Japan 2022 snow season Planning

Neddy

Hard Yards
Mar 18, 2016
For comparison, I can't currently get a short term visa to see my defacto partner (Japanese citizen) who has been over there since August helping care for ill parents. It was looking likely in October based on discussions with the consulate but omicron has shut down all short term travel for non-residents except emergency compassionate cases (their wording). It's unlikely that it's going to jump from this to recreational travel for quite a while yet.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
And its still snowing...

And its not about to stop.. well it does for 2 days.
Screenshot_20220113-192417_Internet.jpg

Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
And just to rub salt into the wound, I'm getting my inbox filled with japow snow-alerts from snowforecast.com.
And I ask myself why am I paying for a service that makes me cry every time I check my email.
Sigh.
For those of you lucky enough to be anywhere in Japow right now, put some turns in fro me.

Reactions: Kimski and Hyst

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
At Tsugaike, there was around 15cm in 45min. and maybe 25-30cm in 2 hours on the pistes. All the "regular" Japanese piste riders were falling like 9 pins across the slopes!!! Even the JMA site in the valley had 10cm between 1pm-2pm.
Ahh - good that I am not there as a pist rider - should not be so unhappy - all that terrible snow. :out:

Reactions: Tonester

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
ok...haven't been there for years. Hanazono #1 lift?
New gondola.

The recent wet weather continues in Niseko, but on a sunny day, the world spreads amazingly beautiful. Behind the new collies folly course born by the birth of Gondora, one of the Niseko Federation's Iwao sub-priorities is clearly visible.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
New gondola.

The recent wet weather continues in Niseko, but on a sunny day, the world spreads amazingly beautiful. Behind the new collies folly course born by the birth of Gondora, one of the Niseko Federation's Iwao sub-priorities is clearly visible.
A new gondora, eh? Good for them

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
New gondola.

This is the new gondola. I wonder when their new connecting gondola (to Weiss) will start running.

Japan Powder

First Runs
Jan 15, 2022
This is the 2nd year in a row we have had to forgo skiing in Japan and only the 3rd time in the last 22 years!! We were really hoping that things would have eased by now. Have you thought about the north island of Hokkaido? Not just Niseko but elsewhere?

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
This is the 2nd year in a row we have had to forgo skiing in Japan and only the 3rd time in the last 22 years!! We were really hoping that things would have eased by now. Have you thought about the north island of Hokkaido? Not just Niseko but elsewhere?
Lol. I think you need to read a few more threads in this Japan forum to get an answer to your question

Reactions: skifree and Sandy

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018

Japan starting to get smashed by Omicron. I guess they can't blame it on foreigners this time. Be interesting to see what the Government does next. If they have as many cases as the next country, then I see no reason to continue to be closed off to the rest of the world.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
So is the consensus that unless you are lucky enough to have residency that skiing in 2023 is more likely or 2024?

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Japan starting to get smashed by Omicron. I guess they can't blame it on foreigners this time.
Well they could kinda .
US military force staff entering the country without testing or iso.
On Okinawa.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
A World Health Organization panel on Wednesday recommended member countries lift or ease international traffic bans, saying they do not provide "added value."

Asked about the recommendation, Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Seiji Kihara said Japan will maintain its entry ban on nonresident foreign nationals into Japan until the end of February as planned. "The infection situations regarding Omicron are clearly different in Japan and abroad," he said.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Unfortunately it's looking very unlikely to me that any of us are going to get a chance to get to Japan in March as independent tourists, when there would still be done very good skiing to be had.
I'll also have to be getting back to work at some point. A February or March ski trip would have been very nice but without any prospect of getting to Japan I'll have to think about getting more work instead.

Reactions: Kimski

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
Unfortunately it's looking very unlikely to me that any of us are going to get a chance to get to Japan in March as independent tourists, when there would still be done very good skiing to be had.
I'll also have to be getting back to work at some point. A February or March ski trip would have been very nice but without any prospect of getting to Japan I'll have to think about getting more work instead.
I’m planning an early 2023 northern hemisphere trip. Not sure if it will be Japan or somewhere else snowy yet. My travel fund is building up nicely.

There are lots of places I could travel to next week and ski but logistically it’s just too risky for me right now.

At least I should get an Aussie snow trip in this year

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass