Japan 2022/23 Travel plans and ideas.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
The only caveat here is that many hire car companies have sold off their vehicles.

Whether this has occured in Hokkaido or not. I don't know.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
How'd you like the hill? It's on my radar for the next trip to Hokkaido.
Was quite surprised by Teine, has some decent vertical and almost no one was skiing off piste which made it easy to find powder. Some seriously steep runs off the top lift too. Only enough terrain for a day unless you get fresh snow though. Was a great resort for our group of mixed abilities, I could go sniff out powder whilst the intermediates could lap the runs and we would meet for ramen at lunch.

Beautiful views over Sapporo and the coastline on a clear weather day too

SnowCat9

First Runs
Jun 20, 2022
I like your idea Pete. At least in one direction but maybe too. Assume travel with luggage in the off season was OK?

How did you travel from the Shink Terminus btw? Train, coach or hire car? Cheers LP
(filing all this away for a rainy day) :cool:

I’ll have Epics so Ru could be on the menu - if I get up that way?

2B4B8335-6C6D-45EE-B0B3-508B0829135B.png
If your question is about the Shinkansen terminal at Hakodate, then it is easy to go by train either into Hakodate or onwards to Sapporo or New Chitose. If you're heading north to Rusutsu and feeling adventurous, you can get off at Toya JR station, catch a bus to Lake Toya, and then another bus to Rusutsu. The first bus is a bit of a squeeze and would be tough with a ski bag, but the second is fine. (We're big fans of Kuroneko and usually have a stop over in Hakodate whilst our bags are travelling north).

Reactions: snowgum

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Speaking of the Hokkaido shinkansen.
You now need to make reservations for oversize luggage for this train.

In typiclally clear info I present.

JR.png

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
So bags need an oversize luggage reservation, but a snowboard bag doesn't need an oversize luggage reservation - unless I want it to go in the oversize luggage area?

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
So bags need an oversize luggage reservation, but a snowboard bag doesn't need an oversize luggage reservation - unless I want it to go in the oversize luggage area?
It’s a bit weird - so I don’t make a reservation for my bike or skis if I place it on my lap or under the seat?

I’d put it in oversized luggage for sure - I didn’t get a good look of the OSL area of the Nagano -Tokyo Shink. It’s where I’d want my big stuff (if not Black Catting?); not cramping my feet or fellow passengers.

…Even polite Japanese would be looking at said space-hogger somewhat er, perplexed?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Speaking of the Hokkaido shinkansen.
You now need to make reservations for oversize luggage for this train.

In typiclally clear info I present.

JR.png
Cheers for this - very helpful - even if the JR logic is a bit weird.

Reactions: nezumi

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Cheers for this - very helpful - even if the JR logic is a bit weird.
Thanks for the info. Any chance you can share the link?
Sorry its only for .
The new “seat with an oversized baggage area” service is now available on the Tokaido, Sanyo, and Kyushu Shinkansen lines (Tokyo - Shin-Osaka - Hakata - Kagoshima Chuo). When riding the Shinkansen with larger luggage, you can put it in the dedicated storage area near designated seats on both normal and green cars.

At present.

I read that it was going to be implemented on Hokkaido shinkansen. However this hasn't happened yet.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
If your question is about the Shinkansen terminal at Hakodate, then it is easy to go by train either into Hakodate or onwards to Sapporo or New Chitose. If you're heading north to Rusutsu and feeling adventurous, you can get off at Toya JR station, catch a bus to Lake Toya, and then another bus to Rusutsu. The first bus is a bit of a squeeze and would be tough with a ski bag, but the second is fine. (We're big fans of Kuroneko and usually have a stop over in Hakodate whilst our bags are travelling north).
Thanks for all this info SC9. Sounds like a secret agent or a Get Smart title? ;)

Back on topic, my level of adventure will like my most folks, depend on available time, definitely luggage (I tele, bring all my own gear, boots and skis are all big and heavy) and also whether I travel with family (Mrs & Master 13 SG).

The more complex the travel & interchanges/waiting around, the less likely choose it - if (a big if) if with Mr 13 (who’s a bit MEH with skiing anytime). This won’t be unusual for parents of teens. We’ll need to bribe Said lad with fun (non ski) stuff in the ski village and Tokyo - if it happens.

Still all these travel options sound appealing - I like looking at new scenery, especially snowy, reminds me a bit of my bus/ski travels around western and mountain, US & Canada and Ontario/Quebec in 88/89.

One thing about the Hokkaido Shink, it’s less of a time penalty for Melbournians and other cities as most of us have an extra travel leg to fly to Sapporo. (Unlike the coddled Sydneysiders!)

I’ll have to do a comparison closer to a possible booking.
A good rail, coach or rental car connection at Hakodate May make the Hokkaido Shink look pretty good. And so far, on a quick skim, Mel-Sapporo return flights are several hundred $ dearer than Mel-Tokyo. Options and decisions eh?

Just Haneda to Tokyo’s Hokkaido Shink Terminus might be the fun bit with luggage if not BC luggage on the way out?

Coming backing via Shink (no more skiing) for a few nights in Tokyo, using BC is the No brainer. And transferring modes along the way, with very light overnight luggage is relatively painless. :cool:

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Was quite surprised by Teine, has some decent vertical and almost no one was skiing off piste which made it easy to find powder. Some seriously steep runs off the top lift too. Only enough terrain for a day unless you get fresh snow though. Was a great resort for our group of mixed abilities, I could go sniff out powder whilst the intermediates could lap the runs and we would meet for ramen at lunch.

Beautiful views over Sapporo and the coastline on a clear weather day too
I take it you're talking about the runs off the top past the comms tower?

From memory, there's a great bowl around a bit at 1 - that you can get back to lifts from at the bottom.

2. is the steeper sections next to the red building. My son nonchalantly rolled down there without thinking and put us right on top. Weren't quite ready for those and had to scootch across the top to skiers left through the trees to get back onto the main bowl run out of there.

Had a good 30cm of fresh the day I was there. The rest of the mountains fairly intermediate.

TeineHighland_pistemap copy.jpg

Reactions: Froff Life

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
This is the sort of delusion and mis-information that travel agents deal in.
Pisses me off. Alot.

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
This is the sort of delusion and mis-information that travel agents deal in.
Pisses me off. Alot.

It's also the reason why half of this forum have already booked accommodation and flights when the country isn't even open yet. Creating a false sense of urgency...

• Angry

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
It's also the reason why half of this forum have already booked accommodation and flights when the country isn't even open yet. Creating a false sense of urgency...
I think most believe the Japan government will open up by the end of the year, but we don't need advertorials from vested interests to get excited about it. If you don't book ahead, you pay the price in availability. Most on here prolly don't need to use ski japan anyway to get the result they're after.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
I take it you're talking about the runs off the top past the comms tower?

From memory, there's a great bowl around a bit at 1 - that you can get back to lifts from at the bottom.

2. is the steeper sections next to the red building. My son nonchalantly rolled down there without thinking and put us right on top. Weren't quite ready for those and had to scootch across the top to skiers left through the trees to get back onto the main bowl run out of there.

Had a good 30cm of fresh the day I was there. The rest of the mountains fairly intermediate.

TeineHighland_pistemap copy.jpg
Yep those steep lines out near the radio tower are proper black runs, if they're even a run at all? Mellows out underneath the chair and further off to skiers right hand side.

We also found some more gentle graded powder off that 3 seater lift on the left of the map, great for pow L platers.

Reactions: Olgreg
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Yep those steep lines out near the radio tower are proper black runs, if they're even a run at all? Mellows out underneath the chair and further off to skiers right hand side.
They aren't runs - they are back country and signage off the lifts describe as such. Although my son was only 16, we both had beacons, shovels & probes and I'd given him multiple edu sessions on use of avi gear etc after doing my AST courses. Not recommending for casual riders at all.

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Not really. Most accommodation in or near Japan ski resorts don't open bookings until around 4 months out. It's mostly just the Aussie run places over there that take early bookings. Also IME, flight bookings can normally be had cheap 3 months out too.
We have biz class points tickets locked in, not available 4 months out.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
We have biz class points tickets locked in, not available 4 months out.
On QF or JAL?

I've seen JAL direct business class for Jan available in November.
Same with Cathay via HK to Hokkaido.

*no idea whats happening this year as JAL have been winding back their frequency of flights .

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
On QF or JAL?

I've seen JAL direct business class for Jan available in November.
Same with Cathay via HK to Hokkaido.

*no idea whats happening this year as JAL have been winding back their frequency of flights .
We have JAL flights booked with QF points.

01 Feb 23 JL52 Sydney to Tokyo Haneda (economy)

17 Feb 23 JL512 Sapporo Chitose to Tokyo Haneda &
17 Feb 23 JL51 Tokyo Haneda to Sydney (business class)

- booked in Feb & March this year

Strange that so far NO Qantas flights available on these legs, if they came up I might change.

Reactions: Annabuzzy and Donza

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
We have JAL flights booked with QF points.

01 Feb 23 JL52 Sydney to Tokyo Haneda (economy)

17 Feb 23 JL512 Sapporo Chitose to Tokyo Haneda
17 Feb 23 JL51 Tokyo Haneda to Sydney (business class)

Strange that so far NO Qantas flights available on these legs, if they came up I might change.
Until (if) japan opens up properly. The airlines will be adjusting their schedules and equipment.

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Until (if) japan opens up properly. The airlines will be adjusting their schedules and equipment.
True, but you'd think Joyce might be privy to Japan's intentions now to plan. Might still not open up and all plans go back to covid rewind cost recovery mode which would be a PITA

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
True, but you'd think Joyce might be privy to Japan's intentions now to plan. Might still not open up and all plans go back to covid rewind cost recovery mode which would be a PITA
Joyce?
I don't think they know in Japan.

The debacle of the 8th of June is a good example .

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
They aren't runs - they are back country and signage off the lifts describe as such. Although my son was only 16, we both had beacons, shovels & probes and I'd given him multiple edu sessions on use of avi gear etc after doing my AST courses. Not recommending for casual riders at all.
I see plenty of flights. Just no classic rewards.
qantas.png

One way? Geese?
Still it is close to NYD/ Oz schl hols…? Post-Covid. Maybe to be expected.

SnowCat9

First Runs
Jun 20, 2022
Thanks for all this info SC9. Sounds like a secret agent or a Get Smart title? ;)

Back on topic, my level of adventure will like my most folks, depend on available time, definitely luggage (I tele, bring all my own gear, boots and skis are all big and heavy) and also whether I travel with family (Mrs & Master 13 SG).

The more complex the travel & interchanges/waiting around, the less likely choose it - if (a big if) if with Mr 13 (who’s a bit MEH with skiing anytime). This won’t be unusual for parents of teens. We’ll need to bribe Said lad with fun (non ski) stuff in the ski village and Tokyo - if it happens.

Still all these travel options sound appealing - I like looking at new scenery, especially snowy, reminds me a bit of my bus/ski travels around western and mountain, US & Canada and Ontario/Quebec in 88/89.

One thing about the Hokkaido Shink, it’s less of a time penalty for Melbournians and other cities as most of us have an extra travel leg to fly to Sapporo. (Unlike the coddled Sydneysiders!)

I’ll have to do a comparison closer to a possible booking.
A good rail, coach or rental car connection at Hakodate May make the Hokkaido Shink look pretty good. And so far, on a quick skim, Mel-Sapporo return flights are several hundred $ dearer than Mel-Tokyo. Options and decisions eh?

Just Haneda to Tokyo’s Hokkaido Shink Terminus might be the fun bit with luggage if not BC luggage on the way out?

Coming backing via Shink (no more skiing) for a few nights in Tokyo, using BC is the No brainer. And transferring modes along the way, with very light overnight luggage is relatively painless. :cool:
Good luck on getting your stakeholders on board SG, and finding the sweet spot in terms of adventure for all of the crew and minimising luggage challenges.
On the Haneda / Tokyo Station question, my recollection from a few years ago is that dragging a ski bag from wouldn't be a whole heap of fun, (mainly the escalators). We've done it in reverse but used the Limousine Bus from the Tekko building just outside the station exit. (Poor planning on my part). It worked ok, but I wouldn't do it again as I'd plan the return differently and use Kuroneko as you point out.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
If you don't book ahead, you pay the price in availability.
Only if you are going to Nozawa or Niseko Everywhere else. most places are yet to even think about opening for bookings.

Every year we get the people who are freaking out about places being booked out when they have not even opened for bookings.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Good luck on getting your stakeholders on board SG, and finding the sweet spot in terms of adventure for all of the crew and minimising luggage challenges.
On the Haneda / Tokyo Station question, my recollection from a few years ago is that dragging a ski bag from wouldn't be a whole heap of fun, (mainly the escalators). We've done it in reverse but used the Limousine Bus from the Tekko building just outside the station exit. (Poor planning on my part). It worked ok, but I wouldn't do it again as I'd plan the return differently and use Kuroneko as you point out.
Cheers for this, yes, even after using Black Cat from Hakuba on the return to Tokyo (Ueno), so taking a fairly compact overnight bag by my standards, escalators weren’t fun. I didn't take a wheelie bag - this saves bulk and weight but does mean lugging a big bag at times. Swings and roundabouts.
Your limo bus sounds like a good idea for connections, such as the Haneda to Hokkaido Shink-link.

Do you have the name please, for googling?
I’d probably type limo bus and see what I catch? (;-)

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Cheers for this, yes, even after using Black Cat from Hakuba on the return to Tokyo (Ueno), so taking a fairly compact overnight bag by my standards, escalators weren’t fun. I didn't take a wheelie bag - this saves bulk and weight but does mean lugging a big bag at times. Swings and roundabouts.

It’s interesting, the escalator thing.

I got used to getting on an escalator in Japan with a suitcase in front of me, back pack on my back and a snowboard bag behind me. It works fine.

Now I get cranky when I HAVE to use elevators instead of the escalator because I have a suitcase with me in other places LOL

Reactions: Born2ski and Tanuki

Heinz

Fully vaccinated and travelling again!
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Pfttt. Escalators easy, bag one step behind, skis over the shoulder. Others can still go past if they want. Much more of a challenge is heading up stairs with bag and skis against the flow of rush hour traffic. Timing is important.

SnowCat9

First Runs
Jun 20, 2022
Your limo bus sounds like a good idea for connections, such as the Haneda to Hokkaido Shink-link.

Do you have the name please, for googling?
I’d probably type limo bus and see what I catch? (;-)
Here's the link, but as you might suspect there's no scheduled buses at the moment.

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
Only if you are going to Nozawa or Niseko Everywhere else. most places are yet to even think about opening for bookings.

Every year we get the people who are freaking out about places being booked out when they have not even opened for bookings.
Yeah, I would generally agree except we have some specific dates to be Tomamu to meet one group and then coordinate with another family in Niseko. Some of the smaller lodges I've stayed in like Kimamaya already booked out for December & January...

kimamaya.jpg

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yeah, I would generally agree except we have some specific dates to be Tomamu to meet one group and then coordinate with another family in Niseko. Some of the smaller lodges I've stayed in like Kimamaya already booked out for December & January...

kimamaya.jpg
Booked out or not taking bookings?
Its very rare for 1st December to be busy in Niseko. Its usually a ghost town then.

Looks like they've just blocked out the months.

Reactions: Born2ski

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Booked out or not taking bookings?
Its very rare for 1st December to be busy in Niseko. Its usually a ghost town then.

Looks like they've just blocked out the months.
Something not right with their booking site. It shows no availability at all for any date from July on. Either that or they're really, really popular.

Pat42

One of Us
Feb 18, 2008
Long time no hear Pat42. There's a Toyota outlet across the road from the station. They're pretty good. A bit on the expensive side.
thanks mate, been awhile the gear is a bit dusty thats for sure!

Reactions: PMG

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Something not right with their booking site. It shows no availability at all for any date from July on. Either that or they're really, really popular.
Shut the door until it’s viable?

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Here's the link, but as you might suspect there's no scheduled buses at the moment.
That's not correct. They are running.
I took one this morning from Yokohama to Haneda. The buses to the international terminal are not running as often however.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That's not correct. They are running.
I took one this morning from Yokohama to Haneda. The buses to the international terminal are not running as often however.
I watched a vlog from Haneda today.
"Where are the international tourists"

Quite miffed they couldn't find one

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Haha!!!! LOL Still haven't understood the message that gaijin don't want to be herded like sheep.
It was a interesting vlog.
And yeah it wasn't overly optimistic about the timeline of Japan opening up.
Key views.
The Visa requirement has created a whole new level of bureaucracy between immigration and health. Its problematic.
To dissolve this established system will take time.
Japan cannot process tourism visas in any substantial number at the present time.
The notion that the June 10th date of reopening was absolutely ridiculous. Considering the revised conditions were announced on June 8.
Kishida has no electoral pressure. At all . To fast track a opening of the borders. At all.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass