1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan 2020 / 2021 snow season planning

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Snowwww, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I may be there around that time.

elSpike likes this.
  2. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I may be to. ;)
    Thats very generous if that is a offer to show us around. :thumbs:
    But aside from friendly personal guides why dont resorts (Shiga) offer guided groups. Say 2-3 hrs, groups of 10 max. Id be happy to happy to pay 5000 yen each. Would set us up for the rest of the trip. As I have a lower intermediate, I have to be careful where we go. Although with better technique she is getting braver.
    Although she is better in the cat tracks than me as Im reminded often.:rolleyes:

elSpike likes this.
  3. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

A renta-friend.
    I used lessons with a local Japanese girl for a few years in a row for this purpose as well as skill acquisition and having someone to ride with.
    I often think this service would be a great adjunct to some of the private company’s aiming at the bc hardcore - optional add on of the rent-a-friend at a much lower rate for a low key keep you company, show you the best runs for your ability, good places to stop for drink or eats and skills coaching low key along the way. Not quite lessons, not quite a mountain host, not quite bc guide, not quite a babysitter.

elSpike likes this.
  4. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure if you needed to be certified so for staff that are not it can be a income stream working for hire shops ect?
    Probably more complicated than that with red tape ect.

LMB likes this.
  5. LMB

Oh yeah, you’d have to use certified guides or instructors employed as such and insured by the company but I reckon it’d be an add on that would go well in Japan, just from my experience.

But take @Sandy up on his offer if u can, u won’t regret it.

mannyk likes this.
  6. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Hakuba Ski Concierge does just that in conjuction with lessons. Its not cheaper as you are paying for someone's time but is an awesome service our guests love.

Ramenman, telenomore and LMB like this.
  7. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Furano ski resort have had resort hosts for years. Just locals who know the mountain. They are not allowed to show off piste but otherwise, it has been a great service for those new to the mountain. The system is run by the Furano tourism authority in conjunction with the resort. It is free and usually runs two hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon. Those that put there hand up are usually locals who know the mountain, ski well and of course, like to practice their English speaking skills!

Froff Life, mannyk, Hyst and 2 others like this.
  8. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Are there certified guides in Japan?

Unfortunately there are way to many people who come to Japan and then decide to "guide" as a way of getting a free holiday.

And then there are the companies who have no idea. Thinking Ryuoo a few years a go. And the guys who died in the area you are not allowed in at Niseko.

9. oreo

oreo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Because you can low-key get this, but it's going to cost you low-key the same as the 'bc hardcore' day especially if you want the guide to be certified and insured. It's going to cost a fair whack more than 5000 yen. The reason is literally, this is a main function of a guide, being a 'rent a friend' who keeps you safe, shows you the best runs for your ability and some skills coaching. It's just usually in the backcountry or sidecountry. Which is actually what most people are looking to ski in Japan when they hire a guide (or rent-a-friend).

There are certified ski guides in Japan. Both locally certified JFMGA guides and International guides be it IFMGA guides and certified ski guides from various countries travelling to Japan (NZMGA, ACMG, AMGA). Obviously, this year the international guides aren't probably going to be around. But yes, lots of uncertified guides around too.

10. Ret-ro

Ret-ro One of Us

Wow in BC we had a guide each for 2.5 hours for free.

11. The Bluff

The Bluff One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

JAL have cancelled my flight for mid January

International ticket refund due to the effect of the Novel coronavirus pneumonia
    Notice of cancellation of reserved flight
    Thank you for choosing JAL Group.
    This is to inform you that the flights have been canceled as follows...........

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

:(
    $1000 direct return too...was happy with that when booked!

12. LMB

Which is why I said it’d be a good “add on”.
    The scenario that has come up lots of times is the hardcore guys bringing their girlfriends with them to Japan, they get the bc guide and the girlfriends get the inbounds private ski lesson without the pressure and the ability to stop for lunch or a drink or whatever in a more low key way. A number have said this is exactly what they’re after and prepared to pay for it. (Although it shouldn’t be as exxy because you don’t need to provide backpacks, shovel, probe, beacon, prep for snowpack safety, tail guide etc, just one instructor with a lift pass.)

It’s a shame that all the guides won’t be able to be in Japan this season as usual. But to be fair, most of the customers won’t be either. I’m gutted about that, because I’ll likely be one of those no going :cry:

13. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Some are living there! Like Par.
    https://parpowparadise.com/

14. Hyst

Does this picture show the right track for the new gondola?
    If it just goes down I rather ski from Maruike - upper tunnel -Giant, even though I have a short walk over to Giant - (we do not go up- there is a a bit lower easier walk/skating to Giant.slope).

[​IMG]

15. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Looks like you're right, but it makes no sense to have that there. A new high speed, high capacity gondola to the base of a 40 year old double chair??

If they HAVE to put it down in that area, better for it to go another 100m to the base of the Nishitateyama & Hoppo Quads.... as it is, to return to the base of the gondola & Giant, then back up to Yamanoeki, you have to get 50m up the slope back to Giant.
    Here:
    https://www.snowjapan.com/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/463-shiga-kogen-new-pulse-gondola-lift/

It SHOULD go all the way to Takamagahara.
    See here, for discussion:
    https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/latest-ski-tourism-news.82608/page-62#post-4363489

Hyst likes this.
  16. LMB

I’m obviously not expressing myself clearly because I keep being misunderstood in this thread, sorry.

Yes, I know there are a lot of guides and instructors in Japan. Some whom live year round, some Japanese, some internationals who’ve made it their home and even some internationals who have been stuck since Covid. By “ALL” I meant the rest of the usual guides and instructors who ARENT in the country or who won’t be able to get an exemption to get back in (and believe me some people have been returning - ski photog mate from the US did last month).

But because general tourism is unlikely to have restarted the current stock of guides and instructors may well cover demand, albeit not perfectly.

And you may see that past instructors who haven’t worked in a while may come back to it to fill demand as happened in Aus. But who knows...I’m still holding onto a glimmer of hope of being able to get over in Feb-April (I’ve given up on Dec/Jan.)

fennekeg, Hyst and M_G like this.
  17. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Pär has been there at least 30 years. He spotted me in one of the Hirafu mountain cafes back in 1990 and not used to seeing other foreigners had a chat. We then went for ski and he showed me a couple of nice runs. He was on a monoski back then. Caught up with him again later that week and again a few years later when I returned where we did the Goshiki onsen run.

18. Hyst

I came across this info for the lift association
    http://shigakogen.co.jp/pulsegondra

19. elSpike

elSpike I am a Meat Popsicle Ski Pass: Gold

We’ve skied Myoko twice now relying extensively on the bus. It’s fine if you are there early for the first bus and come back on either the third or second last bus. It can be done.

20. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Oh for sure can be done, and I bet (or hope!) the shuttle bus system has improved since I last visited Myoko in 2015. Because oh boy where they crowded!

Having a car is king though, no wording about the bus timetable, guaranteed first lifts and access to some of the nicer 'hidden' onsens.

elSpike and hotsaki like this.
  21. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

And surely less feral kids and happier wife :rolleyes:.

Froff Life likes this.