Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne

Insane prices. $2734 per person for 7 days. Also that's the special rate! Normal price you can add on another $1000.
Good news? I think not!
I put a post on MissSnowItAll's Japan FB page asking if people thought $330 pp a day for meals, drinks and accommodation was worth it (taking off the $60 per day included lift ticket, $2734/7 = $390). Perhaps she is getting paid to promote it. (EDIT: I thought my post had been deleted but I was looking at another of her multiple fb pages that has the same promotion article. )
At $3734/7 it is $533 a day including the lift ticket. Per person!

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
By contrast, I've been looking on Agoda.com at hotels in Otaru. One deal is $80 per night for a King bed room with buffet breakfast for two in February. No onsite onsen but there are free shuttle buses to several ski areas including Kiroro (40 minute drive). That would leave me+1 $700 per day cheaper than ze Club Med deal. Spending on lunch, dinner, drinks, some car hire perhaps, lift passes and trying out different onsens would still leave us with hundreds of unspent $$ in our pockets per day. Plus we wouldn't be locked in to 7 consecutive days at Kiroro.
Not on snow of course but I'm ok with that. I'd prefer to have variety and flexibility.
My partner and I would ski a few days then have a day of doing something else and resting the body while seeking out some varied cultural experiences.

Reactions: M_G and Donza

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
Good news? I think not!
I put a post on MissSnowItAll's Japan FB page asking if people thought $330 pp a day for meals, drinks and accommodation was worth it (taking off the $60 per day included lift ticket, $2734/7 = $390). It was deleted shortly afterwards. Perhaps she is getting paid to promote it.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has borne the brunt of her commercial interests overriding good discussion.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
A Club Med ski resort experience seems to me like being on a cruise ship beached on a mountain. Great if you like the all-inclusive experience but that's not how I like my holidays. Though if it was half the discounted price I could enjoy not having to make many decisions every day.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Kiroro.
Who is hearing what?…
PB just told me that it’s a Club Med now and is marketed from Mid Dec for tour group travel…
I haven’t seen/heard anything. Anyone know what the goss is?
Give me a few days and I'll post a thread describing a few ways to get into Japan to ski or snowboard even if "solo tourism" is still not available.

Gregah

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 17, 2016
Yen has fallen over the last couple of weeks from 96ish to 90ish. Bit of a mystery to me given our interest rates are going up and theirs remain on hold. Any currency gurus got a view on direction from here?

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
When I read the announcement on Kiroro this morning my initial thoughts were positive that a Resort was even advertising and selling Dec/Jan dates to Australians. Maybe they know something we don’t. Now I don’t think it’s really any different to the airlines selling flights into Japan in Dec

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Good news? I think not!
I put a post on MissSnowItAll's Japan FB page asking if people thought $330 pp a day for meals, drinks and accommodation was worth it (taking off the $60 per day included lift ticket, $2734/7 = $390). It was deleted shortly afterwards. Perhaps she is getting paid to promote it.
Miss Know Nothing is a waste of bandwidth.

Reactions: Chrisamberely

rowsey85

Hard Yards
Oct 3, 2013
Yen has fallen over the last couple of weeks from 96ish to 90ish. Bit of a mystery to me given our interest rates are going up and theirs remain on hold. Any currency gurus got a view on direction from here?
Lots of things go into it but basically AUD it's down last week or so due to the US about to be in recession, they admitted they went to hard on interest rates and had caused jittery market
Also whilst tour interest rates went up as expected, the messaging was that they will look at it each month and decide how much it needs to be, rather than having a pre set rate

Reactions: Gregah
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
There’s are Non club med hotels there too and pensions that are a 5 min drive away
Which ones? When I last discussed with an agent, both hotels (Sheraton & Tribute) were being merged into Club Med. What (little) research I've done, there is not much around there apart from down in Otaru or back in Kutchan/Hirafu?

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
Which ones? When I last discussed with an agent, both hotels (Sheraton & Tribute) were being merged into Club Med. What (little) research I've done, there is not much around there apart from down in Otaru or back in Kutchan/Hirafu?
I think he's referring to Tomamu. Blatant PR coming. We have a lodge in Tomamu, 5 mins from resort. Tomamu resort is open to all as is the great backcountry. Im not taking bookings though, until I know for sure tourism is happening. https://alpinebackcountrylodge.com

yourmate

Hard Yards
Nov 14, 2014
It would suck for the locals if they lost access to Kiroro. Me too, I haven't been there yet and I want to ski t

I think he's referring to Tomamu. Blatant PR coming. We have a lodge in Tomamu, 5 mins from resort. Tomamu resort is open to all as is the great backcountry. Im not taking bookings though, until I know for sure tourism is happening. https://alpinebackcountrylodge.com
Kiroro also has the Sherarton and Tribute......and another condo block was underway when I was last there Feb 2020.

sourmash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 30, 2011
Sydney, NSW
I have a few days booked in Tomamu Feb 2023. Do you rent split boards to do some touring/or lifted areas next to resort with a group you might have scheduled?

Reactions: telenomore

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
There’s are Non club med hotels there too and pensions that are a 5 min drive away
Any pension recommendations near Kiroro? I'm looking at doing a four week trip in Feb 23, two weeks each on Hokkaido and Honshu, including renting a 4wd Camroad for a week to see if I want to buy a used one to export to Oz.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Kiroro also has the Sherarton and Tribute......and another condo block was underway when I was last there Feb 2020.
Yep, their Hokkaido model appears to be buying old and unused buildings at operational resorts and doing up the building. Those old buildings at Tomamu were just waiting for a savvy buyer to come along.
A few more lifts and Tomamu would be sooooo good.

Reactions: telenomore

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Travel agent? They only want to put you in to the places on the GDS ststen. Which means you are not being iffered at least 3/4 of the properties available

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Any pension recommendations near Kiroro? I'm looking at doing a four week trip in Feb 23, two weeks each on Hokkaido and Honshu, including renting a 4wd Camroad for a week to see if I want to buy a used one to export to Oz.
Stay in Otaru and then you can have access to the wonderful town and the half a dozen+ resorts within an hours drive

Reactions: M_G, Donza and LMB

telenomore

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2010
I have a few days booked in Tomamu Feb 2023. Do you rent split boards to do some touring/or lifted areas next to resort with a group you might have scheduled?
Hi @sourmash yes we have splits in rental, as well as guiding service. We do lifted areas near resort. Great day to get up the gondola then go over the back (north side, not south) and use the skins for a few runs before heading back into the resort. Across the highway, across the valley really great BC terrain but not using lifts. A couple of pics from both below.
abl-gallery#11.jpg
abl-gallery#12.jpg
abl-gallery#13.jpg
abl-gallery#16.jpg
abl-gallery#18.jpg
abl-gallery#19.jpg

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
A few more lifts and Tomamu would be sooooo good.
Yeah we loved Tomamu but it shitted me no end that they seem to have cut off the lift that used to go to the top of the mountain on the Risonare side.

Sorry if off topic.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Yeah we loved Tomamu but it shitted me no end that they seem to have cut off the lift that used to go to the top of the mountain on the Risonare side.

Sorry if off topic.
True, but I didn't mind that little hike. Apparently there used to be lift that went down to the train station (or near it) The old alignment can be seen on google earth.
Replace that lift and add another to the bowl to the skiers right of the lookout and it would awesome.

Reactions: blueandwhite

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
True, but I didn't mind that little hike. Apparently there used to be lift that went down to the train station (or near it) The old alignment can be seen on google earth.
Replace that lift and add another to the bowl to the skiers right of the lookout and it would awesome.
Don't you run the risk of taking a bollocking from ski patrol and losing your lift pass by hiking that? That's what I always assumed. It is Japan after all.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Except that once it’s lift accessed you get masses more people there. Sometimes a hike or more difficult access thins the herd a bit, saves the powder for those who really want it, and are prepared to work for it.

Reactions: Goski

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
No, It's marked on the map as a 'hike up area'. When I was there in 2016 they required you to get a bib to ride that area and the trees under the gondola.
Ah okay yes. Fill in a form and undergo the verbal briefing. Of course!

I should add that we are booked in for a week at Tomamu in 2023 as we enjoyed it a lot last time. Maybe it's worth packing the skins. Although obviously it's all pie in the ski given likelihood of actually getting there!

Reactions: Tanuki

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Ah okay yes. Fill in a form and undergo the verbal briefing. Of course!

I should add that we are booked in for a week at Tomamu in 2023 as we enjoyed it a lot last time. Maybe it's worth packing the skins. Although obviously it's all pie in the ski given likelihood of actually getting there!
Nice, I'd def take the skins. Where are you staying this time?

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Nice, I'd def take the skins. Where are you staying this time?
Last time we stayed at Risonare which was unbelievably spacious by Japanese standards and the ski-in and out was soooo handy. We've downgraded to the Tower on this trip on the basis of cost. And proximity to the french toast breakfast place.

Seeing as it's the travel plans thread here's what we've locked in:

Rusutsu - Japanese pension
Tomamu - Tower
Furano - Naturwald, been before, great experience and great location
Kamui - staying in Asahikawa and getting bus each day

Renting our house out over January to fund it. Will we be able to go though?? Three of the four accommodations (and the flights) are fully refundable thankfully. And frankly if we can't go the pension in Rusutsu can keep the money - they must have got absolutely smashed in the last couple of years without overseas tourists.

Reactions: Froff Life

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
sMelbourne
Last time we stayed at Risonare which was unbelievably spacious by Japanese standards and the ski-in and out was soooo handy. We've downgraded to the Tower on this trip on the basis of cost. And proximity to the french toast breakfast place.
Yeah, we had a 'room' in the Risonare. Huge room, lounge, massive spa, sauna etc. Great (relative) value too. Apparently it's considerably more expensive now. Tower looks good and has good proximity to everything you need.

Reactions: blueandwhite

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Stay in Otaru and then you can have access to the wonderful town and the half a dozen+ resorts within an hours drive
Thats our next trip plan.
We like staying in "towns" and driving to different hills. We also like being near supermarkets and having a larger 2 bedroom place with a kitchen.
Rather staying at one and being locked in to the resort and the food/groceries etc

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Good news? I think not!
Whilst it appears most members here prefer budget accomadation, we are a tiny fraction of the overall market, which has been trending for several years now to the higher end. I know a lot of families that utilise other Club Med locations and love it and they arent cheap. Sure its spendy but if you are American not Aussie its much cheaper and convenience is never cheap, especially after such large capital inputs. Once borders open, particularly to Chinese I can see that being a very popular spot. Be thankful for small mercies as being a skier/snowboarder who wanted to ride there I'd much prefer that its full of 1st time skiers and non skiers etc than a couple hundred pow hungry Scandos. :) :)

Reactions: M_G and Goski

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Thats our next trip plan.
We like staying in "towns" and driving to different hills. We also like being near supermarkets and having a larger 2 bedroom place with a kitchen.
Rather staying at one and being locked in to the resort and the food/groceries etc
It is up in the air as to whether my kids are going to with us or not. They are going to do a gap year but haven't planned it yet. If they do I would consider finding a 2 bedder AirBn. Alternatively, another cheap Otaru hotel room with twin beds would do.
Like you @Donza I want to be able to choose the ski resort of the day and be able to access a supermarket and be in a town environment. I don't need ski-in / ski-out.

Reactions: Donza

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I'd much prefer that its full of 1st time skiers and non skiers etc than a couple hundred pow hungry Scandos. :) :)
A good point. So I can not stay there, drive in early, scoot past the beginners and get up into the good stuff. I wonder if Japanese skiers are getting displaced/put off by the trend to expensive nightly rates.

blueandwhite

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 26, 2016
TQY
Whilst it appears most members here prefer budget accomadation, we are a tiny fraction of the overall market, which has been trending for several years now to the higher end. I know a lot of families that utilise other Club Med locations and love it and they arent cheap. Sure its spendy but if you are American not Aussie its much cheaper and convenience is never cheap, especially after such large capital inputs. Once borders open, particularly to Chinese I can see that being a very popular spot. Be thankful for small mercies as being a skier/snowboarder who wanted to ride there I'd much prefer that its full of 1st time skiers and non skiers etc than a couple hundred pow hungry Scandos. :) :)
I agree, there are plenty of people I know who go to Club Med and if you want everything provided and everything all-in it's a decent option if you have the money for it. You get all your equipment thrown in, all day lessons for you and the kids every day and all the food and drinks you can force down. When you add it all up it's still expensive but unfortunately that is skiing for you and you do get a lot thrown in.

For us, we take our own skis and we like to ski with our kids rather than send them off to ski school (we do that enough at home) so it doesn't make financial sense to pay for all of that at Club Med and then not actually use it. But I totally get that for many people it would make sense.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I agree, there are plenty of people I know who go to Club Med and if you want everything provided and everything all-in it's a decent option if you have the money for it. You get all your equipment thrown in, all day lessons for you and the kids every day and all the food and drinks you can force down. When you add it all up it's still expensive but unfortunately that is skiing for you and you do get a lot thrown in.

For us, we take our own skis and we like to ski with our kids rather than send them off to ski school (we do that enough at home) so it doesn't make financial sense to pay for all of that at Club Med and then not actually use it. But I totally get that for many people it would make sense.
My brother did a Club Med trip with his family as a first timer experience. It was in a sale at the time and to be perfectly honest it cost him WAY less to do it that way with lessons and food and accom all included.

nezumi

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 28, 2009
Melbourne
The Club Med thing definitely has a certain appeal - it's that "known quality" feel to it. Just the same as ordering McDonald's overseas, you know that you might not be getting the best experience, and definitely not anything "authentic", but at least there's a kind of comfort in knowing what you *will* get.
For families there's also the benefit of consistency, especially where lessons are involved. There's going to be little to be gained from the ordinary flexibility of a trip to an area with multiple resorts if you can only get lessons in English at one - so why not go to a slightly larger resort that works for all?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using