Japan 2020 / 2021 snow season planning

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I agree with you Sandy.
Which is why I’m happy to go.

I just don’t think we will see the wholesale travel that many customer service businesses will need to survive until the following season.

Look at Australia - borders shut at a sniffle.
I will be astounded if we have gotten rid of hotel quarantine or even home quarantine by January. We SHOULD, but I just can’t see it happening. Losing half your vacation time to quarantine is going to be a big negative.
If all vaccinated people need to go to a QH, what's the point of vaccination?

Reactions: Kimski, PMG and LMB

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017
If 70% of people from greater Tokyo are vaccinated, that's 25 million or 20% of Japan's population. For Niigata & Nagano, this will make it 10 times safer by next season on the slopes.
Here's my protocols for keeping safe, traveling to/from Nagano this season:
- N95 mask with valve. This provides a very good seal.
- Over the top of the N95, I wear one of the light weight stretchy masks to cover the N95 valve. I wear this combo on trains & buses.
- Hand sanitiser and wipes carried. I sanitise/wipe my hands when I touch something (get the wipes out BEFORE you touch something). Do the same when doing a transaction(shop, ticket, etc). Do touchless if possible... I load up my SUICA to the full 20,000 yen. Some restaurants for lunch have touchless only.
- When doing a transaction by cash, use a designated "dirty pocket", where you put you change after you get it. Get it out later and sanitise. (after you finish riding for the day)
- I travel TO the resort on a Sunday, when others are not traveling there. I return from the resort on a Saturday, for the same reason. Shinkansen are pretty quiet on those days. Then I ski mainly midweek.
- Breakfast and dinner are quiet on weekdays. I go to the furthest corner and wear a mask when not eating. At lunch, I have a look in and make sure the restaurant is quiet, also going at 11:30am to beat the rush.
Great tips there @Sandy

Reactions: Sandy

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
And there's not just Aussies, there lots from China, HK, Singapore, Taiwan, all bubble countries..... I think there will be a lot of people riding snow in Japan next season: But Japan needs to require vaccinations for entry.

Reactions: mannyk and LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
And there's not just Aussies, there lots from China, HK, Singapore, Taiwan, all bubble countries..... I think there will be a lot of people riding snow in Japan next season: But Japan needs to require vaccinations for entry.
I hope you’re right for the businesses sake.
And maybe my perception is clouded from having been “locked in” for the last year LOL

skivet

Addicted
Sep 16, 2007
Gold coast
A new product is about to be introduced in Europe next month and then hopefully to Australia/ Japan soon called Viraleze by an Australian biotech company Starpharma. It is 99.99% effective in killing COVID all strains in the nasal cavity. It is a nasal spray used twice a day. Should be very handy when in possible high exposure situations while on flights, when travelling, hospitals and aged care.

Reactions: Kletterer and LMB

PiggabeenBoarder

Hard Yards
Dec 28, 2017

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
Yep read that the other day, love it as that's one of the main places we go and will be going to again!. They're doing some live streaming thing tomorrow arvo I think as well?
in the email I've received there is a link to some live videos but for yesterday 25/02. I'll give it another look later on

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
for those who were interested, Mountain Watch is publishing a 4 episode report about Nozawa Onsen, Hakuba Valley, Myoko Kogen and Shiga Kogen.
https://www.mountainwatch.com/Snow-...-and-wellness-retreat-in-one-at-nozawa-onsen/

Just read the Nozawa page. TBH there's nothing there that you wouldn't find on the Nozawa Holidays site or on a number of the many other places there. Not sure what the actual point of a video is going to be. Maybe others like that kind of stuff.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Just read the Nozawa page. TBH there's nothing there that you wouldn't find on the Nozawa Holidays site or on a number of the many other places there. Not sure what the actual point of a video is going to be. Maybe others like that kind of stuff.
I find MW content 50% advertising or sponsored info, 25% information copied from more reputable sources, 15% helpful stuff and 10% nonsense.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I'm getting FB memories from 2008 appearing on my feed.
Seems like I was in Nozawa then.
Bet its different now.
1929635_8862283177_6635_n.jpg

1929635_8862308177_9980_n.jpg

Reactions: fennekeg

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I find MW content 50% advertising or sponsored info, 25% information copied from more reputable sources, 15% helpful stuff and 10% nonsense.

That's being generous. I have little time for them. Liquid (who own MW) many years ago basically cloned my Myoko site and then tried to argue they'd written all the content.

And ironically, 2-3 years later they dropped the domain and I picked it up - redirecting it to my site. So for another 2-3 years I was getting traffic from the Liquid site because they hadn't updated their links! LOL

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
A new product is about to be introduced in Europe next month and then hopefully to Australia/ Japan soon called Viraleze by an Australian biotech company Starpharma. It is 99.99% effective in killing COVID all strains in the nasal cavity. It is a nasal spray used twice a day. Should be very handy when in possible high exposure situations while on flights, when travelling, hospitals and aged care.
https://starpharma.com/vivagel/spl7013-covid-19-nasal-spray
WANT!

I’ve been using Colloidal Silver nasal spray for the last year whenever PB is sick and have so far avoided coming down sick myself. (Was trying to avoid exacerbating my Lupus symptoms while climbing back out of the hole). Happy to keep using it until something better like this star pharma one comes along.

Would be awesome to have extra help/coverage in high risk situations such as travel.

Reactions: skivet

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Prob the same amount of Gaijin as well.
There was around 20 or so I saw then.
Actually there's still lots of gaijin but you can kinda tell they live in Japan when you see them walking around. I can pick a gaijin that lives here vs a FIFO gaijin fairly easily lol. There's a few families that look like they got stuck here for the year, there's heaps of people that never made it home after last season kicking around.

Reactions: M_G

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Actually there's still lots of gaijin but you can kinda tell they live in Japan when you see them walking around. I can pick a gaijin that lives here vs a FIFO gaijin fairly easily lol. There's a few families that look like they got stuck here for the year, there's heaps of people that never made it home after last season kicking around.
LOL
It's true!!!

Reactions: BobGnarly

BobGnarly

One of Us
Feb 23, 2012
Nagano
Like this - should have come earlier :D

CA260079.JPG

Locals to the right - trists to the left.
Colours already told me that lol.
Then there's the body language. Tourists heads up hoping to communicate, locals heads down hoping to avoid

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
I've just had my first full summer since 2012 as well. TBH I quite enjoyed the experience but it has been a very mild summer. If still stuck here in a typical Adelaide summer next year I might think differently!

About 2-3 years ago I was worried about how things were heading in a macroeconomic sense and that was a big factor in my decision to cash out and go. Never thought it would be wildly exacerbated by a pandemic though.

Very similar here. First time in 13 years that in have not spent the season (or bulk of it ) in Japan. Sold my property in 2019 as i was retiring. Still have family there so still have a connection. Only got home by the skin of my teeth late March last year.
Still planning on going back next year, but i think getting to Japan will be the easy bit. The problem will be the conditions on return. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: M_G and LMB

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Very similar here. First time in 13 years that in have not spent the season (or bulk of it ) in Japan. Sold my property in 2019 as i was retiring. Still have family there so still have a connection. Only got home by the skin of my teeth late March last year.
Still planning on going back next year, but i think getting to Japan will be the easy bit. The problem will be the conditions on return. Fingers crossed.
If you're retired, even with 14 days home quarantine, it would be doable.... however, it doesn't seem logical to me that after vaccinations, you would be quarantining travelers who are vaccinated, after returning from OS. (but I wouldn't put it past them!!)

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
(but I wouldn't put it past them!!)
This is important bit.
Until proven otherwise I think those of us planning to go at the end of the year need to consider that quarantine is a distinct possibility.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
(but I wouldn't put it past them!!)
This is important bit.
Until proven otherwise I think those of us planning to go at the end of the year need to consider that quarantine is a distinct possibility.
If they still insist on HQ, it would be insane for a vaccinated person.
If they were even doing 14 day home isolation, it's still ridiculous.
IMO, the strictest it should be is partial restriction of movement, with ability to shop for food, plus be able to go to work. Anything stricter than this will kill Australia's tourist industry for years.

Reactions: LMB

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
IMO, the strictest it should be is partial restriction of movement, with ability to shop for food, plus be able to go to work. Anything stricter than this will kill Australia's tourist industry for years.
Like it hasn’t been already...

With transmission rates falling across vaccinated locales you’d think that with a strong rollout of vaccine that only unvaccinated people would be made to quarantine. But I’ve been surprised before. You and I both thought we would have an Aus Japan bubble for the current ski season - I should probably head to eat my hat thread for that one.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Whilst I would prefer to not go against the flow we are now planning for another season of little to no inbound tourism, particularly from Aus and US. With vaccine rollouts being slow in Japan and should the Olympics go ahead with the inheriant spike in C19 numbers I foresee the Aus government amongst others not permitting travel into Japan until after the coming season.

For Hakuba, the majority of customers are now in the middle of the socio economic spectrum and some of these have taken big hits to their own businesses or lost jobs etc. Going anywhere for those guys in the next year or 2 will be limited. The way people holiday will have also changed with many prefering to stay in their own countries due to percieved risks of international travel and actually learning what is on their own doorstep.

Hopefully Im wrong but I would rather plan for the worse and hope for the best.

Last edited:

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
That's being generous. I have little time for them. Liquid (who own MW) many years ago basically cloned my Myoko site and then tried to argue they'd written all the content.

And ironically, 2-3 years later they dropped the domain and I picked it up - redirecting it to my site. So for another 2-3 years I was getting traffic from the Liquid site because they hadn't updated their links! LOL

I personally value information I find on this forum more than anything that I can find elsewhere.

Reactions: M_G

David-eTO

Addicted
Jan 20, 2020
Canberra
even considering all the variants that seem more aggressive than the intial COVID-19 virus?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
even considering all the variants that seem more aggressive than the intial COVID-19 virus?
Any vaccine was never going to PREVENT a COVID infection long term.

- Antibodies. We know that antibodies that prevent the SARS-CoV-2 from infecting people will last a few months, and fade after that.
- T-Cells. T-Cells attack infected cells and destroy them, preventing the virus from replicating in large numbers. What this means is you will be infected, but will not get a life threatening illness. The long term outlook is that vaccines that provoke T-cell response will allow a mild or asymptomatic COVID case (possibly similar to the Human coronaviruses HCoV-NL63, HCoV-OC43, HCoV-HKU1, HCoV-229E. which cause common cold symptoms)

......early indicators show decline in B-cells and antibodies after only a few months, but this is not the entire immunity story. Antibodies are specific to each pathogen, locking onto invading pathogens, such as SARS-CoV-2. (Which causes COVID-19). In this case, antibodies decline relatively quickly.
However, it's been shown that T-cells from SARS (2003, SARS-CoV) provide immunity to SARS-CoV-2, meaning that there's cross immunity for at least 17 years.
There are two main types of T-cells: helper T-cells and killer T-cells. Helper T-cells stimulate B-cells to make antibodies and help killer T-cells develop. Killer T-cells directly kill cells that have already been infected by a foreign invader. T-cells also use cytokines as messenger molecules to send chemical instructions to the rest of the immune system to ramp up its response.

So while antibody response (attacking the virus) dwindles after a few months, T-cells provide longer lasting immunity.(Attacks and destroys infected cells so the virus can't reproduce, to then infect other cells)
IMO, it will turn out that the variants will have no impact on the overall effectiveness of most of the vaccines. The variants of SARS-COV-2 are probably >99% similar.

People infected with SARS-COV(-1) 18 years ago still have T-cells that prevent infection by SARS-COV-2, and they are only 79.5% similar.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass