Resource Japan 2018 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
JAL options for direct Melb > Tokyo and then onwards to Sapporo give you a 4 hour window to get from Narita to Haneda, hmmmm. Has anyone done this before in that timeframe?

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
should be fine. hyperdia.com There is a bus too. Give yourself an hour to get out of customs. can be 30 minutes though. I'm lucky with a re-entry visa. There is usually no one in that line.

Last edited:

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
JAL options for direct Melb > Tokyo and then onwards to Sapporo give you a 4 hour window to get from Narita to Haneda, hmmmm. Has anyone done this before in that timeframe?
Bus would be the most straight forward option. Just subject to Tokyo traffic...but 4 hours should be okay.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Should be ok. There is a direct bus which will be the easiest option. I did this once many years ago and bus did get caught in heavy morning traffic so took longer, but 4 hours to domestic flight should be ok.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
one ticket to sapporo? or ticket to tokyo and another to sapporo?
if its booked through on the one ticket then I believe its up to the airline to give you enough time/etc, and if you dont make it, its on them to find you another flight.
for this reason i always book through, and never run through airports anymore. too many times ive run for a flight, huge amount of stress, then everyone stares at you when youre the last one on, your uncomfortable sweating your ass off and then sticky and smelly for the rest of the trip.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
should be fine. hyperdia.com There is a bus too. Give yourself an hour to get out of customs. can be 30 minutes though. I'm lucky with a re-entry visa. There is usually no one in that line.
Should be ok. There is a direct bus which will be the easiest option. I did this once many years ago and bus did get caught in heavy morning traffic so took longer, but 4 hours to domestic flight should be ok.
Bus would be the most straight forward option. Just subject to Tokyo traffic...but 4 hours should be okay.
Cheers, it looks like JAL want to charge >$380 for the Tokyo to Sapporo leg, another thread quotes Jetstar and Vanilla at less than half. Can anyone post a link to a Japanese booking site for internal flights? If we're going to have to lug our gear I may as well investigate cheaper options

Cheers in advance Tanuki

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Maybe. I'll be there Feb 4-17 and will hit Geto, Tazawako, Morioka (for Appi) & Amihari.
And I'm eligible for seniors rates at all of those places now, so even cheaper.
I'm planning on heading back to Tohoku region in mid to late Feb next year. My one and only day at Geto was a windy washout day, so I'm keen to head back for a better crack at it. Tazawako was great too. I was there when the WC Moguls were on. That was pretty special to watch. Ahhh....so many ski hills too little time. I want to do some more exploration in that part of the world and head a litttle further north beyond Appi as well.

Reactions: Froff Life

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Cheers, it looks like JAL want to charge >$380 for the Tokyo to Sapporo leg, another thread quotes Jetstar and Vanilla at less than half. Can anyone post a link to a Japanese booking site for internal flights? If we're going to have to lug our gear I may as well investigate cheaper options

Cheers in advance Tanuki
Yeah $380 one way seems way over the top. Remember that domestic flights are typically released less than 3 months out from travel...

Now this may have changed in recent years, but you should be able to find flights circa Y10,000 each way or cheaper - try Skymark, Jetstar (Peach??), JAL, ANA.

I believe most flights up to CTS leave from Haneda, but there are also some from Narita sporadically. Could be worth a look to avoid the transfer.

Reactions: Tanuki

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Cheers in advance Tanuki

Skyscanner seems to do a reasonable job. A quick search now shows Vanilla Air doing flights from Narita to Chitose for $121 return in February. Other budget airlines only release tickets a couple of months out. You could look at dates in November/December to get an idea of what else might be available later.

The thing to watch of course with the LCC's are the extras, baggage restrictions etc.

Reactions: Tanuki

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne

Cheers in advance Tanuki

I'll reference the thread later on a PC. But you can try a search as I have mentioned numerous times. Both JAL and ANA do flat rate domestic fares for foreigners. A bit over 10,000Y per sector flat rate.

rikedwards

Hard Yards
Sep 6, 2012
Adelaide, SA
Advice please guys and girls.

I'm heading to Japan in Feb for my honeymoon and am looking for a 2-3 night stay in between ski sessions at Nozawa & Shiga. We've been to Japan a couple of times before, visiting Tokyo and Kyoto.

Can anyone recommend honeymoon worthy places to go in the Nagano, Toyama or Gifu regions? I'm thinking of places such as Shirakawa-go but would appreciate any ideas people might have, or experience accommodation wise. Places with private onsens etc

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Skyscanner seems to do a reasonable job. A quick search now shows Vanilla Air doing flights from Narita to Chitose for $121 return in February. Other budget airlines only release tickets a couple of months out. You could look at dates in November/December to get an idea of what else might be available later.

The thing to watch of course with the LCC's are the extras, baggage restrictions etc.
Skymark charge 1000-1500yen for ski bag, sometimes, so it's not big deal.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
When 50 - 55 years old Japanese people were 20 - 30 years old, there was a big ski boom in Japan, and most Japanese people at the age of 50 - 55 skied when they were between 20 and 30 years old. 50 - 55 years old is the age when people start having grandchildren, and Japanese ski resorts want them to come back to ski resorts with their grandchildren to get new long term ski fans. So people with senior pass should visit ski resorts with their grandchildren;)

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Depends where you are, but Hakuba Valley 60 ,fro Happo & Tsugaike, the rest are 50 iirc.
60 at Shiga Kogen. Nozawa 60. Myoko 55. Niseko 60.
Do you know if they have lift/lunch coupons for seniors?
I've only seen children / adult coupons on places like snow navi.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com

I'm heading to Japan in Feb for my honeymoon and am looking for a 2-3 night stay in between ski sessions at Nozawa & Shiga. We've been to Japan a couple of times before, visiting Tokyo and Kyoto.

Can anyone recommend honeymoon worthy places to go in the Nagano, Toyama or Gifu regions? I'm thinking of places such as Shirakawa-go but would appreciate any ideas people might have, or experience accommodation wise. Places with private onsens etc

Kamesei Ryokan in Togura Kamiyamada Onsen. Talk to the owner Tyler and tell him Nic said to get in touch. Also, it's a bit of a trek, but check Lamp no Yado which is right on the tip of Noto Peninsula in Ishikawa Prefecture. Additionally there's a number of places in Shibu Onsen which are worth checking out. The main inn “Kanaguya” (see reviews) was one of the models for Studio Ghibli’s award winning anime feature “Spirited Away”. Near to the Snow Monkeys and Shiga Kogen.

Last edited:

rikedwards

Hard Yards
Sep 6, 2012
Adelaide, SA
Kamesei Ryokan in Togura Kamiyamada Onsen. Talk to the owner Tyler and tell him Nic said to get in touch. Also, it's a bit of a trek, but check Lamp no Yado which is right on the tip of Noto Peninsula in Ishikawa Prefecture. Additionally there's a number of places in Shibu Onsen which are worth checking out. The main inn “Kanaguya” (see reviews) was one of the models for Studio Ghibli’s award winning anime feature “Spirited Away”. Near to the Snow Monkeys and Shiga Kogen.

If I could like that twice I would. Exactly the kind of things I'm looking for. Thanks M_G

Reactions: M_G

dr80

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 8, 2012
Vic surf coast

Shibu Onsen, Yamanouchi
down the hill from Shiga

Kokuya Ryokan - has private onsens, and there would be others...

50min on local train to Nagano from Yudanaka for day trip

Last edited:
Reactions: rikedwards

travelislife

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 9, 2008
Melbourne

Cheers in advance Tanuki

Key links below. Both have flat 10,800Y fares on full service airlines. Good value.

http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/au/e/wws_common/promotions/share/experience_jp/
http://www.world.jal.com/world/en/japan_explorer_pass/au/?ej=142

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/domestic-flights-tokyo-to-sapporo.75356/#post-3035722

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport released the land prices of Japan yesterday, and many local media have been reporting it. This news say the land price of the base village of Furano ski resort has risen by 5.2% because Australian and Chinese are investing in the village. Chinese people have started investing in Furano, which means Furano ski resort gets crowded during Chinese New Year?. I haven't been to Furano recently, so I don't know how crowded it can be there during CNY.
https://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/article/133220

The village belongs to Kamikawa Sub-prefecture of Hokkaido, and all land prices of Kamikawa Sub-prefecture except the Furano ski resort village have declined. Basically, the prices of almost all rural villages in Japan have been declining since 20 - 25 years ago while the land prices of big cities have been rising recently. The yellow area below is Kamikawa Sub-prefecture.
106659.jpg

Other news say the land prices of Nozawa Onsen and Hakuba had been declining since more than 20 years ago but they have finally almost stopped declining. On the other hand, the land price of Myoko dropped a lot this year too. It was the biggest drop of Niigata Prefecture. The land price of Myoko city has dropped by 5.4% while the land prices of Niigata Prefecture have dropped by only 1.6% on average. A local news paper says nobody wants to live in such a too snowy city. In last December, NHK was reporting about 30 lodges in the base village of Myoko ski resorts were owned by foreigners. The land price of Myoko keeps dropping, which will lead more foreigners to buy accommodations?. I think Myoko city is very potential as a ski / snowboard destination, though.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Myoko is well and truly on the Australian radar now as a top quality ski destination. Surprising to see their land value dropping

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
That would be outside of the ski areas where the foreigners aren't buying.

I agree. Myoko city is large. But, the land value of the whole city dropped a lot considering the new Shinkansen station opened, I think.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
MacEarth keep buying Japanese ski resorts recently, and they own 7 ski resorts in Shinetsu region. Shinetsu = Nagano + Niigata. MacEarth started selling MacEarth Shinetsu season pass. Early bird Shinetsu season pass = 29,800 Yen. If you have already skied in major ski resorts such as Hakuba Valley, Nozawa Onsen, Myoko, Shiga Kogen, Kagura - Naeba and you don't mind skiing in 3 or more ski resorts for 2 weeks or longer, MacEarth Shinetsu season pass might be good:thumbs:. These are the 7 ski resorts.

Ontake 2240
max elevation = 2,240m, longest run = 7,000m
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/nagano/otaki/ontake-2240
1337977954.jpg

Nomugi Touge
max elevation = 2,130m, vertical drop = 730m, longest run = 4,000m
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/nagano/matsumoto/nomugitoge
img_course01.png

Mt.Kosha
max elevation = 1,215m, vertical drop = 515m, course length = 27km in total
https://snow.gurunavi.com/guide/htm/r0023ens.htm
7b5a14b01c07fdad5b328a1e07676843.jpg

Madarao Kogen
Screen-Shot-2016-02-06-at-2.13.28-PM.png

Mt.Norikura snow resort
max elevation = 2,000m, vertical drop = 510m, longest run = 5,000m
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/nagano/matsumoto/mt-norikura
17map.jpg

Kandatsu Kogen
vertical drop = 540m, steepest run = 45", longest run = 3,500m. I think the new run in the image below is impressive. It's off-piste, the steepest is 35" and the average is 30".
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/kandatsu-kogen
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/niigata/yuzawa/kandatsu-kogen
img_trail_map.jpg

Kurohime Kogen snow park
It's a pity the top lift station has been removed and the vertical and the longest run have become shorter.
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/nagano/shinano/kurohime-kogen-snow-park
KurohimeKogen_pistemap.jpg

It's better to rent a car if you buy MacEarth Shinetsu season pass. I assume you won't see many foreigners in these 7 ski resorts. The red = Shinetsu region = Nagano + Niigata. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin'etsu_region
ShinEtsu_region_Small.png

This is the website of MacEarth Shinetsu season pass.
https://macearth360.com/seasonpass/shinetsu/

Last edited:

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC

Shirakawa-go is a pretty small village about 30-40mins depending on route and road conditions from Takayama. Takayama is a proper town, and has a lot of ryokans on the edges of the town that would be what you're looking for. I've only stayed in town, at more of a hotel/high rise than a ryokan, but there are plenty of them around.

All along the valley there would be onsen towns and places you could stay. For an idea of what you want to look for, google Shiobara, it's on the border of Tochigi and Fukushima and it's a proper onsen town.

Reactions: rikedwards

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Shirakawa-go is a pretty small village about 30-40mins depending on route and road conditions from Takayama. Takayama is a proper town, and has a lot of ryokans on the edges of the town that would be what you're looking for. I've only stayed in town, at more of a hotel/high rise than a ryokan, but there are plenty of them around.

All along the valley there would be onsen towns and places you could stay. For an idea of what you want to look for, google Shiobara, it's on the border of Tochigi and Fukushima and it's a proper onsen town.

There's a Minshuku (more down market Ryokan) smack in the middle of Takayama town called Rickshaw Inn.
It's basic but ok, and very easy access. As I recall, there was parking, but check first.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
I stayed at Sun Alpina, it has an onsen on the roof, you can overlook the whole town whilst sitting in a barrel. But it's not very 'authentic' Japanese IMO. And the rooms were just a place to sleep really, but it was nice. The onsen is also open to the public, so even if you dont stay there you can still visit the onsen.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
There's a Minshuku (more down market Ryokan) smack in the middle of Takayama town called Rickshaw Inn.
It's basic but ok, and very easy access. As I recall, there was parking, but check first.
Stayed there in 09. Great little place. I think there is parking across the road iirc. We'll be back there in January but with a car this time.
No onsen though.
Edit. Parking is 800 yen pn according to their website.

Last edited:

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Finally booked our tickets, 2 adults + 1 toddler. Melb->Tokyo direct with JAL, mid Jan for two weeks! Still managed to get a reasonable price, almost identical to the new ANA deal but without the stopover in Sydney. Stoked.

On a side note, is ANA a super premium carrier or something?

Itinerary is pencilled in but we're flexible, likely to be 2 nights in Tokyo, Shink to Appi Kogen or surrounds for 5-7 nights then train down to Zao for 5 nights.

So, can anyone recommend good pension /hotels / ryokan in Zao for 2 x adults and a 4yr old?

Also, the Appi hotel looks good for a resort style experience, but has anyone stayed in a Ryokan that is close by?

Thanks in advance,

Tanuki

Reactions: LMB

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Finally booked our tickets, 2 adults + 1 toddler. Melb->Tokyo direct with JAL, mid Jan for two weeks! Still managed to get a reasonable price, almost identical to the new ANA deal but without the stopover in Sydney. Stoked.

On a side note, is ANA a super premium carrier or something?

Itinerary is pencilled in but we're flexible, likely to be 2 nights in Tokyo, Shink to Appi Kogen or surrounds for 5-7 nights then train down to Zao for 5 nights.

So, can anyone recommend good hotels / ryokan in Zao for 2 x adults and a 4yr old?

Also, the Appi hotel looks good for a resort style experience, but has anyone stayed in a Ryokan that is close by?

Thanks in advance,

Tanuki

Don't know about Ryokans in Appi but there is a pension village about a km down the road from the resort. I stayed at Pension Mutti a few years ago which was very good (much cheaper than the hotel). Owner speaks english, excellent meals and they will shuttle you to/from the ski area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass