Japan 2022 snow season Planning

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
You’d think any Omicron wave will be well done by then. I’d be thinking earlier. April? May?
With a total of 4 million cases in a country of 125 million I think that may be a little optimistic. Here's hoping anyway.
The total number of cases over the whole 2 years of the pandemic doesn't have much relationship with when the Omicron wave will be over.

If you look at the data, just over half of those 4 million recorded cases are due to the current Omicron wave. But also in pretty much every country, the Omicron wave peaks much quicker and drops just as quickly(the gradient / rate of change of cases is much faster), and the Japanese Omicron wave looks similar.
The Omicron wave started just after NY and peaked 5 weeks later. On that basis, it looks like the Omicron wave in Japan may peak towards the end of March.
How the Japanese govt reacts to that is another issue.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Just had a thought.... happens sometimes. If one or both of my teens get a Japanese working holiday visa next year on a gap year, I think they can buy a car. If so, I could buy an older 4wd campervan in their name and use it while my wife and I were there then leave it for the kid(s) to use. If that was possible, could we then keep it registered when their working holiday visa is up and store it in a rented rural shed for my wife and I to use the following year in 2023, and the next? This may be difficult to arrange but a local car service centre could do whatever annual roadworthy is needed and the shed would be the parking address.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com
Just had a thought.... happens sometimes. If one or both of my teens get a Japanese working holiday visa next year on a gap year, I think they can buy a car. If so, I could buy an older 4wd campervan in their name and use it while my wife and I were there then leave it for the kid(s) to use. If that was possible, could we then keep it registered when their working holiday visa is up and store it in a rented rural shed for my wife and I to use the following year in 2023, and the next? This may be difficult to arrange but a local car service centre could do whatever annual roadworthy is needed and the shed would be the parking address.
Short answer is yes in our experience. Insurance might be prohibitively expensive though due to the kids age and type of vehicle. As you noted you will also need someone to take it to get shakened every year or 2 depending on its classification. The ideal scenario would be that it got stored at the local garage etc. One HUGE issue could be mold if its not stored correctly. FWIW if its a rural area including Hakuba you wont need a registered parking address. This is driven by where the kids register their address.

Reactions: Any

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Business visa's will be available from March !!!!!!!
I was considering getting a job to come over. 1st march to mid April is a fun spring skiing time.
But I realized that they're still only letting 5k a day in, and the wait list is over 150k long (supposedly). Even if there was no wait list, Japanese bureaucracy will take 2-4 weeks to issue a visa, which means its too late to bother with costs and time going over, self isolating, and skiing the slush.

• Sad
Reactions: skifree and snowgum
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Hmmm...... 4WD campervan. I can't recall seeing any older campervans in Japan.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Short answer is yes in our experience. Insurance might be prohibitively expensive though due to the kids age and type of vehicle. As you noted you will also need someone to take it to get shakened every year or 2 depending on its classification. The ideal scenario would be that it got stored at the local garage etc. One HUGE issue could be mold if its not stored correctly. FWIW if its a rural area including Hakuba you wont need a registered parking address. This is driven by where the kids register their address.
Yes the insurance cost could be an issue. The kids would likely be trying to get some work in a ski area so the address would be rural. Not being able to buy a car myself is unfortunate. It would make a couple of months a year in winter and green season much more convenient and cheaper if we could have a camper that sleeps two or more. The savings in accommodation would offset the insurance, shaken and service costs. Could just leave snow tires on it , considering that the majority of use would be in winter.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Hmmm...... 4WD campervan. I can't recall seeing any older campervans in Japan.
By older I mean something mid 2000s and upwards. Which is pretty old IMO. A HiAce or a Toyota Camroad or Isuzu Elf with a diesel or gas heater. HiAce would drive a bit better, lots more room in a Camroad style vehicle.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Yes the insurance cost could be an issue. The kids would likely be trying to get some work in a ski area so the address would be rural. Not being able to buy a car myself is unfortunate. It would make a couple of months a year in winter and green season much more convenient and cheaper if we could have a camper that sleeps two or more. The savings in accommodation would offset the insurance, shaken and service costs. Could just leave snow tires on it , considering that the majority of use would be in winter.
any friends in town that you trust?

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
By older I mean something mid 2000s and upwards. Which is pretty old IMO. A HiAce or a Toyota Camroad or Isuzu Elf with a diesel or gas heater. HiAce would drive a bit better, lots more room in a Camroad style vehicle.
You don't see a lot of older cars in Japan, period.
Every 2 years you need to get a "shaken" (roadworthy test). Often, it costs too much to "fix" after 10-15yo, so they just get scrapped or are exported to 3rd world countries.
My 1998 car was done by around 2013.... was going to cost ~$8000 AUD to "fix".

### This is the REASON why there's lots of 2nd hand cars exported from Japan.

Reactions: skifree

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
any friends in town that you trust?
I do have a friend in Chiba I've known since 2009. He has an apartment in Naeba. We have caught up three times since then when I've been in Japan. Each trip I stayed with him and his family for a few days in Chiba or in Naeba. I'm not sure I want to impose on him to be a proxy but that could be an option. It would be great if older gaijin could get a working holiday visa to teach English in rural areas.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Every 2 years you need to get a "shaken" (roadworthy test). Often, it costs too much to "fix" after 10-15yo, so they just get scrapped or are exported to 3rd world countries.

Yikes!

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Also I'm thinking about importing a 4wd camper. Lots on this website. Best done after seeing it in person on an extended ski or sping sightseeing trip.

If you do that make sure its pre 98 otherwise getting it plated here can be up to $10k. Even then its not a simple or cheap process. Personally Id be buying something already here so you have some chance of sourcing parts and servicing etc.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
If you do that make sure its pre 98 otherwise getting it plated here can be up to $10k. Even then its not a simple or cheap process. Personally Id be buying something already here so you have some chance of sourcing parts and servicing etc.
I think he's talking about exporting from Japan to Australia, which is quite a good idea. There's a lot of perfectly good 2nd hand cars in Japan, where Japanese people just can't be bothered paying for the Shaken.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
Ah doh. Then on the flip side do your home work, as its getting more difficult to bring vehicles into Australia. I used EDI Customs in Brisbane to bring in my cars and bikes previously into Aus. Might be worth engaging with someone like that to get a solid understanding of all that is involved now.

Reactions: dr80

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

Old certainly isn't available as Sandy said, but not so old is probably not outside of the budget either. Cars are cheaper in Japan.

kit out Delicas n stuff on carsensor.net for like $8kAU
U00036658165_16_001.jpg

Reactions: Annabuzzy and Sandy

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I do have a friend in Chiba I've known since 2009. He has an apartment in Naeba. We have caught up three times since then when I've been in Japan. Each trip I stayed with him and his family for a few days in Chiba or in Naeba. I'm not sure I want to impose on him to be a proxy but that could be an option. It would be great if older gaijin could get a working holiday visa to teach English in rural areas.
You only need an Australian Level 1 to get a sponsored visa to teach skiing in Japan now. Regardless of age or experience.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Old certainly isn't available as Sandy said, but not so old is probably not outside of the budget either. Cars are cheaper in Japan.

kit out Delicas n stuff on carsensor.net for like $8kAU
U00036658165_16_001.jpg
Thanks. A delica like that would do for transport and occasionally sleeping in it at night occasionally. And be better to drive around and park in towns. With konbini, onsen and Michi no eki not having a campervan is feasible, though it would be nice to be able to stay in comfort for a few nights in one spot e.g. a resort carpark.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
You only need an Australian Level 1 to get a sponsored visa to teach skiing in Japan now. Regardless of age or experience.
Hey that's very interesting. Would there be jobs for mid-50s yr old instructors who have minimal Japanese? I'd learn more with the motivation of a work visa.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Ah doh. Then on the flip side do your home work, as its getting more difficult to bring vehicles into Australia. I used EDI Customs in Brisbane to bring in my cars and bikes previously into Aus. Might be worth engaging with someone like that to get a solid understanding of all that is involved now.
Yes as @Sandy wrote, I'm interested in importing one to Australia. There are very few used 4wd campervan or motorhomes in Oz and they are expensive.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Yes as @Sandy wrote, I'm interested in improving one to Australia. There are very few used 4wd campervan or motorhomes in Oz and they are expensive.
Hai, I would engage an import company like EDI to deal with the import process.
Part of my late 2022 or early 2023 trip to Japan might be spent in Tokyo looking in car auction houses with a local agent to find a good vehicle. I did read it was recently made harder now to get a vehicle until Australia.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
FWIW if its a rural area including Hakuba you wont need a registered parking address.
Really? Do you mean on a farm? I have to have registered parking addresses, and they come and check that I do actually have space and nothing has been built on it since the address was registered. Was pretty funny at Chalet Myoko because the poor little policeman came out on a small motorbike in a blizzard. He pointed to either end of my carpark, got a yes and then bolted.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Really? Do you mean on a farm? I have to have registered parking addresses, and they come and check that I do actually have space and nothing has been built on it since the address was registered. Was pretty funny at Chalet Myoko because the poor little policeman came out on a small motorbike in a blizzard. He pointed to either end of my carpark, got a yes and then bolted.
yeah in Niseko / Kutchan they were anal also.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I heard about this. its a bit of a joke isnt it!
ms pink jacket's snowboard certs and >7 years teaching experience was insufficient this year, but pizza french fry level 1 ski instructor is ok.

Would a non current 20 year old CSIA L1 do?
I've also got a >20 year old CSIA, with very little experience teaching. I think it would have been harder to cut out a cert from the back of a cornflakes box than it was to get the actual cert. Supposedly its been restructured now and, while probably still easy, level 1's worldwide are supposed to be much more in sync with each other.
I plan to do APSI this year and even instruct a bit for some experience so I feel less like a hack. more than 2000 days on skis, and it'll be my first actual snow job! maybe it'll help me if I have visa troubles again next season.

How do you know if there's a ski instructor at the bar? ... Don't worry, they'll tell you!

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I need more information about this.

We had found it crazy that in the past my mogul skier with 8 years as an athlete and consequently a far more experienced skier than most instructors would not have been able to get a visa to coach or instruct even if sponsored. Now I am assuming it will be relatively simple.

Hmm what about ski technicians?

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
FWIW if its a rural area including Hakuba you wont need a registered parking address.
yeah in Niseko / Kutchan they were anal also.
I'm sure that this is a rule throughout Japan, but they may be a bit lax in some areas. It's best to assume that it's a requirement that you have an address to park the car.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I heard about this. its a bit of a joke isnt it!
ms pink jacket's snowboard certs and >7 years teaching experience was insufficient this year, but pizza french fry level 1 ski instructor is ok.

I've also got a >20 year old CSIA, with very little experience teaching. I think it would have been harder to cut out a cert from the back of a cornflakes box than it was to get the actual cert. Supposedly its been restructured now and, while probably still easy, level 1's worldwide are supposed to be much more in sync with each other.
I plan to do APSI this year and even instruct a bit for some experience so I feel less like a hack. more than 2000 days on skis, and it'll be my first actual snow job! maybe it'll help me if I have visa troubles again next season.

How do you know if there's a ski instructor at the bar? ... Don't worry, they'll tell you!
As I understand it its any discipline. I think if you have an Aussie, Kiwi, US, CA, BASI or DSV level 1 you can be sponsored. It used to be either an ex Olympic athelete or an Instructor with an Aussie L3 and 5 back to back seasons of experience.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Would a non current 20 year old CSIA L1 do?
Just looked it up. You'll have to pay for your membership. Pay a reinstatement fee and go to either a L2 course or a pro day, that means going to NZ and attending rookie academy in NZ, or if you can wait going back to Canada, or Japan, or Korea or unexpectedly Andorra.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Just looked it up. You'll have to pay for your membership. Pay a reinstatement fee and go to either a L2 course or a pro day, that means going to NZ and attending rookie academy in NZ, or if you can wait going back to Canada, or Japan, or Korea or unexpectedly Andorra.
So it would cost several thousand then, all up to get from L1 to a sponsorable status?

Not something you do on a whim then, more a mid-term strategy than one year?

Do they accept mid-late 50 old farts who have certs and things? Or does that fall outside the cultural exchange criteria? (Not exactly uni age!) :rolleyes:

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
Next time perhaps ask him in for tea and a biscuit and to warn up? Making friends with the local policemen would surely be a good thing to do.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
So it would cost several thousand then, all up to get from L1 to a sponsorable status?

Not something you do on a whim then, more a mid-term strategy than one year?

Do they accept mid-late 50 old farts who have certs and things? Or does that fall outside the cultural exchange criteria? (Not exactly uni age!) :rolleyes:
Could just do a Level one in Oz.

Reactions: skifree and Any

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
an APSI course and exam in oz is $1000 ish I think.
I also think I saw somewhere the exam only without a course is $250 ish?

or get a job.
we plan to get shitty awesome $8/hour part time instructor jobs, that includes (free) training and L1 cert exam :)
for me teaching experience and then L2 is the main goal, so a standalone course and cert isn't useful.

Reactions: LMB and snowgum

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

or get a job.
we plan to get shitty $8/hour part time instructor jobs, that includes the training :)
How can a L1 ski instructor afford that? That’s steep

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne

or get a job.
we plan to get shitty awesome $8/hour part time instructor jobs, that includes (free) training :)
for me teaching experience and then L2 is the main goal, so a standalone course and cert isn't useful.
Where might those jobs be? $8 an hour will at least buy two coffees per hour to keep the energy up. Plus it may provide some ski + drinking buddies.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

or get a job.
we plan to get shitty awesome $8/hour part time instructor jobs, that includes (free) training and L1 cert exam :)
If you get a job as an inexperienced instructor you'll do the L1 through your ski school. Last year to try and get more recruits the resorts covered the costs for the new instructors. With internationals being able to come back this season I've no idea if they'll be doing the same again.

If you get your L2 you'll be a much more attractive hire for a ski school in Japan if that's what you want to do. The L2 isn't a cake walk, but its pretty achievable, especially if you can afford to go to every in house training session. About 30% fail the L2 exam and have to resit components in the following year or two.

Reactions: snowgum and Any

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Where might those jobs be? $8 an hour will at least buy two coffees per hour to keep the energy up. Plus it may provide some ski + drinking buddies.
we live at Hotham. but I expect all the oz ski resorts are job recruiting right now.
I don't actually know the rate, but I assume that its not much.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
we live at Hotham. but I expect all the oz ski resorts are job recruiting right now.
I don't actually know the rate, but I assume that its not much.
They are recruiting.

If you get work the guy in charge of the ski school is also in charge of NISS at Hano.

With no experience you're on the minium wage. After you get your level 1 its around $25 an hour.

Reactions: Goski and Annabuzzy

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
They are recruiting.

If you get work the guy in charge of the ski school is also in charge of NISS at Hano.

With no experience you're on the minium wage. After you get your level 1 its around $25 an hour.
Oh, and he's a telemark trainer, so if you do your tele L1 he'll rate you even more!

• Haha
Reactions: skifree
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass