Japan 2022 snow season Planning

MadPow

Hard Yards
Mar 13, 2017
Further to.

Hokkaido tourist board is doing these sort of cars
3409.jpg

2055 yen a day . 4wd and snow tyres included.

And these.
5827.jpg

5829.jpg

3115 yen per day. Inc snowtyres and 4wd.
are you able to share a link to this?
thanks

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney
Use epic pass at Whistler, Stevens pass and Rusutsu.

Stevens Pass looks epic. Love those less well known (well to o/s tourists anyway) resorts. Will be a nice place to chill out after Whistler! Might be worth avoiding on weekends though given proximity to Seattle

Reactions: rowdyflat and Donza

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Stevens Pass looks epic. Love those less well known (well to o/s tourists anyway) resorts. Will be a nice place to chill out after Whistler! Might be worth avoiding on weekends though given proximity to Seattle
Stevens gets very busy now it is on Epic. It's the closest major hill to Seattle. Population 700 000.

Edit - particularly weekends.

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
My doctor was advising me today that he expects return travelers to be doing 5 days home quarantine with 4 daily RAT tests by early next year. RAT are planned to be rolled out here from 01 Nov 2021 and to be used without oversight of a medical practitioner.

Reactions: Froff Life

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Seattle is a fair bit more than 700K.
Its the same size as Sydney.
You're correct. Greater Seattle is about 4 million. Seattle itself about 700000.
I spent time in the city itself and it didn't feel that large.....quite a few coffee shops though.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
You're correct. Greater Seattle is about 4 million. Seattle itself about 700000.
I spent time in the city itself and it didn't feel that large.....quite a few coffee shops though.
I went there as a kid (dad was at Boeing for awhile).

Looking fwd to going back.

*yeah I know its got nothing to do with Japan.

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
I went there as a kid (dad was at Boeing for awhile).

Looking fwd to going back.

*yeah I know its got nothing to do with Japan.
Didn't realize I was in the Japan thread. Sorry about that.
While we're on it my teen daughter is made for the retro Seattle bands. It's high on our list of destinations.

I'll head to Japan if I can this coming winter but I'm from Brisbane and I'm guessing we'll be much much better chance of skiing in spring. Europe or Canada is more likely in April.

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
JAL just suspended flights December 1, 2021 ~ January 31, 2022 (inc. mine)
SA gov just told me home quarantine is not available for international travellers.
I'm thinking I might have to give up on this winter after all.
Do you know anybody in Sydney? You could stay there for the 7 day "home" quarantine.

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
JAL just suspended flights December 1, 2021 ~ January 31, 2022 (inc. mine)
SA gov just told me home quarantine is not available for international travellers.
I'm thinking I might have to give up on this winter after all.
Is that just for SA or Australia as a whole?

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I just got an email from our management company in Niseko. They are not expecting tourism this season at all, and very cautious about 22/23!! This deviates from previous emails where they were quite upbeat.
Devo!

TJ

One of Us
Aug 5, 2000
Hakuba, Japan
www.whitehorse-hakuba.com
Still getting bookings coming in from the hopeful. Just a waiting game atm. We'll be ready to open up but worst case scenario is I get another season like last year and just do Youtube again. Good either way. Actually great either way. Weather has been quite mild but that all changes on Sunday and we'll see snow on the peaks maybe to resort. Pumped for another winter.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Still getting bookings coming in from the hopeful. Just a waiting game atm. We'll be ready to open up but worst case scenario is I get another season like last year and just do Youtube again. Good either way. Actually great either way. Weather has been quite mild but that all changes on Sunday and we'll see snow on the peaks maybe to resort. Pumped for another winter.
I'll be there!!!! :D
And I'll try to drag some local friends with me!

Reactions: TJ

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
#### NSW to Scrap Home Quarantine for international travelers from 1st November. :D
VIC government just announced that travel from NSW into Vic with no quarantine will commence shortly, this will smooth out the process when returning from Japan on Qantas flights thru SYD into MELB, another hurdle jumped in the ski trip planning, wishfully hoping for a change on the Japan end now

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
I just got an email from our management company in Niseko. They are not expecting tourism this season at all, and very cautious about 22/23!! This deviates from previous emails where they were quite upbeat.
Devo!
So you get Niseko to yourself. :woohoo: It was pretty cool last time I was there skiing about with the place often to myself.

Reactions: Telemark Phat

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
That is the return to Aus part dealt with.

Now we need to be let out of Aus, into Japan and a shorter quarantine in Japan for short term visitors
You're free to go from Nov 1

The Japan bit is the next domino to fall.
Dom....

I'll back out.

2ESki

One of Us
Apr 16, 2017
That is the return to Aus part dealt with.

Now we need to be let out of Aus, into Japan and a shorter quarantine in Japan for short term visitors
What is the quarantine rules there at the moment for incoming tourists were hoping to go March or April, but not if we have to sit in a hotel for the first 7 days.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
You're free to go from Nov 1

The Japan bit is the next domino to fall.
Dom....

I'll back out.
mmm not sure we are free to leave yet. And Scomo clarified that Fed Gov controls who comes and goes so at the moment the freedom to return ony applies to Aus citizens, permanant residents etc rather than anybody from anywhere.

What is the quarantine rules there at the moment for incoming tourists were hoping to go March or April, but not if we have to sit in a hotel for the first 7 days.
Not letting most tourists in yet as the Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay) have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions (Note 9) (Note 9) Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Well that happened quickly. 1 Nov we can leave.

"It enables us to be in a position to lift caps for returning Australian citizens, residents and their families from the 1st of November into NSW," Mr Morrison said.

"What this also means is we will be allowing Australians, permanent residents and citizens and their families, to leave Australia from wherever they live in Australia."

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
"be travelling to Bali before Broome"

Clearly not seen the news from Indonesia today.....

Whilst encouraging, my take on this is its purely a politically driven action in part to be seen to bring home 'stranded' Aussies at an affordable price before Xmas. Any further will yet to be seen. Re outbound, with so few countries globally currently accepting tourists is a pretty easy commitment to make.

At this end we are still yet to see anything at this end that changes our view there will most likely not be tourism before the spring, particularly without some form of quarantine on arrival. As always would happily be proved wrong on that as its definetly a fluid situation, particularly with other countries starting to open. :)

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Not letting most tourists in yet as the Exemption of Visa (Short-Term Stay) have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions (Note 9) (Note 9) Canada, United States of America, North Macedonia, Serbia, Chile, Turkey, Mauritius.

Do you have any evidence etc of tourists from those countries currently actually being allowed in? Its our understanding tourists are not gaining entry.

(Edit: It appears one or two tourists from the US have entered after 14 days on a yacht sailing from Korea but seems people arent being allowed to board planes without a valid Japanese visa, irrespective of their passport.)

Anyone else have some info that can be verified?

Last edited:

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Interesting, I heard they were starting their own ski school in 2022.
Was publicly announced today, new school and guiding business in Niseko. 'Rhythm Rides'. Good luck to Matt, Austin and their team. Will be a great tie in with the hire business.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Devo!
The vibe I've heard from Niseko is no staff Visas before the election amd very unlikely within a couple of months of the election.

Reactions: Lucky Pete

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
The vibe I've heard from Niseko is no staff Visas before the election amd very unlikely within a couple of months of the election.
Looks like we will swing past the Bo to collect gear and be off to Europe then… damn… I’d have preferred to have done the first post Covid foray in our own place in a town I know well. But so be it.

Reactions: Lachlan skellet

ratherb@thesnow

Addicted
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
With the USA decision to allow foreign tourist entry from NOV 8 with no quarantine restrictions, it may add pressure to Japans decision. Hopefully another step closer to archiving our entry pass to the snow. I’m slowing zipping up the board bag

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
With the USA decision to allow foreign tourist entry from NOV 8 with no quarantine restrictions, it may add pressure to Japans decision. Hopefully another step closer to archiving our entry pass to the snow. I’m slowing zipping up the board bag
That information is not correct. The US has never placed quarantine restrictions on incoming international passengers. It has placed incoming travel bans however. On 1st Nov, they will removed bans on the last 33 countries, provided that are fully vaccinated with an approved vaccine. But the rule requiring a negative COVID test result 3 days before travel is still in place.

Personally, I think this will have no impact on Japan's border control, which will be based on what the Japanese govt decides to do. Previously, they've done exactly what they want, even with bans on foreign residents in Japan up to 30th Sep last year. (i.e. I was unable to leave and then return to Japan until 1st October 2020)

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
Now available at Liqourland.
20211017_125902.jpg

Just happened to pick up one of those at my local Liquorland at lunchtime. $22 though for the 4 pack of 330ml cans. Had one just now in fact. Was nice, but not quite the same as grabbing a 500ml can out of a vending machine in Japan for Y200 after a day skiing (now a distant memory).

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
These are pretty good from Dan's. Only 250 ml cans though and a bit exxy too like the Suntorys. They come in blood orange as well.

20211017_185331.jpg

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass