Resource Japan 2018 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
That terrain will not attract westerners for more than a couple of days at the very best .............if at all

ARAIMountainandSpa_pistemap.jpg

They don't need to attract Westerners for more than several days at all. First of all, most Japanese ski resorts were made for Japanese people to stay for 2 or 3 days = weekend. Plus, there are many ski resorts in the vicinity. Westerners will ski in Nozawa Onsen, Madarao, Myoko, etc after or before skiing at Arai.

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Ramenman - just to let you know. All these resorts can open up as many tree areas as they want. It is more about avi control of the areas that shouldn't be skied as that is where the foreigners will drop.
Just to make it clear. Open a tree area and it gets skied out (=no more powder) The foreign instinct is to go further across to a banned area to ski untracked powder.
Drop ropes not bombs :)

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Ramenman - just to let you know. All these resorts can open up as many tree areas as they want. It is more about avi control of the areas that shouldn't be skied as that is where the foreigners will drop.
Just to make it clear. Open a tree area and it gets skied out (=no more powder) The foreign instinct is to go further across to a banned area to ski untracked powder.
Drop ropes not bombs :)

Sometimes they should drop a few bombs, clear the avi. They don’t do it

Reactions: essjaywhy

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
That terrain will not attract westerners for more than a couple of days at the very best .............if at all

Well, you'd be surprised, the info page for that resort is getting far more hits than any other resort page I have. What will happen after the first season when the buzz has died down (and sadly/possibly a couple of people have killed themselves heading OOB) is a moot point.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
What will happen after the first season when the buzz has died down (and sadly/possibly a couple of people have killed themselves heading OOB) is a moot point.
This is a concern for everywhere that has off piste access. The controls aren't good enough, combined with too many people who follow tracks without understanding the risk and how to mitigate it.

It's one thing to do nothing, ban access outside of inbounds and controlled terrain, roping anything remotely dodgy off, then calling rule breaker when someone heads out and is a casualty. It's a whole different ball game when you're actively promoting tree skiing and ungroomed bc access but not doing serious Avi control.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myoko.jp
myokoskiresort.com
Arai is opening up a whole lot of areas that will be controlled. The problem is the poor original design where some off-piste sections lead to cliffs, river or waterfall. There has already been chatter elsewhere of how punters are going to duck ropes, but that will only lead them quickly into trouble. They just don't get it.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

That will attract westerners because it's the powder they are after. They have larger open controlled powder areas, not just the marked courses. It gets huge amounts of powder. The upper area you can see has no trees, while other areas just to the south (Myoko, Madarao, Nozawa) have trees at those elevations. The reason there are no trees, is because of the amount of snowpack they have there. When you look at it, there's even less reason to ride at Madarao for more then a couple of days, because, if there was no powder there, it would be extremely boring!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tanuki

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Noz opening on November 25th. Any other resorts announced?
Usually, I don't take so much notice of opening dates. Snowpack depth (top & bottom) at resorts with gondolas is more important early season. Early season at those resorts, you can upload on the gondola, ride near the top, then download at the end of the day. The snow pack at the bottom determines when things are in full swing.

For example, last season in central Japan was a very late start.
December in Nozawa had 161cm. But the first 10 days of Jan had only 9cm of snow. Then the following week had 203cm. Nozawa ended up with 366cm for January. This means that although Nozawa would have opened in late November, and skiing nearer the top and marginal bottom by late December, full cover top to bottom was only really happening by mid Jan.

So for Hakuba, keep your eye on Happo, Goryu/47, Tsugaike & Iwatake, which all have bottom to near top access via gondola.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I know opening dates arent an indication of the seasons snowfall or outlook. It just gets me excited! LOL

Tracking things like resort openings, first big dumps, lower elevation resorts opening etc all help me pass the time until I get there.

Reactions: D64133

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Similar things have been happening to Tomamu, Arai and Appi now. As you know, a Korean company Lotte bought Arai. Lotte has been investing a lot in Arai and they are re-opening Arai as Lotte Arai Resort this December. A Chinese company bought Tomamu, and the Chinese company also has been investing a lot in Tomamu. New renovated ski-in ski-out hotels and a big ski-in ski-out street which consists of about 10 restaurants and shops will newly open at Tomamu this December. A Japanese company "Asia Gate Holdings Co Ltd" bought Appi but as the name suggests, I heard the people who are actually investing in Appi are investors in Hong Kong. I mean, Asia Gate Holdings is a Japanese company headquartered in Tokyo, but investors in Hong Kong are investing in Japan through the company.

And all three cases happened in the last 3 years. I mean, the Chinese company bought Tomamu in 2014, Lotte bought Arai in 2015 and Asian Gate Holdings bought Appi in 2016. I assume they are aiming at rich Asian tourists.

However, there is a big difference between Tomamu / Arai and Appi. Arai was already dead and Tomamu was dying. So Lotte and the Chinese company didn't need to pay much to buy Arai and Tomamu. Lotte only paid 17 million USD to buy Arai even though the vertical drop of Arai is about 1,000m and it's one of the biggest in Japan, Arai has one of the biggest snowfall in Japan and the two ski-in ski-out hotels are about 20 years old, relatively new. Since ex-Arai resort went bankrupt in 2006, Myoko city had been owning Arai. Myoko city wanted to re-open Arai but nobody wanted to buy Arai for nearly 8 years, so Lotte could buy it only at 17 million USD. On the other hand, Appi was not dying. Kamori Kanko is the previous owner of Appi. Kamori Kanko is the company which own Rusutsu, Sapporo Teine and Sahoro in Hokkaido. Kamori Kanko want to invest more in the ski resorts they have in Hokkaido, so they decided to sell Appi to Asian Gate Holdings. Actually, Kamori Kanko expanded Sahoro last season. They newly opened 5 off-piste courses with a new lift last season. I assume very big upgrades will be brought about to Rusutsu because the president of Kamori Kanko was saying "We sold Appi and will close Space World = a very big theme park in Fukuoka to invest more in Rusutsu" last year.
can you please post the link to Appi's new page and the new tree runs? thanks

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010

err, not sure if sarcasm and you want the oods to yourself. But those avi controlled, above treeline areas looks sweet as

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
#######
Ski shop area in Tokyo has started the pre season fairs today!!!!
Kiosks all along the street handing out brochures and some discount vouchers.

I took some info from the Lotte Arai stall.... The are opening Dec 16th.... Looks like an opening special on accommodation.
More to come...

globewanderer

Hard Yards
Aug 31, 2015
#######

I took some info from the Lotte Arai stall.... The are opening Dec 16th.... Looks like an opening special on accommodation.
More to come...

Does that mean your Tokyo Ski/Snowboard Gear Buying Guide 17/18 is coming out soon? :D I'll be there in less than two weeks. Much excite.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Last edited:
Reactions: Froff Life

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
can you please post the link to Appi's new page and the new tree runs? thanks
Japanese version: https://www.appi.co.jp/
English version (not yet updated for 2017/18): http://www.appi-japan.com/

If you click "ツリーランゾーン" under the trail map, the tree run zones will show up.
https://www.appi.co.jp/ski_contents/ski_course_and_lift

And, the upgrades I mentioned yesterday are from "2017-18 winter season topics"
https://www.appi.co.jp/2017-18-winter-season

Reactions: M_G and Tanuki

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
#######

More to come...

One point, there is a new trail at Nozawa Onsen. The only way to get out of the Yamabiko area without walking up a little, was to take Yamabiko E course, which is on the far left as you look down (next to Yamabiko 2 chair).
Then if you wanted to go down Skyline, you needed to take the short Skyline Link chair. I've often wondered why they didn't cut a trail from Yamabiko to Skyline.... well, now they have!! It goes around the back side of the communications towers above Skyline Link lift.

Reactions: munja and Tanuki

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
One point, there is a new trail at Nozawa Onsen. The only way to get out of the Yamabiko area without walking up a little, was to take Yamabiko E course, which is on the far left as you look down (next to Yamabiko 2 chair).
Then if you wanted to go down Skyline, you needed to take the short Skyline Link chair. I've often wondered why they didn't cut a trail from Yamabiko to Skyline.... well, now they have!! It goes around the back side of the communications towers above Skyline Link lift.
Where did you see this , any pics ?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Where did you see this , any pics ?
From a brochure. The ski shop area had its opening fair. I usually go and pick up bags of brochures, lift coupons, etc. (and new info of course!!)
DSC_0103.JPG

It says:
"NEW Yamabiko gelende -> Skyline course Direct course OPEN"

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
From a brochure. The ski shop area had its opening fair. I usually go and pick up bags of brochures, lift coupons, etc. (and new info of course!!)
DSC_0103.JPG

It says:
"NEW Yamabiko gelende -> Skyline course Direct course OPEN"
That makes sense.
That area is odd.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
I think it's more to do with the new mountain president , he quite often opens the mountain with ski patrol of a morning , and is always buzzing around skiing .
Was a sarcastic remark about general western interference into "odd" which is why I have always loved different cultures..........I like odd.

Reactions: M_G

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Transfer magazine have released their 'Definitive Japan Guide' (readable online free) and it's actually pretty decent. Great photos and covers most of the major resorts, plus a surprisingly good number of smaller ones too. Definitely worth a read, all the photos are great too.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I was thinking re flying into Osaka and what resorts would be easiest to get to.
Last time I did it we went to Hakuba...as it was the closest and easiest (major resort) to get to.
However now , with the opening of the Shinkansen to Kanazawa. This isn't really the case anymore.
Its actually faster to anywhere near Iiyama (eg Myoko, Nozawa, Shiga) .
From Osaka. Take the Ltd exp Thunderbird to Kanazawa. Then swap to the Kagayaki Shinkansen. You can leave Osaka at 7.30am and be at Iiyama at 12pm. Thats not actually that bad.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
We're flying into Nagoya for the first time. No Tokyo stay this trip. Anything that shouldn't be missed in the city that has been described by some as the most boring in Japan? :oops:

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
We're flying into Nagoya for the first time. No Tokyo stay this trip. Anything that shouldn't be missed in the city that has been described by some as the most boring in Japan? :oops:
Toyota museum is Ok, Sea world thingy is good but sad..the Castle is Ok.
Nagoya is clean and familiar ...its Ok ish

Reactions: PMG

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I was thinking re flying into Osaka and what resorts would be easiest to get to.
Last time I did it we went to Hakuba...as it was the closest and easiest (major resort) to get to.
However now , with the opening of the Shinkansen to Kanazawa. This isn't really the case anymore.
From Osaka. Take the Ltd exp Thunderbird to Kanazawa. Then swap to the Kagayaki Shinkansen. You can leave Osaka at 7.30am and be at Iiyama at 12pm. Thats not actually that bad.
Given any thought to the Gifu resorts? Up via Nagoya. Looks pretty un-westernized up there

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Given any thought to the Gifu resorts? Up via Nagoya. Looks pretty un-westernized up there
Oh plenty.
They can be a bit hit of miss snow wise (need westerly snow- Like Happo end of Hakuba)...but when they're on, i'm sure they'd be epic.
We drove around there . Its a nice part of the country. Tsuruga bay is nice.
Mind you Japanese do have a habit of not embracing and maximising their scenic view points

Reactions: Froff Life

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
We didn't go and see the farm houses ...They'd be nice under snow
We've been to Takayama before in 2009 but didn't get up to Shirakawa-go because we did it by train. Doing the whole region properly this time with a car.
Can't see much point spending more than 24 hours in Nagoya from what I've researched and your input.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
We've been to Takayama before in 2009 but didn't get up to Shirakawa-go because we did it by train. Doing the whole region properly this time with a car.
Can't see much point spending more than 24 hours in Nagoya from what I've researched and your input.
I did like the supermarkets in Nagoya. Nice seafood down there .
I think of nagoya like i think of Adelaide.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Further to this
7am from Kyoto. arrives Iiyama at 10.35am. Pick up car..Skiing by lunch easy.
Thats pretty frikken good...3.5 hrs travel .

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011

Nagoya has some OK restaurants.

Also, apart from what donna has said, there is a rail museum that looks like a worthwhile half day outing.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Nagoya has some OK restaurants.

Also, apart from what donna has said, there is a rail museum that looks like a worthwhile half day outing.
It has a proper harbour as well .
Quite interesting

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
If you travel with kids, Lego Land Japan?. I have never been there, but Lego Land opened there a few years ago.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Hi brains trust.

Friend is going to Cortina with her partner. Beginner snowboarders.

Looking for recommendations for Snowboard Schools/instructors and hire options there.

He is Aussie, limited Japanese. She is Japanese, Australian citizen. So English speaking classes would be good but not essential if they go together.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass