1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan 2020 - planning and stuff.

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Donzah, Feb 27, 2019.

1. grantn

grantn Addicted

Many vehicles in Hokkaido will be 4wd, it wouldn't surprise me if the Impreza is too. I reckon it will be fine. I don't think Chitose will be better from a language point of view. I would assume at both outlets the chances are no-one will speak English, but you will be OK. Sometimes they hand a phone to you with an English interpreter.
    Chitose may just be logistically easier.

2. ojisan

ojisan Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

the Japanese make a 4WD version of pretty much every model.
    I hired a Yaris a few years back from Nagano which was 4WD

3. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Subaru do make a 2wd Impreza for Japan.. However they are so so rare

4. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ditto for us with a Nissan Micra

5. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Impreza will be fine, and most likely 4WD. We hired at Chitose in Feb and they paired us up with a customer service assistant who spoke good english at the shop, plus they had an English guide book for us to look at. Otaru probably not as much English spoken though. The drive from Chitose - Otaru is quite scenic

6. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Surely Chitose would theoretically have the greater chance of English speaking staff given the airport proximity. But then again, Japan, so don't assume anything. If you can book online in English, you will be able to fudge your way through the car pick up. They will be anal about International Driver's Permit....continually ask you if you want insurance and the once around the vehicle to pick up every little ding and scratch.

Subaru will be fine.

7. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Thanks for the replies above.
    I want to have the most (within reason) Japanese experience possible and whilst I understand I will not get that at Niseko will lodging in Kutchan itself provide a better opportunity to go to more authentic Japanese restaurants and bars? We should get a more genuine Japanese experience when we staying in Otaru.

8. hotsaki

hotsaki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Subaru good but Nissan GTR much better.

travelislife likes this.
  9. geeoff

geeoff Hard Yards

The simple answer is “Yes very much so”. Unless things have changed rapidly in last 2 years, Kutchan is still relatively untouched by western influence compared to Hirafu. The businesses are almost exclusively Japanese operated and unlike Hirafu you won’t walk into shops, bars etc operated by westerners and where English is the first language spoken.There will be plenty of westerners in town during January and February, particularly at night.

10. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Yah..

We picked up from Toyota at Chitose a few times and only once had a relatively English fluent person there.

I was thankful the last time I had practiced my Nihongo before I left, including appropriate language related to the car hire situation.

11. Any

Any One of Us

flights booked.
    2020 season here i come.

the prices were $250 less last week, i missed out because i was still finalizing plans :(
    i guess the continued crash of the AUD and oil prices have pushed up the prices. sneaky buggers probably also saw me doing lots of flight searches and put it up in spite.

LMB likes this.
  12. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

That means they'll be $300 cheaper next week/month. Murphy's Law.

nezumi and Any like this.
  13. LMB

Yay
    Playtime!
    Splitties at the ready!

Ozgirl and Any like this.
  14. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Don't laugh.
    Clearing cookies and browsing incognito works.

M_G, fennekeg and nezumi like this.
  15. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

There seems to be something unusual about Feb at the Naeba Prince Hotel. There's big prices or sold out for most of Feb. But in January, it's cheap just like last year.
    I noticed large numbers of Chinese last January, and I suspect that Naeba Prince has become very popular, and tours from China have booked it out for most of Feb when the weather is "better"!!!!

Melskius likes this.
  16. Melskius

Melskius Addicted

It was great last week of feb this year. But next year is $$$$. Bummer as it was so convenient with the jr tohoku pass. Shiga is not covered and we like to head north. Tossing up heading to hokkaido for the first time.

17. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

How far north do you usually head?
    The JR Tohoku Pass cost 20,000yen (or 19,000yen bought outside of Australia), but it also takes you to Suka-daira (part way to Nagano city). ....so if you pay for a ticket Suka-daira - Nagano to get to Shiga Kogen, it's only an extra 3330yen. (each way)
    If you you're not going far north, you could also consider the JR Nagano/Niigata Pass

18. Melskius

Melskius Addicted

This year we skied Naeba and headed up to sendai and morioka, before heading down via aizuwakamatsu using that pass. We loved the area around Sendai. Keen to see around Aomori.
    This is a good idea, was looking into something similar. We did the equivalent when using the nagano niigata pass and visited Kanazawa 2 years ago. Just paid for the gap to get back into coverage area of the pass.

19. fennekeg

fennekeg Hard Yards

Ow, if you do decide to head up there, could you do a trip report? We're also interested in going there (not the coming year yet unfortunately)

Melskius and Kimski like this.
  20. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

A couple of questions for the those in the know about Hokkaido.
    We will be staying in Moiwa for a few nights. Is it possible for a family of (maybe advanced) intermediate skiers to ski into Moiwa from Annupuri?

Also can someone recommend a decent and good value (relatively) ski hire/rental place in the Niseko area?
    Thanks.

21. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Yes it is. There’s a groomed track linking both resorts.

Can’t help you on rentals much, but I can say Rhythm is huge in Niseko, seem to have displaced most of the old Japanese rental places, and will likely pick you up and drop you off from your accomodation to organise the hire. Larry Adler would probably do the same.

Any likes this.
  22. Any

Any One of Us

Yeah super easy.
    I heard rumors that Moiwa is on the same lift pass now even?
    They also plan to eventually put in a lift from Annupuri to Moiwa to make it easier.

Id also suggest Rhythm, because of good quality and huge volume of stock and great service. Their non premium level skis are a bit avg tho, so I'd probably take the upgrade. And they have a pickup and drop off service (people and/or gear), not sure they cover Moiwa tho.
    Perhaps make a ski trip out of it, pickup gear and ski back. Shoes in backpack maybe, I dunno.

#772 Any, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    LMB likes this.
  23. telenomore

telenomore One of Us

Just on ski hire, Harro's Snowsports, based at Gondola chalet in Hirafu, best personal service you'll find in Niseko IMO. Rhythm also good but Harro's is still run by the owner, Dave and he is pretty much in the shop every day.

LMB and Any like this.
  24. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Thanks. Will check them out.

25. Any

Any One of Us

a friend bought some 2nd hand skis / had remounted / had serviced / and a bunch of other stuff with Harro. really looked after her, and wasn't rip off prices.

LMB and telenomore like this.
  26. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

Already answered regarding Moiwa, but keep in mind you can ski back from Annupuri (kind of flat run - need to maintain some speed), but you cannot ski from Moiwa to Annupuri without buying a 1-way lift (seem to recall it would be 1000yen). That is if as someone mentioned Moiwa is still on it's own ticket.

Rentals - last year research for friends renting I thought this place had best rates (delivery only): https://winter1st.com/en/rental-price/

27. Any

Any One of Us

i was curious and had a look.
    i noticed that nowhere does that website say what their delivery area actually is, maybe its all of Hokkaido, all of Japan even?.
    it wasn't even immediately obvious where they are based either. aside from the picture of yotei's caldera at the the top of the page (which a tourist wouldnt recognize), i had to look for their actual postage address. There is one mention on the deliveries page that "in Niseko" is within 15-20minutes tho, so thats good. ps, Hirafu isn't technically in Niseko region ;p
    Rankoshi (winter1st) is closer to Moiwa than Hirafu (rhythm), so that might be a factor for @Sbooker to consider.

28. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

We stayed outside Kutchan (former love hotel lol) and they showed up there with equipment. I was proposing to meet them at a shop, but turns out they don’t have one...they only have van(s). It also seems they were limited on where they meet to avoid hotel rental (ex: could not meet at green leaf hotel, but general ski parking lot was OK). Another trip last year ended up renting right at Chitose airport since I couldn’t find a spot at Otaru. Price was decent, and someone had a sign outside baggage claim with our name. Now if we had a gear malfunction mid trip that would be a hassle.

Any likes this.
  29. Any

Any One of Us

ive never done it (ive had my own skis a long time), but being able to ski back to Rhythm and swap to a different pair on the spot, no questions, no costs, has always seemed a real cool advantage to me.

30. LMB

Like you I’m usually on my own gear but one year I was “between boards” - had organised in advance to buy a specific board from Rhythm after a demo but then when I demoed and confirmed I want to buy I got the “that’s great, by we don’t have any in stock”. Initially rather annoyed, I decided to turn the week into DEMO WEEK and I swapped boards and bindings every day, sometimes even at lunchtime if I came in for lunch. Helped that I live in the same street.

But that little tale is just to confirm YES, the premium package where you can swap at will can be fabulous! And they were more than happy to see me each time, talk about what else they had in the quiver for me to try and ask for my feedback on how I found each ride.

Any likes this.
  31. Lonepeak

Lonepeak Hard Yards

I should point out - gear being rented was for first timer, low intermediate, etc. I/they weren’t picky so cheap was the objective.

32. Melskius

Melskius Addicted

Booked flights for trip 5 - last week feb, first week march. Very cheap jetstar deal family 2A+2c) and bags/ski bag for under $1800. Now to decide whether to ski Shiga Kogan ( had 2 days there on our first japan trip), or to seek out cheap internal flight to sapporo and try tomamu or shinkansen up to hokkaido. So many options....

Any and LMB like this.
  33. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

At that time of year you will easily get accomm just about anywhere so if you feel a little adventurous you could hold off until the very last minute and make that decision based on snow conditions at the time.

Melskius, M_G, Donzah and 1 other person like this.