1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW WEATHERZONE FOLK

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan destination

Discussion in 'Japan' started by RyanMM75, Mar 29, 2019.

1. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Love some advice what Japan resort to go to 2020.
    Skiied Japan last 4 years myself and my son and his mates. (I’m the only Skier others Boarders) All of us can Ski virtually anything. We go 3rd week Jan every year no other date option, ski 9 days straight.
    Skied Hakuba, Hakuba, Hakuba, Nesiko.
    We spend most of our time skiing trees and back country but don’t hike or have any avalanche gear. Last year Rusutsu was the best mountain I’ve ever skied just loved it. In a perfect world would love to go back there and somewhere else as I feel 9 days maybe too long at just Rusutsu, thought Niseko a little too busy, been suggested Hokkoda but worried a little too restricted for options for 9 days. Anyone have any thoughts for me?.

2. Charles

Charles Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

I think your next step could be Myoko which combines the epic dumps of Niseko and has tree skiing at various resorts, some very good. Else, head up North Honshu in the Tohoku region, that will be my next port of call.
    It all depends on what you are after. Nightlife then that is a different matter but for snow and uncrowded mountains, head North.
    If you are not too fluent in Japanese and like a little night life, Myoko is a better bet but you need to wonder away from Akakura if you want to keep away from the crowds. The other option that has become very popular and is easy to get to is Alts Bandai and for the tree skiing, nearby Nekoma.

and yes, Rusutsu is at best 2 days though it depends on snow fall.

Also if there is a group of you, look at a mini van which will open up your options.

RyanMM75 and Zimbooo like this.
  3. Zimbooo

Zimbooo One of Us

I'm with Charles.
    Myoko, Madarao, Arai, Nozawa, others ;), all have fantastic lift accessed tree/off piste skiing/boarding (in bounds).
    It's brilliant, I suggest you hit up that region with wheels.

RyanMM75 likes this.
  4. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Ryan,
    So many options open up to you, but if you’re seriously doing backcountry then you really do need to skill up and kit up. Every year people are dying and getting seriously injured thinking “she’ll be right mate”. She is, until she isn’t. As a Mum who rides backcountry with her sons to a Dad skiing backcountry with his - you do not want to be finding yourself on the news and living with that.

It’s not like the helmet debate. You don’t wear a helmet and you belt your head hard it is only you. If you head out back and set off a slide by traversing an unnoticed cornice above people doing the right thing you kill others, especially if you then don’t have the skills or gear to get them out.

If you’re not prepared to do the learning or carry the gear please stay in the inbounds off piste. There is plenty of it. And the Myoko, Madarao region is very entertaining, with no need to go out of resort boundaries to find fun lines.

Rule number one: stay safe and alive so you get to play another day.

PerthBoarder, shepski, Hyst and 7 others like this.
  5. RyanMM75

RyanMM75 Hard Yards

Great advice thank you guys.

grantn likes this.
  6. Charles

Charles Addicted Ski Pass: Gold

On TV right now, Taste of Tohoku on SBS Viceland. Give you a little info about the Tohoku region.

Very short that was.
    I think the beginning show is this:

You see a bit of Tohoku as well as watching the host pig out.

Hyst likes this.
  7. grantn

grantn Addicted

Bang on advice from LMB. Before you head back to Japan, and consider which area to go, treat yourself to some kind of Avalanche Course, either in NZ or Australia, this southern hemisphere winter. That way you can justify doing 2 ski trips over the next year!

This was the course I did : https://www.aspiringguides.com/aspiring-guides/ski/courses/backcountry-avalanche-course-msc.aspx . I loved it.

This year, in Japan, I decided not to ski one particular out of bounds/BC area we were at, on a particular day, based on knowledge & experience, but also built on knowledge from that course. Lots of fresh powder, I was stinging to go. Instead we went and skiied inbounds in another resort. Found out later that someone died that day in the particular BC area we originally wanted to go. Felt sick in the guts but also felt that we had obviously made a very good choice that day.
    If you are heading out of bounds, courses like the one I have mentioned help you make good choices.

8. Hyst

Hyst One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

No need - we have Rameman;)

Charles, grantn and fennekeg like this.
  9. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Likewise - I was able to identify a very likely slide path with loading and didn’t ski it. Had I not done the course I would have thought it looks awesome and done it. It slid this year and people died. Stay safe out there.

grantn and LMB like this.
  10. travelislife

travelislife One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Furano with a car.

11. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Myoko
    Hakuba
    Shiga Kogan
    Furano