Japan 2020 / 2021 snow season planning

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Think you may have misunderstood me. We have put our ski/board bags in the trunk of a Nagaden bus on our way Shiga Kogan, but the information on the bus pass site says that Nagaden bus Co. does not accept ski bags?

I know almost nothing on Nagaden Bus Co. But, it seems they have 4 different kinds of buses. 1:Highway bus (Between Tokyo and Nagano station, etc). 2: Express / Resort Direct Bus (it's running between Nagano station and ski resorts such as Shiga Kogen and Nozawa Onsen). 3:Route bus. 4:Charter bus.

Japan Bus Pass is basically for long distance / highway bus. So, I guess you can use Nagaden Bus between Tokyo and Nagano Sta by use of Japan Bus Pass, however, I guess you'll need to pay Nagaden about 1,000 Yen for the shuttle bus between Nagano station and Shiga Kogen. So, the buses of Nagaden between Nagano station and ski resorts accept ski bags, but their highway bus between Tokyo and Nagano might not accept ski bags?. I don't know. They have an English website, so you can ask:)

You can choose another company between Tokyo and Nagano that accept ski bags by use of Japan Bus Pass (I mean, there are some other bus companies that have shuttle buses between Tokyo / Narita and Nagano).

Reactions: Zimbooo

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Think you may have misunderstood me. We have put our ski/board bags in the trunk of a Nagaden bus on our way Shiga Kogan, but the information on the bus pass site says that Nagaden bus Co. does not accept ski bags?

I know almost nothing on Nagaden Bus Co. But, it seems they have 4 different kinds of buses. 1:Highway bus (Between Tokyo and Nagano station, etc). 2: Express / Resort Direct Bus (it's running between Nagano station and ski resorts such as Shiga Kogen and Nozawa Onsen). 3:Route bus. 4:Charter bus.

Japan Bus Pass is basically for long distance / highway bus. So, I guess you can use Nagaden Bus between Tokyo and Nagano Sta by use of Japan Bus Pass, however, I guess you'll need to pay Nagaden about 1,000 Yen for the shuttle bus between Nagano station and Shiga Kogen. So, the buses of Nagaden between Nagano station and ski resorts accept ski bags, but their highway bus between Tokyo and Nagano might not accept ski bags?. I don't know. They have an English website, so you can ask:)

You can choose another company between Tokyo and Nagano that accept ski bags by use of Japan Bus Pass (I mean, there are some other bus companies that have shuttle buses between Tokyo / Narita and Nagano).

As I wrote, Japan Bus Pass is operated by numerous highway bus companies (WILLER is the leading company, though). It seems Keio Dentesu Bus, Alpico Kotsu, Yamanashi Kotsu, Inabus, Shinnan Kotsu and Nagaden Bus = 6 bus companies are running highway buses between Tokyo and Nagano, so you don't have to choose Nagaden Bus between Tokyo and Nagano.

Reactions: Zimbooo

Zimbooo

One of Us
Nov 20, 2017

Yes, you are correct. My bad. The Nagaden bus we took was from Nagano to Shiga, so that was a Nagaden Express service, not a Highway service, so Express could take skis. :)

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
I'd catch a Willer bus purely on account of the name.
I remember they had an oopsie a few years back

AS20150714000898_comm.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Supposing your ski travel is about 3 weeks, skiing in Nagano for 10 days (Nozawa Onsen + Shiga Kogen), spending a few non-sking days in Tokyo and skiing in Iwate for a week by use of Japan Bus Pass (Mon to Thurs 5 day pass),

The Japan Bus Pass = 12,800 Yen

Bus hire Day 1
Take the bus of Alpico Kotsu (they take ski bags, etc) from Narita to Nagano station. It leaves Narita at 9:20 pm and arrives at Nagano station at 6:10 am (You can save the accommodation cost of the night). Take the Nagaden bus from Nagano station to Nozawa Onsen at 7:50am.
1,500 Yen. As long as you stay inside Nozawa Onsen, you won't need to hire a car.

Nozaw Onsen to Shiga Kogen?. I don't know which is the best, but if you use Nagaden, from Nozawa Onsen to Nagano station =
1,500 Yen, Nagano station to Shiga Kogen = 1,000 Yen. Shiga Kogen to Nagano station = 1,000 Yen.

Bus hire Day 2
Take the highway bus that takes ski bags from Nagano station to Tokyo. Have a few non-skiing days in Tokyo.

Bus hire Day 3
Take a highway bus from Tokyo to Morioka that leaves at 11pm and arrive at Morioka station at 6:30am. You can save the accommodation cost of the night again.

Stay at a hotel near Morioka station because there are cheap shuttle buses running from the station to ski resorts. You can hire a car only on the days when you need in front of Morioka station (if you are in a group of 3 or bigger, it might be better to hire a car everyday). Every night and every morning, look at Yuda of JMA's weather station. Yuda is close to Geto. Yuda = +20cm often means Geto has +40cm or even more. Morioka sta to Kitakami sta is only 860 Yen by train. Kitakami sta to Geto Kogen is for free (the shuttle bus is for free). Staying very near Morioka station = Geto is also relatively easily accessible. One Geto Kogen trip from Morioka is 860*2 =
1,720 Yen per person (If you are in a group of 3 or bigger, hiring a car might be better)

Bus hire Day 4
Take a highway bus that leaves Morioka at midnight, arriving in Tokyo next morning. Then, you can save the accommodation cost again. Have a day or two days in Tokyo.

Bus Hire Day 5
Take a highway bus from Tokyo to Narita Airport.

The total transportation cost depends on how many days you hire a car when you are in Morioka. However, you save accommodation cost of 3 nights. So, this 3 week Japan ski travel can be very cheap. It can be a bit too tiring for some or many? people, so you don't have to take midnight buses, though. I was trying to choose the cheapest way by use of the Japan Bus Pass. And you can choose Aizu or Zao instead of Morioka. Aizu = you'll need a car. Zao Onsen = You won't need to hire a car in that Zao Onsen is big, and you don't need to hire a car as long as you stay at a hotel / Onsen Ryokan inside Zao Onsen village (There is Liza World, etc too near Zao Onsen)

Reactions: Hyst

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
I read that and thought to myself “ we put our ski/board bags and luggage in the trunk of a Nagaden bus to Shiga Kogan”. Much research required about routes and bus company service before buying the pass.
Thats a good point I also noted the Nagaden bus took our bags. The bus seems to work well for us in the past. With the extra savings it wont matter paying a extra night accom, if required when needing to use the freight forwarding. Can also add some extra nights to the trip. The only issue is as you say doing the research and communication with the bus company could be a issue. Looking forward to 2022..

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Supposing your ski travel is about 3 weeks, skiing in Nagano for 10 days (Nozawa Onsen + Shiga Kogen), spending a few non-sking days in Tokyo and skiing in Iwate for a week by use of Japan Bus Pass (Mon to Thurs 5 day pass),

The Japan Bus Pass = 12,800 Yen

Bus hire Day 1
Take the bus of Alpico Kotsu (they take ski bags, etc) from Narita to Nagano station. It leaves Narita at 9:20 pm and arrives at Nagano station at 6:10 am (You can save the accommodation cost of the night). Take the Nagaden bus from Nagano station to Nozawa Onsen at 7:50am.
1,500 Yen. As long as you stay inside Nozawa Onsen, you won't need to hire a car.

Nozaw Onsen to Shiga Kogen?. I don't know which is the best, but if you use Nagaden, from Nozawa Onsen to Nagano station =
1,500 Yen, Nagano station to Shiga Kogen = 1,000 Yen. Shiga Kogen to Nagano station = 1,000 Yen.

Bus hire Day 2
Take the highway bus that takes ski bags from Nagano station to Tokyo. Have a few non-skiing days in Tokyo.

Bus hire Day 3
Take a highway bus from Tokyo to Morioka that leaves at 11pm and arrive at Morioka station at 6:30am. You can save the accommodation cost of the night again.

Stay at a hotel near Morioka station because there are cheap shuttle buses running from the station to ski resorts. You can hire a car only on the days when you need in front of Morioka station (if you are in a group of 3 or bigger, it might be better to hire a car everyday). Every night and every morning, look at Yuda of JMA's weather station. Yuda is close to Geto. Yuda = +20cm often means Geto has +40cm or even more. Morioka sta to Kitakami sta is only 860 Yen by train. Kitakami sta to Geto Kogen is for free (the shuttle bus is for free). Staying very near Morioka station = Geto is also relatively easily accessible. One Geto Kogen trip from Morioka is 860*2 =
1,720 Yen per person (If you are in a group of 3 or bigger, hiring a car might be better)

Bus hire Day 4
Take a highway bus that leaves Morioka at midnight, arriving in Tokyo next morning. Then, you can save the accommodation cost again. Have a day or two days in Tokyo.

Bus Hire Day 5
Take a highway bus from Tokyo to Narita Airport.

The total transportation cost depends on how many days you hire a car when you are in Morioka. However, you save accommodation cost of 3 nights. So, this 3 week Japan ski travel can be very cheap. It can be a bit too tiring for some or many? people, so you don't have to take midnight buses, though. I was trying to choose the cheapest way by use of the Japan Bus Pass. And you can choose Aizu or Zao instead of Morioka. Aizu = you'll need a car. Zao Onsen = You won't need to hire a car in that Zao Onsen is big, and you don't need to hire a car as long as you stay at a hotel / Onsen Ryokan inside Zao Onsen village (There is Liza World, etc too near Zao Onsen)

Thanks for the great info, I wasnt aware that you could use Alpico Kotsu from Narita airport.
We wont be traveling at night but still using the day buses even if adding a few extra nights accom, its still a big saving.
You also see and get a better feel of where you are traveling by bus imo, having said that we have used the Shinkansen many times, its great a must do. Using the bus trip as rest days suits us..

Reactions: Ramenman

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Thanks for the great info, I wasnt aware that you could use Alpico Kotsu from Narita airport.
We wont be traveling at night but still using the day buses even if adding a few extra nights accom, its still a big saving.
You also see and get a better feel of where you are traveling by bus imo, having said that we have used the Shinkansen many times, its great a must do. Using the bus trip as rest days suits us..

If you use Alpico between Narita and Nagano, it has to be a midnight bus because they have only one per day and it leaves Narita airport at night, arriving in Nagano station in morning. They have highway bus from Nagano station to Narita airport too and it's also a midnight bus. It leaves Nagano station at 10 pm, arriving at Narita airport at 7 am.

Alpico is good if you want to go to both Tokyo Disney Resort and Nagano. I mean, they have a direct midnight bus between Tokyo Disney Resort and Nagano as well. I think there are some amount of people who are interested in Skiing in Nagano Pref + Tokyo Disney Resort.

Reactions: M_G

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
If you use Alpico between Narita and Nagano, it has to be a midnight bus because they have only one per day and it leaves Narita airport at night, arriving in Nagano station in morning. They have highway bus from Nagano station to Narita airport too and it's also a midnight bus. It leaves Nagano station at 10 pm, arriving at Narita airport at 7 am.

Alpico is good if you want to go to both Tokyo Disney Resort and Nagano. I mean, they have a direct midnight bus between Tokyo Disney Resort and Nagano as well. I think there are some amount of people who are interested in Skiing in Nagano Pref + Tokyo Disney Resort.
Looks like I will be heading to Shinjuku, unlike a lot of Japanese who can sleep anywhere anytime it seems, a night bus trip would not be for us..

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Looks like I will be heading to Shinjuku, unlike a lot of Japanese who can sleep anywhere anytime it seems, a night bus trip would not be for us..

I think midnight bus is especially good for shot stay - small budget travel for tourists from Asia. I know a Taiwanese person who travel Japan about 4 times every year. Each travel = about 4 - 5 days. The total budget is less than 80,000 Yen including flight tickets between Taiwan and Japan. If she goes to Morioka station from Tokyo by Shinkansen, it costs 13,000 to 15,000 Yen (one way) while if she goes to Morioka by midnight bus, it's only 5,500 Yen. Shinkansen Round Trip = 26,000 Yen. Bus Round trip = 11,000 Yen. So, she can save the transportation cost of 15,000 Yen. Not only that, two midnight bus rides (=round trip) means she can save the accommodation cost of two nights as well. Supposing it's 7,500 Yen per night, she could save the accommodation cost of 15,000 Yen. So, 15,000 Yen (transportation) + 15,000 Yen (accommodation) = 30,000 Yen. She could save 30,000 Yen. Her short travel budget is 80,000 Yen, so the 30,000 Yen difference is very big. Because she cuts 30,000 Yen by use of midnight bus, she can stay at a pricy Onsen Ryokan within her budget.

However, when it comes to tourists from Australia to Japan, they'll spend a lot of money by flying between Australia and Japan and their travel plan is longer(at least 10 days for most people). So, 30,000 Yen is not a big saving. Then, many of tourists from Australia will choose "less tiring way" = avoiding midnight bus.

Reactions: mannyk

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
JR Pass is amazingly cheap, but it has to be consecutive days from coming April, so JR Pass will NOT be for long ski travels.

Midnight bus can be not only cheap but also less tiring for some people. For example, If you want to go to Universal Studio Japan (Osaka) before skiing in Nagano Pref and you go by train, the route is "Universal City station - Osaka station - Shin Osaka station - Nagoya station - Nagano station". So, you'll need to change train lines 3 times with big luggage, which can be very tiring.

There is a midnight bus running between USJ and Nagano. You don't need to walk with big luggage at all to change lines (and it's cheaper). Not only that, if you want to arrive in Nagano on the same day, you'll need to catch the train from Universal City station around 6pm, which means, you can only enjoy USJ till 5pm. On the other hand, there is a midnight bus that leaves USJ at 9:30pm for Nagano, and it means, you can enjoy USJ till 8:30pm.

It's actually the reason for me to use a midnight bus between Ibaraki and Osaka. Train from Ibaraki to Osaka's downtown : Local station - Tokyo - Shin Osaka - Osaka (Umeda) = I need to change train lines twice. Midnight bus from Ibaraki to Osaka's downtown : A direct midnight bus is running between Ibaraki's major cities and Osaka's downtown, so I don't need to change a bus / train even once. I think dragging a big suitcase and ski bags for changing train lines a few times is more tiring than a midnight bus for some amount of people.

There are comfortable midnight buses as well. The image is one of them (from a website of a midnight bus "Dream Sleeper").
wst1704150059-p1.jpg

Last edited:

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Nor me. Give some thought to aiming to get to Nagano on the Shink and stay at the Metropolitian Hotel or similar at the station. Makes the next day SUPER easy.
Thanks Pete, we have stayed at the metro on the way to Hakuba from Shiga, the year I stayed with Erik at Back country lodge, the Metro its very nice and very handy.
After the flight theres n**w id get my wife to spend another few hrs getting to Nagano, plus dragging our bags. We did the Nagano shuttle a couple of years ago, which was long but easy so we dont mind the buses. Plus the bus package saves a lot of coin and will enable us to stay a few more days on the trip. All would be a lot easier if we didnt have our ski bags, but we like our own stuff.

Reactions: Lucky Pete

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017
This has gone quiet? Anyone watching the Japanese Yen at the moment, it's quite high making it very tempting to purchase some or look into holiday accommodation for next season. Last year or so had been very bad in comparison - got pretty smashed while there last Feb? Also Jetstar have many more flights out of Coolangatta with some pretty good prices...anyone else onto this?

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017
Have they opened bookings to Japan?

For some of us this would be potential for yet another cancelled flight.
Yeah I think so, at least when going through the process on their website I can pick and choose like normal? Would there be some sort of blockage though via the country?

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Not likely in a hurry, we are already planning for another non international guest winter 21/22.
Interesting your thinking along those lines @Lucky Pete . I am also thinking that is the most likely outcome and making some big changes in our situation accordingly. I hope we are both wrong but I'm reading the tea leaves in the same way. Let me point out, nobody knows and I have no special insight, but, "nobody knows" is fast becoming untenable. Decisions need to be made.

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah right, didn't think the sentiment was falling that way considering where we're at.... surely with vaccine rollouts and the potential for further economic strain on tourism and business, that by end of this year things would open up, at least between some countries. I hope you guys are wrong, I'm seriously missing Japan

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Not likely in a hurry, we are already planning for another non international guest winter 21/22.
Interesting your thinking along those lines @Lucky Pete . I am also thinking that is the most likely outcome and making some big changes in our situation accordingly. I hope we are both wrong but I'm reading the tea leaves in the same way. Let me point out, nobody knows and I have no special insight, but, "nobody knows" is fast becoming untenable. Decisions need to be made.
IMO, there's no way the Japanese Govt will allow the international tourist industry to degrade any longer than is necessary.... I reckon that Japan will let visitors from 10 travel bubble countries in again by June, and vaccinated people in by September(or perhaps as early as mid July), and next snow season will be back in full swing.

It's one thing to be out in country towns seeing how things work there, but there's no sign of any large scale gearing back in Tokyo. Most shops are open like normal. (except for the ones that have closed for good) Trains continue to run without restrictions.
Activity doesn't look that much different to normal around Tokyo, except for lower weekday crowds on trains due to working from home.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
IMO, there's no way the Japanese Govt will allow the international tourist industry to degrade any longer than is necessary.... I reckon that Japan will let visitors from 10 travel bubble countries in again by June, and vaccinated people in by September(or perhaps as early as mid July), and next snow season will be back in full swing.

It's one thing to be out in country towns seeing how things work there, but there's no sign of any large scale gearing back in Tokyo. Most shops are open like normal. (except for the ones that have closed for good) Trains continue to run without restrictions.
Activity doesn't look that much different to normal around Tokyo, except for lower weekday crowds on trains due to working from home.
How ironic that the place where there are more cases seems to be business as usual to the detriment of the places that are taking precautions.

I hope @Lucky Pete and @telenomore are wrong but it is prudent to plan for a continuation of the current situation.

The one thing I have learnt from this is that things can change so quickly. Effectively my life has been turned upside down. I have had my first summer in 10 years. Time to be glad for the good things rather than doom and gloom about things that are out of my control.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I've just had my first full summer since 2012 as well. TBH I quite enjoyed the experience but it has been a very mild summer. If still stuck here in a typical Adelaide summer next year I might think differently!

About 2-3 years ago I was worried about how things were heading in a macroeconomic sense and that was a big factor in my decision to cash out and go. Never thought it would be wildly exacerbated by a pandemic though.

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
How ironic that the place where there are more cases seems to be business as usual to the detriment of the places that are taking precautions.

I hope @Lucky Pete and @telenomore are wrong but it is prudent to plan for a continuation of the current situation.

The one thing I have learnt from this is that things can change so quickly. Effectively my life has been turned upside down. I have had my first summer in 10 years. Time to be glad for the good things rather than doom and gloom about things that are out of my control.
"The good things" is a valuable tropic in itself @skichanger both during and after the pandemic. We could have spent the year in despair but as you say, it is out of our control so, it has been a breath of fresh air once you come to that conclusion and once you get over the economic devastation to the company. The actual time spent not working, for me, has been great. Time with the family, a season of cycling, the salmon fishing a highlight and a winter where I could ski any time. TBH, it has shown me an alternative path and I am not going back to the intensity of the last few years no matter what and when full tourism resumes. There is much more to life.

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017
I'm seeing so many different perspectives here, amazing!. But in the end it's your perspective that counts and how it affects you. I appreciate hearing them though to gain an understanding from another viewpoint. In my own admittingly selfish way, I slave here at my work (non-ski related), spend the 2 to 3 months in the hot / humid Gold Coast and for me I really look forward to (and to be honest, really need!) that 2 / 2.5 weeks away in Japan

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Qantas announced yesterday that they plan on International travel by October, not as many flights and not the same aircrafts but to most destinations as normal except Osaka and some USA at this stage. I was able to make a dummy booking with Jstar from GC direct and Q via Sydney for dates in Feb 2022.
Heres hoping.
J star was under $800+++ return. Not that I would..:whistle:
Edit. Q says bookings without penalty for date changes included.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Qantas announced yesterday that they plan on International travel by October, not as many flights and not the same aircrafts but to most destinations as normal except Osaka and some USA at this stage. I was able to make a dummy booking with Jstar from GC direct and Q via Sydney for dates in Feb 2022.
Heres hoping.
It makes no sense to me that they (Qantas and whoever else decides these things) plan on opening up to Nth America at the same time as they are opening up to asia and Japan. They are not the same. Covid has been managed differently in different places. USA is not the rest of the world and many places have managed Covid far better than USA. This sort of irrational behaviour by those that make the decisions is the main cause of discontent.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Heres hoping.
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about.....
Qantas ALSO sees the writing on the wall. If Qantas(and other tourist businesses) doesn't start heading back towards business as usual sooner than 2022, there may not be a business.

Reactions: mannyk

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

I don't quite understand the "to the detriment of the places that are taking precautions", referring to Japan. Japan has taken a different approach to other countries, that enables economic activity without real lockdowns, while still maintaining a LOW deaths per million(dpm) count.
Japan: 60 dpm
Australia: 35 dpm
Australia has done a remarkable job, but that strategy also looks to extend the isolation of Australia, even with vaccines

Compare:
USA: 1560 dpm
UK: 1787 dpm
France: 1305 dpm
Spain: 1464 dpm
Italy: 1600 dpm

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
It makes no sense to me that they (Qantas and whoever else decides these things) plan on opening up to Nth America at the same time as they are opening up to asia and Japan. They are not the same. Covid has been managed differently in different places. USA is not the rest of the world and many places have managed Covid far better than USA. This sort of irrational behaviour by those that make the decisions is the main cause of discontent.
Australia just started vaccinations, while the US started almost 2 months ago. The US handled the pandemic SO badly, that vaccination is the only way out for them.
But it has had an effect already in the US, with 66 million vaccinated. It's dropped from a peak rate of over 300k/day to under 80k/day. Running at around 6 million vaccinations /day, the danger in and from the US should dwindle by August.
2021-02-25 US cases.jpg

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I don't quite understand the "to the detriment of the places that are taking precautions", referring to Japan. Japan has taken a different approach to other countries, that enables economic activity without real lockdowns, while still maintaining a LOW deaths per million(dpm) count.
Japan: 60 dpm
Australia: 35 dpm
Australia has done a remarkable job, but that strategy also looks to extend the isolation of Australia, even with vaccines

Compare:
USA: 1560 dpm
UK: 1787 dpm
France: 1305 dpm
Spain: 1464 dpm
Italy: 1600 dpm
My comment was in the context of business as usual in Tokyo but rural areas taking precautions. Some of the rural areas will suffer a lot due to the lack of tourism.

e.g. The people I know who had guests who tested positive for covid after they returned to Tokyo were not told by the health authorities about it. The guests had the respect to tell them. They then shut down for 2 weeks. They were not required to. In fact the health authorities were uninterested, The local authorities were better.

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Here is my crystal ball prediction.
Aussie vaccinations will be completed and Aussies will be free to leave but Japanese vaccinations will not be completed before ski season.
A new strain will pop up and will require a booster shot of modified vaccine, conservative baby boomers like tough governments so tough government is what you will get, they enjoy using the power to close borders and it cements their public image as tough on corona so it's good P.R.

Returning travellers will see rules changed over and over again at their expense.
Only the die hards will take the risk.

Reactions: M_G and LMB

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Australia just started vaccinations, while the US started almost 2 months ago. The US handled the pandemic SO badly, that vaccination is the only way out for them.
But it has had an effect already in the US, with 66 million vaccinated. It's dropped from a peak rate of over 300k/day to under 80k/day. Running at around 6 million vaccinations /day, the danger in and from the US should dwindle by August.
2021-02-25 US cases.jpg
Yeah still not going there for a few years. Firstly there are the people who refuse to get vaccinated and then there is the medial system being full due to long covid. If you get injured and need treatment - good luck! Was bad enough before. US$1500 to walk in the door and get no treatment for my mogul skier. Another small fortune when he was the passenger in a car accident. And.... lots more not good stories of those injured skiing over there.

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017
Heres hoping.
Yep that's what I did and got similar pricing, leaving on particular dates that were the cheapest. Similar to what we've payed before. I'm so tempted and the accommodation quotes I'm getting are very competitive also because of the Yen conversion at the moment. What to do what to do....??

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017
Aussie vaccinations will be completed and Aussies will be free to leave but Japanese vaccinations will not be completed before ski season.
A new strain will pop up and will require a booster shot of modified vaccine, conservative baby boomers like tough governments so tough government is what you will get, they enjoy using the power to close borders and it cements their public image as tough on corona so it's good P.R.

Returning travellers will see rules changed over and over again at their expense.
I just must be too naive....you're talking about 10 months away and all we've been through and what they've accomplished with prevention, restrictions and finally vaccinations, it's just hard for me to believe that it won't be ready for the next season!?

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I just must be too naive....you're talking about 10 months away and all we've been through and what they've accomplished with prevention, restrictions and finally vaccinations, it's just hard for me to believe that it won't be ready for the next season!?
He is in rural Japan and has not been subjected to an enforced lockdown.

I just want our politicians to make rational, sensible decisions. We keep having incidents that with some forethought are preventable.

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
He is in rural Japan and has not been subjected to an enforced lockdown.

I just want our politicians to make rational, sensible decisions. We keep having incidents that with some forethought are preventable.
We have had the opposite in fact. We have had the GO TO TRAVEL campaign forced on us which sent countless people travelling all around Japan exposing safe places like my town to Tokyo people daily.
Japanese government never gets things right and the rollout of the vaccine will be no different so I fully expect a series of delays which will run into next ski season.
Japan won't be virus free and the tough aussie gov will do it's thing based on that.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
We have had the opposite in fact. We have had the GO TO TRAVEL campaign forced on us which sent countless people travelling all around Japan exposing safe places like my town to Tokyo people daily.
Japanese government never gets things right and the rollout of the vaccine will be no different so I fully expect a series of delays which will run into next ski season.
Japan won't be virus free and the tough aussie gov will do it's thing based on that.
I don't have the right to have an opinion on the Go To Travel campaign. But I can see both sides of it. The intent is to help but if it has spread covid it will have had the opposite affect. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I don't have the right to have an opinion on the Go To Travel campaign. But I can see both sides of it. The intent is to help but if it has spread covid it will have had the opposite affect. Caught between a rock and a hard place.
The timing and logic of Go To Travel campaign was just really dumb.

IMO, Vaccinations will proceed much quicker around Tokyo. The fact that Japan got the airport testing up and running so quickly (started in early July) is a testament to the ability to organise these specific things in a timely way. They also followed up with phone calls in my 14 days of "isolation", from the Yokohama Health Centre, after I returned from the US at the end of December. The whole testing, checking documents procedure at Haneda Airport was very efficient.... checking QR-code, test, checking docs, test result, immigration, baggage collection, only took 2.5 hours.

One point about rural towns and Tokyo. I've noticed that people coming in from Tokyo (some on Fridays, many on the weekend), that you can TELL they're from Tokyo.... the lack of awareness of social distancing is obvious. Mask wearing is universal in Tokyo, but social distancing is often hard to achieve, and it shows at the snow..... people standing RIGHT behind you in lift lines, some people jumping in with you in gondolas, when it's just not necessary (e.g. with 5 people in line, you can have your own gondola on weekdays)

Reactions: BobGnarly

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth

I agree with this as an outlook.

I’ll be keen to take that risk as I’ll travel for 3 months and modify my behaviour to be as safe as possible. And I’m also prepared for quarantine on return.

But the 2 week vacationers, hide under the doona types and families will wait. This will mean that many accom and service businesses will still suffer next season. Friends who usually earn their income providing those services are making hard decisions to not go next season, and/or run shoestring operations so that the presence is there, but not a bunch of people sitting idle and earning zilch.

Hard times for those who’ve dedicated their lives to the industry.

Reactions: BobGnarly and M_G

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano

I’ll be keen to take that risk as I’ll travel for 3 months and modify my behaviour to be as safe as possible. And I’m also prepared for quarantine on return.

But the 2 week vacationers, hide under the doona types and families will wait. This will mean that many accom and service businesses will still suffer next season. Friends who usually earn their income providing those services are making hard decisions to not go next season, and/or run shoestring operations so that the presence is there, but not a bunch of people sitting idle and earning zilch.

So peeps like yourself will be fine, but it's families who stay for 10 days with rental gear and eat every meal at a restaurant that provide the economic boost across the town.
Peeps with their own accom, kitchens for cooking and season passes don't drop enough coin around town to make a difference.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
So peeps like yourself will be fine, but it's families who stay for 10 days with rental gear and eat every meal at a restaurant that provide the economic boost across the town.
Peeps with their own accom, kitchens for cooking and season passes don't drop enough coin around town to make a difference.
Exactly.

So flights and travel may be back, but tourism that supports business won’t.

Reactions: BobGnarly

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

If 70% of people from greater Tokyo are vaccinated, that's 25 million or 20% of Japan's population. For Niigata & Nagano, this will make it 10 times safer by next season on the slopes.
Here's my protocols for keeping safe, traveling to/from Nagano this season:
- N95 mask with valve. This provides a very good seal.
- Over the top of the N95, I wear one of the light weight stretchy masks to cover the N95 valve. I wear this combo on trains & buses.
- Hand sanitiser and wipes carried. I sanitise/wipe my hands when I touch something (get the wipes out BEFORE you touch something). Do the same when doing a transaction(shop, ticket, etc). Do touchless if possible... I load up my SUICA to the full 20,000 yen. Some restaurants for lunch have touchless only.
- When doing a transaction by cash, use a designated "dirty pocket", where you put you change after you get it. Get it out later and sanitise. (after you finish riding for the day)
- I travel TO the resort on a Sunday, when others are not traveling there. I return from the resort on a Saturday, for the same reason. Shinkansen are pretty quiet on those days. Then I ski mainly midweek.
- Breakfast and dinner are quiet on weekdays. I go to the furthest corner and wear a mask when not eating. At lunch, I have a look in and make sure the restaurant is quiet, also going at 11:30am to beat the rush.

Reactions: LMB

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Exactly.

So flights and travel may be back, but tourism that supports business won’t.
Honestly, I know loads of people who are planning to come to Japan next season, for 10-14 days.
What you're effectively saying is "don't trust the vaccine".
IMO, by December, 95% of those who WANT to be vaccinated WILL be vaccinated in both Australia & Japan.
70% is required for herd immunity.
The way for Nagano/Niigata/Hokkaido resort people to protect themselves, is to be vaccinated. So logically, if SOME Tokyo people are not vaccinated, the resort people will be.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Honestly, I know loads of people who are planning to come to Japan next season, for 10-14 days.
What you're effectively saying is "don't trust the vaccine".
IMO, by December, 95% of those who WANT to be vaccinated WILL be vaccinated in both Australia & Japan.
70% is required for herd immunity.
The way for Nagano/Niigata/Hokkaido resort people to protect themselves, is to be vaccinated. So logically, if SOME Tokyo people are not vaccinated, the resort people will be.
I agree with you Sandy.
Which is why I’m happy to go.

I just don’t think we will see the wholesale travel that many customer service businesses will need to survive until the following season.

Look at Australia - borders shut at a sniffle.
I will be astounded if we have gotten rid of hotel quarantine or even home quarantine by January. We SHOULD, but I just can’t see it happening. Losing half your vacation time to quarantine is going to be a big negative.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass