Japan 2022 snow season Planning

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
As I understand it its any discipline. I think if you have an Aussie, Kiwi, US, CA, BASI or DSV level 1 you can be sponsored. It used to be either an ex Olympic athelete or an Instructor with an Aussie L3 and 5 back to back seasons of experience.
I thought it was 36 months working as an instructor, Which with 3 month seasons is 12 seasons.

Level 3 and 5 seasons. Would not be many who get to be a level 3 in 5 seasons.

It is good that they have made it easier but it may be a bit easy now. My moguls skier was teaching the in house level 1s last season and was surprised that he was actually teaching people to ski, as in snow plow.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Oh, and he's a telemark trainer, so if you do your tele L1 he'll rate you even more!

Does having tele L1 make one generally more employable in Japan or only at Hano?
Sorry For ignorance, BTW. I don’t know where Hano is?

Is Age a real barrier in Japan - I’d imagine a newly minted L1 here in Aus (early retirement) wouldn’t be the first instructor selected unless they offered something different, say like tele? Park skills. Etc…

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
Does having tele L1 make one generally more employable in Japan or only at Hano?

Is Age a real barrier in Japan - I’d imagine a newly minted L1 here in Aus (early retirement) wouldn’t be the first instructor selected unless they offered something different, say like tele? Park skills. Etc…
You'd be teaching internationals, not Japanese nationals.

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
I thought it was 36 months working as an instructor, Which with 3 month seasons is 12 seasons.

It is good that they have made it easier but it may be a bit easy now. My moguls skier was teaching the in house level 1s last season and was surprised that he was actually teaching people to ski, as in snow plow.
You're right, but doable in 5 years of back to back

I got my L3 during my second season.

Reactions: Annabuzzy
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
I think it’s ever been thus. I remember doing the thredbo hiring clinic circa 20 years ago and there was a wide range of abilities, from top three in the Thredbo Top to Bottom, to very rudimentary skiers. If you planned to work in Thredboland and passed the working with children test you pretty much got a job no matter how badly you skied - they planned to teach you on the job. I’m pretty sure they were more interested in your attitude, willingness to learn and ability to interact with customers than pure ski skill. I remember one or two locals who were very strong skiers, very surprised not to get an offer mainly around their application to the job.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney

Hanozono, one of the resorts making up Niseko.

Reactions: snowgum

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
I think it’s ever been thus. I remember doing the thredbo hiring clinic circa 20 years ago and there was a wide range of abilities, from top three in the Thredbo Top to Bottom, to very rudimentary skiers. If you planned to work in Thredboland and passed the working with children test you pretty much got a job no matter how badly you skied - they planned to teach you on the job. I’m pretty sure they were more interested in your attitude, willingness to learn and ability to interact with customers than pure ski skill. I remember one or two locals who were very strong skiers, very surprised not to get an offer mainly around their application to the job.
Ski school hiring managers can probably detect a hero from a mile away?

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Ski school hiring managers can probably detect a hero from a mile away?
Yep, totally.

I was just doing it to improve my skiing (but got an offer anyway) but my biggest takeaway was while you should apply yourself to the skiing, far more it was a week long job interview.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Hanozono, one of the resorts making up Niseko.
Cool thanks AB. I think I’ve seen it on the map. Clearly I need to do a reccy mission - when things finally open.

FWIW - Niseko is high on the list. ;) :ski:
(Different to Hakuba resorts? Wadano digs?)

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
403271.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: skifree and tot

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa

not required anymore.
apparently any idiot with a level 1 cert can get a sponsored work visa ...
as long as someone is willing to sponsor them! schools will have already sorted it out themselves on how much experience they'll ask for.

ski schools are currently desperate for instructors.
im not sure about tele tho. I've seen at least 3 failed attempts to get it going in Niseko.

I assume people who show up sober, or just show up, is a valuable commodity.
I know of at least one company in Japan that doesn't hire anyone under 25 anymore. without all the bs that comes with a 17 year old's first time away from home, first time with alcohol, and first time living in a house with a real life member of the opposite sex.

obviously the borders open mean there's much more instructors available. however a big batch of instructors have given up on the industry after realizing their hard earned qualifications mean squat whenever the world goes to shit. twice now all the ski schools abandoned them at a moments notice, with supposedly less than 12 hours notice to move out of staff accom! so they've moved on to 'real' jobs.

personally I believe that its a positive thing to hire (semi retired?) people, who have their own accommodation, doing it for their own personal improvement, who don't need work every day to survive, who are happy to fill the void during holiday season but are happy take a day off when its quiet. (aka @LMB)

sure the 2022 thread has been derailed. who cares? if you don't have plans by now, I think you've missed the boat.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
not required anymore.
as long as someone is willing to sponsor them! schools will have already sorted it out themselves on how much experience they'll ask for.

im not sure about tele tho. I've seen at least 3 failed attempts to get it going in Niseko.

I know of at least one company in Japan that doesn't hire anyone under 25 anymore. without all the bs that comes with a 17 year old's first time away from home, first time with alcohol, and first time living in a house with a real life member of the opposite sex.

obviously the borders open mean there's much more instructors available. however a big batch of instructors have given up on the industry after realizing their hard earned qualifications mean squat whenever the world goes to shit. twice now all the ski schools abandoned them at a moments notice, with supposedly less than 12 hours notice to move out of staff accom! so they've moved on to 'real' jobs.

personally I believe that its a positive thing to hire (semi retired?) people, who have their own accommodation, doing it for their own personal improvement, who don't need work every day to survive, who are happy to fill the void during holiday season but are happy take a day off when its quiet. (aka @LMB)

sure the 2022 thread has been derailed. who cares? if you don't have plans by now, I think you've missed the boat.
People will look for this info in 6 month and won't be able to find it.....
Better to be in it's own thread as a resource.

Reactions: Any

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org

Sorry I missed the tele bit. Depending on the school a second discipline can get you a bump in pay.

I was joking about joining the tele brethren and getting to spend a couple of days with you boss at both hills.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Oh, and he's a telemark trainer, so if you do your tele L1 he'll rate you even more!
Sorry I missed the tele bit. Depending on the school a second discipline can get you a bump in pay.

I was joking about joining the tele brethren and getting to spend a couple of days with you boss at both hills.
ms pink jacket did it last season and had a great time.
she's a snowboarder, but can get down a black run on skis ok.
struggled, but completed course and certified tele instructor now.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
not required anymore.

Cheers for all this Any. Tele?

Mm, I do alpine-ish turns 3/4 of a lifted day on average to help the quads/knees last. Tele for quiet, wider, softer runs. Alpine for rest - especially in bumps and near the end of the day.

If and when is the time right it could be worthwhile looking into both T & A streams?

This is nice to consider for say an early retirement scenario. Not sure renting and early retirement are compatible. But occasionally, it’s nice to dream that a lotto win or unexpected favour from a rich uncle or aunt could make these sort of niceties a reality. (Best not get too carried away!)

Until then it’s the day job, city life and 10-12 lifted days p.w on an Epic pass. :whistle: Plus the odd chookie-foot day at Stirling or Baw Baw…:cool:

Reactions: Any and Annabuzzy

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

Cheers, it’s all good fun / interesting.

As I mentioned above, it’s nice to dream - occasionally!

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Cheers for all this Any. Tele?

Mm, I do alpine-ish turns 3/4 of a lifted day on average to help the quads/knees last. Tele for quiet, wider, softer runs. Alpine for rest - especially in bumps and near the end of the day.

If and when is the time right it could be worthwhile looking into both T & A streams?

This is nice to consider for say an early retirement scenario. Not sure renting and early retirement are compatible. But occasionally, it’s nice to dream that a lotto win or unexpected favour from a rich uncle or aunt could make these sort of niceties a reality. (Best not get too carried away!)

Until then it’s the day job, city life and 10-12 lifted days p.w on an Epic pass. :whistle: Plus the odd chookie-foot day at Stirling or Baw Baw…:cool:
Same.

I actually do have an option that could see all this happen, but my wife won’t go with it (sell city house, pay out debt, keep quite nice inner 2 BR investment apartment and move into it, buy land near resorts, build a cabin, and live there 4 months a year). “Not enough storage” she says (which is true, but we could go all Marie Kondo).

So for now it’s stick to the grind and hope for a lotto win.

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
AIUI the drop in required certification and experience applies only to ski disciplines, not snowboard. One of the many reasons I’ve been gently nudged toward skis and doing ski level 1. (However PB and I have decided I’m not working NH seasons regardless, but we did consider it as a way to circumvent the Covid tourist barriers for a quick minute).
I know a number of Snowboard Instructors in Niseko who keep getting put on beginner ski lessons - many without any ski quals. It’s a source of frustration for them - their advice “don’t learn to ski, or if you can don’t tell anyone or you’ll get stuck on first timer ski lessons for days”

Yes Aus staff are still having to buy manuals, and pay for exams, do in house training and get x hours training and work. Doing it part time would be tricky! Pretty sure my last exam (which got Covid cancelled) required 50+hrs work and 25+ hrs official training time before you were eligible for the exam. I’ve got 3 manuals now - ended up with the ski manual when I did adaptive training simply because the online purchasing system for the exam was set up that way LOL - so I’m set if I do decide to do the ski L1 hahah

A quicker option if your skills are there is NZSIA - either in NZ or Japan. It’s a pay to play course with certification that doesn’t require you to be a currently working instructor with x hours in training/work. (Until you’re doing level 3). A lot of people do the course for ski/board improvement - which is why I initially did it.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
AIUI the drop in required certification and experience applies only to ski disciplines, not snowboard. One of the many reasons I’ve been gently nudged toward skis and doing ski level 1. (However PB and I have decided I’m not working NH seasons regardless, but we did consider it as a way to circumvent the Covid tourist barriers for a quick minute).
I know a number of Snowboard Instructors in Niseko who keep getting put on beginner ski lessons - many without any ski quals. It’s a source of frustration for them - their advice “don’t learn to ski, or if you can don’t tell anyone or you’ll get stuck on first timer ski lessons for days”

Yes Aus staff are still having to buy manuals, and pay for exams, do in house training and get x hours training and work. Doing it part time would be tricky! Pretty sure my last exam (which got Covid cancelled) required 50+hrs work and 25+ hrs official training time before you were eligible for the exam. I’ve got 3 manuals now - ended up with the ski manual when I did adaptive training simply because the online purchasing system for the exam was set up that way LOL - so I’m set if I do decide to do the ski L1 hahah

A quicker option if your skills are there is NZSIA - either in NZ or Japan. It’s a pay to play course with certification that doesn’t require you to be a currently working instructor with x hours in training/work. (Until you’re doing level 3). A lot of people do the course for ski/board improvement - which is why I initially did it.
AJ will love you if you get your Alpine 1.

Reactions: LMB

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne

I primarily ski tele. Not as well as @snowgum but now that I've broken in a new NTN rig last season I'll be looking to improve this year, assuming I get a decent number of days in Oz snow/ice/slush. 2023 will be an interesting year and with a little luck, interesting OS ski trips, maybe earning a few yen teaching pizza turns.

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic

For future options, I wonder the instructor scenario is like in Canada?

I think the market might be a lot tougher - a lot more competition?

But being able to get my Canadian passport could mean I’m not just dependent on Japan, if I give things a go, ‘one day’? A lot more tele in Canada too! Mmm! Choices! :cool::ski:

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
For future options, I wonder the instructor scenario is like in Canada?

I think the market might be a lot tougher - a lot more competition?

But being able to get my Canadian passport could mean I’m not just dependent on Japan, if I give things a go, ‘one day’? A lot more tele in Canada too! Mmm! Choices! :cool::ski:
I think the great resignation, and an exodus of the vulnerable instructors from the game into secure work (that they may be unwilling to give up) had effected everywhere. I certainly didn’t expect it in the US as they’ve seemed to pretty much carry on as normal for much of the pandemic, but Help Wanted signs were up everywhere. And a few times when I’ve chatted with instructors and mountain staff and they’ve found out about me they’ve suggested I should do some work while I’m here as “they’re desperate for staff”. They were surprised when I explained about US Green Cards and illegal workers LOL

But I expect it will take a while before the industry is back to young ones clamouring for the experience at any wage/condition.

Reactions: Any

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
I actually do have an option that could see all this happen, but my wife won’t go with it (sell city house, pay out debt, keep quite nice inner 2 BR investment apartment and move into it, buy land near resorts, build a cabin, and live there 4 months a year). “Not enough storage” she says (which is true, but we could go all Marie Kondo).

So for now it’s stick to the grind and hope for a lotto win.
In Japan there are some much cheaper options than buying land and building.

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
In Japan there are some much cheaper options than buying land and building.
Yeah that bit of the dream would involve land outside say Thredbo/PB, with a cabin built on it.

As the last 2 years have demonstrated, unless you have a lot of lazy capital (and good luck to you if you do) it may be easier just to rent in Japan for a season as needed, and maybe even mix up resorts from time to time.

Reactions: LMB and mannyk

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Yeah that bit of the dream would involve land outside say Thredbo/PB, with a cabin built on it.

As the last 2 years have demonstrated, unless you have a lot of lazy capital (and good luck to you if you do) it may be easier just to rent in Japan for a season as needed, and maybe even mix up resorts from time to time.
This is a Japan thread isn't it?

Reactions: Sandy

Annabuzzy

Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
Jindabyne and surrounds is more expensive than Sydney so it did not occur to me that you would be talking about that area.
I’d need to look about more carefully - I definitely wouldn’t want to over pay. A cabin is all I’d want so the land cost would be the main constraint. i may need to look past Jindy or in different directions if it ever happened!

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
I'm crawling closer to an April trip.

Consulate said today I'd be able to get a visa so now have to jumps through hoops for that.

JAL cancelled my flight via Melbourne. Can change it to via Sydney but having problems getting any kind of similar dates and I need to an overnight on the way out.

Checked other airlines and there's been a big uptick in prices.

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
I'm crawling closer to an April trip.

Consulate said today I'd be able to get a visa so now have to jumps through hoops for that.

JAL cancelled my flight via Melbourne. Can change it to via Sydney but having problems getting any kind of similar dates and I need to an overnight on the way out.

Checked other airlines and there's been a big uptick in prices.
Good luck!

I (rather cynically) haven't bothered.

2-3 weeks to get it issued.
407,000 people currently in the queue. plus the people that get added in those 2-3 weeks ahead of you. but a limit of 5000 people per day.
does that mean July before you actually get there?
how does the day limit work when booking flights? or do they just have limited flights, assuming that they're 100% full?

A friend of mine is trying tho. Going at it full speed. Be interesting if he makes it in time for it to be worthwhile.

I love spring skiing in Niseko. Casually pottering around on a reliable deep base, getting soft cream or corn with nobody else around. Then a couple of laps on piste until it softens, and finally a couple of park laps.
But its an ever narrowing window of when the snow is good before it turns to snot each day. March + April easily worth it, but just April isn't worth the cost and effort imo.

Reactions: skifree and LMB

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
It started 5000 per day this month (a few days ago) but last night the regime was already saying "We'll make it 7000". "Students can enter even if the number gets over 7000" (here in Japan, schools start in April, that's why). So, actual number per day can be 10000.

And I feel the number limit will be removed soon.

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
In a bit of good news. This week I put in my visa application and, fingers crossed, will hopefully be wheels up in less than 3 weeks. Just have to cross fingers that JAL don't drastically alter/cancel flights yet again.

Just have to work out what's required regarding PCR tests, download the app, make sure I find and fill in all the necessary arrival paperwork. Oh, and book a Sydney overnight on the way out (any suggestions near the airport?).

Won't be getting any fresh pow but will enjoy a bit of Spring skiing in Arai and Shiga.

LMB

Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
In a bit of good news. This week I put in my visa application and, fingers crossed, will hopefully be wheels up in less than 3 weeks. Just have to cross fingers that JAL don't drastically alter/cancel flights yet again.

Just have to work out what's required regarding PCR tests, download the app, make sure I find and fill in all the necessary arrival paperwork. Oh, and book a Sydney overnight on the way out (any suggestions near the airport?).

Won't be getting any fresh pow but will enjoy a bit of Spring skiing in Arai and Shiga.
We just stayed at the Rydges across the road from the terminal. We weren’t interested in going into Sydney to increase the risk of Covid exposure (despite ending up covid positive anyway lol).

The 60 minute travel testing is a short walk from there.

Booking an extra night as ours was a late night flight meant we were able to check our bags in and return to the hotel with just our backpacks and relax for another hour or so before heading through to wait for boarding.

Lucky Pete

One of Us
Nov 14, 2014
Hakuba
www.hakubadowntownapartments.com

Nic have you seen this FB group, its very handy for understanding what you need on arrival.

Reactions: M_G and Hyst

M_G

Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Cheers folks.

Just had an interesting experience looking for a car for 2 weeks. Went through all the usual suspects and all quite exxy. Couldn't even connect to the Ekiren site. Ended up booking one through Times on carrentals.com (sub. of booking.com) for $755. Way cheaper than anything else. Tried the Times site direct and that was substantially more for the same car/dates.

Will hopefully catch up for a drink while we're there Pete.

Reactions: Lucky Pete

Any

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 23, 2015
oz/japan/usa
Awesome, you must be stoked to be back. How long's your quarantine period?
Right now, if you are triple vaxed, there's no quarantine.... and you can use public transport.
no "quarantine". but home isolation still. can use public transport so long as you go directly home, then its home isolation until you get a negative test result. friends are saying the negative result is fast, but it takes 2-3 days for it to make its way through the system before you're officially let out.

Reactions: LMB and Lucky Pete

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
no "quarantine". but home isolation still. can use public transport so long as you go directly home, then its home isolation until you get a negative test result. friends are saying the negative result is fast, but it takes 2-3 days for it to make its way through the system before you're officially let out.
No.

From the MFOA site:

From 0:00 am (JST) on March 1, 2022, self-quarantine period after entry into Japan is changed.​
For all cross-border travelers and returnees from countries/regions where the B.1.1.529 Omicron variant becomes dominant (all countries/regions except for those where COVID-19 variants other than the Omicron variant become dominant), the length of period when they are required to self-quarantine in places such as their own residence or accommodations after their entry into Japan, to refrain from using public transportation is changed from which countries/regions they enter/return, as well as, whether they obtain a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate (PDF)
000062251.gif
(One of the requirements is having received 3 doses of specific vaccines).​
From countries/regions other than designated countries/regions subject to the measures (17) :​
Vaccination certificates : Yes
Home quarantine period and other measures after entry into Japan : Home quarantine and other measures are not required

## Australia is NOT currently n the list of "designated countries/regions subject to the measures"

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
How long through customs, checking, etc. NM? We fly in soon and a bit worried about spending hours getting through. Need to get to the car rental shop before it closes.
When I last traveled in December, it was less than 2.5 hours, and I had to be transferred to a QH for 3 days (which meant waiting for an extra 30min).

Reactions: M_G
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass