Japan 2022 snow season Planning

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
How long through customs, checking, etc. NM? We fly in soon and a bit worried about spending hours getting through. Need to get to the car rental shop before it closes.
I was through the whole process in around 2 hours . Landing to exiting customs . Haneda was great , Narita is a bit of a shit fight from what I hear /

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
I was through the whole process in around 2 hours . Landing to exiting customs . Haneda was great , Narita is a bit of a shit fight from what I hear /
Yep Haneda is good. How full was the flight? Less than 50%?

I DO wonder though, once flights are full and there's more of them, how long the testing process will take in its current form.

I think that they should implement a commercial RAT self test but supervised (rather than the current setup), so by the time you walk the 500m to the RAT waiting area, your result will be visible. The ones you can commonly get in Japan only cost 500yen in bulk.

I'm really looking forward to NO home isolation when I get back to Japan in May.
I've had to endure 14 days of isolation 4 times, + two lots of 3 day QH with cold bento for the whole time.

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
4 days . I lodged on Friday and received it Wednesday .
Was that recently? At the moment at both Sydney snd Canberra they are returning your passport 5 working days after you lodge your application.

But Sydney you need to make an appointment and when I looked the earliest was 2 weeks in advance.

Canberra is walk in to lodge your application but you need to live in the ACT or where Canberra is closer than Sydney.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Nozawaman

A Local
Nov 7, 2002
Gold Coast/Nozawa Onsen
www.sasa-nozawa.com
Was that recently? At the moment at both Sydney snd Canberra they are returning your passport 5 working days after you lodge your application.

But Sydney you need to make an appointment and when I looked the earliest was 2 weeks in advance.

Canberra is walk in to lodge your application but you need to live in the ACT or where Canberra is closer than Sydney.
About a month ago .

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Need some where still open at the end of May beginning of June. Thinking about going to Gasson. Any other suggestions?
Most places close after Golden Week.

Places that are open after that include Gassan (April - late July) & Senjojiki cirque (opens in April - late May, highest ski slope in Japan 2608m-2830m)

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com
Indeed it does

Not sure why you have included Chalet Madarao with the damaged lodges. I hope it is not your intent to imply it is seriously damaged and thus discourage people from staying with us.

I am actually really pleased with how the lodge has stood up to being unoccupied. An eave sheet has come down and the loose roof sheet on the front right corner has minor damage. Compared with other places, pretty trivial.

Reactions: Goski

M_G

M_G_ = Make skiing great again
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2009
myokoskiresort
myoko.jp
Not sure why you have included Chalet Madarao with the damaged lodges. I hope it is not your intent to imply it is seriously damaged and thus discourage people from staying with us.

I am actually really pleased with how the lodge has stood up to being unoccupied. An eave sheet has come down and the loose roof sheet on the front right corner has minor damage. Compared with other places, pretty trivial.
Not at all and happy to delete if you want. It was included because I think the picture of the car sticking out of the snow is quite striking. If you'd like me to tell you of my impressions then pm/email me.

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
NASPA is boring. 260m of vertical, 5 lifts.

If you're looking at the New Otani, go the Naeba Prince Hotel instead. Naeba/Kagura around 40 lifts.
Is there any independent / local dining options out near the Prince? Google earth shows the little township nearby but I can't find and info.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Is there any independent / local dining options out near the Prince? Google earth shows the little township nearby but I can't find and info.
There's about 4/5 restaurants and a food court at the Prince. (Food court only open until 6/6:30pm, but good value)

There are/were about 8-10 restaurants in the township, and one very small supermarket.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
NASPA is boring. 260m of vertical, 5 lifts.

If you're looking at the New Otani, go the Naeba Prince Hotel instead. Naeba/Kagura around 40 lifts.
Had a look at the Naeba Prince, nothing available on any of the booking sites I found. Thinking of calling Prince Central Reservations tomorrow to see if they're taking bookings yet, or sold out.

But what I'd really like to do if I opt for Yuzawa area is stay in town near the Shinkansen station, in walking distance to restaurants etc, close to the resort shuttles and hit a few different hills. I could rent a car for some of the stay to try some of the hills a bit more distant from town, or near Minamiuonuma.

Reactions: hotsaki and Tanuki

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
Had a look at the Naeba Prince, nothing available on any of the booking sites I found. Thinking of calling Prince Central Reservations tomorrow to see if they're taking bookings yet, or sold out.

But what I'd really like to do if I opt for Yuzawa area is stay in town near the Shinkansen station, in walking distance to restaurants etc, close to the resort shuttles and hit a few different hills. I could rent a car for some of the stay to try some of the hills a bit more distant from town, or near Minamiuonuma.
Are you travelling alone? If you are, staying in Yuzawa would be a better option for an extended period. And as Donza says below, try in Oct/Nov.

Reactions: Marty McSly

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona

Its June.

Try in November.

Slowpony

Addicted
Mar 28, 2008
Perth Western Australia

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Its June.

Try in November.
Are you travelling alone? If you are, staying in Yuzawa would be a better option for an extended period. And as Donza says below, try in Oct/Nov.
I'd say it's not taking bookings yet. It should be way cheaper than NASPA but we haven't stayed there since 2018.
Yep. The AI chatbot on the New Otani website says that bookings for the town hotel are taken 6 months in advance. So August for that one.

The NASPA one seems to be giving some 40% discount through bookingdotcom at the moment. Probably not a bad base for someone with a car, but may be a bit far to walk to and from town for meals and shopping etc.

Edit: perhaps not 40%. Depends what the rack rate is. February averages $158/night.

Reactions: Annabuzzy

Marty McSly

Not a monster
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Interesting. I was thinking about a fortnight though, rather than a month.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Booking not open yet.

Resort shuttles from Yuzawa will get you to a lot of places after half the powder is gone!! ;)

I was skiing powder only 250m out the front of the Naeba Prince Hotel.
The view from my room during night skiing. Those are my tracks right there.
P4350230b small.jpg

skichanger

A Local
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 2012
chaletmyoko.com

Contact Narelle. She has houses near Yuzawa station and may be able to help you. Her places are on Airbnb.

Crispy013

One of Us
Jun 6, 2010
Port Macquarie, NSW

Hakkaisan. Great place - just needs cold weather as the base is relatively low.

Reactions: Marty McSly

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Booking not open yet.

Resort shuttles from Yuzawa will get you to a lot of places after half the powder is gone!! ;)

I was skiing powder only 250m out the front of the Naeba Prince Hotel.
The view from my room during night skiing. Those are my tracks right there.
P4350230b small.jpg

I was doing top to bottom fall line in bottomless pow outside Naeba price. Was an all time epic day for number of turns in open untracked pow.

Ok that is the wife.

Goski

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 25, 2013
Melbourne
I was doing top to bottom fall line in bottomless pow outside Naeba price. Was an all time epic day for number of turns in open untracked pow.

Ok that is the wife.
Nah, that was your high-pitched voice and petite frame wasn't it?

Just kidding. I haven't had it that good so far when I've been to Naeba. When the highest overnight snowfall event locked when I was there, they groomed most of it down before the lifts started

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Nah, that was your high-pitched voice and petite frame wasn't it?

Just kidding. I haven't had it that good so far when I've been to Naeba. When the highest overnight snowfall event locked when I was there, they groomed most of it down before the lifts started

Budgiesmuggler could be female…!

It actually worked out awesome For us. We’d had a week in Myoko kogan with no fresh snow. On our last day a blizzard closed the airport (spent the night on the airport floor). We just told the airline to fly us home in a week, headed to Naeba, and put the whole week on travel insurance :)

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Budgiesmuggler could be female…!

It actually worked out awesome For us. We’d had a week in Myoko kogan with no fresh snow. On our last day a blizzard closed the airport (spent the night on the airport floor). We just told the airline to fly us home in a week, headed to Naeba, and put the whole week on travel insurance :)

Obviously you convinced the boss as as to the lack of travel alternatives?

Or perhaps on an extended break?

I’ve heard some mates brag of Colourful explanations about Hotham closures, while conveniently ‘forgetting’ about the Omeo option? :p :whistle:

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
Obviously you convinced the boss as as to the lack of travel alternatives?

Or perhaps on an extended break?

I’ve heard some mates brag of Colourful explanations about Hotham closures, while conveniently ‘forgetting’ about the Omeo option? :p :whistle:

Well that was the other awesome thing - I was between jobs and wife was on mat leave :)
We had nothing to be back for.

But - lugging a baby in a pram, a 4 yo, 3 suitcases and a 2m long ski bag from airport (after a night of no sleep) to Naeba was all time shit.

F0FABA3F-18AB-4E90-94A8-48E1076D1B0E.jpeg

9BE4F7FE-E94E-4062-ADA2-CE482290DE40.jpeg

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Well that was the other awesome thing - I was between jobs and wife was on mat leave :)
We had nothing to be back for.

But - lugging a baby in a pram, a 4 yo, 3 suitcases and a 2m long ski bag from airport (after a night of no sleep) to Naeba was all time shit.

F0FABA3F-18AB-4E90-94A8-48E1076D1B0E.jpeg

9BE4F7FE-E94E-4062-ADA2-CE482290DE40.jpeg
You were keen alright?

We only have one lad - much simpler - we’ve always rented a car in NZ, so logistics are so much simpler than buses - as good as the ‘can’ be in Japow. (Hakuba was a little hit n miss but fine with just me to worry about)

With a family of 4, I’d be very tempted to get a hire car for the non-city part of the travel. Especially if staying on the edge of town (Happo itself was v spread out), or wanting do a different field/resort each day.

That’s when buses get a bit tiresome.

Wedging a sold frame, 6’3” (6’5”) in tele boots in the back of a 20-seater is not all fun. 185 cm semi phat boards, touching the roof and edge of the seat, and pants. Ouch! The shedder!

I digress: :oops:

So, once you got to Naeba, did things settle? All that fresh pow would ease some of the travel and waiting ‘pain’?

Very cute Bub - no one’s (@13) enough! Thanks.

Budgiesmuggler

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 7, 2010
You were keen alright?

We only have one lad - much simpler - we’ve always rented a car in NZ, so logistics are so much simpler than buses - as good as the ‘can’ be in Japow. (Hakuba was a little hit n miss but fine with just me to worry about)

With a family of 4, I’d be very tempted to get a hire car for the non-city part of the travel. Especially if staying on the edge of town (Happo itself was v spread out), or wanting do a different field/resort each day.

That’s when buses get a bit tiresome.

Wedging a sold frame, 6’3” (6’5”) in tele boots in the back of a 20-seater is not all fun. 185 cm semi phat boards, touching the roof and edge of the seat, and pants. Ouch! The shedder!

I digress: :oops:

So, once you got to Naeba, did things settle? All that fresh pow would ease some of the travel and waiting ‘pain’?

Very cute Bub - no one’s (@13) enough! Thanks.

We did have a car in Myoko but when the plans changed we did it all public transport. It seemed like a good idea when we were at the airport, but literally tears from mum and dad by the time we made it to Naeba.
But then we slept and had a good time. Daughter in daycare and son in ski school. But after a week in Naeba he was passed the level they put him in the ski school in Naeba.

But was so easy With all the restaurants, onsen etc in house, and the hotel is huge it’s a 20 min walk from one end to the other.

Photo is the kids indoor ski school

01E2A964-9CE4-40A5-9E76-AACFEEB97D8E.jpeg

Reactions: snowgum

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
We did have a car in Myoko but when the plans changed we did it all public transport. It seemed like a good idea when we were at the airport, but literally tears from mum and dad by the time we made it to Naeba.
But then we slept and had a good time. Daughter in daycare and son in ski school. But after a week in Naeba he was passed the level they put him in the ski school in Naeba.

But was so easy With all the restaurants, onsen etc in house, and the hotel is huge it’s a 20 min walk from one end to the other.

Thanks for the reports. Would you rec the Prince for families? Is it a bit old and soulless? Do you reckon you could walk to the nearby village for some local atmosphere? TIA.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998

Thanks for the reports. Would you rec the Prince for families? Is it a bit old and soulless? Do you reckon you could walk to the nearby village for some local atmosphere? TIA.
IMO, Naeba Prince is an ideal place for children. You just need to collect everything from the lockers on the ground floor in the morning, and if the kids need to have a rest, you just walk straight back into the hotel in half a minute. If you have a mountain view room, you can even watch your kids in lessons right out the front.
Unlike the Shiga Kogen Prince hotel which is just downright soulless & boring, the Naeba Prince feels quite modern and with the shops and restaurants is almost like a plaza.

Last time I was there(2018), we ate at restaurants both in the hotel and in the village, where there were around 9-10.

There's about 40 lifts between Naeba & Kagura. Kagura gets more snow, so there's a lot of powder there when the snow is on, which is quite often. On week days, Kagura hardy has any people. I've been talking up Kagura/Naeba for 20 years, but they are still not on the Aussie radar.

Last edited:

PMG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney
IMO, Naeba Prince is an idea place for children. You just need to collect everything from the lockers on the ground floor in the morning, and if the kids need to have a rest, you just walk straight back into the hotel in half a minute. If you have a mountain view room, you can even watch your kids in lessons right out the front.
Unlike the Shiga Kogen Prince hotel which is just downright soulless & boring, the Naeba Prince feels quite modern and with the shops and restaurants is almost like a plaza.

Last time I was there(2018), we ate at restaurants both in the hotel and in the village, where there were around 9-10.

There's about 40 lifts between Naeba & Kagura. Kagura gets more snow, so there's a lot of powder there when the snow is on, which is quite often. On week days, Kagura hardy has any people. I've been talking up Kagura/Naeba for 20 years, but they are still not on the Aussie radar.
That's because they're rubbish. :)

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
IMO, Naeba Prince is an idea place for children. You just need to collect everything from the lockers on the ground floor in the morning, and if the kids need to have a rest, you just walk straight back into the hotel in half a minute. If you have a mountain view room, you can even watch your kids in lessons right out the front.

:cheers:

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass