Japan 2022/23 Travel plans and ideas.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Why not?
Optimistically hopeful Japan will be open around June this year.

Tossing around two plans depending on $$$ and time.
Fly to Kyushu from HK. Spend 10 days travelling to Hokkaido. Stepping on/off while using JR 7 dayer.
Then 14 days in Hokkaido
Or
21 days in Hokkaido. Doing the round the clock type tour.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
You should stay at Goryu where the bus access to the rest of the valley is so good..... Oh wait!!
:out:
I’ve actually come to quite like Goryu, but recognising that if you stay there, thats where you’ll ski 90%+ of the time. My last Hakuba trip I stayed a bit down the hill from Goryu base, walked up at the start of the day (it’s very steep!) and didn’t venture any further than 47.

Mind you, a bus system integrated across the whole valley would be so much better, but Japan is going to Japan.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
I’ve actually come to quite like Goryu, but recognising that if you stay there, thats where you’ll ski 90%+ of the time. My last Hakuba trip I stayed a bit down the hill from Goryu base, walked up at the start of the day (it’s very steep!) and didn’t venture any further than 47.

Mind you, a bus system integrated across the whole valley would be so much better, but Japan is going to Japan.
If ...you had a car...

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.

The new lift(s) at Norikura should be completed next season, and the possible redevelopment at Iwatake.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Why not?

Fly to Kyushu from HK. Spend 10 days travelling to Hokkaido. Stepping on/off while using JR 7 dayer.
Then 14 days in Hokkaido
Or
I suspect that the best plan is the one that avoids the most popular places with crowds who've been hankering for two seasons....

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Why not?

Then 14 days in Hokkaido
Or
Both sound good. Like the idea of the using the rail pass.

Not 22/23 but we've booked a hotel in Tokyo for arrival in mid October. Intend to head north for a couple of weeks for some autumnal colour. Hope it's not too early but we have a wedding in the family in November so that's out.
Haven't decided where to in winter 22/23 yet.

Reactions: Donza

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
We’re at 3.5 weeks based on my itinerary. Tokyo, Izu Peninsula, Mt Fuji (Lake Kawaguchi), Hakuba, Sakata, Yamagata/Zao.

Thinking of pulling trigger on ANA flights. $2.6k for our family of 3.

This is my planning so far. Anytime I see something cool on insta or trawling Google maps I drop a pin. Hopefully some sensible route can be achieved.

4E231552-31D6-4E87-A360-AC045E018D65.jpeg

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
So many people so keen. There are people who contact me any time there is a mention of Japan and border restrictions.

Sigh a waiting game.

There will be lots of places happy to welcome foreign tourists back.

Reactions: Marty McSly and LMB

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Why not?

Then 14 days in Hokkaido
Or
I like option A. 3 weeks in Hokkaido could be a bit like a relentless snow globe.

Reactions: Donza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I’ll just keep buying flights until they let me in lol.

But for Omicron I reckon we’d be skiing Japan now. You can’t predict the known unknowns, or unknown unknowns, but I’m more than hopeful I’ll be skiing in Japan 2022/23.

Reactions: Mark*V

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
I am going and I am going to spend as long as I possibly can in japow, when she opens back up.
I promised my then high school graduate son a road trip. It will be three years since that promise was broken. I mean to keep that promise, and then some.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
We’re at 3.5 weeks based on my itinerary. Tokyo, Izu Peninsula, Mt Fuji (Lake Kawaguchi), Hakuba, Sakata, Yamagata/Zao.

Thinking of pulling trigger on ANA flights. $2.6k for our family of 3.

This is my planning so far. Anytime I see something cool on insta or trawling Google maps I drop a pin. Hopefully some sensible route can be achieved.

4E231552-31D6-4E87-A360-AC045E018D65.jpeg
too funny. I have a similar google map that I pinned all my wish list skijos. It's a bit crowded with drop pins

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Decided yesterday, because we have to lock in our apartment block out dates.

Going between Xmas and NY, will come back 90 days later. (Assuming borders open).

We need a relatively cheap year for 22/23 because we have blown about 4yrs worth of retirement ski budget on this USA trip this season (we knew that would be the case and are just rolling with it - who knows what the future holds, better to spend it now than there be extra in the pot for the boys to inherit later LOL)

I don’t mind if we get rental income, or if we stay in it ourselves (hence not hit with huge rental payments ourselves) but a third year of NEITHER will not make me happy.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Decided yesterday, because we have to lock in our apartment block out dates.

Going between Xmas and NY, will come back 90 days later. (Assuming borders open).

We need a relatively cheap year for 22/23 because we have blown about 4yrs worth of retirement ski budget on this USA trip this season (we knew that would be the case and are just rolling with it - who knows what the future holds, better to spend it now than there be extra in the pot for the boys to inherit later LOL)

I don’t mind if we get rental income, or if we stay in it ourselves (hence not hit with huge rental payments ourselves) but a third year of NEITHER will not make me happy.
Similar, in that I absorbed the cost of flights to both Japan and Canada in the same year. The good news is the Japan fares for next year are essentially pre-paid now.

With a new job 3 weeks is probably our limit for next year. I’ll lock in flights some time over the next 4 weeks.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
When’s tge best time to book for that? Or just wait for sales?
Depends what airline and route you wanna fly.
JAL and ANA is as cheap as it usually is for a 26th December to 1st Janaury departure. Around $940 return. Syd to Tokyo.
Beyond that.
Haven't looked.

We're keen on going to HK as well. Alas. That may not happen.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Depends what airline and route you wanna fly.
JAL and ANA is as cheap as it usually is for a 26th December to 1st Janaury departure. Around $940 return. Syd to Tokyo.
Beyond that.
Haven't looked.

We're keen on going to HK as well. Alas. That may not happen.
Cool thanks. Yeah we’d be departing in that timeframe and back around 20 January.

Reactions: LMB

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
No plans for me at the moment. One step at a time. Hope to get to Austria next month, then hoping for Omicron to sweep through NZ to open that up for August.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
I won't be locking in flights until I get the best deal.
Pretty reasonable deals on ANA and JAL with Christmas and early Jan departure. Prob pull the trigger soon. I’m tossing up whether JAL will be sticklers on their baggage rules. Technically our 2x snowboard bags would trigger excess charges which is dumb IMO. ANA policy far more relaxed. Just need to keep under weight and all good.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
FREE SKI / SNOWBOARD
EQUIPMENT CHECK-IN*
Use your 2nd free piece of checked baggage for snow equipment: skis or snowboard plus boots. This will be accepted at no charge as long as everything is in a protective case, and does not exceed your baggage weight allowance. Once booked, call JAL Reservation Centre to inform us in advance. *Only when travelling during the winter season between December and April.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
FREE SKI / SNOWBOARD
EQUIPMENT CHECK-IN*
Use your 2nd free piece of checked baggage for snow equipment: skis or snowboard plus boots. This will be accepted at no charge as long as everything is in a protective case, and does not exceed your baggage weight allowance. Once booked, call JAL Reservation Centre to inform us in advance. *Only when travelling during the winter season between December and April.
What’s the luggage weight allowance? 23kg economy?

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Just locked in our accommodation for next Jan with the usual spots, arriving NY's day for 10 days in Nosawa, 10 days Myoko and still to plan and book an additional 10 days for myself going solo, may try some where different.

Having the two nights either end of the trip in Tokyo for the food trail/shopping/touring.

Looking at flying via singapore with possible 2 night stay on the way back.

Got the new 20k onesie boarding suit purchased for this years trip, still unused but still keen to head to snowtown in Tokyo for some purchases before heading to the mountains.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass