Japan 2022 snow season Planning

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
For those presently in situ, are Nagano/Niigata affected too?

No, not really.... There was a spike in cases at Hakuba after new year, but not too bad now.
The numbers have spooked Tokyo people and weekend numbers are way down.

Reactions: M_G

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
and Hokkaido - all white stuff…no grass
Yup all grass in hakuba.
Screenshot_20220204-223710_Gallery.jpg

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Might be time to start the 22/23 planning thread LOL
I just got my “give us your dates” email from the accomodation management company.

Apparently they have books filled with people who booked, paid and had to cancel this season and last, and even March the year before who will be wanting to rebook and use their credit, so there will be some juggling going on to try and get all the prior clients re-booked, new travellers booked and in amongst owners who are likely to go for longer after such a break.

Might be a busy travel season (if Japan opens the goddamn borders for tourists).

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Kimski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2010
I just got my “give us your dates” email from the accomodation management company.

Apparently they have books filled with people who booked, paid and had to cancel this season and last, and even March the year before who will be wanting to rebook and use their credit, so there will be some juggling going on to try and get all the prior clients re-booked, new travellers booked and in amongst owners who are likely to go for longer after such a break.

Might be a busy travel season (if Japan opens the goddamn borders for tourists).
I think there is a large number of us hoping to make 22/23 ‘the year’ to travel overseas to ski again. While I could technically travel overseas tomorrow the hassle isn’t worth it for me right now. At least my ‘travel’ fund will be healthy when I can finally go :D

Reactions: sn0wbunny29

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I think there is a large number of us hoping to make 22/23 ‘the year’ to travel overseas to ski again. While I could technically travel overseas tomorrow the hassle isn’t worth it for me right now. At least my ‘travel’ fund will be healthy when I can finally go :D
The issues to overcome are:
1. Are borders open (should be)
2. Are entry requirements onerous (testing/quarantine etc)
3. Can you get a flight (planes and staff need to come back on line and that takes way more logistics than anyone could imagine).
4. Can you get accomodation (with all the pre-paid credits in line after the owners, then everyone else who is gagging for it… will be high demand)

Will certainly be interesting times!

Reactions: skifree and Kimski

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Bahahahahha
You’re always 2 or 3 steps ahead of me Donza!!

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It's not a weather thread, so I think I should not write about weather here too often, but most people on this thread couldn't / can't fly to Japan this season, and a lot of them are reading this thread, so I briefly mention it for the people who are interested in.

I think this is a good season (if not the best). Speaking of Zao Onsen, it's been like whenever I felt "I want next snowfall", then it actually snowed 30cm or more. 30cm of snowfall overnight is enough to have a powder day (IMO), so frequent 30cm overnight snowfall is what I want and I've been getting it this season from the last week of NOVEMBER. So almost always with fresh powder this season:thumbs:. I hope it will happen when you come next season;).

Zao Onsen's famous statue (Jizo) this weekend, completely buried.
Zao.jpg

The same statue (Jizo) in green season.
pixta_56009548_M.jpg

Last edited:

Schnaxxy Schnaxxlburger

but a dream within a dream
Ski Pass
Jun 23, 2001
macdonaldtown
  • Sad
Reactions: Kimski

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
It's not a weather thread, so I think I should not write about weather here too often, but most people on this thread couldn't / can't fly to Japan this season, and a lot of them are reading this thread, so I briefly mention it for the people who are interested in.

I think this is a good season (if not the best). Speaking of Zao Onsen, it's been like whenever I felt "I want next snowfall", then it actually snowed 30cm or more. 30cm of snowfall overnight is enough to have a powder day (IMO), so frequent 30cm overnight snowfall is what I want and I've been getting it this season from the last week of NOVEMBER. So almost always with fresh powder this season:thumbs:. I hope it will happen when you come next season;).

Zao Onsen's famous statue (Jizo) this weekend, completely buried.
Zao.jpg

The same statue (Jizo) in green season.
pixta_56009548_M.jpg
That jizo seriously needs a beanie for winter. ;)

Reactions: Ramenman

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Spring skiing still on the cards?

I don't think so. Workers, students, business. Still have to get spouses/children etc in before tourists, still have to get a visa as the visa waiver is still suspended for tourists.

It's the cap on entries that will kill that (3500/day). And it's dependent on the number of airport entry COVID tests they can do.

In the longer term, double vaxed & boosted tourists and no arrival COVID test is what seems to be needed.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Just playing with our emotions, that said if it didn’t happen I’d be keen, some pretty good bases being reported at the moment and looking back over snow fall data for previous years, there’s been some good falls thru Mar & Early Apr……..anyway it’s not all about the snow

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
We will be riding pow in April this year, the only question will be will our guests be able to join us. Fingers crossed for those that could do a spring trip. Im hoping it does as want to get back to Aus in April and flights are going to be much cheaper if tourists can come to Japan :)

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Looks like some changes are in the air, was an announcement of TV this morning which I missed about a relaxation in border controls and now this article. Note what I have read etc to date is excluding tourists.

ratherb@thesnow

One of Us
Jul 25, 2007
victoria
Waiting and watching, if it eventuates it will be a bonus, trip planning has moved to Dec 22 but a quick check on line sees Japan Airlines has $970 RTN MELB to Haneda in Mar 22

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Seeing anticipated changes to entry rules everywhere in my feed.

I have to be in Aus till 7th March. Might see what I can book for after that. Might see if it is possible to put in a visa application. If not at least get everything ready for when I can. Got to go see how my lodges are.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Seeing anticipated changes to entry rules everywhere in my feed.

I have to be in Aus till 7th March. Might see what I can book for after that. Might see if it is possible to put in a visa application. If not at least get everything ready for when I can. Got to go see how my lodges are.
They are reissuing expired Business Owner Visas using a simplified approach rather than having to start from scratch again which was the previous advice (you couldnt renew outside of Japan). Apparently process is taking approx one month via an Immigration Lawyer with a requirement of entering Japan within 6 months of it being issued. If you want to be here early March you may need to get that started.

Reactions: skichanger

skichanger

A Local
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
They are reissuing expired Business Owner Visas using a simplified approach rather than having to start from scratch again which was the previous advice (you couldnt renew outside of Japan). Apparently process is taking approx one month via an Immigration Lawyer with a requirement of entering Japan within 6 months of it being issued. If you want to be here early March you may need to get that started.
Thanks. We were doing stuff in November and resume that now.

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Same could be said about Aus.
Japan is easier to enter than Australia?
At 5000 entries per day /420k approved. How long will that take to clear the backlog?
As Japan has half a million cases of Omicron every day.

But . Japan.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
PM Kishida’s press conference will be today at 19:00 GMT+9 / 10:00 GMT+0 / 05:00 GMT-5.

Waiting, waiting....
What is the press conference about?

Tokyo, Feb. 16 (Jiji Press)--Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida plans to hold a press conference on Thursday at the earliest, according to sources close to the prime minister.

He is expected to explain about the government's plan to extend its COVID-19 pre-emergency designations for Osaka and some other prefectures where the designations are currently set to expire on Sunday, and also about the planned easing of the Japan's border control measures against the pandemic, the sources said Tuesday.

Breakbeat

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
Milan/Verbier
Still waiting for English version, but the chat is hilarious
So far, Kishida basically confirmed everything Nikkei and the other outlets published in the past days. From March 1st students and workers allowed, new limit of 5k entries per day, zero quarantine for people with 3 doses. As expected, no mention of tourists, other than the government is thinking about it (no timeline announced).

EDIT: here we go

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
So far, Kishida basically confirmed everything Nikkei and the other outlets published in the past days. From March 1st students and workers allowed, new limit of 5k entries per day, zero quarantine for people with 3 doses. As expected, no mention of tourists, other than the government is thinking about it (no timeline announced).

EDIT: here we go
bugger.
I estimated less than 30% chance theyd open, but still bad news to hear it confirmed.
I would have enjoyed some spring skiing, probably kept going until mid april. But I think any later than march 1st is getting too late to spend the money, time and effort really.

Breakbeat

Hard Yards
Jan 8, 2020
Milan/Verbier
You’d think any Omicron wave will be well done by then. I’d be thinking earlier. April? May?
Conservative approach of the government aside, Japan must streamline the entry process and clear the backlog of international students and workers before letting tourists in. This will take months, even without new variants/waves. Maybe I'm overly pessimistic, but at this stage even 2022/23 is 50/50 in my opinion.

• Wow
Reactions: LMB and Hyst

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
With a total of 4 million cases in a country of 125 million I think that may be a little optimistic.
NSW started its Omicron wave late November 2021, peaked early January, and it’s seeing the back end of it mid February 2022. 3 to 4 months. Japan started in January - you’d think they’d be through the bulk of any wave by late March, mid April.

Hyst

Enjoyer
Ski Pass
Nov 23, 2014
Copenhagen
www.ahmadjoudeh.com
NSW started its Omicron wave late November 2021, peaked early January, and it’s seeing the back end of it mid February 2022. 3 to 4 months. Japan started in January - you’d think they’d be through the bulk of any wave by late March, mid April.
Learn your lesson - it takes a bit longer time:

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Learn your lesson - it takes a bit longer time:

Any reinfections with the same variant are likely to be less and less severe. I’m not seeing reinfection as a cause for angst

Reactions: LMB

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Japan is highly vaccinated so that's a plus. They're also highly conservative as was mentioned above so I'm thinking NH summer at best.

Reactions: Hyst and LMB
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass