Japan 2022 snow season Planning

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Its really poor science comparing infection rates between the two countries. From what Im seeing and hearing testing in Australia is relatively easy to access with many thousands of tests per day and thus a better measure of infection rates. Here in Japan, in our experiece, testing is pretty much restricted to those showing symptoms (or those paying for travel etc), and often people have to wait for testing until those symptoms escalate. That's been pretty much the strategy here from the start.
Thanks for the lesson.....

My comment was not intended to be scientific. It was just an anecdotal comment about there being less new cases reported in Japan than Australia on the day we happened to look and not on the days either side. I found it amusing.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Its really poor science comparing infection rates between the two countries. From what Im seeing and hearing testing in Australia is relatively easy to access with many thousands of tests per day and thus a better measure of infection rates. Here in Japan, in our experiece, testing is pretty much restricted to those showing symptoms (or those paying for travel etc), and often people have to wait for testing until those symptoms escalate. That's been pretty much the strategy here from the start.
The comparison of infection rates between the two countries is not poor science if it's based on official data...... the poor science is debunking the comparison by citing "anecdotal evidence", because "anecdotal evidence" is not measurable, even if "anecdotal evidence" may be largely correct. Yes, the official case data in Japan has the caveat that it's targeted symptom & contact tracing testing, while Australian testing has been random sample & contact tracing testing.

Measured numbers:
e.g.
22nd September:
- NSW did 133,839 tests for 1021 positive results.
- Japan did 93675 tests for 3229 positive results.

Tokyo(city) did 8549 tests on the 22nd, not 2000.

Tests per million for Australia runs at about 7 times the rate of Japan (1.4 per million vs 0.2 per million)
You could argue that the number of tests in Australia (36,680,039) for 93,942 positive cases is actually overkill.

If there are doubts about case numbers, it's more useful to look at the number of deaths, as this gives a better indication of actual on the ground situation. Japan is currently running at around 5x the number of deaths compared to Australia, given the population, it's about the same rate.

This is the Japan 2022 travel thread. If you want to discuss this further, then do it in this thread: COVID-19 in Japan

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Nemps20

Early Days
Jul 27, 2021
Sydney
it doesn't matter as a Japanese national you can come and go as you like, that is the comparison

• Wow
Reactions: Hyst

Nemps20

Early Days
Jul 27, 2021
Sydney
it doesn't matter as a Japanese national you can come and go as you like, that is the comparison
I didn't mean to offend anyone :) , I was just trying to say, in Japan they can leave and enter the country whenever they like whilst in Gulag Australia, in certain states, we cannot go outside 5kms. it is quite frustrating

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Slowly but surely the plane is filling up for my 10 Jan flight SYD to HND still no where to land though

6D97D391-19BA-40D2-80EC-7598A9EC45D5.png

Reactions: skifree and M_G

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Heading in the right direction with vaxes here. Although qantas (east coast) are confident for mid Dec inline with the fed gov, I do get concerned that the states will kick up a fuss and try and push the 80% to probably an unattainable 90%. Japan are going to a 10 day home only quarantine next month. Everything is moving in the right direction.
In my opinion I would book some Feb dates. This will be the season of seasons to come to Japan. Leave the fam at home. Just make sure your flights can be moved to 2023 if the shite hits the fan again.

Vaccine Update:
· Status still as of Sept. 23: A total of 156.6 million shots have been given. Of the total resident population of 12 years and older, 85.8M people (76.6%) have had 1 shot and 70.7M (63.2%) had 2 shots. (On the total population of 126.4M, 67.9% have had 1 shot and 56% have had 2 shots. The increase in total shots dispensed since the last update as of Sept. 22 was 1.59M shots. Over 32.27M elderly (90.2%) of the 35.76M who are 65 years and older have received at least 1 shot and 31.76M (88.8%) have completed two. (With those 65 years and older among the 6.4M healthcare workers being counted in that group, and the rapid decline in the number of newly reported 1st shots (about 7K per day) and 2nd shots (about 11K per day), we are nearly 100% of those elderly who want to be, or for medical reasons can be, vaccinated.)
P.S. Good day on the course yesterday.
Golf.jpg

Froff Life

A Local
Ski Pass
Apr 2, 2014
Melbourne
Heading in the right direction with vaxes here. Although qantas (east coast) are confident for mid Dec inline with the fed gov, I do get concerned that the states will kick up a fuss and try and push the 80% to probably an unattainable 90%. Japan are going to a 10 day home only quarantine next month. Everything is moving in the right direction.
In my opinion I would book some Feb dates. This will be the season of seasons to come to Japan. Leave the fam at home. Just make sure your flights can be moved to 2023 if the shite hits the fan again.

Vaccine Update:
· Status still as of Sept. 23: A total of 156.6 million shots have been given. Of the total resident population of 12 years and older, 85.8M people (76.6%) have had 1 shot and 70.7M (63.2%) had 2 shots. (On the total population of 126.4M, 67.9% have had 1 shot and 56% have had 2 shots. The increase in total shots dispensed since the last update as of Sept. 22 was 1.59M shots. Over 32.27M elderly (90.2%) of the 35.76M who are 65 years and older have received at least 1 shot and 31.76M (88.8%) have completed two. (With those 65 years and older among the 6.4M healthcare workers being counted in that group, and the rapid decline in the number of newly reported 1st shots (about 7K per day) and 2nd shots (about 11K per day), we are nearly 100% of those elderly who want to be, or for medical reasons can be, vaccinated.)
P.S. Good day on the course yesterday.
Golf.jpg
Loving the optimism and positive outlook! My fingers are crossed for a Feb 22 Japan trip.

Reactions: TJ

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Loving the optimism and positive outlook! My fingers are crossed for a Feb 22 Japan trip.
"State of Emergency" will be lifted on 1st October in all remaining Prefectures (19 of 47). Doesn't mean much except for the words & maybe the mentality!!

Current measures require restaurants to close early and refrain from serving alcohol. People have been asked to avoid non-urgent outings and refrain from crossing prefectural borders.​

Reactions: skifree and TJ
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Japan Shortened Quarantine Period for Vaccinated Travelers to 10 Days​

Japan Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) have announced the details regarding shortened quarantine period from 14-days to 10-days for those entering Japan with a vaccination certificate.​
Some details are outlined as follows:​
  • Only vaccine certificates issued by the government or public officials from the listed countries are accepted.
  • Only those fully vaccinated (2 shots) with Pfizer, Moderna, or Astra Zeneca are accepted. Also, the 2nd shot must be taken 14 days or more before entering Japan.
  • Those wishing to end quarantine at Day 10 must take PCR or Antigen test individually and submit the negative result to the health authority (through the app). Confirmation for ending the quarantine will be provided.
List of accepted countries:
Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada (listed provinces*), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Gabon, Germany, Greece, Honduras, Hongkong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, Palau, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Samoa, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States (CDC vaccine card or listed states / cities*), Vietnam.​
*United States' accepted authorities (other than CDC vaccine card):
Louisiana, Maryland, New York City, New York State, Northern Mariana, Philadelphia City, Virginia, Washington DC, Washington State.​
*Canada's accepted authorities:
Alberta, British Columbia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Ontario, Quebec, Yukon.​
The measure above is effective October 1st 00:00 JST.​

The list currently DOES NOT include Australia or NZ.

Need to find out more about the procedure fro those who "must take PCR or Antigen test individually and submit the negative result to the health authority (through the app)"

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Some encouraging news out of Aus today too, particularly for those of us that want to return for a short visit to see family and friends. If nothing else the home quarantine saves $3000.

Reactions: Froff Life

argento

Addicted
Jul 30, 2012

Japan Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare (MHLW) have announced the details regarding shortened quarantine period from 14-days to 10-days for those entering Japan with a vaccination certificate.​
  • Only vaccine certificates issued by the government or public officials from the listed countries are accepted.
  • Only those fully vaccinated (2 shots) with Pfizer, Moderna, or Astra Zeneca are accepted. Also, the 2nd shot must be taken 14 days or more before entering Japan.
  • Those wishing to end quarantine at Day 10 must take PCR or Antigen test individually and submit the negative result to the health authority (through the app). Confirmation for ending the quarantine will be provided.
List of accepted countries:​
Andorra, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Bulgaria, Canada (listed provinces*), Croatia, Cyprus, Czech, Denmark, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Gabon, Germany, Greece, Honduras, Hongkong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kosovo, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Netherlands, Palau, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Samoa, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States (CDC vaccine card or listed states / cities*), Vietnam.​
*United States' accepted authorities (other than CDC vaccine card):​
Louisiana, Maryland, New York City, New York State, Northern Mariana, Philadelphia City, Virginia, Washington DC, Washington State.​
*Canada's accepted authorities:​

Need to find out more about the procedure fro those who "must take PCR or Antigen test individually and submit the negative result to the health authority (through the app)"
Thanks Sandy! As encouraging as that info is as a development, it really still is somewhat ill-suited for your 14 days holiday skier in Japan as 10 days of quarantine although better than 14 is still quite a bit of time (vis-a-vis a 14 day holiday) and some serious $$$.

even if Australia is not on the list, it is a welcome development. On a sidetone, you can see the full effects of the politics of pharmaceuticals in the list of accepted jabs. No Sputnik although I don't think it is any better (or worse) than the others.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
They’d need to drop it to no more than 3 days quarantine of any sort to make leisure travel viable
Technically, the instructions are "home or other specified location" & "no contact with unspecified people outside of your family".
e.g. If your family rides a chairlift together, it might be ok!!!! ;)

Reactions: Hyst and Annabuzzy

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
Still put in for 3 of my 5 weeks off in Feb just in case. Flight prices look promising am hopeful that the rules relax by then and can get over. Would happily sacrifice 10days quarantined split between the 2 flights but anything more becomes just not worth it.

Sort out f hoping when both countries really start to open and get a sniff of the tourist $$$ it’s just too much and they open hard.

I do realise it is mostly our side holding things up.

JayJee

A new hope
Ski Pass
Jul 4, 2011
I heard along the grapevine that Rhythm Sports Japan are taking no stock deliveries as they aren’t expecting a tourist season.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Doesn't mean that much:
"State of Emergency" will be lifted on 1st October in all remaining Prefectures (19 of 47). Doesn't mean much except for the words & maybe the mentality!!

Current measures require restaurants to close early and refrain from serving alcohol. People have been asked to avoid non-urgent outings and refrain from crossing prefectural borders.​
I've been able to go anywhere I like. All the shops are open. I went to the ski shop area last week and bought some goggles.......

https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/b...r-in-tokyo-season-2021-22.90456/#post-4856888
;)

Reactions: skifree

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Why?
Seems virtually every other country is listed!

I have a pretty solid plan b, but given plan b is Europe and I’ll be in Europe the following Winter anyway, I’d love for 21/22 to be Japan. And I don’t mind quarantining at both ends to do so (although I acknowledge that the systems probably won’t be in place unless the Q vanishes.)

Reactions: skichanger

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com

Not including Aus and NZ shows it is political and has nothing to do with Covid.

I am hoping this new Quad political alliance will help open up things to us.

argento

Addicted
Jul 30, 2012
Not including Aus and NZ shows it is political and has nothing to do with Covid.

I am hoping this new Quad political alliance will help open up things to us.
sorry but what's political about not including NZ or AUS and why would Japan have anything but a good relationship with a country such as Australia? If it were China, i'd say you'd be spot on...

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
sorry but what's political about not including NZ or AUS and why would Japan have anything but a good relationship with a country such as Australia? If it were China, i'd say you'd be spot on...

The border to Australians is closed, when open to other places with high numbers of covid cases, because Australia has closed the border to Japan (and everyone else). That seems political to me.

argento

Addicted
Jul 30, 2012
The border to Australians is closed, when open to other places with high numbers of covid cases, because Australia has closed the border to Japan (and everyone else). That seems political to me.
so the fact that Japan closes its border to Australia (but not many others) is political but the fact that Australia closes its border to not only japan but every other single country the world has is ......?

Reactions: Lucky Pete and Hyst

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
From the main thread, regarding COVID testing times for travel.

For people who take a COVID test in Japan before departure, with a long line of people and done by airport officials, it takes longer than just 30 min. Also, you need to present the negative test AT check in. (the test and result in Japan on arrival from sample collection to result, is 1-1.5 hours with only about 50 people)

In fact, they recommend getting to the airport in Japan 5 hours before the flight if you're planning to get a test, just in case you have an ambiguous result, and need to take a 2nd test.

### Tips
- Remember also that once flights start again from Australia, LOTS of people will be getting 72 hour pre-flight COVID tests, so there may be delays. Pre-book the test.
- When booking a flight, it may not be a good idea to book it for a Monday or Tuesday, because you then have to get a test on a Saturday or a Sunday when availability of tests may be low.
- Get a cheap or free COVID test the day before your 72 hour pre-flight COVID test, so you don't waste the cost of a COVID travel test if you test positive .
## A PCR test for travel costs around $150 in Australia, so you need to factor that in. (along with the cost at the other end on the way back)

Reactions: skifree and mannyk

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Pick a fight? Me? Far from it. I just found your statement ill-informed and to a certain degree tendentious.
Ah so just bullying and demeaning.

Care to explain how my opinion is ill informed.

And exactly what cause do you think I am promoting?

You are welcome to offer an alternative hypothesis, which is what one would normally do if the intent were anything but to have a go at me.

argento

Addicted
Jul 30, 2012
Ah so just bullying and demeaning.

Care to explain how my opinion is ill informed.

And exactly what cause do you think I am promoting?

You are welcome to offer an alternative hypothesis, which is what one would normally do if the intent were anything but to have a go at me.
Certainly, I can explain myself but first let me state that you are mistaken in construing my previous questions and my latter statement that your opinion was ill-informed and to some degree tendentious as bullying or demeaning.

Now to explain myself. TO claim that Japan’s omission of Australia or New Zealand from their list is political, as you have done, is partially incorrect. It is partially incorrect because it completely omits the key fact that Australia has closed off it’s border to Japan (and everyone else) too! moreover, what it actually is, is a classical case of tit for tat. That is, Australia does not open its border to Japan so Japan does exactly the same (or viceversa)

That fact that you do not pick this nuance up in your comment renders it ill-informed. The fact that you highlight that Japan’s posture is political whilst making no mention of Australia’s posture/stance as political too, is biased or tendentious.

I hope the above goes to some length in assuaging your concerns that I was either bullying you or demeaning you. I merely sought to rectify what I deemed incorrect.

good day to you

Reactions: M_G

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Certainly, I can explain myself but first let me state that you are mistaken in construing my previous questions and my latter statement that your opinion was ill-informed and to some degree tendentious as bullying or demeaning.

Now to explain myself. TO claim that Japan’s omission of Australia or New Zealand from their list is political, as you have done, is partially incorrect. It is partially incorrect because it completely omits the key fact that Australia has closed off it’s border to Japan (and everyone else) too! moreover, what it actually is, is a classical case of tit for tat. That is, Australia does not open its border to Japan so Japan does exactly the same (or viceversa)

That fact that you do not pick this nuance up in your comment renders it ill-informed. The fact that you highlight that Japan’s posture is political whilst making no mention of Australia’s posture/stance as political too, is biased or tendentious.

I hope the above goes to some length in assuaging your concerns that I was either bullying you or demeaning you. I merely sought to rectify what I deemed incorrect.

good day to you
Nice try. In response to your first comment I said

"The border to Australians is closed, when open to other places with high numbers of covid cases, because Australia has closed the border to Japan (and everyone else). That seems political to me."

I have not given an opinion on Australia closing borders.

argento

Addicted
Jul 30, 2012
Nice try. In response to your first comment I said

"The border to Australians is closed, when open to other places with high numbers of covid cases, because Australia has closed the border to Japan (and everyone else). That seems political to me."

I have not given an opinion on Australia closing borders.
And that’s just it! You give no opinion about Australia and it’s policy, but you have no qualms in mentioning that Japan’s approach is political vis-à-vis Australia. Why would no also say that Australia’s policy towards Japan is also political?
Could it be because you are Australian?

Anyways, I’ll stop there. I have no interest in making you feel bullied or demeaned by me

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
And that’s just it! You give no opinion about Australia and it’s policy, but you have no qualms in mentioning that Japan’s approach is political vis-à-vis Australia. Why would no also say that Australia’s policy towards Japan is also political?
Could it be because you are Australian?

Anyways, I’ll stop there. I have no interest in making you feel bullied or demeaned by me
More irrational screaming at me. Whatever. Go for it. Why stop. This is not the first time you have done this in this thread.

This is a thread talking about returning to Japan in a forum of primarily Australians. I do not understand what is wrong with saying Japan excluding Australia from the group of countries who can travel freely to Japan is political. Why should I have qualms about saying this? I am trying to make the point that I think we will not be able to travel to Japan till we let Japanese travel to Australia. It is an opinion. You are welcome to offer a different opinion. But if you attack me, personally, like you have I will, at a minimum, defend myself.

As for my opinion of Australia's policy re border controls, you clearly have no idea what they are but you have no qualms about criticizing me about them. A lot of the pot calling the kettle black there.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
As much as I have enjoyed today's soap opera, it looks like we wont see too much straying from the course with the new Prime Minister elect, Kishida san. I think we had more hope with the gent that missed out, Kono san. Both look better than Suga though who clearly did his job delivering the Olympics and catching much of the flack around C19. Time to move on now.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
As much as I have enjoyed today's soap opera, it looks like we wont see too much straying from the course with the new Prime Minister elect, Kishida san. I think we had more hope with the gent that missed out, Kono san. Both look better than Suga though who clearly did his job delivering the Olympics and catching much of the flack around C19. Time to move on now.
Britney for PM!
FAdCHDIXsAcaYP2?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
Fist get PM, then new election - then we can see - to early now

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
From the COVID travel thread:

A leak to the lib mouthpiece but signs of things to come today:

International border ban to be lifted in November
International travel bans will be lifted next month with Prime Minister Scott Morrison to reveal the reopening plan today.
c9b3d58f-3213-451c-b636-671412de724b.png
Samantha Maiden

October 1, 2021 - 8:20AM

Intrepid Travel CEO James Thornton says there will be “real huge demand” for international travel once it resumes again. “I think there’s going to be, to some…

Australia is set to officially greenlight international travel today bringing forward the plan to scrap the international border bans to November in states that hit vaccination targets.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison will later today announce the new framework the states will need to meet before they can agree to reopen international travel.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
More pieces of the puzzle falling into place. I'd be more than happy to do a 7 day home quarantine upon return to Australia.

Any more news on the Japanese side of the equation?
As of today:

"State of Emergency" also lifted today (not much impact though, it's always been loose)

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
More pieces of the puzzle falling into place. I'd be more than happy to do a 7 day home quarantine upon return to Australia.

Any more news on the Japanese side of the equation?
Now that Australia is to open up to the world, Im guessing that countries like Japan will in the near future add Australia & NZ to their list of accepted countries. 10 days of HQ is still to long to justify a trip there but hopefully it will reduce in the coming months, 3 days is do able

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass