Resource Japan 2018 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave6

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2006
Brisbane
Full car this time around. @Dave6 has a posse going the week before us, don't know if he has a spare seat. The Chaps and I are having a beer and waxing session this week if you're keen. Certainly a pre-Japan wax is on the cards down the track.
@Beerman can probably fit another one in. PM me if you are interested.

Reactions: BoofHead

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Ouch. My son booked flights for his girlfriend and himself plus another couple just last week. And they want to go to Nara first. Must not mention this sale in his presence...
I'm feeling bad for Sydney friends who booked in the last few weeks too. But I have forwarded to a few who are very happy - hope they score a cheap flight.

Doesn't really help Perth peeps either.
By the time you add Perth to Sydney and Osaka to Sapporo you may as well go Thai or Cathay - quicker/cheaper.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Qantas having intro sale deals on new route Syd(or Canberra) to Osaka. $699 return during ski season dates.

http://m.e.qantas.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=@G8M2Q+xLKoEbg4p3Qsqzn9IXwDlrXC+uYyjjsxpSI7w=&cid=DM1733&bid=322458442
currently trying to book some flights also
ive seen a bunch of good flights from qantas, jetstar and cathay recently.
just thought id recommend people ALWAYS check the baggage allowances and excess baggage fees before booking anything.
when im travelling with all my ski gear, 2 x pair of skis, boots, etc, my baggage is probably something along the lines of about 2 bags, totaling about 50kg (1 x 23kg and 1 x 27kg).

some quick examples (i very quickly worked these out)
- with qantas this would cost $488 extra each way ($122 per 5kg above 30kg)
- cathay looks to be $150 extra each way ($30 for another bag + $12 per kg excess each)
- jetstar looks to be $915 each way ($40 for 15kg + $25 per kg excess)
- jal looks to be $100 each way (2 x 23kg free + 10000yen for the heavy bag)
- korean looks to be $250 each way (23kg + $150 bag + $100 for the heavy bag)
- a random baggage delivery service i chose to compare against (cubeit) looks to be $350 (package deal for 25kg bag + ski/snowboard set)

as you can see choosing an airline for carting around ski gear is important.
you should also be wary of code share. if you book a jal flight, but check in at a qantas desk, youll pay qantas fees.

notes
- i regularly fly jal and korean between oz and japan, so can attest to their prices
- i flew with jetstar with about 50kg a several years ago. it 'only' cost me about $600 instead of $900 because i realized at the last minute and prebooked it. never ever will i fly with jetstar again tho.
- sounds like i must pack the kitchen sink n everything, but it really does add up quickly, just the two pair of skis weighs soo much. reminder also that i spend 6 months overseas each time btw.

Reactions: Vermillion

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Baggage is a biggie for some of us @Any but not so much for others.

I've booked business in and out mainly for the baggage allowances. I got good prices so it's not too bad, probably cheaper than if I booked economy and had to pay for extra bags. Cathay in, Qantas out. Both on sale at the time.

The friends yet to book
March: always hire gear, travel with carry on (I kid you not!!)
Jan: will bring his board kit but minimal clothing crammed into board bag and be under 30kilo easy.
Dec: she always has 2 suitcases plus board bag, he is minimalist, but even so they'll need extra bags.

Everyone's different.
But YES checking the baggage meets your personal needs is rather important if you don't want to get reamed by the extra fees.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
currently trying to book some flights also
ive seen a bunch of good flights from qantas, jetstar and cathay recently.
just thought id recommend people ALWAYS check the baggage allowances and excess baggage fees before booking anything.
when im travelling with all my ski gear, 2 x pair of skis, boots, etc, my baggage is probably something along the lines of about 2 bags, totaling about 50kg (1 x 23kg and 1 x 27kg).

some quick examples (i very quickly worked these out)
- with qantas this would cost $488 extra each way ($122 per 5kg above 30kg)
- cathay looks to be $150 extra each way ($30 for another bag + $12 per kg excess each)
- jetstar looks to be $915 each way ($40 for 15kg + $25 per kg excess)
- jal looks to be $100 each way (2 x 23kg free + 10000yen for the heavy bag)
- korean looks to be $250 each way (23kg + $150 bag + $100 for the heavy bag)
- a random baggage delivery service i chose to compare against (cubeit) looks to be $350 (package deal for 25kg bag + ski/snowboard set)

as you can see choosing an airline for carting around ski gear is important.
you should also be wary of code share. if you book a jal flight, but check in at a qantas desk, youll pay qantas fees.

notes
- i regularly fly jal and korean between oz and japan, so can attest to their prices
- i flew with jetstar with about 50kg a several years ago. it 'only' cost me about $600 instead of $900 because i realized at the last minute and prebooked it. never ever will i fly with jetstar again tho.
- sounds like i must pack the kitchen sink n everything, but it really does add up quickly, just the two pair of skis weighs soo much. reminder also that i spend 6 months overseas each time btw.
50kgs..........Jeebus!!!
I get away with 1 x bag and 1 x ski bag (single pair of 100mm skis and poles) in checked luggage all well under 30kgs for a 3 week trip.
Fly with the Kangaroo.
Boots go in backpack (large daypack) that is under size and weight requirements for hand luggage.
In transit, boots on the back in daypack, ski bag over shoulder and suitcase on wheels rolling along in one hand........even have a hand free to sign autographs!!!! LOL

Reactions: Kimski

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
50kgs..........Jeebus!!!
I get away with 1 x bag and 1 x ski bag (single pair of 100mm skis and poles) in checked luggage all well under 30kgs for a 3 week trip.
Fly with the Kangaroo.
Boots go in backpack (large daypack) that is under size and weight requirements for hand luggage.
In transit, boots on the back in daypack, ski bag over shoulder and suitcase on wheels rolling along in one hand........even have a hand free to sign autographs!!!! LOL
hehe :)
for 3 week ski trip i end up with about 30kg, even with two pair of pow skis, but if there's gonna be a lot of touristy stuff as well then theres extra gear there. for a 3-6 month trip that involves skiing in several countries ... well you get the idea.
my point tho is that the cheaper airlines rely on ripping you a new ******* for baggage fees, and just to be careful

Reactions: LMB and Zimboo

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
It's not just the cheaper airlines though.

Many years ago now (I'm a bit more savvy now!!) my eldest kids had pockets full of change. Like crazy amounts. We had been in Japan for 4 weeks and they'd never spent the coins, just packed their change in their snowboard bags - not even in one place - loose, in pockets, wherever. I did not realise.

Bags were weighed at Narita by J-Qantas staff and we got a bill close to a grand for excess luggage. We were over weight on the way there but let go because 'sports equipment', but they were sticklers in Tokyo, and we were racing to make the connection (just pay it and go!)

Wasn't until I got home and realised we had paid insane amounts to bring home about 3 kilos of 10 yen coins!! And empty meiji packets, and the cardboard packaging of their new buffs, socks with holes in them etcetc.

Kids quickly got an education in not bringing home dead weight! LOL

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
It's not just the cheaper airlines though.
good point, I believe Emirates are the worst.
$118 per kg off the top of my head. luckily I had posted my gear already, otherwise itd be $2500 in baggage fees!

Wasn't until I got home and realised we had paid insane amounts to bring home about 3 kilos of 10 yen coins!! And empty meiji packets, and the cardboard packaging of their new buffs, socks with holes in them etcetc.
last year i sat for a good 45minutes at the unicef donation box putting one coin in at a time. shoulda seen this little kid's mind explode when they got to help.

Reactions: LMB and Zimboo

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
We're travelling with two little kids.

So we're gonna have a pram and baby cot in addition to our ski stuff...

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

BUSINESS!!!
a) if you look hard enough you can get a fare that's not a whole heap more expensive than a regular economy ticket.
b) you'll have plenty of baggage allowance
c) stacks of room to comfortably deal with baby.
d) wife will love you forever!

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
BUSINESS!!!
a) if you look hard enough you can get a fare that's not a whole heap more expensive than a regular economy ticket.
b) you'll have plenty of baggage allowance
c) stacks of room to comfortably deal with baby.
d) wife will love you forever!
We flew business once with our two very young kids (long time ago)..................never again!
Many of the other passengers didn't like having children in their godly zone and let it be known.
If the kids laughed / cried we were told to quieten it down etc by hostess after complaint, actually made the journey less enjoyable than cattle class.
Edit: Believe me our kids have been well schooled about behaviour and it was well within normal behaviour. Think baby cried at take off for a few minutes (due to pressure).

Last edited:

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
We flew business once with our two very young kids (long time ago)..................never again!
Many of the other passengers didn't like having children in their godly zone and let it be known.
If the kids laughed / cried we were told to quieten it down etc by hostess after complaint, actually made the journey less enjoyable than cattle class.
Edit: Believe me our kids have been well schooled about behaviour and it was well within normal behaviour. Think baby cried at take off for a few minutes (due to pressure).
Wow!
That's rude.
Kids are people too.

It's never phased me having kids around me in business. When my own were little there was no way we could've afforded it, so I haven't experienced taking kids in.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Wow!
That's rude.
Kids are people too.

It's never phased me having kids around me in business. When my own were little there was no way we could've afforded it, so I haven't experienced taking kids in.

We're all in economy but fairly seasoned travellers so we'll manage I think! But ski gear plus baby and little boy gear = lots of stuff!

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
We're all in economy but fairly seasoned travellers so we'll manage I think! But ski gear plus baby and little boy gear = lots of stuff!
Tell me about it.
Had 4 remember.
The first trip I didn't have to pack nappies was like nirvana! So much space in my suitcase!
You have my sympathies :p

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Great stuff. My wife used to question why we travelled where we did with our young kids at the time. Now never stops talk/n about them great times. It's all about the planning. P.S. I used to prefer a baby backpack to a pram. First time we travelled with a pram and the backpack (as a backup) I chucked the pram in the bin after 2 days!!!!
Backpack was a earlier version of this:
https://www.macpac.com.au/equipment...-child-carriers/vamoose-child-carrier-v2.html

Last edited:

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Great stuff. My wife used to question why we travelled where we did with our young kids at the time. Now never stops talk/n about them great times. It's all about the planning. P.S. I used to prefer a baby backpack to a pram. First time we travelled with a pram and the backpack (as a backup) I chucked the pram in the bin after 2 days!!!!

We've got an awesome pram. Goes in the overhead on the plane. It's been an absolute lifesaver at times. I'm not a fan of the backpack when I'm trying to shuck a lot of luggage. Wife sometimes uses the front one.

Our 3 yo has been to Canada, Thailand, Singapore, Europe, and off to Fiji soon. Fiji will be our first OS trip with 2 kids.

Reactions: Zimboo and LMB

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
We've got an awesome pram. Goes in the overhead on the plane. It's been an absolute lifesaver at times. I'm not a fan of the backpack when I'm trying to shuck a lot of luggage. Wife sometimes uses the front one.

Our 3 yo has been to Canada, Thailand, Singapore, Europe, and off to Fiji soon. Fiji will be our first OS trip with 2 kids.
Everyone to their own. I used to hate trying to push a pram through snow and or cobblestone. Good vibes and good luck!

MadPow

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
Qantas having intro sale deals on new route Syd(or Canberra) to Osaka. $699 return during ski season dates.

http://m.e.qantas.com/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=@G8M2Q+xLKoEbg4p3Qsqzn9IXwDlrXC+uYyjjsxpSI7w=&cid=DM1733&bid=322458442
I had recently booked return flights for family to Osaka on Asiana and nearly threw my iPhone at the wall when I saw the Qantas specials email come through and it included our travel period!!!!!! HOWEVER, when I went to get the actual prices, you will not get the $699 deals for any dates departing January, except for after 27th, so I feel better now as Asiana was cheaper!.
i checked prices straight after I got the email, so their travel period dates are quite misleading and as it says in fine print (subject to seat availability). In saying that if you manage to grab seats (mainly from Feb onwards see m to be available), its a great deal.

Reactions: Froff Life

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Next Jan will be my 6th trip to Japan, and my first taking my own skis. Booked flights with Cathy Pacific and their generous 30kgs luggage allowance will be more than enough! I am googling ways to pack skis correctly in a double ski bag though. Does anyone use bubble rap or just stuff clothes around the tips and tails?

Reactions: MadPow

Born2ski

Part of the Furniture
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane
Everyone to their own. I used to hate trying to push a pram through snow and or cobblestone. Good vibes and good luck!
You need the stroller sled, with optional umbrella. ;)

SANY0226.jpg

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Next Jan will be my 6th trip to Japan, and my first taking my own skis. Booked flights with Cathy Pacific and their generous 30kgs luggage allowance will be more than enough! I am googling ways to pack skis correctly in a double ski bag though. Does anyone use bubble rap or just stuff clothes around the tips and tails?
Careful with oversized on Cathay....not sure if this has changed, but I remember something about them being sticklers for LxWxD. @LMB might be able to comment?

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Careful with oversized on Cathay....not sure if this has changed, but I remember something about them being sticklers for LxWxD. @LMB might be able to comment?
Good point, I was wondering about that as it states on their website: 'Any baggage that weighs more than 32kg / 70lbs or measures more than 203cm / 80in in total dimension must be repacked into split-up units within these limits. Your bag’s total dimension is the sum of its width, height and length.'

My ski bag is 200cm in length alone....

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Used to be.
But I've not had any issues with snowboard bags in recent years.
But I assumed the easier run had more to do with higher ff status than a change of policy.
But to be perfectly honest the only place anyone has ever taken a tape measure to my bags has been Narita. Everywhere else they've only been interested in weight. Regardless of carrier.

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
I tape some bubble rap around the tips, tails and bindings. I then rap skis in a plastic tarp/groundsheet (the groundsheet also gets used in NZ to kneel on when fitting chains).
I also chuck in stuff like gloves, beanies, socks etc.

Last edited:

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Good point, I was wondering about that as it states on their website: 'Any baggage that weighs more than 32kg / 70lbs or measures more than 203cm / 80in in total dimension must be repacked into split-up units within these limits. Your bag’s total dimension is the sum of its width, height and length.'

My ski bag is 200cm in length alone....
Is there an option to add ski gear to the booking? Like where you choose your seat, select alternative meals etc? Often there is an option for ski gear, bikes etc. Where there is I always select it. I expect it allows the airline to budget their excess cargo space and plan for carrying freight.

MadPow

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
I manage to pack two skis and two kids snowboards in a snowboard roller bag that is 185cm long. I have the two snowboards laying flat on the bottom and the two skis (wifes 158cm, 88 wide; mine 180cm 112 wide) packed side by side with the bindings interlocked between each of the skis and also manage to shove the poles in. I use a little bit of bubble wrap around one of the ski bindings area and then just pad out with some pants in some areas. I'll see if I can dig a photo out.

So two skis in a double bag should be easy, pack them tip to tail arrangement with bindings interlocked between each other and use some bubble wrap or ski clothes for padding/protection in between. Poles should fit in also.

How are you taking boots/helmets.
We pack them into normal checked in luggage bag. Just shove sock, goggle and whatever you can into the boots and helmet.

Has worked for the last two seasons fine, but would recommend a roller bag if you have one

MadPow

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
Is there an option to add ski gear to the booking? Like where you choose your seat, select alternative meals etc? Often there is an option for ski gear, bikes etc. Where there is I always select it. I expect it allows the airline to budget their excess cargo space and plan for carrying freight.
check cathay fine print re luggage as they may have exemptions or bigger limits for sporting gear/skis
I know ANA and Asiana do, although again re-iterate what others are saying Narita check in will meticously weigh and measure the bag to the cm, so read the fine print and print it out and take it with you.

Reactions: Any and Froff Life

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
I had recently booked return flights for family to Osaka on Asiana and nearly threw my iPhone at the wall when I saw the Qantas specials email come through and it included our travel period!!!!!! HOWEVER, when I went to get the actual prices, you will not get the $699 deals for any dates departing January, except for after 27th, so I feel better now as Asiana was cheaper!.
i checked prices straight after I got the email, so their travel period dates are quite misleading and as it says in fine print (subject to seat availability). In saying that if you manage to grab seats (mainly from Feb onwards see m to be available), its a great deal.
You can get them , but with stops .

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Thanks all, great advice. I am only taking the 1 pair of skis, should I pack them side by side with the bindings facing up, and the binding breaks taped up so they sit flat? I'll be sure to wrap the tips and tails with bubble wrap. Helmet and boots I will split between my partners checked luggage and my carry on

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
I feel privileged to be able to leave nearly all my snow gear at the in-laws... no need to worry about bag sizes etc.
I remember I got grief from CrapStar one year when I changing to a domestic flight from GC on the way home about baggage allowances.
My board bag was overweight & they wanted me to take boots & other stuff out and take it as carry on.
The lady checking me in told me to take to the board bag to oversize area, in which I did, but promptly put everything back into the board bag.
When I was boarding, the same lady who checked me was at the gate & the silly person didn't realise I wasn't carrying on the boots & other stuff the told me to take out of the board bag when I was checking in LOL

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Changing topic slightly from luggage, has anyone shopped for touring gear in Tokyo on any of their trips? I think i'll be in the market for a pair of splitboard bindings the next time I go over. Somewhere around Kanda Ogawamachi I guess, i'm just wondering if there are any specialist stores.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Changing topic slightly from luggage, has anyone shopped for touring gear in Tokyo on any of their trips? I think i'll be in the market for a pair of splitboard bindings the next time I go over. Somewhere around Kanda Ogawamachi I guess, i'm just wondering if there are any specialist stores.
Plenty of specialist stores , but expect don't much discount from what I have seen. I might have been there at wrong times though ?

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Plenty of specialist stores , but expect don't much discount from what I have seen. I might have been there at wrong times though ?

It's more about avoiding the "Australia Tax" than searching for anything that's particularly discounted. Might be a couple of hundred dollars to be saved if the prices are even remotely close to actual RRP's.

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
The times running up to the season tends to be expensive for the less common stuff. March/April is a better time.

I'll be there for my usual late January trip, just thinking ahead. I doubt I'll even want to use them on the trip so it'll be something I'd do on the way home. There's still several Bandai model kits from this year sitting at home waiting to be built, so I'll have some room to take them home as carry on. :p

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC

Get the carry bag for your pram/bassinet. It's not weighed, dump heaps of stuff in there. I did this when I went to Hawaii (flew there direct with J*, flew back with Hawaiian + Qantas - dont ask). No airline even questioned a pram case weighing 60lbs. It was full of clothes, shoes and other stuff we'd bought. Seriously, if I could take a pram case everywhere with me I would, but you dont get away with it unless you have a kid with you unfortunately. You do, so take full advantage of this. We have a bugaboo with the case, and there would easily be enough room in that case with the pram + cot and then enough room for ski boots, ski clothing for 2-3 people, helmets and other accessories. It's literally another suitcase for you.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Get the carry bag for your pram/bassinet. It's not weighed, dump heaps of stuff in there. I did this when I went to Hawaii (flew there direct with J*, flew back with Hawaiian + Qantas - dont ask). No airline even questioned a pram case weighing 60lbs. It was full of clothes, shoes and other stuff we'd bought. Seriously, if I could take a pram case everywhere with me I would, but you dont get away with it unless you have a kid with you unfortunately. You do, so take full advantage of this. We have a bugaboo with the case, and there would easily be enough room in that case with the pram + cot and then enough room for ski boots, ski clothing for 2-3 people, helmets and other accessories. It's literally another suitcase for you.
*Imagined Vermillion abducting random kids from airport waiting lounges to boost baggage weight :)

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
This is genius.

I took a superlightweight umbrella stroller and a maitai sling. Minimalist.
Look at the opportunity I missed!!!

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
The bugaboo case is super strong too, nothing got broken out of it and I had tubs of protein and other stuff in there. I think the case + pram + bassinet were 17kg combined, so we almost doubled the weight in the case with goodies.

The other loophole is filling your baby bag with all your drinks for the flight. We had a flask of boiled water for him and some other water (drinking aeroplane water is not advised for little babies) as well as various nappy rash creams and stuff and were well over the 100ml limit, but because it's a baby they waved us through, every single time. Melb, Hawaii and Sydney, no worries. If I did this again i'd take a few small bottles for myself for the flight too.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Lotte Arai Resort have released their new terrain map for anyone thinking of going to Myoko this coming season. Can anyone translate the purple and orange areas?
20431306_1356325237808145_3412924143406811864_n.jpg

Reactions: JoeKing

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
wow they didnt say much. theres a heap of pics and information on other sites if you want gory details.
in summary, theres two new quad chairs going in. one in annupuri and one in hirafu.
both are for beginners, with no new terrain opened up.

annupuri's starts near the gondola base and goes up that big open flat area there. at least itll be easier to get back to the carpark and restaurants there.
xDwIunf.jpg

hirafu's is replacing the beginner ace double chair, but ends slightly higher but not far from where the existing chair its replacing stopped. the chair will probably still stop every 8 seconds like it used to, but 2 extra seats should help with that mayhem.
8eq4gF5.jpg

i heard rumors that the main hirafu ace quad is to be replaced with a six seater for the 2018/2019 season

(i take no credit for the images)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass