1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan: General tips for when and where to go for snow

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Sandy, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Zao is a decent sized mountain, but the lift layout is appalling. Makes it really difficult to get some proper groomer laps in.
    Go Shiga as Crispy suggested.

Vermillion, M_G and almontyrat like this.
  2. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

True that. It's not only tough for boarders but skiers have their work cut out traversing from lift to lift. This is the legacy of having separate lift companies and no collaboration. Still, even on a busy day (e.g. Chinese NY, 2018) you get great wide groomers with not a lot of people to get in your way....they're all up staring at snow monsters.

Froff Life likes this.
  3. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

looking for some reassurances or recommedations on time to ski for furano and surrounding area in regards to pow. Japow is on dads bucket list. He’s 70 and lives in London. We live in Brissie and go all the time. This will be a 1 hit wonder for him. Would be looking at 10 days probably early feb but flex. I’d like to go furano and surroundings as haven’t been but are we safer just going to Myoko, rusutsu or similar due to amount of snowfall/likelihood of freshies. Dad isn’t going to be able to do hardcore BC but side country and life accessed pow he’ll be fine on. Due to age of want him to be able to call it a day to accom if he’s tired. Was awesome skier but hasn’t done quite so much pow recently as skis the French alps

4. Kash

Kash Hard Yards

Definitely go to Furano. While Nagano possibly gets more pow, it also has a greater likelihood of rainy days. If you look at the snowjapan stats you'll also see that Rusutsu and Furano avg snowfalls don't differ that much. Furano is such a nice resort to ski. Also, you have the benefit of visiting the other local resorts, such as Kamui etc.

5. Froff Life

Early Feb for 10 days, you're practically guaranteed to get at least a few decent pow days.

6. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Do you guys reckon it would be ripe for redevelopment? I mean, they’re developing the shizzz outta Niseko region, Kiroro/Rusutsu and Furano now on the hit lists. Surely the boom in Chinese visitors Zao would be a good resort to target. Snow Monsters have the added interest factor, and they could market the resort as a Snow Monsters/Family/All inclusive package deal thing that they love. Get new lifts working in together better...

Am I getting way to ahead of myself..

fennekeg likes this.
  7. Froff Life

Totally agree with you LMB. Zao already attracts quite a few non-skiing tourists who just go to see the snow monsters and not ski. The line in the morning for the snow monster gondola can be 40-50 mins, lucky thee are 2 more!

LMB likes this.
  8. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Quite possibly. The added attraction of some pretty nice onsens, just at the village base has to be an aded bonus.

LMB likes this.
  9. LMB

Must get myself to Zao at some stage.

Next few on the must do list: Zao, Tokachidake (again), Shirebetsu, Asahidake and swimming in the ice flow at the top of Hokkaido.

Froff Life likes this.
  10. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Nope, not worth it IMO. The chinese go there for the juyho, they arent interested in skiing. There's a ski jump there too that hardly gets used. The only development I can see happening at Zao is a way to get more Chinese up to the juyho faster. The amount of lifts that would need to be changed/moved/replaced and associated earthworks to make the resort smooth from a riding perspective would be enormous, and not something that would happen any time soon IMO. The village is also a very old village with a lot of dated, soviet-style buildings that are slowly getting replaced, although there is a push to keep a lot of the old buildings, as shabby as some of them look.

As @Ramenman said, there's other places around Zao that are much better resorts in terms of skiing cohesion. Leave Zaoonsen to the people who like it for what it is, or for those who want to come see the juyho.

LMB likes this.
  11. Froff Life

I liked the village, plenty of nice traditional restaurants and heaps of amazing onsens. Yes it's definitely a bit dated, but Zao retains some traditional Japanese charm. Well worth a visit for 5-7 days, but the ski lift layout and flat spots on the hill wouldn't have me returning in a hurry.

Mitchthewitch, Vermillion and LMB like this.
  12. LMB

Interesting to hear that opinion @Vermillion - and you’re probably spot on.

However I think the times they are a-changing with regard to Chinese skiing. There will always be those that don’t, but enough of a percentage are now getting into it in a bigger and bigger way that I see them as the newest huge market to tap into. Heck if only 0.1% of the population get into skiing it’ll be a massive market.

13. Vermillion

5-7 might get you 1-2 with half-decent visibility. I've been at Zao for 12 days over 3 different seasons and had 1 true bluebird day. And I know it was special as there were 3-4 helicopters circling the peak all day long, taking visitors and promo photos I assume. They dont get many chances to do that. They also get a lot of rain compared to other places.

I wouldnt go back now that i've been there 3 times.

Froff Life likes this.
  14. Vermillion

The problem is that it's a hell of a lot of investment for relatively little return, as opposed to charging through the nose to get up the top and look at tree covered in snow. There's no ski hire, ski school, ski patrol and the associated costs/insurance etc that go along with that, but you still get the people on the hill. Like I said the only real investment I can see them doing targeting the Chinese tourists would be extra gondola capacity to get them up the hill faster.

LMB likes this.
  15. Vermillion

It doesnt look like this often:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Most of the time it looks like this:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Froff Life likes this.
  16. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

17. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us

Zao Onsen has been attracting a lot of Asian tourists in recent years, so I don't worry about them at all and I don't need to promote them at all now, but smaller ski resorts near Zao Onsen are not doing very well, so I'll promote one of them here now;).

I like Zao Liza World (less than 30min drive from Zao Onsen). Green = The ski resort area. Yellow is the Juhyo area at 1500m above sea level (only less than 50m vertical hike from the top lift station of Liza World, and you won't see many Asian tourists there). Black is the mountain ridge of 1760 - 1841m asl. Unless the visibility is too bad, it's difficult to get lost in that there are many things that tell you where you are. For example, Blue = Lift for green season hikers (It isn't running in winter), Purple = a mountain hut, Orange = Zao Echo line(a road up to the peak of the mountain and it leads you to Miyagi prefecture side of Zao mountains but it's closed between late Autumn and April).

Gray on the map above is where this is. We took it on Jan 21st this season.
    [​IMG]

This is Yellow(the Juhyo area very near the top lift station of Liza World). It was also taken on January 21st(this year). This season was the worst or the second worst season since 2010, but there was this sized Juhyo around 1500m + above sea level(quite easy hike).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Red = tooCotton, a lodge on a ski slope at 1200m asl. I like such lodges which are at higher than the bottom lift stations of the ski resorts. Most of them have snowshoe tours, backcountry tours, etc, and tooCotton also organize some tours. This is the lodge in winter, and it's reasonable.
    [​IMG]

Some Zao Liza World videos.

Backcountry around Liza World this season.

This is Zao Echo Line(the Orange road in the first picture) after it opened in April.
    [​IMG]

Zao Liza World has some X-country courses. This is the video.

#167 Ramenman, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Lady Penelope, Mark*V, M_G and 5 others like this.
  18. almontyrat

almontyrat One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thanks all for the advice to come to Shiga Kogen. I arrived Tuesday in heavy snow and it chucked down all night and well into Wednesday. First ski day Wednesday was in 44cms of fresh and boy was it fun. I can actually link tele turns in deep freshies now, a skill that has long eluded me. Managed to ski about 5 hours before my poor legs said enough. Sun is out today and the view from my window tells me they have groomed the living daylights out of everything so I am off to tele the corduroy.
    No action shots sorry, bit hard when you are solo.

19. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

There is still powder out there, you just need to find it.

almontyrat and Ramenman like this.
  20. almontyrat

I'm sure there is Sandy, I am just too chicken to go hunting on my own. I am having enough trouble working out the piste maps and how to get about without venturing too far from the groomed trails. Going to be very different out there today, sunshine and good vis for a start :)

Melskius and Kimski like this.
  21. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

You scored!

LMB likes this.
  22. almontyrat

Well its been a real mixed bag the last few days. Mornings have been firm and fast turning to slush around lunch time. Another 20cms of fresh last night and this morning meant great skiing today, I am really getting this freshies skiing down pat finally. Had a great two hour private yesterday with Robel who is the director of the Shiga International ski school. Skied much better today putting all I learned into practice. The only sad things is that there is no one about so things are closing up for the season. The links between areas are all closed and its hard to find somewhere open for lunch. Supposed to snow again all day tomorrow, bring it on I say!

The main run at Ichinose Family with a whole two skiers on it, the place is deserted!

Kimski, Froff Life, PMG and 2 others like this.
  23. Kym

Kym First Runs

Where is that for please? Hakuba?

24. Crispy013

Crispy013 One of Us

Probably more so for Hokkaido than Honshu...but still very possible for most of Japan if the wind direction is right.

25. ojisan

ojisan station master Ski Pass: Gold

Nah... Kagura niigata

26. Kym

Kym First Runs

Ok. Thanks!

27. Kym

Kym First Runs

Cheers

28. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Looking at Tokohu for either 2020 or 2021. Is this to other areas where Feb is probably best bet? Will be resort, slack country and some guided. No touring

29. rickau

rickau Hard Yards

I found some cheap flights to Japan for early March. Is this too late in the season for Hakuba?

30. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

No

31. ojisan

ojisan station master Ski Pass: Gold

Looking for powder days?

32. M_G

He may get them. Had some awesome powder days in Marches past. Just not as likely as Jan/Feb.

33. Sandy

A bit more info on riding around New Year holidays.

January 1st is a public holiday. There are usually 2-3 "Bank Holidays" around this time, which companies will usually give as company holidays. If these fall on a weekend, there may be one day less. But you need to understand and predict when most Japanese will be on the slopes riding.
    e.g. 2019/20
    Sat 28th - Sun 29th - Mon 30th - Tue 31st - Wed 1st - Thu 2nd - Fri 3rd - Sat 4th - Sun 5th
    Red
    = Public holiday, or weekend.
    Blue = Bank holiday
    Green = normal day

In this case, workers will almost certainly take off Monday 30th. So this period will be crowded.
    Christmas Day is not an issue, because it's just a normal working day.

34. fennekeg

fennekeg Addicted Ski Pass: Silver

And what about Chinese New Year? Am I right in that the Chinese have (their) new year's day off, plus 2 to 4 days after? I.e. there will be a lot of Chinese taking a holiday and hitting the slopes the first 5 days of the Chinese new year?

35. skivet

skivet Addicted

Sandy also wondering will a lot of Japanese take off Monday before their holiday Tuesday 11th Feb for National Foundation day to give them a four day weekend?

36. Sandy

Hyst likes this.
  37. lehb

lehb Early Days

Hi folks, heading off to a wedding and probs a trip to Japan pistes in mid Dec. Reading the thread it appears Hokkaido is the only option, would Tomamu be a good place to be at that time ?

38. M_G

39. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks MG, looks very interesting. Finding accom rates and locations was hard. Its so close to Nagano and never heard about the area.. I assume mostly locals visit.

40. M_G

I think best to stay in or near Karuizawa with a car. Shouldn't be too hard to find digs there.

At this point mostly off the foreigner's radar, yes.

41. Donzah

And go outlet shopping!

42. M_G

Yes, the missus will be happy.

43. Donzah

It's not that cheap.
    Beautiful building and grounds though

44. Sandy

You need to know, however, that Karuizawa rarely gets more than 120cm of snow base during the season, because it doesn't get a lot of natural snow.... it uses a lot of snow making, and the snow tends to be icier as a consequece.

And it's not so close to Nagano city. (75km by Shinkansen, which is 1/3 of the WAY BACK to Tokyo, from Nagano city)