1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan BC & EPIRB

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by skifree, Jan 26, 2012.

1. skifree

skifree Part of the Furniture Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Off to Japan shortly and will be doing some BC wandering. We have all the avy kit including beacons. Are there any issues taking our EPIRB?

I know this might be considered a travel question but I'm thinking I'll get more sensible answers here.

2. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Re: Japan BC & EPIRB

Is it a 406Mhz PLB?

If so then no probs, although probably better to log into your amsa account and register details of the trip.

Quoted from amsa website;
    http://beacons.amsa.gov.au/registration.html

Can distress beacons be used overseas or can beacons registered in a foreign country be used in Australia?
    Cospas-Sarsat is a global system and distress beacon alerts are received by the satellites from anywhere on the Earth's surface. If an Australian-coded distress beacon is activated overseas an alert will be sent to the Rescue Coordination Centre responsible for the region in which the distress incident is occurring. A second notification is then sent to RCC-Australia as the registrar for the beacon.

Likewise, alerts from beacons registered in other countries that are activated in the Australian region will be received by RCC-Australia. Australian residents who buy a distress beacon registered elsewhere should have the beacon recoded with the Australian country code by a local agent and have it registered with AMSA

#2 GS, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  3. Bluebear

Bluebear Hard Yards

Interesting!! Good to know GS..
    Thanks

4. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

#4 Go Native, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  5. GS

GS A Local Ski Pass: Gold

#5 GS, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  6. skifree

Go Native, I had heard rumors of your advice, hence the question.

What do the Japanese do without allowance or EPIRB's, not get lost? not have accidents? Or does their mobile phone system work everywhere? I suspect it does work most places but there would have to be some black spots in the Asahi hills.

7. skifree

Well I wrote to Canberra with this almost helpful response. In summary they said ask the Japanese. I think I'll take it and worry about any rescue if it happens. I'll only be set off if we need rescuing and we will not care about the cost.

#7 skifree, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  8. Go Native

Go Native One of Us

They're not namby pambys who worry about backups like PLB's. They rely on themselves like we all used to in Aus before we became completely soft [​IMG]

Phones do work reasonably well in most places but yes there are definitely some black spots in the mountains. Seriously though it wasn't that long ago that most of us wouldn't have even considered the idea of having such a device with us and it didn't stop us getting out and having adventures. Why worry about having one these days? Just leave it at home and live on the edge a little [​IMG]

#8 Go Native, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Repreived Ski Pass: Gold

Take a SPOT Messenger.

10. Rob Thomson

Rob Thomson Hard Yards

This forum post seems to pop up in Google searches for PLB use in Japan, so I'll post my deep dive into PLB use in Japan here:

https://hokkaidowilds.org/can-use-plb-japan

Basically, PLB use in Japan is illegal unless a) you're on the ocean, b) you're using a Japan-authorized PLB unit (only the Japan version of the ACR ResQLink+ is), and c) you've got a Japan radio license. There seems to be some efforts to allow their use on land too, but who knows when that'll happen.

That said, satellite messengers like SPOT and Garmin inReach are fine. So as @Ziggy said, take one of those instead.

In response to @skifree , the locals (me included) use a popular beacon that has a range of about 5km - the CocoHeli beacon (https://hitococo.com/cocoheli/). There's no emergency SOS button, and it is only useful if someone is looking for you, so it needs to be used in conjunction with telling someone where you're going and submitting backcountry plans to the police (https://hokkaidowilds.org/online-notification-police-backcountry-plans-japan).

But basically, Japan should just get their act together and allow PLB use on land.

art, nezumi and skifree like this.