Resource Japan 2018 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
While not clearly encouraging immigration, Abe has made a number of changes that have encouraged foreigners to come to Japan, and stay here for a while. There's more facilities in for gaijin all the time, such as increasing numbers of hospitals and clinics catering for English speakers:
http://expatsguide.jp/health-safety/medical-care/hospitals-clinics-tokyo/

Abe has changed the qualification for the Japanese pension from 25 years to 10 years. Everyone doing normal work in Japan (except intra company transferees) has to contribute to the Japanese pension. But with the long qualifying period, gaijin couldn't get their contributed pension money, except for a special clause allowing gaijin leaving Japan, to get a lump sum of 3 years pension, relinquishing any claim to the rest. So for example, if you lived 8 years in Japan, you would lose 5 years of contributed money, so there was no great incentive to stay longer than 3 years. With the changes, staying 10 years is more attractive.

But what's this got to do with population? Staying in Japan for 10 years increases the chances of gaijin marrying Japanese women, and it's more common for gaijin to have children here, than Japanese men. The number of foreign marriages peaked in 2005 at around 40,000/year, when changes were made to immigration laws. This was to combat visa irregularities by women from poorer Asian countries. This had an effect on marriages between Japanese men and these women. Current foreign marriages stand at around 20,000/year, which is around 9% of the total number of foreign residents in any one year.

Interesting stats, 2013:
- Nationality of foreign women married to Japanese men: Chinese 40.4%, Philippine 20.1%, Korean 17.7%, Thai 6.3%, Brazillian about 1%, American about 1%, other 14%
- Nationality of foreign men married to Japanese women: Korean 27.9%, American about 19.1%, Chinese 11.8%, Brazillian 4.7%, British 4%, other 33%. (many of the "other" are men from western Europe, Australia)

** There's a large existing population of Chinese and Korean people, born in Japan, but not citizens. There's a number of ethnic Japanese in Brazil, who were at one stage enticed to "return" to Japan.
If you exclude these, then you get:
- Nationality of foreign women married to Japanese men: Philippine 20.1%, Thai 6.3%, American about 1%
- Nationality of foreign men married to Japanese women: American about 19.1%, British 4%

With recent changes, there are likely to be an increase in foreign residents in Japan, and marriages between gaijin men and Japanese women....

Another thing Abe can do, is to change the work culture in Japan, that sees workers leaving work at 8-9-10-11pm, with little chance to meet women!!!!
Interesting Sandy.
Re the last para - Haven't they been talking about that for years now? Has anything changed in the work culture?

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
transfer from wrong year: :headbang:

So Japan snowseason 2017 has been over for some time.

But how did the election 2017 go? It is not quite over- it rained a lot. Some islands have trouble to bring there wotings in.

Did Abe win as many western media write? Or is it somehow a big more complicated?

It seems LDP did not gain seats. Like always - a outer enemy can be a good friend.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...landslide-tough-north-korea-policy/788412001/

However his strenght in the population and in LDP might not be the same anymore.

We have to wait if "his wife" can help som other schools. Nationalisme has to be watched.

(if election is in an other tread, sorry could not find it)

Last edited:

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Another thing Abe can do, is to change the work culture in Japan, that sees workers leaving work at 8-9-10-11pm, with little chance to meet women!!!!

Interesting story, I once dated a woman in Canada who had previously been in a relationship with a Japanese man. They met and fell in love in Canada, and after some time decided to go back to Japan as a couple. Upon getting to Japan, he started working a full time job. She had not realised in the slightest how demanding the work culture would be on their relationship. With him working long hours, 6 days a week, the relationship fell apart quite quickly and she returned to Canada. Advantageous for me because she was wonderful and I had the chance to get to know her, not so great because she was very wary of committing to another man from overseas.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I have suggested to them a pre-loaded card + levels for different resort, e.g., you'll pay more for Shiga Kogen and Nozawa Onsen than Togari Onsen or Kurohime. That way it would encourage people to try some of the smaller resorts. They agreed in principle but the logistics of getting all of the resorts to agree would be a nightmare. So don't expect to see that happening anytime soon!

Yes, with the current 5 day pass there is no incentive to ski the smaller areas. Just quickly looked up the standard prices for day tickets at the 4 areas you mentioned. Shiga Y5000, Nozawa Y4800, Togari Y4200 & Kuohime Y3900. The pass at a rate Y4200 / day would encourage people to use it at Shiga & Nozawa. For the others they would be better off just buying standard ticket. I guess they are trying to encourage more multiple day use. It is though slightly cheaper than a 5 day any day pass at Shiga at Y21600. Not sure what the right balance is.

Reactions: M_G

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Interesting story, I once dated a woman in Canada who had previously been in a relationship with a Japanese man. They met and fell in love in Canada, and after some time decided to go back to Japan as a couple. Upon getting to Japan, he started working a full time job. She had not realised in the slightest how demanding the work culture would be on their relationship. With him working long hours, 6 days a week, the relationship fell apart quite quickly and she returned to Canada. Advantageous for me because she was wonderful and I had the chance to get to know her, not so great because she was very wary of committing to another man from overseas.
Exactly!!!!!!!!!
It's stupid!!!
It also means that by the time a Japanese guy is 30yo, they often don't know how to talk to women.... and plus a Japanese woman over 30yo is "left on the shelf" (even if she's attractive), so they have to go for a 20s girl, but they have competition from 20s men.
OTOH, a gaijin will look at a 35-40yo Japanese woman, not know how old she is (and don't care) then all of a sudden, she's attractive to these gaijin men!!!!
So the work culture screws up the whole thing.....

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
20171021_164519.jpg
Hey @Sandy. Was having beers with Richard at a local Newcastle pub and noticed this on the wall

Reactions: Froff Life

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Exactly!!!!!!!!!
It's stupid!!!
It also means that by the time a Japanese guy is 30yo, they often don't know how to talk to women.... and plus a Japanese woman over 30yo is "left on the shelf" (even if she's attractive), so they have to go for a 20s girl, but they have competition from 20s men.
OTOH, a gaijin will look at a 35-40yo Japanese woman, not know how old she is (and don't care) then all of a sudden, she's attractive to these gaijin men!!!!
So the work culture screws up the whole thing.....

Reading between the lines, you're saying Japanese men are able to tell approximately how old younger Japanese women are? Remarkable if true! LOL

Reactions: Tonester

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Did 20 years with a Japanese multi national here in Australia.
Over the years I lost a few of my high profile Japanese colleges/friends to suicide after they were .................moved to the side.
Some were moved back due to results, whilst others were moved back due to family circumstance (such as family health which disrupted work........which was appalling). If you were sent back you went from running business to licking stamps.
I hope the work culture changes.

Last edited:

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
transfer from wrong year: :headbang:

So Japan snowseason 2017 has been over for some time.

But how did the election 2017 go? It is not quite over- it rained a lot. Some islands have trouble to bring there wotings in.

Did Abe win as many western media write? Or is it somehow a big more complicated?

It seems LDP did not gain seats. Like always - a outer enemy can be a good friend.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...landslide-tough-north-korea-policy/788412001/

However has his strenght in the population and in LDP might not be the same anymore.

We have to wait if "his wife" can help som other schools. Nationalisme has to be watched.

(if election is in an other tread, sorry could not find it)
I have no idea but I’m interested in knowing more

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
I have no idea but I’m interested in knowing more
A little preelection info her:
https://news.cgtn.com/news/336b544f77597a6333566d54/share_p.html

And a little pastelection analyse:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...r-japan-after-abes-landslide-election-victory

@person s
Any comments - you are knowable in these fields?

Edit:
I can see no landslide victory for Abe, as many news news-agency report.
LDP has the same number of sets
Komeito lost some sets.
Together they have now less sets then before - they still have 2/3 majority, but the true winner is Edano with his new party.

Abe was afraid of both Eano's new party and Kiboo, that is why he called for elections now, before these two new parties had established them self firmly.

Abe might get more opposition from inside LDP, and may be Eano is the man of the future. He was great under the Tohoku Earthquake aftermath, as cabinet secretary.

Of course Abe's strategy worked out well, but it is not a landslide victory.

Last edited:

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006
Getting visitors to visit smaller ski areas is also hard because of access. Car hire, public transport.
Maybe if you could buy a car more easily than access becomes a little easier.
Car hire for a longer period of time is expensive. Cars are cheap to buy but you must have a resident card to be able to register.
Opening up this avenue give people easier access to smaller resorts, which hopefully contribute to their growth/sustainability.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Getting visitors to visit smaller ski areas is also hard because of access. Car hire, public transport.
Maybe if you could buy a car more easily than access becomes a little easier.
Car hire for a longer period of time is expensive. Cars are cheap to buy but you must have a resident card to be able to register.
Opening up this avenue give people easier access to smaller resorts, which hopefully contribute to their growth/sustainability.
Sounds like a great idea.... BUT im sure theres lots of reasons why its not a good idea..:(

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Sounds like a great idea.... BUT im sure theres lots of reasons why its not a good idea..:(
could turn the resorts into a mini perisher.
45minute traffic jam every morning. and on the weekends people are turned away cause too many cars not enough parking.

argento

Hard Yards
Jul 30, 2012
anyone familiar with a skiing instructor in Furano? I'd like the better half to take a lessons to get more confidence and venture out to intermediate runs.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Like the % of tourists staying long enough for this to valuable is tiny.

I'd imagine the average trip duration is 2 weeks, with far more staying 1 week or 10 days than even 3 or 4 weeks, let alone 1 or 2 months.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast

I'd imagine the average trip duration is 2 weeks, with far more staying 1 week or 10 days than even 3 or 4 weeks, let alone 1 or 2 months.
Id love to stay for a month or so, having access to cheaper options for transport would be an advantage, but I get your point..:)

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006

A wingroad from IIyama is around 173000Yen ($1960AU)https://nissan-rentacar.com/reserve/eng/car-search/
for 10 days, so most people would decide to stay at say Nozawa for the 10 days rather than travel, spend their coin in the 1 town (which is great) and then leave. This discussion is about trying to support small ski hills and support the whole industry, not just the majors.
I can hire a Camry in melbourne for $360 for 10 days, https://www.budget.com.au/en/reservation#/extras
IMO
If there was a more cost effective way of getting a car for this then you would travel to other ski-jo's and spread the money around. There are around 70 places to visit within an hour

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
A wingroad from IIyama is around 173000Yen ($1960AU)https://nissan-rentacar.com/reserve/eng/car-search/
for 10 days, so most people would decide to stay at say Nozawa for the 10 days rather than travel, spend their coin in the 1 town (which is great) and then leave. This discussion is about trying to support small ski hills and support the whole industry, not just the majors.
I can hire a Camry in melbourne for $360 for 10 days, https://www.budget.com.au/en/reservation#/extras
IMO
If there was a more cost effective way of getting a car for this then you would travel to other ski-jo's and spread the money around. There are around 70 places to visit within an hour
That's crazy expensive! Should be less than that for a one month hire.
This ^^^
I hired a 4WD Toyota Corolla Fielder station wagon in Hokkaido for 5 days, for 26,000yen.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
sorry
54,900yen for ten days hire.
JR nagano stations eg Iiyama
3506.jpg
Nissan Car Rental Nagano Eki Higashiguchi > Outlet Information > Map 2 minutes walking from JR Nagano Sta.
ToCoo! Japan Traveler Support Plan
970.jpg
noimage.jpg

noimage.jpg

Car type : Estate Car
Car class : P-5(Non-smoking)
Price Rate : -
Capacity : 5passenger(s)(Recommend Passenger Number:4)
Example models
(model can NOT be chosen)
: WINGROAD
› Car Detail
Stock : 4 Car(s) Left › About Icons

Choosable Option

• ico_option_367.png
  • ico_option_9066.png
  • Snow tires are equipped
Regular price Drop off fee Option Fee Total Regular price ToCoo! Special Price
74,400yen + 0yen + 0yen = 74,400yen ▷ 54,900yen SAVE 26%! プラン詳細へ

Reactions: hatto

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
sorry
54,900yen for ten days hire.
JR nagano stations eg Iiyama
3506.jpg
Nissan Car Rental Nagano Eki Higashiguchi > Outlet Information > Map 2 minutes walking from JR Nagano Sta.
ToCoo! Japan Traveler Support Plan
970.jpg
noimage.jpg

noimage.jpg

Car type : Estate Car
Car class : P-5(Non-smoking)
Price Rate : -
Capacity : 5passenger(s)(Recommend Passenger Number:4)
Example models
(model can NOT be chosen)
: WINGROAD
› Car Detail
Stock : 4 Car(s) Left › About Icons

Choosable Option

• ico_option_367.png
  • ico_option_9066.png
  • Snow tires are equipped
Regular price Drop off fee Option Fee Total Regular price ToCoo! Special Price
74,400yen + 0yen + 0yen = 74,400yen ▷ 54,900yen SAVE 26%! プラン詳細へ
That's more like it. Don't forget the 800y per day ToCoo comm.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Reactions: hatto and nfip

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
anyone familiar with a skiing instructor in Furano? I'd like the better half to take a lessons to get more confidence and venture out to intermediate runs.
I know there's at least a couple Perisher coaches that have worked there the past couple of years. You won't have trouble finding English speaking ski instructors there

Reactions: argento

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Big push to get JAL and ANA to do direct Perth-Tokyo flights.

TourismWA and Govt reps are in Tokyo at the moment trying to get this happening. Their focus is to get Japanese visitors to WA, and they are running with the direct flights push now that we've got the Perth-London flight coming.

But this will be a boon for those of us in WA who regularly travel to Japan. And I dare say it will result in more people from Perth choosing Honshu as their ski destination, or at the very least result in people from Perth adding city tourism in Tokyo to their trip rather than just flying in and out of Sapporo.

Reactions: Kimski and Pelm1

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
This week, Appi renewed their Japanese website for 2017/2018 season, and I noticed some new upgrades for the coming season. As I post here before, they are opening another relatively bigger tree run zone newly, and not only that, there are many upgrades coming for 2017/2018. This onsen is one of them. I like this kind of outdoor onsens on snowy mountains. All pictures are from Appi's Japanese website.
win2018_p4_2.jpg

More official backcountry tours, they say. My question is where they will let us ski?
win2018_p9.jpg

A new cafe at the top gondola station
win2018_p8.jpg

Two new snow parks, I guess for beginners and kids.
win2018_p6.jpg

win2018_p7.jpg

New tea lounge, restaurant and bar
win2018_p3_2.jpg

win2018_p5_2.jpg

Some new rooms
win2018_p2.jpg

More new snowguns for longer winter season
251891250_624.v1509077563.jpg

I already love the new owner of Appi:love:. I mean, a company bought Appi in 2016. Since the company started operating Appi, they replaced two old T-bars with two new pair lifts for 2016/2017 season. Within such a very short period, the new owner has brought many upgrades such as new lifts and tree runs:cool:

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Pat on the back to Appi. They're going all in but not in the usual Japanese scatter gun way. They seem to have really thought a lot of things through. I'm impressed.

Similar things have been happening to Tomamu, Arai and Appi now. As you know, a Korean company Lotte bought Arai. Lotte has been investing a lot in Arai and they are re-opening Arai as Lotte Arai Resort this December. A Chinese company bought Tomamu, and the Chinese company also has been investing a lot in Tomamu. New renovated ski-in ski-out hotels and a big ski-in ski-out street which consists of about 10 restaurants and shops will newly open at Tomamu this December. A Japanese company "Asia Gate Holdings Co Ltd" bought Appi but as the name suggests, I heard the people who are actually investing in Appi are investors in Hong Kong. I mean, Asia Gate Holdings is a Japanese company headquartered in Tokyo, but investors in Hong Kong are investing in Japan through the company.

And all three cases happened in the last 3 years. I mean, the Chinese company bought Tomamu in 2014, Lotte bought Arai in 2015 and Asian Gate Holdings bought Appi in 2016. I assume they are aiming at rich Asian tourists.

However, there is a big difference between Tomamu / Arai and Appi. Arai was already dead and Tomamu was dying. So Lotte and the Chinese company didn't need to pay much to buy Arai and Tomamu. Lotte only paid 17 million USD to buy Arai even though the vertical drop of Arai is about 1,000m and it's one of the biggest in Japan, Arai has one of the biggest snowfall in Japan and the two ski-in ski-out hotels are about 20 years old, relatively new. Since ex-Arai resort went bankrupt in 2006, Myoko city had been owning Arai. Myoko city wanted to re-open Arai but nobody wanted to buy Arai for nearly 8 years, so Lotte could buy it only at 17 million USD. On the other hand, Appi was not dying. Kamori Kanko is the previous owner of Appi. Kamori Kanko is the company which own Rusutsu, Sapporo Teine and Sahoro in Hokkaido. Kamori Kanko want to invest more in the ski resorts they have in Hokkaido, so they decided to sell Appi to Asian Gate Holdings. Actually, Kamori Kanko expanded Sahoro last season. They newly opened 5 off-piste courses with a new lift last season. I assume very big upgrades will be brought about to Rusutsu because the president of Kamori Kanko was saying "We sold Appi and will close Space World = a very big theme park in Fukuoka to invest more in Rusutsu" last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: M_G

Hunter

Part of the Furniture
Endless Winter
Aug 21, 2000
goughs bay
That terrain will not attract westerners for more than a couple of days at the very best .............if at all

ARAIMountainandSpa_pistemap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass