Resource Japan 2018 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Just make sure those dates work for you!
It's outstanding value,

It always has been heading up that way when you consider Tokyo - Aomori one way is Y17,000 and Tokyo - Hakodate is Y22,000.

Reactions: LMB

MadPow

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah, got it to work today. Now I have a decision to make. Interested in others opinions. (Sorry if not right spot) I want meal options rather than the one - think cheaper eats than the prince style dinners. We have a yuzawa ski house booked - pros they are above a ski hire shop, are in yuzawa so hopefully meal options, have free shittle for station and ski resorts - so 2 adults and 2 kids can get gear then get driven to Naeba/kagura and gala (thinking one spot each day). Cons - japanese style room with shared bath. The Naeba Prince option has nicer room (but if like shiga kogen) more expensive meals - not much choice, need to arrange transfers, and stuck at resort. Skimg only 3 days 28-31 march - very late, public transport. Which would you choose?

I havent been but from this forum and others we had decided on Naeba for 6 nights with kids. The ski area with Kagura sounds quite large and the ease of skiiing straight out the door is very appealing. Also for that late in the season Kagura is quite high so more snow than others. They have shuttle buses into Yuzawa if you feel the need.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I havent been but from this forum and others we had decided on Naeba for 6 nights with kids. The ski area with Kagura sounds quite large and the ease of skiiing straight out the door is very appealing. Also for that late in the season Kagura is quite high so more snow than others. They have shuttle buses into Yuzawa if you feel the need.
It's a good choice with kids.

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I'm happily still very much old school and still just travel with a single ski bag that I can easily sling over my shoulder so lifting it up to an overhead rack is never an issue.

And I presume you meant rail travel in Austria and Switzerland. I'm not aware that there is much scope for rail travel with ski gear in Oz.

Yes, Austria. Ha!

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Kim is tiny @Heinz
I'm sure she CAN manage, but it's a question of whether it's worth the effort involved.

I'll take tiny LMB although just short is probably more accurate :D I'm all about being an independent female solo traveller but sometimes reality is you're a short woman and there's nought you can do about that. I know this forum is about Japan not Europe but I'm seriously considering hiring skis for my next trip there. I do love my gorgeous skis that Sandy san got for me though and they have more than paid for themselves :thumbs:

Reactions: Sandy

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Good question.
I was going to ask the same about ease of access.

According to the map the nearest station is Tamagawagakurn-Mae and Hyperdia says about an hour, but it is still a couple of kms from that station.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I'll take tiny LMB although just short is probably more accurate :D I'm all about being an independent female solo traveller but sometimes reality is you're a short woman and there's nought you can do about that. I know this forum is about Japan not Europe but I'm seriously considering hiring skis for my next trip there. I do love my gorgeous skis that Sandy san got for me though and they have more than paid for themselves :thumbs:
Time your travel so you can Takkyubin your skis to the hotel when you arrive, and then back to the hotel before you leave.... build in a couple of days sightseeing either side of skiing to do that!!

Reactions: Kimski

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Did you catch a train from Tokyo? How long did it take?
Good question.
I was going to ask the same about ease of access.

We were staying out at Setagaya(near Shibuya) on that trip. One train ride of about 30 minutes plus 15 minute bus ride. With a little walking in between, all up about an hour. The train station to get off at and bus are listed here - http://www.machida-risuen.com/info/

It's not top of the list for foreign tourists so don't expect to see any Gaijin out there.

A few more pics from our trip report.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/myoko-madarao-nozawa-with-the-kids.65023/page-2#post-2288530

Reactions: LMB

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
What? Floating toenails at yukoro isn't reason?
always surprises me that people to go public bath houses at exactly the peak time, yet expect it to be a private pristine spiritual experience.
"went to disney land on a public holiday, during school holidays, on a nice warm calm blue sky spring day, when they had half price tickets, and it was too busy! 0 stars"
yukoro isnt my #1, but its in top 5. the outdoor pool at dusk when its snowing superfat 5cm snowflakes.

Reactions: Froff Life

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
always surprises me that people to go public bath houses at exactly the peak time, yet expect it to be a private pristine spiritual experience.
"went to disney land on a public holiday, during school holidays, on a nice warm calm blue sky spring day, when they had half price tickets, and it was too busy! 0 stars"
yukoro isnt my #1, but its in top 5. the outdoor pool at dusk when its snowing superfat 5cm snowflakes.
Yeah it's pretty magical after a day on the slopes with it pumping down big fat flakes. Quick katsudon then out for a nighter. Gee those were the days. Probably too hectic now.

Melskius

One of Us
Aug 2, 2015
It's a good choice with kids.
Have booked a twin family room A at Naeba Prince with slopeside view. We will use the free shuttle from/to yuzawa. We arrive 3 days after the dragondola to kagura, gondola 1 and night skiing stop. We are only there a few days i just hope some of the restaurants are open mid week so we are not locked into one really expensive buffet (like a shiga). I would have liked to be able to try kagura as well, but with the little ones naeba should suffice (if it holds up at the end of march - weekday opening stops the day we leave).

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
Hopefully the food court is open for you, that gives you 6 or so cheap options

16-5.jpg

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Have booked a twin family room A at Naeba Prince with slopeside view. We will use the free shuttle from/to yuzawa. We arrive 3 days after the dragondola to kagura, gondola 1 and night skiing stop. We are only there a few days i just hope some of the restaurants are open mid week so we are not locked into one really expensive buffet (like a shiga). I would have liked to be able to try kagura as well, but with the little ones naeba should suffice (if it holds up at the end of march - weekday opening stops the day we leave).

There should be a shuttle to Tashiro, accessing Kagura. Or a taxi would also work

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Time your travel so you can Takkyubin your skis to the hotel when you arrive, and then back to the hotel before you leave.... build in a couple of days sightseeing either side of skiing to do that!!

Already sorted. Have three days in Kyoto before heading to Niseko then flying via Hong Kong from Sapporo back to Adelaide :thumbs: First time using Takkyubin but have heard it's not that complicated.

Reactions: LMB and Ramenman

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Already sorted. Have three days in Kyoto before heading to Niseko then flying via Hong Kong from Sapporo back to Adelaide :thumbs: First time using Takkyubin but have heard it's not that complicated.
A tip. Have the place that you are sending the bags to address printed out - in Japanese is even better. If not, then usually a phone number for the place will allow them to search and locate exactly where to send it.

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
A tip. Have the place that you are sending the bags to address printed out - in Japanese is even better. If not, then usually a phone number for the place will allow them to search and locate exactly where to send it.

This. Address & phone number which you can normally get from the hotel website.
It is very easy and works extremely well, though I've only used it a few times myself.

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
Yay, new JR rail pass for foreign tourists to Japan will come:thumbs:. It's Tohoku + South Hokkaido including Sapporo - Niseko - Rusutsu - New Chitose airport area. It's valid for two weeks and you can use the rail pass for five days during the two weeks. It's an ideal pass for the people who ski at Niseko for a week, one day backcountry tour at Hakkoda, 3 or 4 day skiing at Appi or Zao Onsen and 2 day skiing at Geto Kogen or Alts Bandai. It's 19,000 Yen for adult = aged 12 and up, 9,500 Yen for aged 6 to 11.
002l.jpg

001.jpg
That is really good value pass if considering a tour through tohoku then onto Hokkaido even if just one way ( which we are in the middle of planning to do) thanks for the info ramenman

Reactions: Ramenman

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
its not complicated, nor stressful, but suggest budget and expect at least 30 minutes extra for it.
they'll spend 15 minutes stuffing around moving peoples suitcases around before serving you, and then they'll make it appear that checking the address on your form is as complicated as rocket science.
just based on my 3 x experiences anyway.

Reactions: Born2ski and Donza

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Also have a phone number of the destination. It just seems to help.
I agree they faff about.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
There should be a shuttle to Tashiro, accessing Kagura. Or a taxi would also work
Yep, there's a shuttle. Just a word of warning - be careful walking down the road to the Tashiro Ropeway after getting off the bus. Especially if you're wearing ski boots. Came unstuck a beauty there a few years ago.

Reactions: Melskius

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
which is why it helps to have all the details already printed out beforehand.

LMB has already given me the address of where I'm staying in Japanese.

I get to Kansai airport at 9pm and have decided to stay at the airport hotel overnight before travelling to Kyoto the next morning. That way I'm not stressed about trying to sort my gear and trying not to miss a train or bus.

Reactions: Heinz and LMB

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

I get to Kansai airport at 9pm and have decided to stay at the airport hotel overnight before travelling to Kyoto the next morning. That way I'm not stressed about trying to sort my gear and trying not to miss a train or bus.
Airport hotel is great. Big rooms. We did the same in 2011. There is a Lawson downstairs for combini food.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

Smart girl.
Build in redundancies and plan b, c, d and e.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014

Heinz-san worries Geto Kogen might get crowded if I post here?. I rather worry one of my most favorite ski resorts Geto Kogen might go bankrupt again. I mean, the owners of Geto Kogen keep changing even though Geto Kogen is a great ski resort. As you know, the population of cities in Tohoku are shrinking faster and most foreign tourists go to Hokkaido or Nagano - Niigata region for skiing / snowboarding, so most ski resorts in Tohoku are still having difficult time now even though there are many potential mountains in Tohoku. The population of Tohoku is small and it's far from Tokyo, which makes it more difficult for ski resorts in Tohoku to survive.

Reactions: essjaywhy and Heinz

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Heinz-san worries Geto Kogen might get crowded if I post here?. I rather worry one of my most favorite ski resorts Geto Kogen might go bankrupt again. I mean, the owners of Geto Kogen keep changing even though Geto Kogen is a great ski resort. As you know, the population of cities in Tohoku are shrinking faster and most foreign tourists go to Hokkaido or Nagano - Niigata region for skiing / snowboarding, so most ski resorts in Tohoku are still having difficult time now even though there are many potential mountains in Tohoku. The population of Tohoku is small and it's far from Tokyo, which makes it more difficult for ski resorts in Tohoku to survive.

I understand what you are trying to do. Tohoku is still a largely neglected part of Japan from a skiing (and other) point of view, although that is slowly changing. There is a perception that it is further away and harder to get to (whether true or not) and that has always suited me, while it lasts. I'm happy for people to make their own way there to support the local businesses and keep them alive. Just always wary of major developments that want to attract the hordes.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
I understand what you are trying to do. Tohoku is still a largely neglected part of Japan from a skiing (and other) point of view, although that is slowly changing. There is a perception that it is further away and harder to get to (whether true or not) and that has always suited me, while it lasts. I'm happy for people to make their own way there to support the local businesses and keep them alive. Just always wary of major developments that want to attract the hordes.
I concur.
I understand what both @Ramenman and @Heinz are getting at. One of the things that I am seeking in japow is that "undiscovered gem". And there's a few of them, for sure. And the more that is posted here, the less chance of those gems remaining "undiscovered". On the other hand it's a "promote or perish" dilemma, And then there are those of us who just want to "share some of that love" because, well, because we just love talking about things that we are passionate about.
It's a dilemma for sure.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Yes. Basically torn between promoting it and being a selfish bastard and keeping it quiet.
It's really only a small hill. Like a lot of hills in that part of the world. A large influx of foreigners all frothing for pow will not enhance the experience imo.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I think If you like ski resorts like Hakuba Cortina, Madarao, you'll like Geto too. My family own a lodge in Zao Onsen and our ski mountains are mainly in Southern Tohoku = Between Zao and ski resorts in Fukushima. All Geto, Zao Onsen and ski resorts in Fukushima are along Tohoku Shinkansen, so Geto is accessible for me, which makes Geto something more special for me. Geto is great, but a small hill like Cortina, so it's not worth visiting Geto unless you go to other ski resorts along Tohoku Shinkansen. I don't want my favorite ski resorts to get crowded, but for the time being, I rather worry my favorite ski resorts in Tohoku will go bankrupt. I want more people to come to support ski resorts in Tohoku.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
I think If you like ski resorts like Hakuba Cortina, Madarao, you'll like Geto too. My family own a lodge in Zao Onsen and our ski mountains are mainly in Southern Tohoku = Between Zao and ski resorts in Fukushima. All Geto, Zao Onsen and ski resorts in Fukushima are along Tohoku Shinkansen, so Geto is accessible for me, which makes Geto something more special for me. Geto is great, but a small hill like Cortina, so it's not worth visiting Geto unless you go to other ski resorts along Tohoku Shinkansen. I don't want my favorite ski resorts to get crowded, but for the time being, I rather worry my favorite ski resorts in Tohoku will go bankrupt. I want more people to come to support ski resorts in Tohoku.
We'll be visiting Geto after Appi and on our way to Zao

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC

Heinz I wouldnt worry, you should see what happens when I mention the word 'Fukushima' to people. There's min. chance of the Aizu ski areas becoming a destination for gaijin, at least for the time that I would be skiing. Just tell people you need to go through Fukushima to get there and no one will come near you, cos they're pretty much next door to each other, right?

Reactions: Born2skii and Any

bluestick

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2005
northern rivers
The Tohoku area is certainly getting a bit more exposure in mags and places like mountainwatch. Been back a few times now and noticed a slight increase in foreigners. I have become a little reluctant to mention places although it probably makes no difference. Thankfully there are still a few (seemingly) off the radar places to check out and there is tons of backcountry. Its so nice to get lift accessed fresh tracks all day without having to deal with a tour group of 10 frothers and/or others chasing the same thing
DSC02361.JPG

Reactions: Ramenman and Tanuki

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
A good news on Appi. As I mentioned here before, Appi made a tree run course officially for the first time last year, and they are opening another new tree run course which looks a lot bigger:thumbs:. I read a brochure that Appi recently issued to attract more visitors for 2017 - 18 season, and it has a new trail map too. In 2015 - 16 season, Appi didn't have a tree run course, they had one last season and will have two this season. Appi is very potential for tree runs, so I hope they keep making / increasing tree run courses every year:cool:

Reactions: Tanuki

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
A good news on Appi. As I mentioned here before, Appi made a tree run course officially for the first time last year, and they are opening another new tree run course which looks a lot bigger:thumbs:. I read a brochure that Appi recently issued to attract more visitors for 2017 - 18 season, and it has a new trail map too. In 2015 - 16 season, Appi didn't have a tree run course, they had one last season and will have two this season. Appi is very potential for tree runs, so I hope they keep making / increasing tree run courses every year:cool:
I like that, I'll report back late Jan

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014

This is about it. The small blue zone on the right side is the tree run zone Appi made last season. The bigger blue zone on the left side is the tree run zone they are newly adding from 17- 18 season. They should add a lot more tree run zones;)
w_c10_2017.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dumphfish

Heinz

Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
This is about it. The small blue zone on the right side is the tree run zone Appi made last season. The bigger blue zone on the left side is the tree run zone they are newly adding from 17- 18 season. They should add a lot more tree run zones;)
w_c10_2017.jpg

The smaller one is on Nishimori which I enjoyed years ago, but couldn't get to last time as they closed off part of the mountain for winter games. Will have a look at look at that run other side of Sailer when I am there. Should be better than skiing the bump run.

Ssuyk

Hard Yards
Feb 10, 2016
Does anyone know a rough cost of a taxi from Yudanaka Station to around the Takamagahara ski resort at Shiga Kogen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums