Japan 2022 snow season Planning

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
The APSI requires the discipline Technical Drector and two Technical Committee members on the examination panel. In 2020 a minium one person needs to be flown to Jpan for the SB exms and three for the Apine Exams in Niseko, two for the exams in Myoko.
Lot of people missed out on doing exams that they’d been booked on this season. But it’s anyone’s guess as to whether a NH season is viable. 2022 might be the next bet. I can’t imagine how hard it must be as an organisation to try to plan anything! It’s hard enough as an individual with zero responsibilities!

I seem fated to miss exams over and over LOL!!
But fortunately I am happy to swing either way SBINZ/APSI - whatever opportunity presents. Or there is next year!

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
The APSI requires the discipline Technical Drector and two Technical Committee members on the examination panel. In 2020 a minium one person needs to be flown to Jpan for the SB exms and three for the Apine Exams in Niseko, two for the exams in Myoko.
Well clearly the Alpine exams should be held in Myoko.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Previously, Australians could enter Japan on the "Visa Exemption (short stay)", as either tourists or business for 3 months..

I think I mentioned it previously, but for those countries that have visa exemption/waivers for Japan (including Australia), they are all currently suspended, except for a few countries.

Japan has taken measures concerning the Visa Exemption Arrangements with 68 countries and regions as the chart below. But the arrangements have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions (Note 9), as a border control measures against novel coronavirus (COVID-19).​
(Note 9) Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.​

This means that 61 countries are currently suspended from "Visa Exemption (short stay)", but 7 countries are NOT suspended:
Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.

Foreign nationals (including those who are originally from visa exemption countries/regions) who have stayed in any of countries/regions subject to denial of permission to enter Japan within 14 days prior to the application for landing are denied to enter Japan
(except for those who are resident in Japan)

It's hard to tell with Japan, but this could also mean something else. If you are from Canada, it looks like you can now enter Japan unless you've been to other suspended countries. However, it could ALSO mean that if you are from Australia, and you've spent 14 days in Canada, you may possibly be allowed into Japan, because you didn't spend 14 days in Australia before that!!!!!

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/short/novisa.html

Sooo I should plan to travel via North Macedonia, seems simple enough.
14 days in Hawaii should do the trick.

Reactions: skifree

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Not enough candidates there. It might be moot anyway. Apparently Japan isn't accepting somsored visas due to Covid anyway. NA nd Europea resorts have been hiring interntionals. Id say most who want to work overseas have found work elsewhere.
Wow.
If they do open they could be in for a tough season supply/demand wise.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Not enough candidates there. It might be moot anyway. Apparently Japan isn't accepting somsored visas due to Covid anyway. NA nd Europea resorts have been hiring interntionals. Id say most who want to work overseas have found work elsewhere.
Again not actually a serious comment. But maybe some training can happen.

I do seriously worry about the effect of another slow season on lodge owners, small businesses and some of the more remote Honshu resorts.

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
I think Japan will have another tough session where they really on overseas skiers.
The ones who will do it tough are the ones who have multiple properties that rely on western business , and the ones that have financed a shit load into Niseko for their Aspen priced apartments . From what I saw last season it was a rewind of 10 +years , local businesses were busy on the weekend and holidays then cruising mid week .
Westerners will be back stronger than ever as soon as travel restrictions ease .

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Oh dear. So if you want to get into Japan just become a pop star. Just sharing rather than criticizing Japan as Aus has been doing much the same
While that 3.5 days QH stay is a problematic & unfair exception, some of the other info is not very accurate.

Zedd mentioned that he will stay in the hotel suite for three and a half days.​
However, the Twitter post seemed to have struck a chord with some Japanese citizens and even returning permanent residents who have been trying to enter Japan, but with stricter quarantine rules imposed upon them.​
For every returning Japanese citizen or permanent resident, a quarantine period of fourteen days and a 24/7 monitoring via tracking device installed on their mobile phones will be required.​

1. Unless coming from in from a "high risk" country, Japanese citizens or permanent residents DO NOT have to spend 3.5 days in a Quarantine Hotel. (and definitely NOT 14 days.... 3 days from a "high risk" country, plus 11 days at home)

2. "Quarantine period of fourteen days". It's at HOME and I would hardly call it "quarantine". You have to "isolate" for 14 days.... but allowed to go to the supermarket, bank (if required), walking or other exercise.

3. "A 24/7 monitoring via tracking device installed on their mobile phones will be required." That's true, but it's an App not a "device". It will track where you go, but it only asks for a response to the App 3 times a day, including one automated video call to see your location (between the hours of 9.30am - 1pm in my case). The "I'm here" response on the App is twice a day between 8am & 5pm, on the hour.
"24/7" doesn't mean much because you are not doing too much between, say 8pm to 8am anyway.... it's basically to see if you've traveled elsewhere and how far.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Apparently Japan isn't accepting somsored visas due to Covid anyway.
I got clrificaion from one of the ski school directors today. Japan is approving visas, but not granting them due to COVID. Apparenly the vibe from the Jaanese beuacracy is no visas before the election and unlikley to be any in the couple of months afterwards. So international saff are unlikeley before January.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Scomo confirmed international travel will open by Christmas at the latest:

"People will be able to freely travel outside of Australia, with no restrictions or no limitation … Obviously, it will be dependent on the requirements that are put in place of the countries that they are travelling with"

That's the first piece of the puzzle! :emoji_ballot_box_with_check:

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast

"People will be able to freely travel outside of Australia, with no restrictions or no limitation … Obviously, it will be dependent on the requirements that are put in place of the countries that they are travelling with"

Sounds great.
I will believe it when it happens
Im normally the optimist, but ive been beaten down over the last 12months... :headbang:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Why are Flight Centre shares pushing higher recently?

There are a few reasons as to why the Flight Centre share price has been climbing in recent times.
The company released its full-year results in late August, highlighting month-on-month sales revenue growth despite lockdowns and heavy restrictions. In particular, the corporate sector in the United States gained momentum as trading conditions generally improved.

The vaccination rollouts in the United States and Europe are considered to be well advanced, with both economies reopening.

Back in Australia, Qantas Airways Ltd (ASX: QAN) announced that it’s taking bookings for flights to several popular destinations from 18 December. The forecast for Australia and New Zealand markets is that they will have a positive impact early next calendar year.

What’s next?

Flight Centre projects that the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom are poised for strong returns in FY22. Coupled with its leaner and more efficient cost-base model, the company expects this to provide solid profits over the long term.

Flight Centre also revealed its expansion plans for Japan via a joint venture with NSF Engagement Corporation. The online travel agent’s leading FCM travel management business will enter the fourth-largest corporate travel market from January 2022.

Management stated it intends to win new local, regional and multi-national accounts, while also enhancing existing services in Japan.

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane

It's all about which states will limit incoming travellers or enforce hotel quarantine. Obviously there should be no limitations for fully vaxxed travellers who had a negative Covid test.

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
It's all about which states will limit incoming travellers or enforce hotel quarantine. Obviously there should be no limitations for fully vaxxed travellers who had a negative Covid test.
Are you saying states that have already road-mapped opening up to travel like Vic and NSW are more likely to allow international travellers than more 'conservative' states like WA?

• Haha
Reactions: Annabuzzy

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Are you saying states that have already road-mapped opening up to travel like Vic and NSW are more likely to allow international travellers than more 'conservative' states like WA?
That's my assumption. Looks like there would need to be a significant curve ball to stop international travel from NSW from late Dec without HQ.

Meanwhile Anna in QLD continues to indulge the rednecks with strawman arguments in response questions about intl travel at Christmas with "Where are you going to go? India" An insult to everyone's intelligence and......India

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
Steve Miles doubling down on the QLD needs to stay under the doona at Christmas time narrative. When questioned on this why would you not answer that "it depends on the vaccination levels, please get vaccinated to allow freedom of movement between borders, state and international". He and Anna are effectively seeding to people that getting vaccinated changes nothing for travel across borders.

Last edited:

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I got clrificaion from one of the ski school directors today. Japan is approving visas, but not granting them due to COVID. Apparenly the vibe from the Jaanese beuacracy is no visas before the election and unlikley to be any in the couple of months afterwards. So international saff are unlikeley before January.
If prefer to do a Japan season (can manage my exposure well when you know an area intimately), but if they’re not opening for us, I’ll be looking to go somewhere that will.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
My prediction is Japan wont open to tourism until the spring for Sakura tourism, particularly if 80% is a precondition for the gates to open. More than happy to be wrong.
I hope you‘re wrong. I think the airlines are planning on something starting at the back end of the year (not just Qantas, but at least ANA and JAL as well).

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
A lot of discussions going on in the media today with talk of the 42,000 residents stranded overseas being allowed back into the country, the issue at the moment is numbers are capped at a weekly amount based on the amount of Hotel Quarantine beds available for the now mandatory 14 days isolation. NSW commencing a home quarantine program along the same guidelines as the SA Home quarantine which is hoped will allow greater numbers. The Australian Vaccination certificate & QR app is said to have been sent to all embassies in destinations that we are expecting to travel to for compatible testing with the relevant countries own apps. Im confident enough that we will be travelling that I'm ordering new googles today..........

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
My prediction is Japan wont open to tourism until the spring for Sakura tourism, particularly if 80% is a precondition for the gates to open. More than happy to be wrong.
looking at the figures just this morning, Japan is way ahead of us with their double vac rate. Yet NSW are now saying that they expect to reach the 70% double vac figure a week earlier on 16 Oct

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
A lot of discussions going on in the media today with talk of the 42,000 residents stranded overseas being allowed back into the country, the issue at the moment is numbers are capped at a weekly amount based on the amount of Hotel Quarantine beds available for the now mandatory 14 days isolation. NSW commencing a home quarantine program along the same guidelines as the SA Home quarantine which is hoped will allow greater numbers. The Australian Vaccination certificate & QR app is said to have been sent to all embassies in destinations that we are expecting to travel to for compatible testing with the relevant countries own apps. Im confident enough that we will be travelling that I'm ordering new googles today..........
There is no reason why home quarantine for returnees isn’t an option. It is riskier in states with NO Covid, but still pretty low risk.

We had, what, one case of Covid in hotel quarantine in NSW (who is taking the most people) yesterday compared to 1000 odd in the community.

Just bring them home.

There are risks of people doing the wrong thing which will have a much greater negative impact in places that are currently Covid free but that can happen with hotel Q as well as home Q.
WA had 2 situations this week - one where someone directed to hotel quarantine never turned up to the hotel, and another who breached home quarantine- both interstate arrivals. Neither tested positive.

We need to start taking some reasonable risks.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
It hasn’t been realistic for me to return Australia, with the possibility of getting stuck there. Next month it will be two years…
I haven’t seen any info on the Australian Embassy in Tokyo, regarding vaccination passport or app.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Returning WA residents?
Not 100% sure.
I didn’t actually read up on them, PB told me about them. One of them was someone who apparently said on their G2G application that they wanted to go to the footy GF, WAPOL called them and said that wouldn’t be possible. They still came. And WAPOL again told them that wouldn’t be possible. Then they absconded apparently. So I expect NOT a returning WA resident.

There was also one who jumped on a plane from Sydney on Tuesday with no G2G pass, no negative test, and tested positive on arrival. Unreal!

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I was talking to DH about the reducing number of cases in Tokyo and Japan yesterday. He commented that Japan had less new cases than Aus so today I looked it up:
Japan
23rd 3425
22nd 1187
21st 2461

Aus
23rd 1807
22nd 1662
21st 1609

LOL we just happened to be talking about it on the one recent day where cases in Japan was lower than in Aus.

gaz35

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 9, 2013

Why are Flight Centre shares pushing higher recently?

There are a few reasons as to why the Flight Centre share price has been climbing in recent times.
The company released its full-year results in late August, highlighting month-on-month sales revenue growth despite lockdowns and heavy restrictions. In particular, the corporate sector in the United States gained momentum as trading conditions generally improved.

The vaccination rollouts in the United States and Europe are considered to be well advanced, with both economies reopening.

Back in Australia, Qantas Airways Ltd (ASX: QAN) announced that it’s taking bookings for flights to several popular destinations from 18 December. The forecast for Australia and New Zealand markets is that they will have a positive impact early next calendar year.

What’s next?

Flight Centre projects that the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom are poised for strong returns in FY22. Coupled with its leaner and more efficient cost-base model, the company expects this to provide solid profits over the long term.

Flight Centre also revealed its expansion plans for Japan via a joint venture with NSF Engagement Corporation. The online travel agent’s leading FCM travel management business will enter the fourth-largest corporate travel market from January 2022.

Management stated it intends to win new local, regional and multi-national accounts, while also enhancing existing services in Japan.
they had also fallen a long way. Trust me I know from a Jan 2020 investment

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
It hasn’t been realistic for me to return Australia, with the possibility of getting stuck there. Next month it will be two years…
I haven’t seen any info on the Australian Embassy in Tokyo, regarding vaccination passport or app.

Reactions: Sandy

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Not 100% sure.
I didn’t actually read up on them, PB told me about them. One of them was someone who apparently said on their G2G application that they wanted to go to the footy GF, WAPOL called them and said that wouldn’t be possible. They still came. And WAPOL again told them that wouldn’t be possible. Then they absconded apparently. So I expect NOT a returning WA resident.

There was also one who jumped on a plane from Sydney on Tuesday with no G2G pass, no negative test, and tested positive on arrival. Unreal!
I just want to scream at these people! So frigging self centered.

Edit: Actually when you read about the woman who has been denied permission to return to WA where she lives, 3 times, I am left wondering what she is meant to do if she has no where to stay in Sydney. And what if she did not have covid when she first applied? So she could have caught because she was denied the opportunity to return home. And with the AFL grand final ..... we know where the priorities lie.

And as for what ever the G2G pass is even when you look it up there is no real information. It says look in twitter or facebook. No wonder people rely on facebook for information. :headbang:

Rant over.

Reactions: sli1

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
Is your daughter still in Aus? If so you must be missing her as well.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Is your daughter still in Aus? If so you must be missing her as well.
Yep.... I last saw her in Hakuba in Jan 2020

Reactions: TACKIE

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
I was talking to DH about the reducing number of cases in Tokyo and Japan yesterday. He commented that Japan had less new cases than Aus so today I looked it up:
Japan
23rd 3425
22nd 1187
21st 2461

Aus
23rd 1807
22nd 1662
21st 1609

LOL we just happened to be talking about it on the one recent day where cases in Japan was lower than in Aus.
Well if we talk about Tokyo vs NSW (because Japan has 5x the population of Australia) ;)

Tokyo City: Population = 13.96 million
22nd 537
21st 253
20th 302

NSW: Population = 8.17 million
22nd 1042
21st 1021
20th 1003

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
If prefer to do a Japan season (can manage my exposure well when you know an area intimately), but if they’re not opening for us, I’ll be looking to go somewhere that will.
Jan. 2023 looks possible for me. If not Japan then Canada, or somewhere in Europe. I must ski a lot and make up for at least two lost Victorian ski seasons. My new U.K. passport has been approved and is being sent to me now.

mannyk

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 13, 2014
Gold coast
Well if we talk about Tokyo vs NSW (because Japan has 5x the population of Australia) ;)

22nd 537
21st 253
20th 302

22nd 1042
21st 1021
20th 1003
Also from a basic point of view Tokyo's population are much much condensed day to day than NSW. So not doing to bad at all..

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
That's my assumption. Looks like there would need to be a significant curve ball to stop international travel from NSW from late Dec without HQ.

Meanwhile Anna in QLD continues to indulge the rednecks with strawman arguments in response questions about intl travel at Christmas with "Where are you going to go? India" An insult to everyone's intelligence and......India
I am keen to get trip No. 8 to India happening!

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Japan
23rd 3425
22nd 1187
21st 2461

Aus
23rd 1807
22nd 1662
21st 1609

Can you make that in % og the population?

Ok, here it comes - looks better:

New.PNG

Reactions: Sandy and Annabuzzy

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018

22nd 537
21st 253
20th 302

22nd 1042
21st 1021
20th 1003
I've read that they are only doing around 2000 tests a day in Tokyo. I wonder what their cases would be like if they were doing 150k per day like NSW.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Its really poor science comparing infection rates between the two countries. From what Im seeing and hearing testing in Australia is relatively easy to access with many thousands of tests per day and thus a better measure of infection rates. Here in Japan, in our experiece, testing is pretty much restricted to those showing symptoms (or those paying for travel etc), and often people have to wait for testing until those symptoms escalate. That's been pretty much the strategy here from the start.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Its really poor science comparing infection rates between the two countries. From what Im seeing and hearing testing in Australia is relatively easy to access with many thousands of tests per day and thus a better measure of infection rates. Here in Japan, in our experiece, testing is pretty much restricted to those showing symptoms (or those paying for travel etc), and often people have to wait for testing until those symptoms escalate. That's been pretty much the strategy here from the start.
Those how know a little about Japan of course know that.

Numbers are newer absolute - have to know how they come around and what quality they have.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass