Japan 2022/23 Travel plans and ideas.

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
Hi, we may transit Narita on the 28 Dec and leave to Canada on the 29 Dec after a night stay . Being that its 6 months off , do we feel that Japan will be back to a visa waiver situation again, like it was last time we did this? (Ultimately we may travel direct, lest see)

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Retro2

One of Us
Jul 11, 2015
For just one night? I'd always pick direct.
Ok Lucky , see what you can get direct on the 28/12 for frequents.. I do intend to fly direct or delay until end of January , Japan should be open by end December. The pressure is on for it to happen. Its a cheapo transit. We are doing Canada trip not Japow

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
Having a week at Nozawa Onsen as part of our trip next February. Planning on staying at Residence Yasushi Nozawa. Looks pretty flash but as I've not been to Nozawa Onsen before I'm hoping someone who has can advise on whether it's a good location in regard to it's proximity to lifts.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
Having a week at Nozawa Onsen as part of our trip next February. Planning on staying at Residence Yasushi Nozawa. Looks pretty flash but as I've not been to Nozawa Onsen before I'm hoping someone who has can advise on whether it's a good location in regard to it's proximity to lifts.
It looks close to the enclosed escalator (Yu Road). I'm trying to locate to Yasushi to get an accurate location.

Reactions: SnowRabbit

grantn

Addicted
Aug 10, 2011
From my perspective - just had a look - no its not very close to the lifts in the resort, it's quite a walk to the ski resort. One positive though, is on that side of town, you are close to the Shinyu lift, which is a free lift from town (ie not really a ski resort lift) up to the resort, from town. It's 700m from your accom. If that lift runs next year (it shut down this year due to Covid), it is about a 3 min walk from your accom. It takes you up to the ski resort, to the Hikage Gondola. It's also quite beautiful - it travels above a creek, through a forest.

SnowRabbit

One of Us
Feb 13, 2017
Sydney
From my perspective - just had a look - no its not very close to the lifts in the resort, it's quite a walk to the ski resort. One positive though, is on that side of town, you are close to the Shinyu lift, which is a free lift from town (ie not really a ski resort lift) up to the resort, from town. It's 700m from your accom. If that lift runs next year (it shut down this year due to Covid), it is about a 3 min walk from your accom. It takes you up to the ski resort, to the Hikage Gondola. It's also quite beautiful - it travels above a creek, through a forest.

Thanks for that. It was always a worry that we might have quite a hike to the lifts. This looks like a good option. Although looks pretty slow. Do they download in the afternoons? :D :D

Reactions: grantn

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
I'm grabbing 200,000 yen at the current rates. Will get more if it hits 100.

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 7.40.22 pm.png

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

tot

Addicted
Ski Pass
Mar 12, 2005
perth
I wish I had waited to buy/import my electric deep drop fishing reel haha...Rate was 76 then bugga! Where is the crystal ball when you need it LOL

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Yes they do. It's quite a relaxing way to get up and back from the ski resort.
I caught it one afternoon to get down to the village. I think I had to carry my skis and hop off at the bottom with the lift running a bit quick for doing that. A very nice view on the way down. No safety bar so one hand holding skis and poles, the other hanging on to the chair.

Reactions: Hyst

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I caught it one afternoon to get down to the village. I think I had to carry my skis and hop off at the bottom with the lift running a bit quick for doing that. A very nice view on the way down. No safety bar so one hand holding skis and poles, the other hanging on to the chair.
Sounds much like the old Merritts chair download. After your legs and feet had frozen up on the ride down the jump and run at the end while holding equipment was always a rude wake up.

• Haha
Reactions: Goski

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
To be fair that’s the same standard they are applying to the rest of the country.
Its a joke .
For the last year and a half, I've had to sign The Pledge every time I've returned to Japan, so I don't really think it's out of the ordinary for them to do the same with tourists!! Even Japanese citizens must sign The Pledge, so it's not just foreigners.

I understand and accept that, if I violate the pledge, my name (name and nationality in the case of a non-Japanese) and information that contributes to the prevention of the spread of infection may be publicized by the relevant authorities and I may be subject
to detention under the provisions of the Quarantine Act.

However, the consequences are different:
- Japanese: Naming & shaming, and possible detention
- Foreigners: Cancellation of visa and deportation

Last month, Japan softened its mask guidance to note that masks aren’t always necessary outdoors. Still, most people in Japan continue to wear masks when outside. They’re still recommended when in crowded places or during conversations outdoors, as well as in most indoor spaces and on public transport, according to the health ministry.​

Wearing masks was never a rule in Japan, but everybody wears them. I know of Japanese people who have been chastised and shamed into wearing masks on trains when they haven't been wearing them. The social pressure to comply is strong, and I wear a mask in all those situations because I don't want to draw unnecessary attention to myself as a foreigner doing the wrong thing. (Actually, I've always felt pressure to behave in this way well before COVID)

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
So is this the card you use connected to your Wise account?
That's the one.

A post from @Any months ago put me on to Wise.

I really like that each currency account get local banking numbers, for example the Euro account has IBAN, SWIFT/BIC details and you can receive deposits from Euro bank accounts without fees.

Reactions: Any and Born2ski

Melskius

One of Us
Aug 2, 2015
That's the one.
The fees on atm withdrawls seem higher than the citibank global one. Only $350 a month, then $1.5 + 1.75% on withdrawal. Haven't found the city global comparison yet. For a 2 week traveller seems citibank global is better?? Already have the usual citibank card, but am looking at a way to lock in the yen while its high.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass