Japan 2022/23 Travel plans and ideas.

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Yes many good points - but......:
Would hardly call it a conclusive study.

"The group of academic societies analyzed studies in Japan and overseas that examined the link between heatstroke and COVID-19. It reportedly discovered that in the case of a healthy young adult, the rise in body temperature after an hour of mild exercise or a 20-minute jog in the heat was no different wearing a mask and not wearing one. However, the academic bodies cautioned that there is no such data on elderly people, children, and those with past illnesses."

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Would hardly call it a conclusive study.

"The group of academic societies analyzed studies in Japan and overseas that examined the link between heatstroke and COVID-19. It reportedly discovered that in the case of a healthy young adult, the rise in body temperature after an hour of mild exercise or a 20-minute jog in the heat was no different wearing a mask and not wearing one. However, the academic bodies cautioned that there is no such data on elderly people, children, and those with past illnesses."
Right, but his statement is just a statement with no background.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Have a read of this...

They missed the bit about supervised sleeping..... You must sleep with your (male) tour leader.
:out:

• Haha
Reactions: skifree

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

The Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism, Wada Kouichi, stated there had only been 1300 entry visa requests for travel purposes in Japan as of 15 June 2022. This is despite Japan having its lowest exchange rate in 24 years (136 yen to US$1). Indeed, Japan’s current border rules for foreign tourists are the most restrictive in Asia with the exception of China.
Haha!!! ROFL

The tours are obviously proving to be super popular with foreigners.... I'll bet they just can't understand WHY the numbers are so low!!! LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Chrisamberely

Chrisamberely

Early Days
Feb 14, 2022
I'd say given the dramatic rise in infection numbers we're seeing again, I'd be very surprised if the country is open to tourists for winter (I'm not talking about the present prison exercise time sort they're running now).
Proper tourism I mean.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Coffeebeanie

Hard Yards
Sep 25, 2017
I had a flight booked to Japan late November, fof a season of skiing. I have now switched the flight to Italy, and will spend the season in the Dolomites. Would prefer Japan but not prepared to have to make alternative plans at the last moment. No loss on the airfare but lost $500 on the yen I had bought.

Chrisamberely

Early Days
Feb 14, 2022
I had a flight booked to Japan late November, fof a season of skiing. I have now switched the flight to Italy, and will spend the season in the Dolomites. Would prefer Japan but not prepared to have to make alternative plans at the last moment. No loss on the airfare but lost $500 on the yen I had bought.
Yeah, just did pretty much the same. Cancelled what was going to be 3 months in Japan, now going to Canada for a month. Just too uncertain.

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Still waiting for some type of roadmap out of this mess. Saw a headline that the goverment will announce something by the end of the month but heard that before. We are looking at running tours if the standard tourist visa doesn't start up again. I just want to know either way so at least I can plan for it. It would be a brilliant time to come as there will be very few people here again. Now where's my flag :)

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Still waiting for some type of roadmap out of this mess. Saw a headline that the goverment will announce something by the end of the month but heard that before. We are looking at running tours if the standard tourist visa doesn't start up again. I just want to know either way so at least I can plan for it. It would be a brilliant time to come as there will be very few people here again. Now where's my flag :)
Looking at the guidelines online I can't see how ski tours could possibly work?

- you can only ski in a group. Under mandatory supervision. Gondolas look verbatim unless its just your group and a guide.
- you can only eat in pre-booked resturants. That includes Pubs, apres etc.
- all tickets on trains, buses etc must be pre-booked and seats allocated.
- entire trip has to be paid for. In full. With detailed itinerary supplied to Japanese government in order to obtain permission for tour.
- Then the customer has to attend a Japanese consulate in their own country to get a VISA. With wait times already blown out beyond 10 days in the states. Reading horror stories online of Japanese inefficency.
- Then if the customer doesn't follow the rules. The tour company can be found liable and the customer potentially deported.

Looks like a crazy exercise. Basically the Japanese government is just wiping their hands of the situation and throwing it back on you guys.
Its pathetic.

*Though in Japanese fashion they may do something bonkers and panic (like they did June 8) and remove all this .

Reactions: Chrisamberely
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Election is next week..... Govt can THEN do something unpopular with older xenophobic voters.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
The govt appeared to have set up the tour group rules in such a way as to discourage visitors. For once something they've done is working!
No, it's the exact opposite IMO.....
Japan is the nation of the "guided tour".
The govt is so out of touch with foreigners that it THINKS that everybody in the world loves a guided tour. The mask mandate is to make sure all the foreigners wear a mask in the land where no mandate is enforceable on Japanese people.... and yet all Japanese people wear a mask.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
No, it's the exact opposite IMO.....
Japan is the nation of the "guided tour".
The govt is so out of touch with foreigners that it THINKS that everybody in the world loves a guided tour. The mask mandate is to make sure all the foreigners wear a mask in the land where no mandate is enforceable on Japanese people.... and yet all Japanese people wear a mask.
And if Japanese people see foreigners without masks... they may feel uncomfortable? Meiwaku?

Reactions: Hyst

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
We often ski in a group. Been doing group trips up to charmant and seaside for 15 years. You're not talking a conga line on the mountain and nobody has shared a gondie here in 2 years :)
Got my own restaurant and bar and I pre-book restaurants every year for groups. No drama there.
People will be bused to and from the airport. My mate owns the bus company. Easy
I always take full payment 60 days out. It would be full refund this year anyway if the tour can't go ahead.
Can't imagine the consolute being too busy in oz. Not sure if people are going to book something like this less than 10 days out either. It would be something planned out in September/ October.

Hopefully we don't need to do it but as I said, got to have a plan B. We are mostly full for the season already. I would just need to convince everyone to adjust dates to suit which I know a lot of them would.

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
Japanese gov doesn't want to enforce it. They want tour guides to enforce it.
Thats the crap thing.
I think you are using the word enforced too strongly. Enforced in Australia means fines. Here it is more of a respect for others. If in a group tour someone decides to pull there mask down, I am sure the guide will just ask them politely to replace it and that would be it. Not sure why you would join a tour if you want to fight the system. No one wore masks at my hotel last winter as I didn't request them to.

Chrisamberely

Early Days
Feb 14, 2022
We often ski in a group. Been doing group trips up to charmant and seaside for 15 years. You're not talking a conga line on the mountain and nobody has shared a gondie here in 2 years :)
Got my own restaurant and bar and I pre-book restaurants every year for groups. No drama there.
People will be bused to and from the airport. My mate owns the bus company. Easy
I always take full payment 60 days out. It would be full refund this year anyway if the tour can't go ahead.
Can't imagine the consolute being too busy in oz. Not sure if people are going to book something like this less than 10 days out either. It would be something planned out in September/ October.

Hopefully we don't need to do it but as I said, got to have a plan B. We are mostly full for the season already. I would just need to convince everyone to adjust dates to suit which I know a lot of them would.
Judging by what ive seen of the tour groups, a conga line is exactly what they'd expect!

Chrisamberely

Early Days
Feb 14, 2022
got a meeting on Tuesday that will outline what is required however I can't see anything in the rule book so far. If so you better be prepared for the CBC ( Cortina Backside Conga) I don't stop :)
Thanks but I just booked for Canada. If I go to the snow I don't want any sort of preplanned or packaged tour. Plus I want the freedom of eating and drinking in different places....

Good luck anyway.

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Looking at the guidelines online I can't see how ski tours could possibly work?

- you can only ski in a group. Under mandatory supervision. Gondolas look verbatim unless its just your group and a guide.
- you can only eat in pre-booked resturants. That includes Pubs, apres etc.
- all tickets on trains, buses etc must be pre-booked and seats allocated.
- entire trip has to be paid for. In full. With detailed itinerary supplied to Japanese government in order to obtain permission for tour.
- Then the customer has to attend a Japanese consulate in their own country to get a VISA. With wait times already blown out beyond 10 days in the states. Reading horror stories online of Japanese inefficency.
- Then if the customer doesn't follow the rules. The tour company can be found liable and the customer potentially deported.

Looks like a crazy exercise. Basically the Japanese government is just wiping their hands of the situation and throwing it back on you guys.
Its pathetic.

*Though in Japanese fashion they may do something bonkers and panic (like they did June 8) and remove all this .

all sounds similar to a tour we took in Myoko pre COVID, I can see more and more lodges looking to do something similar. I also hope you don't need to have a plan B but if thats the only option, then it works for me, I'm in......

Reactions: Marty McSly

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
The car park at the supermarket was bad. Now being mindful of which supermarket, what time I go and where I park my car.
The bank I can deal with because that is the government telling them that gaijin money launder. The reult being they do not want to accept you payment of your tradies bill who has an account at that branch.
Oh and I forgot the person screaming at us in the Nagano immigration office. And us was myself and 2 Japanese people.

None of these are things I have ever experienced in Japan before. Though there have been incidents similar but different to the bank thing.

• Wow
Reactions: Melskius

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
all sounds similar to a tour we took in Myoko pre COVID, I can see more and more lodges looking to do something similar. I also hope you don't need to have a plan B but if thats the only option, then it works for me, I'm in......
Each to their own.
However been told where to ski each day, at what time, what time lunch, what time finish . All while being chaperoned.

Especially in Hakuba. Eeek.

Wanna go for a walk. Sorry. Not allowed.

Reactions: M_G and andrew7

Balsta

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 11, 2012
Yep a tour as you described is definitely not for me. Not being able to walk around exploring on my own or deciding to eat at what every restaurant looks good on my way past would be a big negative for me. I’d also want to be able to drop into a konbini when I felt like it.

Just had a look at flights to North America and Europe, $1400 return to multiple city’s in Europe doesn’t seem too bad. That said I wouldn’t change anything until much closer and the cost of going to Europe may not be to my liking.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
You’ll have a fab time in the Dollies no doubt. But there is no greater contrast. I would not count on many powder days but super long groomers, world’s best scenery and great value high end cuisine is in abundance.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Tour group wouldn’t be my preference however if I had to go on a tour group - TJ would be the way I would go. Having stayed with him before and enjoyed his hospitality it wouldn’t be anything like the cookie cutter J-tours you’d expect.

Good luck making the season work. (Still hoping for fully open borders - I wanna go get my skis.)

Reactions: TJ and Marty McSly
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using