1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan 2022 Planning

Discussion in 'Japan' started by mannyk, Jan 10, 2021.

1. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

My wife HATES night flights its difficult to find day flight form Q.
    We looked at options last trip out of HK, day flight back. but the dramas over there stopped that idea.

2. Kimski

Kimski One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

If Australia will let me out I’ll be somewhere overseas to ski in 2022. Not sure if it will be Japan yet. Who knows if we’ll be allowed to go to the US or Europe by then.

Did anyone see the news story about huge snowfalls on Honshu and wish they could go right now :cry: As much as I’m grateful that I got to ski in Japan in 2020 the snow was really poor.

3. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I was in HK for 4 days.
    I saw one bit of graffiti.
    Besides the airport security. You'd barely have known anything happened.

4. Kimski

Happy to get vaccinated and do testing but the last one is a deal breaker for me, at least with my current job. Maybe okay if home quarantine but a big no to hotel quarantine.

5. mannyk

I thought as much but wife wasnt keen.. all good, no mistakes

6. mannyk

Found pic of us waiting for bus to Haneda from Shinjuku.
    We carry too much stuff, but were getting better, that was Feb 2019

7. mannyk

8. mannyk

Naeba 2020, Im not sure if we have got better? :whistle:

9. mannyk

sorry Im having issues copying from google photos
    sorted

10. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

There is an 8.30pm direct bus to the ski resorts you mention, arriving around 1.30am to the front door of your accommodation. Like I said it completely depends on the person, how much time you have, budget etc. I personally would prefer to wake up in my accom in Nozawa Onsen or Myoko than Nagano Station.

While you could travel from Nagano early to the ski resort the next day, only you know how realistic that is after long haul with young kids. Unless you're up and eating breakfast well before sunrise, you'll be skiing on cut up slopes from skiers, some who were probably on your same flight who already got the best of conditions by taking the direct bus the night before. After a great morning skiing on fresh groomed runs or untouched powder, They could also come down early for an onsen and nap in their room, you wouldn't be able to due to check-in time being 2-3pm.

Seasonal ski resort accommodation gets another night booking instead of a chain hotel at the train station. Everybody wins (maybe except chain hotel).

#60 Jacksong, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    PiggabeenBoarder likes this.
  11. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

Other ski resorts in Nagano/Niigata can be 2-3 hours faster by train compared to bus. There always seems to be at least one strange gap in the timetable where there is no connecting bus from train station to the ski resort. I think it is often to do with the mandatory 12pm lunch time. There is no way someone could possibly eat at another more convenient time 1 hour either side of 12pm. Better to leave a Shinkansen worth of skiers stranded at the station for a few hours. This only affects foreign travellers because Japanese travellers are also eating lunch at this time.

skichanger likes this.
  12. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

If you fly into Niigata and travel to the snow on the Train you can do what I did and get half ruined trying random Sake from the Sake vending machine store. Great fun.

Kash, Kimski, Slowpony and 2 others like this.
  13. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Actually it was too much - have a look over on the Myoko thread or follow Myoko Snow Report and JoetsuMyoko. State of emergency set. Charmant and Cupid Valley couldn't open last couple of days - too much snow!

14. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

assuming things return to some normality next year, JAL's ex-SYD flight leaves in the morning and arrives approx 17:00 Tokyo time. Unfortunatley it seems all direct outbound flights to SYD from Tokyo leave from 20:00 onwards. So, no avoiding night flights coming home

15. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

I really can't understand anyone not liking night flights . Take off , dinner , a few drinks and at least you get a few hours sleep , wake up movie , and you are nearly there .
    Manny K might need to start paying for business class to keep miso happy ?

M_G, skichanger, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  16. Donzah

ANA have a day flight coming home...
    But its $$$$ and not on our FF program.

17. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Don't understand it either. Day, night makes little difference to me. Main thing is getting good connections.

M_G, LMB and Chux-sw like this.
  18. Donzah

Doesn't bother me...
    My wife gets vertigo from.
    Daughter is probably ok now. However when she was under 10. Was a pita.

19. mannyk

Dont worry its been suggested.. Since we changed to Q out of Brisbane using the A300, its not as painful for her, spoonful of cement helps..

M_G and LMB like this.
  20. smackies

smackies A Local Ski Pass: Gold

So much optimism in this thread. I like.

(Someone should probably start a 2023 Planning thread... :out:)

tr+h, Dave6, M_G and 3 others like this.
  21. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

LOL

Please allow us to maintain optimism at least until August... (having said that I ain’t booking nuthin’ yet;))

Kimski likes this.
  22. Kimski

I am contemplating booking my leave from work as soon as I can. Would be nothing worse than being allowed to travel and then not being able to get the leave you need :eek:

23. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Not a factor for me, just need to not commit to any contracts for that time period.
    Accomodation also not a factor. Just won’t release for rental until I’m sure I won’t be going.
    I’m fortunate that way.
    PB is supporting all requests for holidays now even if that means he is working super long hours covering others so that when we want to go we can just go without concern that staff will want to take holidays.

24. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Isn't the Qantas flight out of Brissie a day flight? You can get to Nagano - I picked up my kids and sister in law from Nagano when they flew over together from Brissie.

25. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Yeah I love those arrivals, not. Especially when they are late, it has puked snow, the driver decides they cannot deliver to the front door of the accommodation and someone, usually me, has to go and find the guests.

Oh add in the guest who was booked on the shuttle but they would not take him. They caught the train, we retreived them from Nagano and they areived about 3 hours before the shuttle would have got them to our place.

To many stories about people planning to arrive after 10pm having everything go wrong. Not sure what they do when their accommodation won't rescue them.

M_G likes this.
  26. skichanger

skichanger A Local

ROFL This is a great explanation about so much in Japan. The tradies at lunch time have always caused me great amusement. Asleep in the car, summer or winter, at lunch time.

27. PiggabeenBoarder

PiggabeenBoarder Hard Yards

Yeah I could imagine @skichanger and I couldn't do it to you guys...not that I'd really want to be traveling and arriving that late in the night even without kids. I'd be buggered the next day anyway and probably wouldn't get up in time for any early tracks. Nup, I think the best idea as others have stated is just to get as close as possible (say Nagano) and then get going really early the next day. Most accommodation (especially the one we use in Nozawa) would happily let us drop out bags and gear so we could get out for a ride.

Jacksong likes this.
  28. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Yeah getting a good nights sleep and an early train really is the best option. Our guests are welcome to drop their gear in the morning, and check in when they get back after hitting the slopes. But some people won't listen. Most guests who arrive in the wee hours don't ski/board the next morning. And the idea of doing that with kids.... I am a big fan of not making life harder than it needs to be.

It is different when things go wrong and it is out of our guests control. We had a 4 am arrival last season dues to delayed and cancelled flights. We picked some 20 year olds up from Nagano one year, also because of cancelled flights and it becoming apparent they were becoming really stressed. That was our choice. We had a 3am pick up from Myoko Kogen station because of parents in Aus that thought Japan was so unsafe their daughter could not stay in a hotel at Narita over night. The drive in a 2wd taxi would have been more unsafe.Not our choice but needed to manage the anxiety of the people already with us.

Avoiding the mad rush to get to us that night is one of the reasons I chose to fly overnight. But I am a good traveler and just go to sleep.

PiggabeenBoarder likes this.
  29. hatto

hatto One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Or get to nagano visit lots of little bars, try to chat with patrons in very bad japanese, laugh lots, eat and drink and the next thing you know, the sun is coming up, jump on train, arrive at Nozawa - go boarding - winning.
    Funny thing is i am trying to get them to help me with Japanese but they want me to talk english to help them learn English (so much fun to be had)

Born2skii, M_G, Lucky Pete and 2 others like this.
  30. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

JAL timetables suit us. Day flight going over. Straight to our accommodation for the night in Tokyo or a domestic flight to a different city and usually arrive around 9 pm.
    Coming home night flight usually on a Friday or Saturday night and catch up on the sleep you missed in the air when you get home from the airport.
    I'm getting too old for the gotta hit the snow as soon as possible imperative.
    I know it's a first world problem and all but I gotta say we're very sad there is no 2021 trip coming up. :(

31. Donzah

To be honest I probably enjoyed the Sydney HK route to Osaka the most.
    I'll prob enjoy the Chitose route more.
    We liked hanging in HK for a few days.
    JAL direct was good as well.
    Though we were smashed tired. We'd been up since 4am to make it to the airport.

32. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Another reason I like night flights.
    We leave Berridale 4pm ish, do the super easy stress free Canberra check in, transfer from domestic to international in Sydney and avoid the Sydney airport shit fight. To easy.

Day flights - not practicable as it means either staying in Canberra overnight or leaving home at some ridiculous hour, dodging wildlife etc.

I don't understand what the issue is with not wanting to do night flights. From my point of view it is a day not lost to traveling.

33. skichanger

skichanger A Local

To funny! I can imagine you doing that.

hatto likes this.
  34. Donzah

I just drive.
    Maybe its a aussie thing. Used to driving down the snow after work on a Friday.
    But screw spending more time not in control of your destiny.

Tonester likes this.
  35. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

Fair enough.

When I arrived on that night bus the accommodation had just left the key and a little check-in guide at the front desk. I slept about 4 hours on the bus, so arriving at 1.30am and sleeping again until 7am was more than enough for me. Walked to the chairlift at 8.30am after breakfast in the hotel.

I think with kids it would be easy enough stay in Nagano and write the first day off, at least the first half of the day. Just hope that isn't the one powder day of the trip. I guess you will have a good idea of the forecast and go from there.

I think the point I'm missing here is not everyone comes to Japan for powder, most people are more than happy just skiing normal slopes!

PiggabeenBoarder and Lucky Pete like this.
  36. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

If it wasn't for the powder I would have never came to Japan .
    It's all about the powder .

LMB, Born2skii and Tonester like this.
  37. Toto Warmlet

Toto Warmlet One of Us

38. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Yep! I could tell some similar stories for sure.

My advice for guests is to get to Nagano before midnight on the shink, sleep there and get an early train. Drop bags at the lodge and you still get in almost a whole day of skiing after being well rested. 6 hours + in a van after 12 hours in a plane with a 1.30am (or later) arrival does not augur for a good first day.

I'm a fan of night flights. My kids are absolutely fine with them and the time goes quicker. Now that the Q day flight from MEL doesn't arrive till 8pm it's pretty impossible to get to Myoko that evening unless I go for the van/bus. Morning flights back to Oz mean a need to stay in Tokyo the night before. So ideally it's night flights both ways.

39. mannyk

Yes on the way over its a day flight, and we enjoy it, make a bit of a party out of it..Its the return flight shes not to keen on.I get it does feel a bit like torture confined to small space trying to sleep. I concede to it all and watch movies and get maybe 2 hrs.

40. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

And avalanche barriers :p:p:p

41. mannyk

Im happpy to spend the first night in a Narita hotel, free shuttle to and from airport and catch the bus or train first thing, our first ski day is always the second day after arrival. Its supposed to be a relaxing holiday, we never feel we havent skied enough by the time we leave so no need to ski at the expense of added stress and tiredness asap.
    We havent gone into Narita for dinner as you suggested, nest time will try.

M_G, Born2skii and Jacksong like this.
  42. Donzah

I'll pose this question.
    Why the need to go to nagano?
    Expand your horizons.
    There are far more appropriate ski resorts with easier access

43. mannyk

Only because I only spent 3 days at Shiga a couple of years ago and want to get a better look. We are expanding our horizons by then going up to Mt Bandai area. Last season we went to Yuzawa/Naeba/Kagura.
    Definitely looking further than Nagano.

44. Donzah

Go to Aizu.

* i did entertain the idea of a hakuba/aizu trip as we get epic passes at Hakuba.
    ** it didn't make sense

45. mannyk

I get it , but we will use the time going north as rest days. I cant ski 10 days straight, no matter how I think I could sitting here in my recliner..:thumbs:
    Why Aizu? Mt Bandai has a few resorts in easy driving distance from each other, but happy to hear other suggestions

46. Donzah

Aizu region is Bandai

47. mannyk

Thats what I thought, but you said go to Aizu, I thought you meant different to where were planning.
    After 22 I doubt we would be back to Nagano, so much to see and ski..I hope Im fit enough to continue for many years to come.
    Slowly creeping north..;)

48. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

There's A LOT to discover between Nagano and the north coast of Honshu.
    I like to go back to old favourites that I've found over the last few years and mix that in with new territory. My next japow road trip will hopefully include some quality time in Gifu.

M_G and mannyk like this.
  49. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

I worked out that the majority of people traveling over to Japan to ski actually dislike powder very much. I mean, they can't ski in it, the kids are freezing and crying, they can't see anything.

I think other regions of Japan would be much better for foreign tourists to ski but they seem to choose the snowiest ones.

M_G and mannyk like this.
  50. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Not my experience .
    Adults want to master it
    Kids love rolling around / jumping in it , and are stoked when they smash the pow run on the side of the groomed .

Born2skii and M_G like this.