1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan 2019 . Planning and stuff.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Donzah, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It is stories like this that make me realise why so many of the Asian population wear facemasks.

2. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us

What are the black birds in Ueno Park? We termed them Ravens until this beautiful one landed on the rail by the steps.

Not black but a beautiful deep irradescent blue.

At home we have a pair of bower birds in the street and the males are the same (no wonder the females like collecting plastic milk tops).

But I digress and now back to regular programming....

fennekeg likes this.
  3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

@Lady Penelope its going great! Have just made ourselves comfortable at @LMB apartment before they leave tomorrow after a week at the Green leaf hotel in Niseko Village.

Cracked 75..8 on ski tracks too! So got my ski legs back! It's been a while! loving the Black Pearl's! And my new boots!

LMB likes this.
  4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Our time in Japan has come to an end, packing this morning and leaving at lunchtime to drive to the airport. Once again I’m sad to be leaving, but thankful I came.

One activity I’d planned on doing (cross country skiing) we didn’t do for lack of us getting organised. But I did another I hadn’t intended to do - targeted skills training for the sb instructors exam. My main motivation is to stretch myself and improve my riding, but who know what doors could open by starting on this journey. Depending on what life throws at us it’ll be next season or the one after (in Japan) that I take it on.

I’ve enjoyed this thread and everyone’s planning and anticipation, as well as highs and lows of their trips - thanks to all for sharing and contributing and helping where you can. The thread only works for the newbies seeking advice if the seasoned players step up and contribute.

If I can leave you with two things - things I’ve practiced while I’ve been here and feel passionately about:

HELP PEOPLE: if you come across someone who you can give a lift to, offer the lift. A young fellow asking if the cash only food stall takes a card, pay for his meal and hear his story. Be interested in people, meet new friends and do kind things.

HELP OUR ENVIRONMENT: we marvel and wonder at the beauty around us, but this season I’ve collected a tonne of rubbish from not only the streets but the pistes! o_O Crushed red bull cans and a glass bottle of Smirnoff on the hill were two of the worst I’ve ever seen. Don’t just slide by and frown - pick it up, show your disgust, and find a bin to dispose of it. Do it in front of others where they will either find shame in having littered previously, or inspiration to make a difference and pick a few things up also. I don’t believe there’s any particular demographic that is responsible for the litter here - it transcends age and nationality - but I do believe if the streets are spotless people are LESS likely to throw their crap on the ground. If it’s already littered they see no harm in a little bit more.

Dumphfish, lncrdj79, fennekeg and 9 others like this.
  5. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

@LMB , absolutely no rubbish in Shiga Kogen.
    Is it an imported western scumbag behaviour in Niseko?
    Happy and safe homeward travels.
    Thx for all your posts.

LMB likes this.
  6. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Without doubt.

Sandy and LMB like this.
  7. LMB

It’s not likely to be the Japanese!

The sheer numbers here, the street food and drinks, and the lack of bins are a bigger contributor than nationality.

But the only people I have seen collecting other people’s litter have been Aussies. (Caveat- I’m sure others do it also)

8. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Should have hit me up for the Cross Country Intro.

If you can carve a medium radius turn on blue runs Snowboard you'll kill the riding component of a Level 1. With your interpreting you probably communicate well, and you've got a heap of empathy. I'd bet on you being a good instructor, as long as your happy to ride for your guests, not yourself. If you want to know more give me a yell.

LMB, Ozgirl and sara777 like this.
  9. LMB

Thank you TP, that is a very kind thing to say.

Yeah, I was looking forward to the cross country but the Yotei day completely destroyed the menfolk and changed the course of the rest of the week. We will get there eventually.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  10. Tonester

Tonester One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

FIANLLY! I made it down to the Orange supermarket in Wolli to get some Yebisu this afternoon.
    I nearly had a stroke when I saw the price. $9 a 500 mL can. :confused:
    Notwithstanding the price, I bought a few. Currently enjoying beeru

Donzah likes this.
  11. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah its expensive. Though a can of craft beer in 500ml can be same price wise

12. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Jeebus, that is expensive. I bought a couple back but mostly Chu Hi. All gone now so have to settle for the Kirin Megumi brewed in Australia.

13. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

There are no bins in most Japanese cities, but also no litter.

Dumphfish and fennekeg like this.
  14. telenomore

telenomore One of Us

No bins surprisingly works well with the locals but makes it hard for foreign tourists. Japan is a recycling master. For example, in Furano we have 8 categories, and the rubbish is separated religiously. The specific plastic rubbish bags are bought from local supermarkets and are colour coded and marked for the area and for each category (except glass/ batteries/paper) and are see through. Each local council issues a 3 month timetable for what categories will be picked up on what day and each local neighbourhood has a steel mesh cage system where you put the relevant rubbish. Your bag also has to have a sticker with your address on it. There is a good reason for this. See through bags mean that the workers picking up the rubbish can check the rubbish bag to make sure the right things are put in the right bag. If the bag fails the inspection, the bag is rejected with a yellow sticker and left in the rubbish cage. And everyone knows who the culprit is! a bit of unsubtle social shaming. I spend most of the non winter part of the year on my bike all though Japan and the lack of broken glass (and other litter) is amazing compared to roads in Australia. Locals here take it home, process it and dispose of it as per local customs. This does become a problem for foreign tourists who are used to bins in public areas but public bins just don't work here due to the above requirements of separating and recycling. I have some sympathy for foreign tourists trying to dispose of litter in this strictly monitored system but taking the rubbish back to the business you bought the food from, for example, is a good start as they will take it and recycle it for you.