1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan 2022 Planning

Discussion in 'Japan' started by mannyk, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Hmmmm...not so sure. Powder is an elusive mistress for sure. People want to ski it, even if they can't do it well...or at all. I have a friend who travels with me to japow often. He bangs on about the pow before, during and after, but sadly he can't ski it particularly well. But he keeps going back for that "legendary pow". Powder may be an elusive mistress, but she is harsh as well. That's a drawcard for many I would say.

Nozawaman likes this.
  2. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

The market has changed with many more 1st time families and those from new markets where powder is not the priority and whilst a great deal of guests still hope for big dumps I reckon the majority of our guests now would prefer bluebird days.

M_G, PiggabeenBoarder and Jacksong like this.
  3. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Interesting comment and completely different to what we see.

Have you ever skied in Aus with the sheets of ice we get? Even the worst of the snow in Japan is better.

As for not being able to ski in it, sure some, including me, cannot but lots can. At least they try. It amazes me that so many Japanese are happy to stay on the groomers when there is so much more to try.

As for kids freezing and not being able to see, sure if you go up north it is really cold and cloudy most of the time but Niigata and Nagano are very similar climate wise to the areas that get snow in Australia. The difference is the amount of precipitation. And they get lots of sunny days. Problem is people have been brain washed that Niseko is the only place in Japan where there is skiing and snow.

4. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

There is a reason why the change in the markets is not universal across Japan. As an example Myoko and Madarao are 5 to 10 years behind the Hakuba curve as a 1st time non-Australian family destination so you wont see much of a difference in guest types there yet. Those 1st time families is the emerging market with the greatest economic impact. They often rent mid to high end self contained accomadation, hire or buy all gear, use multi day private lessons and eat out most meals and often rent a car. Once facilities in places like Madarao and Myoko improve, particularly those better suiting those families etc and the international marketing follows suit you'll also see changes there but that will be a slow build.

5. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

Haha, Agree with this exactly.

My feeling is that at the actual moment, powder is not fun at all for beginners, mostly because you can't physically move or see on many green runs when it's puking. But I can almost guarantee you are right, they will be raving about all the snow they received. Intermediate to advanced skiers and it is another story.

I have never seen so many happy family skiers as last season in Japan.

6. Jacksong

Jacksong Addicted

Depends, not this season. Not so far this year.. There has only been a couple of days above zero.

Regarding powder. I think it's like surfing. No surfer will admit they do not like a barrel/tube wave, although most surfers cannot surf in these waves, most surfers have never had a proper tube, most claim they have. It's like powder. Nobody says they do not like it, even if they are constantly stuck and drowning in it.

#106 Jacksong, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    TeePee likes this.
  7. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I’m starting to be doubtful about Australian’s ability to safely and relatively conveniently travel to the northern hemisphere next winter but Japan seems most likely I guess. So assuming things have settled down enough by then.......

Myself, my wife and two teenage kids plan to have at least 6 weeks from the week prior to Christmas through to the end of January.
    We will want to be on skis for a lot of that time but we’ve not toured around Tokyo yet so will definitely want to fit that in.
    My thoughts would be to head to Hokkaido somewhere for the first couple of weeks. Then a week doing touristy things on Honshu followed by a few weeks skiing on Honshu. That would mean the touristy week would be first week of January which should allow time for winter to kick in around Nagano?
    What to do with our ski gear the week we don’t need it?
    It the first week of January a bad time for some reason to be in Tokyo and surrounds? Too busy with holidays?
    One spot for the final three weeks or break it up?
    Never been on the Buller train so catch it back from Sapporo to the main island?

8. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Do the tourist stuff the 2 weeks prior to xmas then you have January for the prime skiing time .

pat crowley and Sandy like this.
  9. Sbooker

Tokyo over Christmas/New Year? Too busy/expensive?
    Then a couple of weeks on Hokkaido and a couple on Honshu?

10. Asama

Asama Addicted

Sounds fun!

Don't think it's particularly busy around then. If anything quieter as NYE is very family-focused, but probably not much in it. There's normally an influx of people into Tokyo around 2nd/3rd Jan just before everyone goes back to work, so long distance inbound trains/flights are busy around then.

The bullet train won't reach Sapporo for a few more years, so you'd have to get yourself to Hakodate first to connect. But great idea in principle. I'd take train over flying any day (prob more expensive, but much more fun).

11. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

If you're expecting fireworks at NY, you'd be out of luck, if that was your intention in Tokyo. Also, many/most attractions are closed on 1st Jan. Tokyo at Christmas is not busy, because it's a normal working day!!! Christmas is an excuse for a festival, and the month leading up has some great Xmas as lights around Tokyo.
    Some more westernised snow resorts are more likely to have fireworks, in fact.
    If heading to Niseko, and not necessarily after deep back country powder, you might be better off going before NY, when it's much quieter, than in January. (your original plan)
    The weekend around NY(around 4 days) is usually the busiest of the season.

Sbooker likes this.
  12. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

If you are keen for that plan
    Then somewhere like Niseko will give you Christmas and NY celebrations. If you black cat your luggage from Niseko to your hotel in the Honshu resort of your choice and just take hand luggage to Tokyo it will work better for you. Your bags will be at your accomodation on arrival.
    Have fun planning - that’s half the enjoyment!

13. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

With 6 weeks in total you can easily do a couple of days of touristy stuff between skiing various places. That allows you do send ski gear ahead by Takkyubin to the next skiing location, so you don't need to take it on the trains. Train from Sapporo to Tokyo is about 8-9 hours if you do it all in a single trip, but with the time you have there is absolutely no need to do that.

You could fly to Hokkaido and do a north to south trip, stopping at a few places on the way. Spend a week or two in Hokkaido, with maybe some touristy stuff in Sapporo, then get regular train to Hakodate, then Shinkansen to Morioka. Spend some time checking ski areas around there or just base at Appi Kogen. Then continue on train, maybe a tourist stop in Sendai, continue to Koriyama and Inawashiro and have a few days in the Aizu region. Onto to Tokyo for a few days, then train again to somewhere in Nagano/Niigata, then train back to airport. Would be epic I think.

Kimski, pat crowley, Sandy and 2 others like this.
  14. Sbooker

I think I’ve found someone to hassle with PM’s later in year.:D

tot likes this.
  15. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

No need to hassle....school yourself by reading @Heinz's many extensive blog posts!

M_G, Kimski and Heinz like this.
  16. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Can start here ;) Heinz's blog - Japan (ski.com.au)

M_G and Tonester like this.
  17. argento

argento Hard Yards

I think I will pop in and out this thread....the other threads currently have way much more snow on them than I can handle.....*sigh*

Kimski and LMB like this.
  18. bengarden

bengarden One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I think everyone needs to mentally prepare that we won't be getting Japow 2 years in a row. They told us a vaccine would be the key but now it's like, a vaccine won't prevent people spreading Coranavirus so we can't have the borders open anyways and the only point to the vaccine is to prevent lives being lost ( a valuable effect of course but hardly stops transmission and thus borders opening ) Its going to be touch and go either way even if borders opened by end this year, not going to be so many airfares cheap and easy to get.........First World problems right, whether you get to ski powder or not?!

See below

"The head of Australia’s health department believes it is unlikely international borders will substantially reopen this year, even if most people are vaccinated against coronavirus.

Brendan Murphy downplayed the prospect of a widespread easing of border restrictions, meaning dreams of international travel this year remain on hold.

“I think the answer is probably no,” Prof Murphy told the ABC on Monday.

“Even if we have a lot of the population vaccinated, we don’t know whether that will prevent transmission of the virus.”

19. smackies

smackies A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Jesus, I might've even been too optimistic with the 2023 thread suggestion.

Someone start the 2024 planning thread.

Hyst, Kimski and LMB like this.
  20. LMB

I think he is focusing on the wrong thing.

A new virus sweeping the globe that gives people a cold isn’t a worry. No one cares. We all get colds.

Covid sweeping the globe is putting people in hospital and on ventilators. If the vaccine stops that from happening then we are back to a cold. We should be able to open up.
    At the very least open with home quarantine allowed.

Sandy and bengarden like this.
  21. bengarden

bengarden One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Agreed. Basically, what will ever be the trigger to open things up if a vaccine which has been fully rolled out here by say October/November isn't? Do they actually not even trust the vaccine to do anything like what its meant to do? Back to Japan stuff, its killing me watching just how good the season is in Hokkaido this year. Pretty much epic.....I will be planning our trip as soon as theres something looking like we'll be able to go

LMB likes this.
  22. Sandy

Exactly. There's something wrong in the logic.
    Flu generally kills 1200-1500 people every year in Australia.... why aren't we closing borders to stop that happening?

We all know that pretty much ALL primary infections started in quarantine hotels.... Buses from airport to Q hotel can spread it, and lax security/ hygiene can spread it in the hotel.... and out of the hotel.

Australia have never implemented mandatory tests 72 hours before OS flight departure, and no test at the airport on arrival. Why not? If the test at departure picks up 80% of infections, and the test on arrival picks up 80%, then those steps will pick up 96% of infections. You can then quarantine at home and the airport can give you a rapid test kit to do yourself on day 5. This could pick up 99.2% of infections.
    Look at the tennis players... a test on arrival picked up 3 infections.

If you can reduce the infections to less than 5% of current arrivals housed in Q hotels, then you could house them in a PROPER quarantine facility, not a makeshift hotel debacle.

LMB and mannyk like this.
  23. Donzah

Donzah Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I thought this was a Japan planning thread...

M_G, LMB and Lucky Pete like this.
  24. smackies

No plans to be had, man.

LMB likes this.
  25. Sandy

Yeah, people have to be ABLE to get out of Australia to go to Japan in 2022.

LMB likes this.
  26. Donzah

I'm good at tennis

M_G, Roymond and LMB like this.
  27. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Im all for planning on the positives (no pun), planning my trip for 2022.:thumbs: See ya in Shiga in Feb 22,
    sheelberitemate.

elSpike, LMB, Melskius and 1 other person like this.
  28. smackies

I’ll be happy if I get to Tasmania.

LMB likes this.
  29. Donzah

You can go.
    Ward. Not so much

30. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Gold! :)

31. LMB

Can ya teach me?
    I wanna travel too...

32. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

33. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

By the way, 2022 is Beijing Winter Olympics year. Flight between Beijing and Japan is quite cheap and fast. I wonder how it will affect Japan's 2021 - 2022 season. And actually, the winter olympics in China is very important for Japanese ski resorts (considering the mega population of China but ski resorts in China are basically very dry and most snow is artificial and if they want deep snow, they'll fly to Japan).

34. LMB

But most events are run on hard packed surfaces not powdery pistes, I’d suggest an advantage in getting acclimatised to the Chinese conditions...
    Although to spread out training it would seem logical for other countries particularly Southern Hemisphere ones to send teams to Japan to train.

35. Balsta

Balsta One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I assume Ramenman is talking about tourist. All the European and North American spectators who are going to the effort to travel to China to watch the Olympics will tack on a side trip to Japan for some real skiing. Could be a very busy Japanese season.

Ramenman likes this.
  36. skichanger

skichanger A Local

Did they do that when the winter olympics were in Korea?

37. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I'm talking about tourists (not athletes). Some freestyle teams were actually at Japanese ski resorts for Winter Olympics in Korea, though. The video below = US freestyle team were at Aomori spring ski resort in Aomori Pref for the Olympics. The ski resort has mega half pipes.

38. LMB

I think most went where they usually were in the Northern Season. Friend who medaled in Pipe trains and came from Breck for Korea. But no doubt some would, or would go to host country early, especially if the climate or time zone required a bit of adapting.

Ahh ok.
    Yeah good point.
    We went the other way. Used the Olympics in Korea as our Visa Hop location because it was on and so close to Japan. But many spectators might think heck I’m so close to Japan we may as well add a week there to our Olympic trip.

39. skichanger

skichanger A Local

This is what everyone I know did. The schedule is to tight to travel somewhere just to train. And, unfortunately, a lot of decisions are made quite late in the piece.

Add in mis-information, the moguls powers that be believe you cannot do moguls in Japan because they went to Niseko 20 years ago and had to remake the course every day. We all know Niseko is the only place in Japan, ;) even though these guys went to Naeba for years and Tazawaka for the last few years for World Cup events. And we won't take into consideration that the current No. 1 make moguls skier is Japanese. :headbang::headbang::headbang: I have given up.

But quite validly the downhill guys want hard, water injected, courses which are rare in Japan.

None of it makes sense to me. None of it seems at all rational.

LMB likes this.
  40. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

If they want Moguls all they need to do is go to Happo. 2 days after snowfall the entire place is a golf ball.

M_G, 2ESki, TACKIE and 2 others like this.
  41. LMB

LOL
    Ain’t that the truth!

42. Donzah

Where VW beetles go to die

M_G likes this.