Japan 2022 snow season Planning

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
There will be a full freight load to offset the lack of pax load.
Although I don't know where these people are located but there is continued reports here in Aus of the 40,000 australian citizens still trying to return to Aus, currently there is a cap on the number of returnees each week. Come the 28th Oct when the 80% double vac point is reached and international travel possibly recommences then these returnees should be taking up a lot of seats on returning flights to Aus

Reactions: sli1

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Remember also, that if you got a good price and able to shift the booking free, you will still need to pay any difference in cost, should the new dates be more expensive.

For example, I was looking at shifting dates from early December to later, on tickets I booked in May (return flight from the US to Japan), but I'd have to pay an ADDITIONAL $1400 USD to change them.
That happened to me twice domestically this winter.
Now i have Credit with Jstar and Virgin.

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Sandy detailed the process of arriving in Japan recently.
Thats for residents though.
and that was for the current situation, still awaiting the process for when Japan opens up to international travellers, a 14 day HO or home quarantine on arrival is not workable.
PCR test on arrival or within 72 hrs, yes. Antigen testing yes, 2-4 days HQ, yes. APP tracking with day 3, 8 & 14 testing could even work

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
My understanding is that like in the past there will be no need for the individuals to collect his/her bags they will be transferred to the connecting flight and collected at MELB, (how they do that I dont know, never have worked that detail out) but like flying MELB/Tokyo/Sapporo.
Passenger would not exit from the international terminal but just transfer to the connecting flight. Assuming that internal state boarders are open at this stage so the SYD to MELB flight would be both international and domestic passengers. Im also expecting that there will be a home quarantine period on arrival in melbourne while getting a PCR test.

Personally I'm more concerned with the process on arrival in Japan as there is still no details being made available that Im aware off
That process is not workable ATM.
- If passengers do not exit from the international terminal but just transfer to the connecting flight, then it must still be an international flight.
- If bags are transferred to the connecting flight and collected at MELB, it will bypass customs unless it's done in Melbourne.... but that can't be done unless it's also an international flight. If it's a domestic flight, it bypasses customs.

- I know the current process in Japan, and it's available on mofa.go.jp

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
and that was for the current situation, still awaiting the process for when Japan opens up to international travellers, a 14 day HO or home quarantine on arrival is not workable.
PCR test on arrival or within 72 hrs, yes. Antigen testing yes, 2-4 days HQ, yes. APP tracking with day 3, 8 & 14 testing could even work
Most online reading I've read (Japan based) talks of a gradual opening up to business based travel around Feb to April next year.
The whole tourisim thing doesn't really have much impetus.

Reactions: Lucky Pete

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Last year, there were business visas available with bubble countries, where no quarantine was necessary.

Current testing rules on arrival in Japan:
- PCR or rapid antigen test required within 72 hours before flight departure (or you are unable to board the flight)
- Rapid antigen mandatory on arrival in Japan.
- Home isolation for 14 days. If you are arriving from a "high risk" country or region, 3 days QH stay required until a negative rapid antigen test result (on the 3rd day).

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
If all else fails then Fiji recently announced plans to hopefully start receiving international travellers from Nov. It will have to be a surf trip rather than a snow trip, not my preference but.......

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Previously, Australians could enter Japan on the "Visa Exemption (short stay)", as either tourists or business for 3 months..

I think I mentioned it previously, but for those countries that have visa exemption/waivers for Japan (including Australia), they are all currently suspended, except for a few countries.

Japan has taken measures concerning the Visa Exemption Arrangements with 68 countries and regions as the chart below. But the arrangements have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions (Note 9), as a border control measures against novel coronavirus (COVID-19).​
(Note 9) Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.​

This means that 61 countries are currently suspended from "Visa Exemption (short stay)", but 7 countries are NOT suspended:
Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.

Foreign nationals (including those who are originally from visa exemption countries/regions) who have stayed in any of countries/regions subject to denial of permission to enter Japan within 14 days prior to the application for landing are denied to enter Japan
(except for those who are resident in Japan)

It's hard to tell with Japan, but this could also mean something else. If you are from Canada, it looks like you can now enter Japan unless you've been to other suspended countries. However, it could ALSO mean that if you are from Australia, and you've spent 14 days in Canada, you may possibly be allowed into Japan, because you didn't spend 14 days in Australia before that!!!!!

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html

Reactions: Hyst

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Previously, Australians could enter Japan on the "Visa Exemption (short stay)", as either tourists or business for 3 months..

I think I mentioned it previously, but for those countries that have visa exemption/waivers for Japan (including Australia), they are all currently suspended, except for a few countries.

Japan has taken measures concerning the Visa Exemption Arrangements with 68 countries and regions as the chart below. But the arrangements have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions (Note 9), as a border control measures against novel coronavirus (COVID-19).​
(Note 9) Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.​

This means that 61 countries are currently suspended from "Visa Exemption (short stay)", but 7 countries are NOT suspended:
Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.

Foreign nationals (including those who are originally from visa exemption countries/regions) who have stayed in any of countries/regions subject to denial of permission to enter Japan within 14 days prior to the application for landing are denied to enter Japan
(except for those who are resident in Japan)

It's hard to tell with Japan, but this could also mean something else. If you are from Canada, it looks like you can now enter Japan unless you've been to other suspended countries. However, it could ALSO mean that if you are from Australia, and you've spent 14 days in Canada, you may possibly be allowed into Japan, because you didn't spend 14 days in Australia before that!!!!!

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html
now you are just teasing, Canada and Japan in the same trip

Reactions: Sandy

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Sandy detailed the process of arriving in Japan recently.
Thats for residents though.
It's typical Japanese efficiency .... corralled into an area after disembarking , saliva test , then another area to wait for results ,then directed to immigration as normal .
I landed and exited terminal in just over an hour and a bit .

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
It's typical Japanese efficiency .... corralled into an area after disembarking , saliva test , then another area to wait for results ,then directed to immigration as normal .
I landed and exited terminal in just over an hour and a bit .
Takes longer now. There are more things to check: QR code check, COVID test, check of COVID test document from departure country, checking google maps for tracking, email check for contact, signing of Pledge, fill in questionaire, installing Apps, COVID results. Then immigration. I also spent 3 days in a QH, before going home for 11 days isolation. Also not allowed to use public transport.

Reactions: Nemps20

argento

Hard Yards
Jul 30, 2012
Takes longer now. There are more things to check: QR code check, COVID test, check of COVID test document from departure country, checking google maps for tracking, email check for contact, signing of Pledge, fill in questionaire, installing Apps, COVID results. Then immigration. I also spent 3 days in a QH, before going home for 11 days isolation. Also not allowed to use public transport.
Damn...... sounds endless...

are they likely to add anal swabs to that list? It’s about the only thing missing from it ....

Nemps20

Early Days
Jul 27, 2021
Sydney
4 and a half months till we have bookings to Japan, they need to open up as much as we do for economic purposes. Both countries on similar vaccine rollout. We booked as need to get there, lot of optimistic chatter, both political and on line, and didn't want to miss out.
Bring on some of that great Japanese hospo.. fingers crossed :)

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
4 and a half months till we have bookings to Japan, they need to open up as much as we do for economic purposes. Both countries on similar vaccine rollout. We booked as need to get there, lot of optimistic chatter, both political and on line, and didn't want to miss out.
Bring on some of that great Japanese hospo.. fingers crossed :)
It's different here in Japan, compared to Australia. There is a "state of emergency", but quite frankly, is doesn't have much impact.
There have been no lock downs at all. The economic impact due to "state of emergency" is nothing like the impact in Australia due to lock downs. It's had an impact on alcohol consumption in restaurants, and restaurants & bars are asked nicely to close at 8pm.

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
+1 wont let me push the button on flights to Japan. Very annoying when QF have flights in March for $1k, $900 with ANA. Kids missing school blah blah blah. After seeing how quickly they bang out their school work over the past few months I doubt that would affect them too much, but that is probably a whole new thread haha.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I think it is a time for boys or girls trips. Hasn't everyone spent enough time with their families anyway. I actually think that's what we will see this season. Travel will be a hassle with kids. I reckon it will just add possible unforeseen complications.
Gotta love the girls/boys trip!!

I think there is also the complication of leaving kids at home in a world where Covid exists and you can’t get home in a matter of hours thanks to limited flights needing a test before flying and potential quarantine. We have discussed this with not all of the boys (adults) being vaccinated. Are we happy to risk not making it back if something bad happened. One at a time might be ok. Folks leaving kids with grandparents might be a step too far for many right now.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Time will show, Kono and maybe Shimmura show interest - Takaichi will not have a chance i LDP.
Ishiba is to be avoided by all means! But I guess he will have the population agains him - just like Suga now.
Suga against Nikai was a interesting outcome.

For skiing I think we should hope for Kishida, if LDP wins the election.

Suga came bad out of his struggel with Nikai, and I just love the picture Nikai uses:
https://www.jimin.jp/english/profile/profiles/119735.html (keeps good for his age!:evil:).
OK Ishiba does not run! :clap::woohoo:

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Canada will be open and accepting aussies by new years.
Im leaning in that direction, been showing wife vids on Sun Peaks. just laying some foundation. Philippine air have fights Bris-Manila- Yvr,$1500. Soon to be sons In laws are in Manila, not met yet so thats a option. BUT my heart still wants to do Japan.

Reactions: Kash

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019
+1 wont let me push the button on flights to Japan. Very annoying when QF have flights in March for $1k, $900 with ANA. Kids missing school blah blah blah. After seeing how quickly they bang out their school work over the past few months I doubt that would affect them too much, but that is probably a whole new thread haha.
Any idea why most flights in Feb/ March flying Melbs- Sydney-Tokyo-Sapporo are flying through Sydney. Wondering if it’s due to a lack of flights. Loving the prices for that time

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Any idea why most flights in Feb/ March flying Melbs- Sydney-Tokyo-Sapporo are flying through Sydney. Wondering if it’s due to a lack of flights. Loving the prices for that time
These flights don't actually "exist" . You're just seeing a airline submitting a random timetable to the aggregated websites and their booking systems.
Once the borders open to a degree the airlines will adjust their actual routes on a demand based algorithm.
This will occur late December imo.

Reactions: sara777

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Once the borders open ….
Hoping we get clarity around our international borders, quarantine arrangements,
Internal borders/domestic connections etc as well as Japan (or other country) travel options/requirements in the next few months.

keeping an eye, ready to hit the bid once it looks like it’s a go without too much cluster****

Reactions: sara777

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
What an absolutely bizarre set of countries! Certainly doesn't seem reflective of infection rates, so I wonder what the logic is...

And as far as I know there hasn't been an influx of American tourists, so I assume there is some other factor preventing casual tourism?

Reactions: Sandy

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
ANA just notified me that our outgoing flight Jan 1 SYD-HND is cancelled.

Not looking good for Japan winter 22 guys. First flights now commence Jan 9th. This doesn't work for us, so no Japan "this year" :(

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
The incoming quarantine requirements for Canada are very doable, my hope is that Japan goes down a similar path when the time comes

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 1.44.44 pm.png

Reactions: mannyk

Nemps20

Early Days
Jul 27, 2021
Sydney
Hoping we get clarity around our international borders, quarantine arrangements,
Internal borders/domestic connections etc as well as Japan (or other country) travel options/requirements in the next few months.

keeping an eye, ready to hit the bid once it looks like it’s a go without too much cluster****
think positive things LMB, it'll happen fingers crossed :) .. push the button

Jarryboy

One of Us
Jun 4, 2019
These flights don't actually "exist" . You're just seeing a airline submitting a random timetable to the aggregated websites and their booking systems.
Once the borders open to a degree the airlines will adjust their actual routes on a demand based algorithm.
That explains a few things, I’ll look again in January.
Thanks mate

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That explains a few things, I’ll look again in January.
Thanks mate
It may be sooner.

However Last april I was looking at october this year.
Cheap flights to Japan on Ana.
Most of these flights got canned cause of demand.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne

"Qantas’s first commercial international flights in almost two years are set to takeoff on December 18, to London, Los Angeles, Vancouver and Singapore.
The services will depart from Melbourne and Sydney, and in the case of the London flights go via either Perth or Singapore.

The next day, more destinations will come on line including Tokyo and Fiji, as well as flights from Brisbane to Singapore and Los Angeles."

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011

"Qantas’s first commercial international flights in almost two years are set to takeoff on December 18, to London, Los Angeles, Vancouver and Singapore.
The services will depart from Melbourne and Sydney, and in the case of the London flights go via either Perth or Singapore.

The next day, more destinations will come on line including Tokyo and Fiji, as well as flights from Brisbane to Singapore and Los Angeles."
Sadly, I don't think this is correct in relation to Tokyo.

Today ANA cancelled all ex Sydney flights until January 9th.

They obviously know something that we (and Qantas) don't.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Yep I wouldn't risk having to transfer via another domestic city. There are *usually* direct flights Melb - Tokyo with Jetstar, JAL and/or Qantas. Fingers crossed these flights start to be reinstated in the near future
Check JAL. When I booked I was only offered a codeshare direct with MAS into Adelaide, nothing going via the other capitals.

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
ANA just notified me that our outgoing flight Jan 1 SYD-HND is cancelled.

Not looking good for Japan winter 22 guys. First flights now commence Jan 9th. This doesn't work for us, so no Japan "this year" :(
I was going to book ANA. Glad I didn't. Hopefully that will push more people across to JAL and we might have a chance. Fingers crossed!

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
My one and only time to Japan was a two day stopover flying ANA Sydney to Vancouver via Osaka in 1996. From memory, the Sydney to Osaka leg (could have been both legs) was on a brand new plane with hardly anyone on it. Remains my favourite OS flight to this day!

Reactions: JayJee and Donza
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass