Japan 2022 snow season Planning

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I suspect that the first few weeks after flights resume out of Australia, there will probably still be flights less than half full.

Based on my experience, I have some tips:
- Check your seat allocation a couple of weeks before your flight, to get an idea of how crowded the flight will be, then again about 2-3 days before.
- If the flights are way less than half full, change your seat so you have a full empty row. That way, you can lie down. If it's 3-3-3, take the window side, and if it's 2-4-2 take the centre. Here's is my next flight:

Airline seat strategy.jpg

If you check two days before, you are in "C" and somebody has taken "G" in the same row, move to a different row. For example, I'd change to the row behind.

If you are in the main cabin, you have a better chance of getting an empty row if you are further back:
Airline seat strategy2.jpg

If there are TWO of you and plenty of empty rows, don't take the two window seats (like they have in 46 & 47^^), take the centre seats "D" & "F". Nobody will take "C" & "G". Make sure you pick a row that is empty both in front and behind so one of you can swap rows and you can both sleep in 4 seats.

- Don't take a bulkhead or exit row.... these have the immovable armrests so you can't lie down.

- Don't pick an aisle seat that is across the aisle from another person (less than 1m away)
- Pick a seat that's behind other people not in front.

- Don't bother with premium economy if the flight is less than half full, because premium economy has the wider seats with the immovable armrests so you can't lie down.
- Take some sanitising wipes just in case they don't provide these for wiping down video screen, tray table, seat belt clasp, etc.

- If it looks like you'll be in Japanese QH for 3 days, take some cup-a-noodles with you so you can have some hot food.
- Take an N95 mask for train transfers & any domestic flights, as you will be cheek to jowl with everybody else. Same on buses.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I suspect that the first few weeks after flights resume out of Australia, there will probably still be flights less than half full.

Based on my experience, I have some tips:
- Check your seat allocation a couple of weeks before your flight, to get an idea of how crowded the flight will be, then again about 2-3 days before.
- If the flights are way less than half full, change your seat so you have a full empty row. That way, you can lie down. If it's 3-3-3, take the window side, and if it's 2-4-2 take the centre. Here's is my next flight:

Airline seat strategy.jpg

If you check two days before, you are in "C" and somebody has taken "G" in the same row, move to a different row. For example, I'd change to the row behind.

If you are in the main cabin, you have a better chance of getting an empty row if you are further back:
Airline seat strategy2.jpg

If there are TWO of you and plenty of empty rows, don't take the two window seats (like they have in 46 & 47^^), take the centre seats "D" & "F". Nobody will take "C" & "G". Make sure you pick a row that is empty both in front and behind so one of you can swap rows and you can both sleep in 4 seats.

- Don't take a bulkhead or exit row.... these have the immovable armrests so you can't lie down.

- Don't pick an aisle seat that is across the aisle from another person (less than 1m away)
- Pick a seat that's behind other people not in front.

- Don't bother with premium economy if the flight is less than half full, because premium economy has the wider seats with the immovable armrests so you can't lie down.
- Take some sanitising wipes just in case they don't provide these for wiping down video screen, tray table, seat belt clasp, etc.

- If it looks like you'll be in Japanese QH for 3 days, take some cup-a-noodles with you so you can have some hot food.
- Take an N95 mask for train transfers & any domestic flights, as you will be cheek to jowl with everybody else. Same on buses.
Good tips.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
I always book the seat I want to fly in assuning the plane is full or close to (aisle seat as close to the front as possible). When getting on I ask how heavy the loading is then if there are full rows move just before take off, or just after. Best of both worlds.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I always book the seat I want to fly in assuning the plane is full or close to (aisle seat as close to the front as possible). When getting on I ask how heavy the loading is then if there are full rows move just before take off, or just after. Best of both worlds.
You really should not move before take off unless you have permission from flight crew to move.

Personally, whilst it gives you a rougher ride, I like being as far back as possible. If there are empty rows and seats they are more likely to be at the back.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
You really should not move before take off unless you have permission from flight crew to move.

Personally, whilst it gives you a rougher ride, I like being as far back as possible. If there are empty rows and seats they are more likely to be at the back.
Thanks for the lesson .... I always sit as far forward as I can that way you can deplane ASAP and be through immigration etc before the masses. I walk really quickly through the airport too. Can save you up to an hour on full flights which means earlier NEX/Shink/Hotel. If I have snuck back to get a full row I'll be back in my seat towards the front before landing ;)

IAnother thing to consider is you are more likely to be disturbed up the back or anywhere near a toilet, especially by those exhubirant few that have had a beer or 3 ;) Once upon that was me but now I dont drink when Im flying except maybe a wine with dinner, most flights anyway lol.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
My point was that RIGHT NOW, aircraft are mostly empty....... as you can see by my screen captures of the occupied seats, with only 16 out of 112 seats I've shown are occupied.
In the whole aircraft, there's only 43 passengers currently, out of a total of 266 seats.... and the flight is only 5 weeks away.

JayJee

Out of the frying pan into the fire
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
I was going to book ANA. Glad I didn't. Hopefully that will push more people across to JAL and we might have a chance. Fingers crossed!

No flights on JAL either. Japan is a bust for us.

Reactions: Froff Life
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

JayJee

Out of the frying pan into the fire
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
My point was that RIGHT NOW, aircraft are mostly empty....... as you can see by my screen captures of the occupied seats, with only 16 out of 112 seats I've shown are occupied.
In the whole aircraft, there's only 43 passengers currently, out of a total of 266 seats.... and the flight is only 5 weeks away.

I did the sleeping across four seats thing years ago on a Dubai - Sydney leg. It’s not actually that comfortable.

Better with an exit row seat if you have to fly in the back

Reactions: dr80

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I did the sleeping across four seats thing years ago on a Dubai - Sydney leg. It’s not actually that comfortable.

Better with an exit row seat if you have to fly in the back
Depends on the seat, and how the armrests fold back. Seats in the old days were crappy, the Delta seats are fine.

Last edited:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Updated rules for those who can currently enter Japan.

Japan Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) have announced an updated rule for the quarantine of people arriving from abroad due to COVID-19 situation.

The major updates are as follows:​
  • USA (all states), Finland, France, and Netherland are now excluded from 3-day mandatory quarantine
  • All countries listed below are subject to 3-day mandatory quarantine at the designated hotel:
    Afghanistan, Argentina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Georgia, Greece, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Russia(Target areas only※), Seychelles, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zambia,
  • No countries will need 6 or 10 day of mandatory hotel quarantine
The above measures will apply from September 20th at 00:00.​

This means that when I next return from the US to Japan in December, I will not have to do 3-day mandatory quarantine in a hotel shoe box, because now all US states are exempt (Texas was on a list of 3-day mandatory hotel quarantine).

And the 14 day home isolation still applies.

Mind you, I still can't figure out how all US states are off the list, considering that Texas is recording 18-20,000 new cases a day, and 350+ deaths a day, while Denmark is only recording 300+ cases.

Last edited:

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
We've given up (wife's desire for a beach trip > my need for a Japan/Canada trip) and booked flights to Samoa in the April school hols. All on points which mitigates the cancellation risk somewhat. Flight 200k points in total for 5 of us +$800. Pretty good deal.

Samoa still says closed to tourists but hopefully will change in 7 mths. Will welcome any advice on places around Apia pls :thumbs:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Japan Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) have announced an updated rule for the quarantine of people arriving from abroad due to COVID-19 situation.

• USA (all states), Finland, France, and Netherland are now excluded from 3-day mandatory quarantine

• All countries listed below are subject to 3-day mandatory quarantine at the designated hotel:
    Afghanistan, Argentina, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Georgia, Greece, India, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Portugal, Russia(Target areas only※), Seychelles, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Zambia,

This means that when I next return from the US to Japan in December, I will not have to do 3-day mandatory quarantine in a hotel shoe box, because now all US states are exempt (Texas was on a list of 3-day mandatory hotel quarantine).

Mind you, I still can't figure out how all US states are off the list, considering that Texas is recording 18-20,000 new cases a day, and 350+ deaths a day, while Denmark is only recording 300+ cases.

Is Aus/NZ not on that list because we have closed borders - therefore if you won’t let us in, we won’t let you in?

To clarify:

I've updated it to make it clearer.

Japan Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) have announced an updated rule for the quarantine of people arriving from abroad due to COVID-19 situation.​

Main points. For those allowed to enter Japan, the following applies:
- All those allowed to enter Japan must serve 14 days isolation, either in a QH or at home.("home" could be a designated home that is not your own.... you specify this on arrival)
- All arrivals must have a COVID test 72 hours before flight departure from abroad.
- Anybody who had visited a "high risk" country in the last 14 days must serve the first 3 days isolation in a QH. USA (all states), Finland, France, and Netherlands have been removed from the list.
- Australia & NZ are not on the list because they are not "high risk"
- These Japanese rules have no dependence on rules in Australia & NZ

## Only applicable to those who CAN currently enter Japan.

More info:

"Home" could be a designated home that is not your own.... you specify this on arrival​

According to the "Pledge" I have to sign, For 14 days after entering Japan:
"(1) I will stay at the location of my home or the accommodation listed in Pledge Item 2."​
And
"(2) I will not have direct contact with anyone I do not live with."​
And
"(3) I will not use public transportation (trains, buses, cabs/taxis, domestic flights, etc)"​

Theoretically, it looks like you can be picked up at the airport, driven to a snow resort and dropped off at the "the accommodation listed in Pledge Item 2". If this is an apartment/private accommodation, it might be ok.
Also it may also be possible to ski/snowboard if you do not have "direct contact with anyone I do not live with". i.e. No sharing of chairs/gondolas

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
To clarify:

## Only applicable to those who CAN currently enter Japan.

More info:

"Home" could be a designated home that is not your own.... you specify this on arrival​

According to the "Pledge" I have to sign, For 14 days after entering Japan:
"(1) I will stay at the location of my home or the accommodation listed in Pledge Item 2."​
And
"(2) I will not have direct contact with anyone I do not live with."​
And
"(3) I will not use public transportation (trains, buses, cabs/taxis, domestic flights, etc)"​

Theoretically, it looks like you can be picked up at the airport, driven to a snow resort and dropped off at the "the accommodation listed in Pledge Item 2". If this is an apartment/private accommodation, it might be ok.
Also it may also be possible to ski/snowboard if you do not have "direct contact with anyone I do not live with". i.e. No sharing of chairs/gondolas
So this is good yeah, slowly moving in the right direction and I assume it’s looking good for Australians to visit hopefully we will be under a similar arrangement to the USA, our vaccination % should be as good if not better than the current US position

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Well its starting to move in a positive direction, 4-5 months from now a lot can change, well heres hoping because as the restrictions stand atm, I cant see a ski trip possible. How would you get there? Pvt transfer? cost prohibitive well for me anyway.
If we could get bus direct both ways to say Shiga would be safer than the Shink as far as risk of exposure goes.

Chux-sw

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 7, 2018
Where's My Jumper
I always sit as far forward as I can that way you can deplane ASAP and be through immigration etc before the masses.
This is generally my plan especially when alone, however my partner always insists on going to the loo (for what seems like an eternity) just before immigration.
I'm standing in the concourse, watching the queues growing knowing you are in for long wait when all the families and the elderly have passed.
Those were the days!

Reactions: dr80 and Lucky Pete

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
Received an email yesterday from Qantas with the heading ‘Flight change to Melb - Haneda Jan flight’ thought that was the end of the trip, turns out its just been delayed by 15mins, still on track for a POW fix
you won’t be allowed into the country without a valid visa.Do you have a valid visa??
or are you guessing restrictions will be lifted by the time you plan to travel

Reactions: Hyst

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
you won’t be allowed into the country without a valid visa.Do you have a valid visa??
or are you guessing restrictions will be lifted by the time you plan to travel

The "valid visa" is a resident's visa. The "Visa exemption measures for Australian passport holders have been paused", along with 61 of the 68 countries on the list. 7 countries seem to have had their "Visa exemption" reinstated.
At some stage, Australia's "Visa exemption" will also be reinstated

Reactions: snowgum

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com

Yes, I do not understand either. But will anyway not be in Japan this winter. :cry:

But does anybody really understand Japanese bureaucratic logic? :confused:

• Haha
Reactions: skichanger

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Reactions: Annabuzzy and LMB

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Now there you are just to optimistic! :D Quite a number of countries can tell a different story.
Ha ha. Others criticise me for being negative about Japan.

The countries letting Japanese tourists in that are not being given reciprocal entry rights may have high Covid cases.

None of it makes any sense to me. I just keep hoping I can get there before winter. There are some things I need to attend to where it would be much better if I could do it before winter.

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
The "valid visa" is a resident's visa. The "Visa exemption measures for Australian passport holders have been paused", along with 61 of the 68 countries on the list. 7 countries seem to have had their "Visa exemption" reinstated.
At some stage, Australia's "Visa exemption" will also be reinstated
The fact remains that for the foreseeable future quarantine and visa free entry into Japan will be restricted .if you have any reputable information to contradict this i will happy to hear it . I was just quoting from the Japanese government .

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
The fact remains that for the foreseeable future quarantine and visa free entry into Japan will be restricted .if you have any reputable information to contradict this i will happy to hear it . I was just quoting from the Japanese government .

Japan is a bit different on such information, but you have to look at the political situation as well, first chairman voting for LDP and after that general electiong.

I do not think there will be new info before that has passed.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
They either have or are talking about opening things up a bit. In certain circumstances quarantine is being reduced to 10 days, no longer having to do 3 days in a hotel and those with visas being allowed in from more countries. Students are being told they may be allowed in soon as well. We need them to broaden the range of reasons they will issue visas and add Aus to the countries with 90 day visa exempt status. But who knows when this will happen.

Number of cases in Tokyo is coming down. Not sure about everywhere else. And like Aus, there are areas that have had almost no cases. e.g. From what I know, and I would have to check to say it definitively, the only cases at Madarao were visitors from Tokyo who learnt they had it after they returned home and advised they accommodation of this. Note, no official advice of this but the accommodation got tested and chose to close for 2 weeks. So not an actual case there.

And we need the Aus govt to let us leave. Gladys is really pushing for eased restrictions once more than 80% of the adult population is vaccinated. NSW has born the brunt of returning expats, yeah yeah I already hear everyone screaming at this comment but go look at the numbers, and I think she is looking at opening up things as much as she can as soon as she can. If she lets some Japanese in, even just business people, it will move us closer to being able to travel to Japan as their block on us is political rather than rational.

But who knows what and when will happen next with ever changing goal posts.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
They either have or are talking about opening things up a bit. In certain circumstances quarantine is being reduced to 10 days, no longer having to do 3 days in a hotel and those with visas being allowed in from more countries. Students are being told they may be allowed in soon as well. We need them to broaden the range of reasons they will issue visas and add Aus to the countries with 90 day visa exempt status. But who knows when this will happen.

Number of cases in Tokyo is coming down. Not sure about everywhere else. And like Aus, there are areas that have had almost no cases. e.g. From what I know, and I would have to check to say it definitively, the only cases at Madarao were visitors from Tokyo who learnt they had it after they returned home and advised they accommodation of this. Note, no official advice of this but the accommodation got tested and chose to close for 2 weeks. So not an actual case there.

And we need the Aus govt to let us leave. Gladys is really pushing for eased restrictions once more than 80% of the adult population is vaccinated. NSW has born the brunt of returning expats, yeah yeah I already hear everyone screaming at this comment but go look at the numbers, and I think she is looking at opening up things as much as she can as soon as she can. If she lets some Japanese in, even just business people, it will move us closer to being able to travel to Japan as their block on us is political rather than rational.

But who knows what and when will happen next with ever changing goal posts.
Numbers all across Japan have come down from +25,000/day in mid August, down to +5000/day. On a proportional population basis, that's now less than Australia. Tokyo is down to less than +900/day.

According to my previous post, US is NOT blocked from entering Japan.

This means that 61 countries are currently suspended from "Visa Exemption (short stay)", but 7 countries are NOT suspended:​
Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.​

Previously, Australians could enter Japan on the "Visa Exemption (short stay)", as either tourists or business for 3 months..

I think I mentioned it previously, but for those countries that have visa exemption/waivers for Japan (including Australia), they are all currently suspended, except for a few countries.

Japan has taken measures concerning the Visa Exemption Arrangements with 68 countries and regions as the chart below. But the arrangements have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions (Note 9), as a border control measures against novel coronavirus (COVID-19).​
(Note 9) Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.​

This means that 61 countries are currently suspended from "Visa Exemption (short stay)", but 7 countries are NOT suspended:
Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.

Foreign nationals (including those who are originally from visa exemption countries/regions) who have stayed in any of countries/regions subject to denial of permission to enter Japan within 14 days prior to the application for landing are denied to enter Japan
(except for those who are resident in Japan)

It's hard to tell with Japan, but this could also mean something else. If you are from Canada, it looks like you can now enter Japan unless you've been to other suspended countries. However, it could ALSO mean that if you are from Australia, and you've spent 14 days in Canada, you may possibly be allowed into Japan, because you didn't spend 14 days in Australia before that!!!!!

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html

Reactions: Annabuzzy

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Numbers all across Japan have come down from +25,000/day in mid August, down to +5000/day. On a proportional population basis, that's now less than Australia. Tokyo is down to less than +900/day.

According to my previous post, US is NOT blocked from entering Japan.

This means that 61 countries are currently suspended from "Visa Exemption (short stay)", but 7 countries are NOT suspended:​
Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.​
Do you have figures to hand about vaccination rates in Japan?

Was USA and Canada ever closed to "Visa Exemption (short stay)"? If not, it shows the restrictions are political.

Hmm perhaps we need to get the Japanese ski resorts to start lobbying the Japanese government to let Aus snow enthusiasts back in. If they are not allowed in to Japan they will got to Nth America and Europe setting the Japanese snow related tourist industry back years. Some places have survived on the basis of the Aussie winter visits. Might have to get @Ramenman to dig out some figures to use for this.

Reactions: Kash

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Do you have figures to hand about vaccination rates in Japan?

Was USA and Canada ever closed to "Visa Exemption (short stay)"? If not, it shows the restrictions are political.

Hmm perhaps we need to get the Japanese ski resorts to start lobbying the Japanese government to let Aus snow enthusiasts back in. If they are not allowed in to Japan they will got to Nth America and Europe setting the Japanese snow related tourist industry back years. Some places have survived on the basis of the Aussie winter visits. Might have to get @Ramenman to dig out some figures to use for this.
Vaccination rate in Japan 53.2% vs Australia 37.6%. (2 doses)

Reactions: Annabuzzy and Hyst

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Speaking of the vaccination rate, I remember local media were reporting 60% people in Japan have been vaccinated. I'm "somewhere" between 25 and 35 years old, and a bit too young to be vaccinated yet in my city (most over 40 years old have been vaccinated in my city). I'm getting vaccinated at the end of this month (the second is early October).

Compared to last summer, this summer was a lot closer to average summer here in Japan, IMO. (Almost) All amusement & theme parks are open, a lot of big music summer festivals were held, I attended two big weddings, and in beaches of Ibaraki Prefecture I saw quite many people travelling from inland prefectures (as I wrote in "Fishing in Japan thread", I go fishing quite often this summer and I saw many people from other prefectures such as Tochigi and Gunma Pref).

That said, I'd say international travel will be a bit different story. I think it won't come back to "normal" any time soon. At first, nearly 90% people get vaccinated + several months, then authorities will judge what they can do (another Go To Travel Campaign or something like that) next summer, not coming winter.

I'm happy to see you guys skiing in Japan this coming winter;)(not sure if people from Australia can fly to Japan by that time, though)

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
skichanger said:

I think she is looking at opening up things as much as she can as soon as she can. If she lets some Japanese in, even just business people, it will move us closer to being able to travel to Japan as their block on us is political rather than rational.........

@Nozawaman
BUT Gladys has no power whatsoever to allow or facillitate this ?
Probably not but you wouldn't think so from some of the recent press conference talk.
It appears to me that at the moment the airlines control who comes and goes from Aus.
And Federal Govt is responsible for quarantine but the state govs are doing this.
And as for state border restrictions etc. Who knows?
At the moment nothing is as per usual and most of what is happening is not rational.

Edit: comment from someone else tonight was, since Scotty is PM for NSW Gladys will probably be allowed to do what she wants. They have become even more cynical than usual in my household.

Last edited:

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
If they are not allowed in to Japan they will got to Nth America and Europe setting the Japanese snow related tourist industry back years.
Fairly good point.
Even us. Apartment owners - I’m keen to get back there to do my NZ exams. But if it’s not on, then we will be looking to head to Canada, USA or Europe.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Fairly good point.
Even us. Apartment owners - I’m keen to get back there to do my NZ exams. But if it’s not on, then we will be looking to head to Canada, USA or Europe.
Actually you now have me wondering how many of the well established Aus based businesses will be able to operate in Niseko etc. Almost everyone I know is back in Aus. Some definitely won't be operating in Japan next season. Some maybes.

@Telemark Phat do you know if APSI are looking at doing any training in Japan if people can get there? Level 4s maybe? ;)

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Actually you now have me wondering how many of the well established Aus based businesses will be able to operate in Niseko etc. Almost everyone I know is back in Aus. Some definitely won't be operating in Japan next season. Some maybes.

@Telemark Phat do you know if APSI are looking at doing any training in Japan if people can get there? Level 4s maybe? ;)
I'm having arguments with them at the moment. The APSI is a swear word in my house right now.

Now that anyone, irregrdless of age with an Aussie, Canadian, English, American or German qualification can get a working visa to teach in Japan the ski schools are no longer employig inexperienced instructors. That prety much eliminates the Level 1 income and the bulk of the Level 2 income (from the inexperienced hires) the APSI relied on to make a profit from Japanese operaions as the Level 1 is the high margin product wih exams breaking even at best.

I haven't been in the hot seat for a year, so I have no idea if that hurdle will destroy the Japan model or not. (flying over examiners was a large cost). It will depend on if Japan opens up enough to SE Asia for the International ski schools to hire enough foreign instructors to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: skifree and M_G

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I'm having arguments with them at the moment. The APSI is a swear word in my house right now.

Now that anyone, irregrdless of age with an Aussie, Canadian, English, American or German qualification can get a working visa to teach in Japan the ski schools are no longer employig inexperienced instructors. That prety much eliminates the Level 1 income and the bulk of the Level 2 income (from the inexperienced hires) the APSI relied on to make a profit from Japanese operaions as the Level 1 is the high margin product wih exams breaking even at best.

I haven't been in the hot seat for a year, so I have no idea if that hurdle will destroy the Japan model or not. (flying over examiners was a large cost). It will depend on if Japan opens up enough to SE Asia for the International ski schools to hire enough foreign instructors to make it worthwhile.
Swear word! Lol.

Hmm interesting. I just out that out there not expecting it to be a real thing. So what about the Level 4 examiners already based in Japan? I know one so there must be others.

And I am wondering whaf effect the visa thing will have. Will European and Nth American instructors come to Japan? Things to ponder.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Swear word! Lol.

Hmm interesting. I just out that out there not expecting it to be a real thing. So what about the Level 4 examiners already based in Japan? I know one so there must be others.

And I am wondering whaf effect the visa thing will have. Will European and Nth American instructors come to Japan? Things to ponder.
The APSI requires the discipline Technical Drector and two Technical Committee members on the examination panel. In 2020 a minium one person needs to be flown to Jpan for the SB exms and three for the Apine Exams in Niseko, two for the exams in Myoko.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Previously, Australians could enter Japan on the "Visa Exemption (short stay)", as either tourists or business for 3 months..

I think I mentioned it previously, but for those countries that have visa exemption/waivers for Japan (including Australia), they are all currently suspended, except for a few countries.

Japan has taken measures concerning the Visa Exemption Arrangements with 68 countries and regions as the chart below. But the arrangements have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions (Note 9), as a border control measures against novel coronavirus (COVID-19).​
(Note 9) Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.​

This means that 61 countries are currently suspended from "Visa Exemption (short stay)", but 7 countries are NOT suspended:
Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.

Foreign nationals (including those who are originally from visa exemption countries/regions) who have stayed in any of countries/regions subject to denial of permission to enter Japan within 14 days prior to the application for landing are denied to enter Japan
(except for those who are resident in Japan)

It's hard to tell with Japan, but this could also mean something else. If you are from Canada, it looks like you can now enter Japan unless you've been to other suspended countries. However, it could ALSO mean that if you are from Australia, and you've spent 14 days in Canada, you may possibly be allowed into Japan, because you didn't spend 14 days in Australia before that!!!!!

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html
Sooo I should plan to travel via North Macedonia, seems simple enough.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass