1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Resource Japan 2020 / 2021 season Flight info, sales & travel insurance after COVID

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Sandy, Jun 15, 2020.

1. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I know. But a couple of days ago we were being told it was unlikely that we would be able to travel outside Australia this year.

Policy by polie statement. Not even by press release.

2. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

From yesterday:

3. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Japan is one of our big tourist markets so makes
    Sense to open the bubble...

4. Kimski

Kimski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I’m hoping I might be able to get a Japan trip in. I usually fly with Cathay or Singapore from Adelaide but I would think for this trip a direct flight from Australia would be a safer bet.

As Sandy says, elimination is impossible without a vaccine. Australia can’t stay completely cut off forever. It’s like South Australia now dropping 14 days self isolation for everywhere apart from NSW and Vic. There will come a time when the benefits to opening up to ‘safe’ countries will outweigh the risk. Obviously quarantine free flights from destinations such as the US and India are a long way off.

Froff Life likes this.
  5. Kimski

Sorry about the multiple posts :oops:

6. Sandy

Sbooker and Ramenman like this.
  7. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Maybe.
    However (playing devils advocate for a while here because I much prefer your proposition) if we get tourism going and bring a massive tsunami wave of Covid19 into Australia after we effectively didn’t have a first wave (just a lapping at the shores) will that not devastate the economy even more?

M_G likes this.
  8. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Unfortunately I think we're going to have the learn to live with the virus to a certain degree. I agree with Sandy. We're screwed if we don't get back to some semblance of economic normal pretty soon.

Kimski likes this.
  9. Sandy

We now have testing. In the first wave, there was none.
    Have a look at how many travelers have been picked up with COVID:

Of 7461 cases, 4606 came from overseas.... and we know that(61.7%).
    If all those people got in without detection and the R_eff from those people was 1.5, Australia would probably have maybe 74,610, not 7461.
    What's needed is a PCR test before flights and on arrival.

LMB likes this.
  10. LMB

The PCR tests before and after flights sounds like a great option for me. Right now you can’t get a test if you’re asymptomatic unless you fall into one of the specified groups though - so there would have to be availability of tests and testing facilities.
    For me, not wanting to risk my own travel, I’d also go super hard on the non exposure in the 2 weeks leading up to travel - mask use when out, no see ya Mum cuddles before leaving, no massive dance party in the club with the homies before departure. But maybe that can be stipulated to first round travellers - ie: don’t fook this up because the travelling world needs you to prove it can be done without disastrous consequences.

I’d also like to note here that the rate of positives we are seeing in the current crop of “returned travellers” is a bit disproportionate as many of them are fleeing hotspots and would DEFINITELY have given teary good bye for potentially forever hugs and kisses to extended family and friends in those hot spots.

11. Scoober

Scoober One of Us

Pretty annoying I can get cheap flight to Tokyo from Sydney direct @$400 (JAL, QANTAS), but to be cheap on return it wants me to go through Melbourne otherwise @$700+. For a mid JAN departure, end of JAN return. ANA is good at low $900's.

12. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

How is this any different to most other international airlines? As soon as Aus allows international travel to open back up Qantas will put more flights on and employ more staff to fill the market need.

13. Ecstatic

Ecstatic Hard Yards

Airlines can't just ramp up instantly if the borders were to open tomorrow. QANTAS have 100 planes parked in the Mojave desert and have laid off 20% of their staff. They have put a plan in place with the assumption that international travel doesn't start up again until July 2021. Given they are a multi-billion dollar airline, I'd say they've considered this more thoroughly than any of us. To me this is probably the biggest indication a 20/21 season won't be available to Australians.

14. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

usedtacould, Kimski and LMB like this.
  15. Sandy

I've always thought that international travel would not be back to normal for a while, but 50% of pre-virus levels by mid-2021 would be a good outcome.
    MOST of that initially, would be in a bubble (e.g. Aust, NZ, Japan, Taiwan, S.Korea), and IMO, long before mid 2021.

Kimski, LMB, Froff Life and 1 other person like this.
  16. LMB

This is the hope we all hold onto.

17. blowfin

blowfin One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yeah I don't really understand the outraged flavour in the news over this today. I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner. I'm not sure what some of the commentators expected, Qantas to keep on employees so they could get paid for doing nothing? Jobkeeper is one thing, but the airlines are going to have reduced revenue long after it's gone.

Kimski and Froff Life like this.
  18. Kimski

Most of us aren’t expecting to be able to go to the US or Europe to ski this season or visit Bali any time soon. However I’ve no doubt there are people working madly behind the scenes to see what countries in a similar stage to us we can open or borders to for quarantine free travel. Will be interesting to see if China makes the list. They seem to be mostly on top of things, recent Beijing outbreak excepted, but can they be trusted?

Froff Life and LMB like this.
  19. Kimski

Even if the tourist traffic gets back to pre-covid levels there is no doubt businesses will be looking to do much less travel for meetings that can be done through technology.

LMB likes this.
  20. TJ

TJ One of Us

We have a bunch of regulars who have confirmed that if they can get here they will so for us it is a case of sit and wait. At least that will make sure I don't drink the cellar dry. This new 30 minute test would be a good one to set up at the airports to help get things moving. You just know that it will be a shitfight at the airports though when they do start up again. Anyway shoganai is the word they use here (a lot atm) It means "it can't be helped" and is very apt during these times.

Kimski, LMB and telenomore like this.
  21. skinik

skinik Hard Yards

Inside from the academic world, on the issue of international students (the bulk from China): Federal government wants to encourage international students back into Australia for semester 2, 2020, (Aug/Sept) with the bulk of these back by Semester 1 2021(Feb/March) - as part of the essential research funding for universities from international student fees. Education as a sector, funding research, 'open for business'. Essentially, I reckon if they want international students back as early as Aug/Sept this year, business travel will be back at the same time, with tourism to follow early in the new year, albeit with bubble restrictions - Japan, NZ, and trade relations dimensions... And yes, the cost of the 14 day quarantine period (in supervised accommodation) will be passed either to the individual or the institution enrolling the individual...Read that as you may.

22. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

International travel ex Japan took its first step today with a flight to Vietnam for workers. Lots of Japanese companies in Vietnam out of action due to staff not allowed in. Requirements are PCR test on arrival in Vietnam and.. 14 day quarantine. Its not much. but its a start.

skichanger, Froff Life, tot and 2 others like this.
  23. skichanger

On the radio this morning the comment was made that international travel will not return till what it was before till there is a vaccine. To me that means that we will not be traveling to places like USA, Brazil, GB, and Europe where Covid-19 has been rampant. But it does not mean we will not be able to travel to safer places like Japan.

24. Sandy

According to Qantas, they expect to return to 50% of 2019 international flights by July 2021. That is quite a reasonable figure, and it means that a high/medium number of flights SHOULD happen in travel bubbles long before that (e.g. Aust, NZ, Japan, S.Korea, Taiwan)

25. Kash

Kash Addicted

Following this thread with interest. We have return flights to Tokyo from Syd via ANA in mid Jan21 for a family of 5 (bought in Jan20 before the world turned to $hit). At this stage its a 50-50 at best but maintaining optimism we can still go. Interesting that ANA are currently operating regular flights from SYD currently and all through the next 6 months (and I saw an ANA flight fly over the inner west in syd yesterday)? Planes must be very empty.

I realize my first world problem of missing a ski trip is less significant than those whose livelihood depends on getting travel to Japan back up and operating.

26. skichanger

Yeah but the livelihood of many depends on solving your 1st world problem.

We are lucky in that we are not dependent on our lodges for income. But many are and I am quite concerned for a lot of people. We do need to get back to Japan for so many other reasons. Us and many others had to leave in a such a rush that we have not cleaned up after winter (there was still snow everywhere), done any maintenance required and prepared for next winter.

Snowwww, LMB and Kash like this.
  27. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

But who's on the flights ? and how many times a week ?

Saski likes this.
  28. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

Flights from Melb to Tokyo late March to mid April $740, starting to get keen, but still worried after we had to cancel this years trip in April with son :( Thoughts from brains trust, don't want to have cancel two years in a row ?

29. skichanger

Who is that with?
    Book if there are fee free changes.

30. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

JAL,:thumbs:

skichanger likes this.
  31. Sandy

Japan to build virus test centers near airports for overseas travelers
    https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...irport-coronavirus-test-centers/#.XwExuhJS-Uk

Japan plans to set up new testing centers for the novel coronavirus outside three major airports in Tokyo and Osaka, as well as in central parts of the cities, as the country prepares to relax its travel restrictions, a government official said Thursday.

The facilities, intended mainly to test people entering the nation from abroad, are to be built near the airports — Haneda and Narita near the capital and Kansai in Osaka Prefecture — as soon as this summer, the official said.

The government has yet to decide whether to use them for those in Japan who may require evidence they are virus-free to travel outside the country.

Airport quarantine stations currently conduct about 1,000 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests per day, with results confirmed in around one or two days.

The planned construction of the facilities will increase the number of PCR tests that can be performed daily to over 4,000, with health authorities also hoping to reduce virus testing times to a few hours using new methods.

The envisioned testing centers in central parts of the two major cities are expected to be able to provide testing for travelers leaving for foreign countries, and the government is considering issuing certificates for those who test negative.

Only 1,700 foreign travelers are estimated to have arrived in Japan in May, the fewest for any month on record and a 99.9 percent drop from a year earlier, according to government data.

However, the nation is currently in talks with several countries to mutually ease travel restrictions for business people providing they submit negative test results and an itinerary that details where they plan to go during their stay.

Those countries include Australia and Thailand. Japan may also begin talks with Taiwan and Brunei as early as this month, diplomatic sources said Wednesday.

mannyk and LMB like this.