night, but was mainly driven by car size / logistics. Where to pick up car (Nagano - or is there something in Hakuba?). If Nagano, Do we need to do two lots of Takkyubin? ie Ski gear on arrival, and then a bag or two of other stuff from travelling two weeks before we get to Hakuba. As we are leaving direct from Hakuba, no chance to Takkyubin, so will probably need to arrange a day to take a car back to Nagano on one day. See if we can arrange some other activities around that.
There is a car hire place in Hakuba but it may be a alot more expensive than hiring from one of the more mainstream places at Nagano. If it does not turn up in a google search let me know and I will search up a link for you.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Niseko United now on Mountain Collective pass. Like it needed any more people visiting :eek:.
Just saw that.

I know very little about MC. Do you think there will be any benefit for those with a Niseko United Season Pass? I'd love a couple of free/discounted Thredbo days!

Although re: people visiting...last season there were unoccupied apartments. They built too many, and charged too much, with all the alternatives in Japan which led a lot of regular visitors to 'try somewhere new this year' - do you think they'll come back? The demographic is changing.

Bottom lifts are busy, but top lifts less so - read into that what you will, but for me it means that a lot of capable skiers are happy to move on and find a better deal, and a lot of the newcomers are beginner/intermediate on piste skiers. There will always be a good number of hard charging powder hunters, but the difference is noticeable. Maybe the affiliation with the MC is to attract people to fill the void left by those who have moved on to other areas.

Reactions: Tanuki

Funky

One of Us
Apr 15, 2002
;) you were staying at the wrong place then.
Perhaps... But as a first time visitor, you didn't really know that until you got there. You kind of looked at things and thought "It'll work"

Also the problem was exacerbated by the very poor season of 2016. Ho hum.

I did look at what yours and @M_G accomm provided and they didn't really tick the other (ie not ski related) boxes we were after either (each to their own). But that is one of the joys of travelling. You learn each time, and can improve each time, and why I love Japan. Every time we go, even though they are ostensibly similar trips, they are all so different.

Last edited:
Reactions: Froff Life and LMB

MadPow

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
Yes this, plus more benefits.

For a family of 4, if you can afford a P3 Cube then that's my recommendation. I'm going with the cube again next season for sure. I think it should be around Y6,500 or there abouts per day. You can obviously go cheaper with a P1 which may get you down under Y5,000 per day but probably not what I'd suggest with more than 2 people + ski gear.

Do you reckon a P3 cube could do a family of 4 with ski gear and luggage? Otherwise our other option is a Wingroad/Corolla Fielder Wagon

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Do you reckon a P3 cube could do a family of 4 with ski gear and luggage? Otherwise our other option is a Wingroad/Corolla Fielder Wagon
Looking back at my photo of the interior of the cube....probably not. The boot is relatively narrow lengthways, but tall. We had 3 people, and then put down one of the back seats to fit our stuff in.

RH5gzV0.jpg

I might be inclined to suggest the P5 wingroad. If you had ski racks, then maybe that would get the physical gear out of the interior. But, have a think if you will have all of your luggage and ski gear at the same time - maybe I guess if you are moving around a bit with accomodation. For me though, I takkyubin the large board bags to and from my ski destination so only need a small bit of space to fit other luggage when we travel.

MadPow

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
cheers for photo, will need the wingroad. Two boys and the gear will be a shit fight

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
cheers for photo, will need the wingroad. Two boys and the gear will be a shit fight
I'd always err on the side of a bit bigger if you can. The Tetris we played cramming us all in the Serena when we did Myoko was hilarious. With well tempered adults it's all a bit of fun. With cranky kids - um yeah, nah...

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
booked the first leg of my flights, unfortunately qantas was out because of their baggage prices.
just using the online jal, ana, and koreanair booking sites, all the prices were under $1000.
the competition for flights right now is nice!

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
booked the first leg of my flights, unfortunately qantas was out because of their baggage prices.
just using the online jal, ana, and koreanair booking sites, all the prices were under $1000.
the competition for flights right now is nice!

I guess you are heading to Niseko again....

buckcompton

Hard Yards
Jul 10, 2013
Anyone going to be in Tokyo around Feb 24th - Mar 1st? Keen for a catchup whilst i have several days to my self waiting for the rest of my ski party to arrive.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
FYI
Friends were struggling to find flights Perth to Sapporo on Cathay in March, so called them.

Apparently not going HK to Sapporo anymore.

I'm surprised - the route was always full!!

I do hope he was mistaken.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
FYI
Friends were struggling to find flights Perth to Sapporo on Cathay in March, so called them.

Really?. I assume more flights between HK and Sapporo, considering the number of Hong Kong people visiting Japan is increasing quite rapidly. HK people to Japan in 2012 was 0.48 million, 2013 was 0.75 million, 2014 was 0.93 million, 2015 was 1.52 millions, 2016 was 1.84 millions, and at this rate, 2017 will be around 2.2 millions. I don't know flights between Perth and HK, though.

Reactions: Zimboo

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Really?. I assume more flights between HK and Sapporo, considering the number of Hong Kong people visiting Japan is increasing quite rapidly. HK people to Japan in 2012 was 0.48 million, 2013 was 0.75 million, 2014 was 0.93 million, 2015 was 1.52 millions, 2016 was 1.84 millions, and at this rate, 2017 will be around 2.2 millions. I don't know flights between Perth and HK, though.
Mmmm...
Perth to HK is always pretty packed too.

But yes he did ask Perth to Sapporo, maybe he misunderstood and it's the perth bit... but he told us "not flying into Sapporo anymore"

MadPow

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
Q really pushing the cheap flights to Tokyo this ski season. Sales sale sales.

ADL-NRT $399 one way!
Except when you got older kids still at school and gotta go over there in mid January!!
Full flights are better than crowded slopes though, as they all seem to want to go to the higher profile resorts.

Interested to see what will happen with Gaijin at Shiga, as that seems to be getting promoted a lot now.

Madarao could be another, I thought last year was going to be the step change for there, but not really any different from previous years (it does help to know here to hide though). Unless they have a big kick up in the next couple of years, there will be some underutlised new Aussie owned lodges.

Reactions: M_G

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Except when you got older kids still at school and gotta go over there in mid January!!
Full flights are better than crowded slopes though, as they all seem to want to go to the higher profile resorts.

Interested to see what will happen with Gaijin at Shiga, as that seems to be getting promoted a lot now.

Madarao could be another, I thought last year was going to be the step change for there, but not really any different from previous years (it does help to know here to hide though). Unless they have a big kick up in the next couple of years, there will be some underutlised new Aussie owned lodges.

Shiga Kogen is Japanese enough, with lack of "expected" facilities, restaurants and bars to be off the radar until this changes. The highest concentration of gaijin are at the Prince Hotel, where you see quite a lot of Chinese and Russians on package deals midweek. However, the numbers are not huge, and they spread out easily enough across the slopes, during mid week. Even then, they don't venture that far from the Prince, so there's plenty of quiet runs in the many nooks and crannies.

Madarao is relatively small, even when taken with Tangram, so if there starts to be a big influx of Aussies, it will crowd up fairly quickly in the powder areas. Tangram still remains quiet mid week though.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
It's been weird summer around Tokyo. Tokyo has had 17 consecutive rainy days since August 1st. At this rate, Tokyo's August 2017 might become the coolest August in 100 years. Hmm, prices of vegetables and fruits are going up now:confused:.
http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201708170025.html

Extremely unlikely..... average so far is 29.5 degrees.
1980 was 26.6 degrees. Next 7 days in Tokyo are forecast: 30, 29, 28, 29, 31, 32, 31
The next 15 days would need to average 23.5 degrees to get lower than 26.6 degrees for August.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Extremely unlikely..... average so far is 29.5 degrees.
1980 was 26.6 degrees. Next 7 days in Tokyo are forecast: 30, 29, 28, 29, 31, 32, 31
The next 15 days would need to average 23.5 degrees to get lower than 26.6 degrees for August.

Oh, yes, Tokyo is the place where "Urban Heat Island Effect" happens the most drastically, so Tokyo can't be colder than 50 years ago:p. I heard the average temperature hasn't changed at all in rural villages but Tokyo's temperature has risen by 3 degrees or so since 1900. Anyway, farmers are suffering now, including my family in Ibaraki:confused:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
By the way, where did the 29.5 degrees come from?. I mean, according to JMA, the average temperature of Tokyo from August 1st, 2017 to 16th is 25.8 degrees.

http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats...4&block_no=47662&year=2017&month=8&day=&view=
That is the mean temperature (average across the whole day), and it's not a good indicator of how hot it can get.
It' s not a good indicator, because in winter for example, if it's warmer than average during the day because it's sunny, then nights are clear and cold. But if it's cloudy, it's cooler during the day, but warmer at night. However, the end result of the two together can be exactly the same mean temperature.

e.g. Hakuba, 10 day period, mean is -1 degree: Day 8 degrees, night -10 degrees. Or day 1 degree, night -3 degrees. Which will melt snow quicker?

29.5 is the maximum daily temperature.

Julio

Hard Yards
Nov 13, 2008
FYI

HKG-CTS looks like it is being removed from early March 2018… Can still see flights in until end of Feb but all searches for March onwards via KIX, NRT or HND…

I am gutted, my fav route to Hokkaido from Oz

Reactions: LMB

Julio

Hard Yards
Nov 13, 2008
Sorry folks, I can see direct Cathay flights HKG-CTS (CX580) in late March and continuing into April-May.

Google search doesn't reveal any news regarding this route being halted ??

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Next time I catch up with him I'll ask EXACTLY what was said.

Getting 2nd hand info one guy to another guy to a girl, stuff gets lost in translation.

Reactions: hotsaki

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I was reading Five-Year Plans of Hakuba Valley and it says Hakuba will focus on backcountry more to attract more people. The first things they will do for it is hosting Freeride World Tour & renovating the mountain hut on the top of Happo One.
12494435554_b1ff1e461d_b.jpg

Reactions: pedub

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
I saw a little clip of FWT looking at new locations for events right on the border of China and North Korea :)
Supposedly the North Korean military was watching over them in the distance

shabu_shabu

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 21, 2013
There was one of those top ten deals articles in the travel section of one the Sunday papers today promoting a $985 deal at the Appi Grand for 7 nights, including 5 day lift pass, breakfast and 'return airport rail pass transfers' (from where? Tokyo?). From late Feb. (They are promoting Appi Kogen in the travel sections of Sunday papers. We've come a long way)

Is spending a week at Appi worthwhile? Presumably you are stuck in the hotel for dinner each night for the duration. Any other downsides? Reliable snow? Crowds? I've read enough on this forum to suggest the skiing is pretty good.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
There was one of those top ten deals articles in the travel section of one the Sunday papers today promoting a $985 deal at the Appi Grand for 7 nights, including 5 day lift pass, breakfast and 'return airport rail pass transfers' (from where? Tokyo?). From late Feb. (They are promoting Appi Kogen in the travel sections of Sunday papers. We've come a long way)

Is spending a week at Appi worthwhile? Presumably you are stuck in the hotel for dinner each night for the duration. Any other downsides? Reliable snow? Crowds? I've read enough on this forum to suggest the skiing is pretty good.
It's fairly large and definitely worth a few days if it's snowing consistently. I'm not sure if I would spend a week there though. Gets busy on the weekend like most Japanese hills but fairly quiet during the week. The Prince dominates the accommodation but there is alternative choices in the village which look good. You would most likely catch the Shink from Tokyo.

Reactions: shabu_shabu

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Reactions: M_G

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

The package including accommodation at the Appi Grand is probably quite reasonable as the accommodation alone is normally fairly expensive. On a standalone basis the pensions a bit down the road are better value. Appi is the biggest and most expensive resort in Tohoku and this will probably make it more so.

Appi has good fall line vertical. It is a bit exposed up high and so can suffer from winds. They do have a small 'powder zone' (Nishimori IIRC) which can be fun though was not accessible when they had some winter games last time I was there.

Don't know what airport they are referring to, may not be Tokyo - it may be an airport nearer to Morioka. Appi can be accessed by Shinkansen to Morioka, then either by a local train (then need a pickup from station to hotel) or by bus which goes directly to hotel and resort base.

I'm not sure I would spend a whole week Appi. You would want to be able to do a day trip to Hachimantai (hotel may do this) or or maybe another nearby Iwate resort.

Reactions: shabu_shabu

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Can't imagine they would fly into Hanamaki or Aomori Heinz, but you never know....

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
So.Would people be Happy at Appi?

I wasn't happy last year when they closed access to the main area I was interested in (Nishimori) because of the winter games. Plus it was the area in Iwate where I saw the most foreigners (over 10) and the most expensive. Was initially planning on two days there, but after that day opted to go back to Amihari instead.

Skipress

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2000
Sydney

The package is offered by SkiJapan.com

Skipress

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2000
Sydney
The package including accommodation at the Appi Grand is probably quite reasonable as the accommodation alone is normally fairly expensive. On a standalone basis the pensions a bit down the road are better value. Appi is the biggest and most expensive resort in Tohoku and this will probably make it more so.

Appi has good fall line vertical. It is a bit exposed up high and so can suffer from winds. They do have a small 'powder zone' (Nishimori IIRC) which can be fun though was not accessible when they had some winter games last time I was there.

Don't know what airport they are referring to, may not be Tokyo - it may be an airport nearer to Morioka. Appi can be accessed by Shinkansen to Morioka, then either by a local train (then need a pickup from station to hotel) or by bus which goes directly to hotel and resort base.

I'm not sure I would spend a whole week Appi. You would want to be able to do a day trip to Hachimantai (hotel may do this) or or maybe another nearby Iwate resort.

The package is from SkiJapan.com

Skipress

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2000
Sydney

Skipress

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2000
Sydney
The airport is Tokyo's Narita Airport and transfers (included in the package price) are a combination of bullet train (Shinkanses) and local coach service.
More info call SkiJapan.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass