Resource Japan 2018 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Off current topic, but if anyone is heading to Japan for the first time this pdf might be of use.

I laminated this and carried with me last trip. Some language basics that made life easier, also the locals appreciate any effort!
That's a pretty good little cheat sheet.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I'm glad my once a week japanese lessons were useful. 2 years later and I almost cant remember a thing!
Ditto!
I've got a few different lists, very similar.
Few describing conditions, directions etc. But I need reminding/cheat sheets, my memory is shocking!
My tutor got busy with Uni...
i did something similar
but the japanese see roundeye whiteface man, and want to practice their english instead ;)
Ha ha! True that!!
What is hilarious is when you have that multilingual conversation. The Japanese person speaking English and the Aussie speaking Nihongo. You get a few stares!

Reactions: Any

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
I always try to converse with my Japanese neighbour in Nihongo, but she always replies in English as she wants to practice as well. Sometime it gets rather funny with both mispronouncing things.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
just heard of someone cancelling a Japan ski holiday because of the missiles. the only one ive heard of so far tho.
wondering if anyone else has a glimpse of how bad the backlash might be.

rikedwards

Hard Yards
Sep 6, 2012
Adelaide, SA
just heard of someone cancelling a Japan ski holiday because of the missiles. the only one ive heard of so far tho.

If I die skiing in Japan, I die happy.

If you look at a map, North Korea also kinda have to launch over Japan. There aren't too many other options that wont start WW3.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

If you look at a map, North Korea also kinda have to launch over Japan. There aren't too many other options that wont start WW3.
And the track of the first one (assume the second also) was pretty much taking advantage of the water between Honshu and Hokkaido. Passing over the least densely populated areas possible.

Reactions: Born2ski

globewanderer

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2015

Agreed. If I die shredding through powder I die a happy man. That said though I've got no wife or kids so my perspective is a little different.

Chance of all out war is quite slim. North Korea wouldn't last very long if it got to that point.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
If things get touchy and the country is still open lets hope for the sake of the locals who look after us each year that we still turn up.. count me in.

Reactions: D64133 and LMB

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Will always be a few nervous types. There would have been quite a few who would have cancelled or not booked as a result of the Fukushima incident.

I'm booked in again for Iwate & Akita.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

im certainly still going to japan also.
agree that the flight path is pretty much the path over least land. by the time it passes over hokkaido its something like 500km high too, thats higher than the ISS' orbit.
not only would it be ludicrous to do more than just flex, attacking a sparsely populated area with a nuke would be a total waste of resources, plus there are chinese tourists at ski resorts and one of their only friends right now are china.

in 11/12 there was a 30% drop in niseko because of radiation scaredycats.

trying to get a gauge if this year is going to be a normal, quieter, or a ghost town.
i hope for a ghost town every year, but i know im not going to get it ;p

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
LOL

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if it was even 'quiet'. Last year there was quite a lot of empty apartments in peak times, yet still hella busy. Goes to how many extra accomodation options are out there now.

Demographic might change a bit with the fear. Less western families who are risk averse. But I think the mainland Chinese are going to continue to rise.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Has anyone caught the Shinkansen from Tokyo to SHIN HAKODATE-HOKUTO?

Also, does Takyubin / Black cat do Narita to Niseko?

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
And the track of the first one (assume the second also) was pretty much taking advantage of the water between Honshu and Hokkaido. Passing over the least densely populated areas possible.
So it's a humanitarian act of aggression? ;)

EX1212

Hard Yards
May 18, 2016
Travelling with little kids has turned me into a risk adverse westerner! I havent cancelled but I am certainly alot less excited than I was and am considering other options....

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Has anyone caught the Shinkansen from Tokyo to SHIN HAKODATE-HOKUTO?

Also, does Takyubin / Black cat do Narita to Niseko?
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/shinkansen-vs-flying-tokyo-to-niseko-kutchan.76668/
Ive used both JALAbc and Takyubin from Tokyo to Niseko, 9 days vs 2 days, so I strongly recommend Takyubin

Note that Takkyubin is the name of the luggage delivery service not the company. Yamato Transport is the original and biggest company doing this. They are the ones with the Black cat logo. Other companies are JAL ABC and Sagawa.
2 days should be the norm for Tokyo to Hokkaido regardless of the company. All have counters at the airport just after arrivals.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Thanks @Any we're thinking of taking the scenic route Tokyo to Hokkaido by train so Takyubin it is

By scenic route I guess you mean stopping over somewhere on the way? On the Hayabusa Shinkansen it is only about 4 hours. I've done it as far as Aomori. Morioka would be a good place to stop over if you wanted to break up the trip. If you use regular trains it would be a very slow journey covering the same terrain (probably close to 2 days).

The one issue I had with that Shinkansen was the lack of luggage space so using Takkyubin is probably a fair option if you don't mind the 2 day delivery time.

Reactions: Tanuki

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
By scenic route I guess you mean stopping over somewhere on the way? On the Hayabusa Shinkansen it is only about 4 hours. I've done it as far as Aomori. Morioka would be a good place to stop over if you wanted to break up the trip. If you use regular trains it would be a very slow journey covering the same terrain (probably close to 2 days).

The one issue I had with that Shinkansen was the lack of luggage space so using Takkyubin is probably a fair option if you don't mind the 2 day delivery time.
Yep, definitely Shinkansen and potentially with a stop at Morioka and maybe some time at Appi.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Will always be a few nervous types. There would have been quite a few who would have cancelled or not booked as a result of the Fukushima incident.

Of course you are @Heinz ! I'm planning on a Morioka return, to further explore.

Reactions: Tanuki

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane

Yes it's funny listening to hyped up western news reports. They make you think the missile was only 500m up flying right over the top of Sapporo. Reality is it was about 770 kilometres up and passed mostly between Honshu and Hokkaido, over ocean. And North Korea did similar missile launches back in 1998 and 2009.

479px-North_Korean_missile_launches_over_Japan.svg.png

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Yep, definitely Shinkansen and potentially with a stop at Morioka and maybe some time at Appi.

That would be worth doing, but then you would presumably need to rent gear there if you are using the luggage delivery service.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
That would be worth doing, but then you would presumably need to rent gear there if you are using the luggage delivery service.
Yep, trade off. I've read too many good things about Morioka and surrounds (thanks @Heinz etc) I reckon a few days on hire skis and boots is worth fro the journey

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Yes it's funny listening to hyped up western news reports. They make you think the missile was only 500m up flying right over the top of Sapporo. Reality is it was about 770 kilometres up and passed mostly between Honshu and Hokkaido, over ocean. And North Korea did similar missile launches back in 1998 and 2009.

479px-North_Korean_missile_launches_over_Japan.svg.png
yeah but still not great. NK has historical grievances against Japan and in the event of a war, however unlikely, Japan could be a target. I mean I know nothing, zero, zilch about the history, but there is def a existential risk

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney

What happened to Hokkaido?

ladycamper

One of Us
Jul 16, 2010
Australia
over the counter codeine based medication is banned in japan. they almost treat it in the same categories as things like heroin and marijuana. dont pack it in your luggage ;)

I'm surprised, here doctors have been lobbying to have it made prescription only.....current system works well.

As for the dude in hospital, can't you get anything stronger than codeine or tramadol? One needs pain relief that solidly works, and works rapidly, is IV or intranasal narcotic analgesia.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I'm surprised, here doctors have been lobbying to have it made prescription only.....current system works well.

As for the dude in hospital, can't you get anything stronger than codeine or tramadol? One needs pain relief that solidly works, and works rapidly, is IV or intranasal narcotic analgesia.
nsaid drugs work well enough, i guess thats why they dont get much arguement about not using the opiate based ones.
when I broke a couple of ribs and ligaments in march last season kutchan hospital had no problems giving me a heap of great drugs. they didn't volunteer them, I had to ask for something stronger than over the counter stuff, but there was no hesitation.
they were about as strong as taking like 6 ibuprofen every two hours (not recommended!). but they didnt make me sick or have the side effects, and lasted 8-10 hours at a time (so you didnt wake up in the middle of the night in pain).

Reactions: LMB

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010

Yes @Heinz numbers may still be down closer to Fukushima so enjoy the powder. I have had 2 cancellations now, but not for winter (yet). I am running back to back cycle tours and conversion from inquiry to booking is way down with 2 cancellations, the cancelations are not stating reasons but definitely has quietened down my autumn bookings. Might flow on to winter but I think most people assume a solution by then (either good or bad). Doesn't help to have a rocket fly over your next cycle route a day or two before the ride starts. The early morning text warning on the phone doesn't help either. Our house doesn't have a basement to escape to!

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
I just want to flag some issues with Takyubin since last April. The main express delivery company, Kuronekoyamato have rationalised their operations and reduced their service areas, as well changing some of their delivery criteria. This may not flow onto ski bags or ski luggage but has been a pain in the ass for bikes as I relied on them for years but they now say they wont take them (although the local guy here in Furano did on two occasions with apologies for the change). We found Sagawa still taking big items such as bikes with the XYZ dimensions within 220cm, but their network is not as comprehensive (i.e., no counter at Haneda airport) and in some cases we were not guaranteed two day delivery but 5 day. So if anyone is planning to use Takyubin services, it may all be OK, but just to be sure, maybe request your booked hotel to check on your behalf regarding luggage transfer from your origin, destination and luggage size.

Reactions: M_G

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I just want to flag some issues with Takyubin since last April. The main express delivery company, Kuronekoyamato have rationalised their operations and reduced their service areas, as well changing some of their delivery criteria. This may not flow onto ski bags or ski luggage but has been a pain in the ass for bikes as I relied on them for years but they now say they wont take them (although the local guy here in Furano did on two occasions with apologies for the change). We found Sagawa still taking big items such as bikes with the XYZ dimensions within 220cm, but their network is not as comprehensive (i.e., no counter at Haneda airport) and in some cases we were not guaranteed two day delivery but 5 day. So if anyone is planning to use Takyubin services, it may all be OK, but just to be sure, maybe request your booked hotel to check on your behalf regarding luggage transfer from your origin, destination and luggage size.

Just further to this, as of next month, Black Cat will reduce the range of delivery times and increase prices. This is due to the huge increase in delivery business, static wages for drivers, and pressure on those driver (they have 60,000 drivers). Yamato transport delivered 1.8billion packages in the last financial year. They will drop the midday to 2pm delivery times slot, so that workers and drivers can take lunch, which oten didn't happen before.
That removal of delivery time slot will push back delivery times, increasing the previous 2 day delivery time. I haven't been able to verify that they have reduced the service area, only the service.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
D1611C47-2374-4D0C-A89A-BBC5C28BDC82.JPG

Got a real liking for that area back there next feb

I like it. It's Tazawako ski resort. Tohoku region has many potential mountains but they are a lot less developed compared to the mountains in Central Honshu = Nagano and Niigata, so we need to hike to make the most of the great terrains and snow Tohoku mountains have. Fukushima mountains are the closest from where I live and my family has a lodge in Zao, so I often go to Tohoku to ski. Mt.Nishi-Agatsuma & Mt.Naka-Azuma = Grandeco ski resort mountains and Mt.Bandai are my backcountry mountains in Fukushima. I wish there were lifts closer to the peaks. It's tiring to hike to taste the great snow and terrains near the peaks.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@37.6593724,140.1252266,12z/data=!5m1!1e4

Tazawako mountains are really great, but no lifts up around the peaks. There is Shizukuishi ski resort near Tazawako ski resort. Tazawako - Shizukishi - Geto Kogen might be good for 10 days. All Tazawako, Shizukuishi and Geto Kogen have free or 500 Yen shuttle bus services between the ski resorts and the nearest Shinkansen stations, so they are relatively easily accessible.
https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@39.7453587,140.7863814,2467a,35y,38.69t/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e4

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@39.763123,140.7632744,2467a,35y,90h,38.69t/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e4

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@39.7654836,140.8160026,2936a,35y,270h,38.63t/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e4

Last edited:

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
What happened to Hokkaido?

I was initially thinking Hokkaido - like to get back to Asahidake again and maybe looking at a few Sapporo areas. But then a couple of the guys I have been heli-skiing with in Wanaka were going to be in Geto around that time, so I thought I'd join them there and then continue on and do similar to my 2016 trip.

Reactions: Tonester

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Just further to this, as of next month, Black Cat will reduce the range of delivery times and increase prices. This is due to the huge increase in delivery business, static wages for drivers, and pressure on those driver (they have 60,000 drivers). Yamato transport delivered 1.8billion packages in the last financial year. They will drop the midday to 2pm delivery times slot, so that workers and drivers can take lunch, which oten didn't happen before.
That removal of delivery time slot will push back delivery times, increasing the previous 2 day delivery time. I haven't been able to verify that they have reduced the service area, only the service.

That is a pity, but it has been amazing that they have been able to maintain this excellent service at such a low cost for as long as they have, but things do eventually change even in Japan. I haven't actually used the service for a few years myself as recently I have been heading directly to the mountains on arrival and taking my gear on the trains rather than stopping in Tokyo. Will be doing likewise next year.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
That is a pity, but it has been amazing that they have been able to maintain this excellent service at such a low cost for as long as they have, but things do eventually change even in Japan. I haven't actually used the service for a few years myself as recently I have been heading directly to the mountains on arrival and taking my gear on the trains rather than stopping in Tokyo. Will be doing likewise next year.

It seems that the price hasn't changed for 27 years!!!!

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
doesnt sound too bad. in oz, you get a delivery notification for anywhere between 8am and 6pm, and youre expected to be available the whole time. in usa, the delivery just doesnt arrive at all :p
ive never scheduled a delivery for lunchtime anyway. i'd either be out for lunch, or stuffing my face, neither of which are convenient.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
I was initially thinking Hokkaido - like to get back to Asahidake again and maybe looking at a few Sapporo areas. But then a couple of the guys I have been heli-skiing with in Wanaka were going to be in Geto around that time, so I thought I'd join them there and then continue on and do similar to my 2016 trip.
Maybe we'll meet up this time unlike the last time you were there. Do you have dates yet?

Reactions: Heinz

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Maybe we'll meet up this time unlike the last time you were there. You have dates yet?

Maybe. I'll be there Feb 4-17 and will hit Geto, Tazawako, Morioka (for Appi) & Amihari.
And I'm eligible for seniors rates at all of those places now, so even cheaper.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Maybe. I'll be there Feb 4-17 and will hit Geto, Tazawako, Morioka (for Appi) & Amihari.
:thumbs: We'll be around somewhere. We're down in Gifu Prefecture from the 26th Jan before heading north again first week of Feb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass