Japan 2022 snow season Planning

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Until the end of the month, for foreigners. The return of quarantine and longer self-isolation periods will be longer lasting
Students and Business people only.
With strict quota of 3500 per day.
With a massive backlog of hundreds of thousands of people.

Reactions: cold wombat

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Speaking of.
A poll published in JT had 89% of those interviewed in favour of a closed border to foreigners.

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
Speaking of.
A poll published in JT had 89% of those interviewed in favour of a closed border to foreigners.
Yes but as soon as the Japanese government realises how important we are, they'll create a new visa category called "self important Australian skiers" and let us all straight in. Surely you can see how compelling the case is?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Yes but as soon as the Japanese government realises how important we are, they'll create a new visa category called "self important Australian skiers" and let us all straight in. Surely you can see how compelling the case is?
It was blindingly obvious to some.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
Come on guys its been 4 days and no posts on this thread. Surely someone hasnt given up... #makethisthreadgreatagain :)
people weren’t being nice
one of my fellow geriatrics has bailed out - he wanted to make sure he got a refund rather than credit
that leaves two of us - we both bought tickets with ff points
the other geriatric is muttering about something called Big White
I don’t want to go to Canada - longer, more complicated trip and I’d get grief from the offspring for not taking a side-trip to Georgia
so we’re waiting for some more news from Kishida-san
I can live with it either way

Apiraclubby

Hard Yards
Jul 14, 2015
one of my fellow geriatrics has bailed out - he wanted to make sure he got a refund rather than credit
that leaves two of us - we both bought tickets with ff points
the other geriatric is muttering about something called Big White
I don’t want to go to Canada - longer, more complicated trip and I’d get grief from the offspring for not taking a side-trip to Georgia
so we’re waiting for some more news from Kishida-san
I can live with it either way
Read a Japanese paper last week that said Kishida will be proposing a huge bailout package for all businesses effected. To me, that’s as good as saying pay the businesses and keep those borders closed. Everybody wins, except those bloody Aussie skiers.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Based on some updates from friends in country that the Japanese are getting rather unhappy with all the lockdowns. Perhaps unhappy enough to curb their casual racism and sway opinion to reopen.
What little staff the businesses have managed to get for this year, anticipating that it will open, are finding they cant extend/renew their visas because they can't prove any income from last year, and so are unable to work and/or have to go home.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if any bailout is based on a previous year's income, and knowing typical government bureaucracy (not just Japanese gov) it'll be based on last year's income. ie, effectively useless.

I'm still holding out hope because of a few points, tho not much hope is left.
Japan are about to tick over to 80%.
Hopefully Omicron maintains its lesser impact than the media hype expected.
I'm stuck without alternatives because finding affordable long term accom in Canada somewhere this late will be impossible.
Our travel plans haven't actually been cancelled yet, we weren't until early Jan this year anyway. Losses and gains in both our families mean it is a good time to stay for my first family Christmases in 20 years.
I think there is also some ground gained for the border reopening for Australians before other countries like Singapore/etc, because of our the recent animosity with China and our steps taken to strengthen bonds with Japan.
and a completely unfounded hope that when Japan reopens they might consider opening up tourism at the same time as business and students.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
It looks like Omicron will be more scare than substance but for me, needing to travel in January, it was a no go.

It will change, but I’m not sure when. The whole world needs to stop with these knee jerk reactions. I’m over it. We’re all over it. Closing borders is so 2020 “we don’t have any vaccines”. We do have vaccines now. And treatments. And a better understanding of the disease.

Maybe a March change? I hope earlier but it wasn’t going to happen for me.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Based on some updates from friends in country that the Japanese are getting rather unhappy with all the lockdowns. Perhaps unhappy enough to curb their casual racism and sway opinion to reopen.
What little staff the businesses have managed to get for this year, anticipating that it will open, are finding they cant extend/renew their visas because they can't prove any income from last year, and so are unable to work and/or have to go home.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if any bailout is based on a previous year's income, and knowing typical government bureaucracy (not just Japanese gov) it'll be based on last year's income. ie, effectively useless.

I'm still holding out hope because of a few points, tho not much hope is left.
Japan are about to tick over to 80%.
Hopefully Omicron maintains its lesser impact than the media hype expected.
I'm stuck without alternatives because finding affordable long term accom in Canada somewhere this late will be impossible.
Our travel plans haven't actually been cancelled yet, we weren't until early Jan this year anyway. Losses and gains in both our families mean it is a good time to stay for my first family Christmases in 20 years.
I think there is also some ground gained for the border reopening for Australians before other countries like Singapore/etc, because of our the recent animosity with China and our steps taken to strengthen bonds with Japan.
and a completely unfounded hope that when Japan reopens they might consider opening up tourism at the same time as business and students.
Yup. Agree.
In June.

Reactions: billykate

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Based on some updates from friends in country that the Japanese are getting rather unhappy with all the lockdowns.
Lockdowns? Domestic travel has been effectively unfetted since this all started and essientally the only real restrictions as I understand it have been in some food and bev establishments in the cities which I think have ended?? Currently the skijo car parks are packed with cars outside of Nagano pref.

Any govt assistance will be greatly appreciated especially as bookings across the board here are lighter than even last year. Was thinking it was just us even though we are doing ok with repeat guests but having spoken to big and small operators in town its across the board. Hopefully GoTo fires back up sooner rather than later as that was really helpful when operating.

Most of us can get through this winter of discontent but a 3rd season would make it really tough for many folks, at this stage I dont want to think about that. Whilst it sucks many members here cant go on holidays, for some folks that live in Japan the pain is much more prenounced. To offset that Im looking forward to a lot of quality riding with friends :)

Last edited:

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Based on some updates from friends in country that the Japanese are getting rather unhappy with all the lockdowns.
There were never any lock downs. Just unenforcable requests. The "state of emergency" was pretty much "asking" restaurants & pubs to close at 8pm.

Reactions: Hyst

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Lockdowns? Domestic travel has been effectively unfetted since this all started and essientally the only real restrictions as I understand it have been in some food and bev establishments in the cities which I think have ended?? Currently the skijo car parks are packed with cars outside of Nagano pref.
There were never any lock downs. Just unenforcable requests. The "state of emergency" was pretty much "asking" restaurants & pubs to close at 8pm.
whats with all the grammar nazis?

lockdown: a state of isolation or restricted access instituted as a security measure.

in my post its clear that im talking about the tourism industry.
thus, by lockdown, it's painfully clear that I mean: the border closure isolating the country and restricting access to tourists from entering the country as a security measure.

sheesh. next ill need to clarify im not talking about prisons in lockdown. i never actually clarified the japanese weren't unhappy with australias lockdowns so perhaps I should clarify that too? i dont mean doomsday preppers either. nor school lockdowns. not those nightclubs that lock-in after 2am. not the extra security measures fancy cars take when you lock them twice. i certainly don't mean lock up. and by lock up i dont mean locks that are facing up. and by up i mean vertically, not north. and by vertically i mean an angle opposite to the general gravity vector. and by gravity i mean the force generated by the collective mass of the earth. by earth i mean the third planet in our solar system. by our solar system i dont take ownership or responsibility for said collection. by solar system i refer to a main sequence star and its 8 planets in the virgo super cluster referred to by its aggressive infestation on the third planet in their own language as 'solar system'.

i guess it hasn't changed.

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

lockdown: a state of isolation or restricted access instituted as a security measure.

thus, by lockdown, it's painfully clear that I mean: the border closure isolating the country and restricting access to tourists from entering the country as a security measure.

sheesh. next ill need to clarify im not talking about prisons in lockdown. i never actually clarified the japanese weren't unhappy with australias lockdowns so perhaps I should clarify that too? i dont mean doomsday preppers either. nor school lockdowns. not those nightclubs that lock-in after 2am. not the extra security measures fancy cars take when you lock them twice. i certainly don't mean lock up. and by lock up i dont mean locks that are facing up. and by up i mean vertically, not north. and by vertically i mean an angle opposite to the general gravity vector. and by gravity i mean the force generated by the collective mass of the earth. by earth i mean the third planet in our solar system. by our solar system i dont take ownership or responsibility for said collection. by solar system i refer to a main sequence star and its 8 planets in the virgo super cluster referred to by its aggressive infestation on the third planet in their own language as 'solar system'.
Are you giving up on capital letters?

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com

i guess it hasn't changed.
The internet / digital responses are weird at times .
For the life of me I don't understand how you could have got yourself so wound up over the two comments ??????
But you have been known to get your knickers in a knot when people have dared to bag Niseko , so maybe you're just a grumpy c**t LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
The internet / digital responses are weird at times .
For the life of me I don't understand how you could have got yourself so wound up over the two comments ??????
But you have been known to get your knickers in a knot when people have dared to bag Niseko , so maybe you're just a grumpy c**t LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
excuse me!
I am not a grumpy c**t
I am a very grumpy c**t :p :p

need my pow fix :)

one of my favorite Niseko past times is to point out "professional" guides & instructors doing stupid shit. blocking gates and goat tracks. cutting people off. stopping in stupid spots for photos. those sorts of things.
I make sure to point it out in front of the whole group they're guiding. Often it means I have to ski over their skis to get past whatever they're blocking.
It's really cathartic to ruin someone's day that way ;P
(I never do it to tourists, they're braindead already. only guides and instructors I recognize)
Unfortunately I think my reputation has begun to proceed me and/or they're really improving the quality of guides in town.
2016 I'd get to do it almost daily.
2017-2018 only once or twice a week.
2019 at most once a month!
if the improvement continues, I'll be real grumpy!

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
excuse me!
I am not a grumpy c**t
I am a very grumpy c**t :p :p

need my pow fix :)

one of my favorite Niseko past times is to point out "professional" guides & instructors doing stupid shit. blocking gates and goat tracks. cutting people off. stopping in stupid spots for photos. those sorts of things.
I make sure to point it out in front of the whole group they're guiding. Often it means I have to ski over their skis to get past whatever they're blocking.
It's really cathartic to ruin someone's day that way ;P
(I never do it to tourists, they're braindead already. only guides and instructors I recognize)
Unfortunately I think my reputation has begun to proceed me and/or they're really improving the quality of guides in town.
2016 I'd get to do it almost daily.
2017-2018 only once or twice a week.
2019 at most once a month!
if the improvement continues, I'll be real grumpy!
Shall I come do dumb shit just to keep you happy *grumpy* ?

Seriously!!
I will say it again.
No shredding is bad for the mental health.

I had a real dark moment yesterday and was just about to rip PB a new one for no reason… instead I just threw out a big dropped bottom lip and said my mojo needs snowboarding. He patted my knee, said “I know baby, mine too, ALMOST there”.
So many of us use the endorphins and Adrenalin we get riding and skiing as self medication. I’m not surprised we are all getting a bit narky online.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

Seriously!!
I will say it again.

I had a real dark moment yesterday and was just about to rip PB a new one for no reason… instead I just threw out a big dropped bottom lip and said my mojo needs snowboarding. He patted my knee, said “I know baby, mine too, ALMOST there”.
So many of us use the endorphins and Adrenalin we get riding and skiing as self medication. I’m not surprised we are all getting a bit narky online.
Where’s your plan B again? You must be leaving very soon

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Where’s your plan B again? You must be leaving very soon
I think it was first week of Jan.
our original Japan flights were the same day.

Seriously!!
I will say it again.

gonna need you to yell at some idiot guides for me ;P

Reactions: LMB and Annabuzzy

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW
Yeah boy, that lake effect
C05F0EAC-C50B-4479-AD85-14915BB4A339.jpeg

Asama

One of Us
Jan 29, 2020
NW Gunma, Japan 1100m asl
So it looks as JMA have made some changes.
I can't find the hourly breakdown of data for the weather stations, can anyone help?

You can click on the individual weather stations on the interactive map below to go to the hourly page for that location.
I see it all in Japanese but I assume there's an English version somewhere.

Reactions: Slowpony

Slowpony

Addicted
Mar 28, 2008
Perth Western Australia
You can click on the individual weather stations on the interactive map below to go to the hourly page for that location.
I see it all in Japanese but I assume there's an English version somewhere.

Perfect, thanks

Reactions: Asama

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Yeah!!!!! Just in time for me to spend 14 days in Japanese isolation!!!!
Are you returning with or without the new spouse? If with, I expect you’ll be occupied LOL;)

• Wow
Reactions: Hyst

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
looks like this thread is terminally ill......
I think we're all just sitting here literally holding our breath waiting for visas or borders to open.

still paying rent on my apartment, and just cost $2000 to get my car going again after sitting there unused for 18 months. I think it was actually suspended in the air with all the sasa grass that grew up underneath and into it.

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
I think we're all just sitting here literally holding our breath waiting for visas or borders to open.

still paying rent on my apartment, and just cost $2000 to get my car going again after sitting there unused for 18 months. I think it was actually suspended in the air with all the sasa grass that grew up underneath and into it.
last night Qantas emailed to remind me that they cancelled my return flight Haneda-Sydney in Feb
like I wouldn’t remember
the other day my remaining fellow geriatric ski-bum called while I was checking my tyres at a servo in Ballina
I think he’s worried I’ll cancel before Kishida’s final word
but no!
I can hold on a bit longer

expatgm

One of Us
Aug 4, 2014
Queenstown
last night Qantas emailed to remind me that they cancelled my return flight Haneda-Sydney in Feb
like I wouldn’t remember
the other day my remaining fellow geriatric ski-bum called while I was checking my tyres at a servo in Ballina
I think he’s worried I’ll cancel before Kishida’s final word
but no!
I can hold on a bit longer
They have just further tightened their restrictions last week

• Sad
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass