1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan in Gold Season

Discussion in 'Japan' started by telenomore, Sep 23, 2020.

1. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

This thread is for you @Lucky Pete. As you say, summer is over. Not a lot of color yet in Hokkaido, at least not down low. Autumn is also salmon season so having been on the Shiretoko Peninsula in eastern Hokkaido for many years in autumn, and unable to fish due to work, Covid-19 has freed up my schedule. Caught my first ever salmon yesterday, and it was a beast. These are Chum salmon and Japan, surprisingly, is on of the world's biggest producers of commercial salmon.

Runa River, full of spawning salmon, near Rausu, Shiretoko Peninsula.

Fishing with a few of my close mates, mouth of Onnebetsu River, near Shari town.

A beast of a salmon. Would have gone 8-10 kgs.

2. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

Be a few tangled line there if someone hooks up LOL

Rabid K9 and M_G like this.
  3. TACKIE

TACKIE One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Would be carnage trying to use Fly gear.

malas1 and M_G like this.
  4. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

In my experience, in many (or some?) regions, spawning salmon fishing in rivers require you a license, if the license is not required when fishing in the sea.

5. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Thanks! I LOVE autumn so this will be a great thread. I had no idea about the salmon fishery, that fish is a cracker!

6. telenomore

In eastern Hokkaido, all rivers are closed to fishing during salmon season. There's one exception, the Churui River near Shibetsu. You must have a license for this river, fish take is limited and only single barbless hooks can be used. There is also designated bait only section and a fly/lure section. Licenses are also limited so no crowds. Although definitely no crowds on the Churui this year as due to Covid, the river is closed for this season.

crackson, tot, Lucky Pete and 2 others like this.
  7. telenomore

So, this happened! Very surprised.

tot, Born2skii, Hyst and 8 others like this.
  8. Ramenman

Have you ever seen bears in downtowns?. It seems Ezo Higuma (Hokkaido brown bears) recently often appears in downtowns of Hokkaido. This was filmed in Sapporo.
    [​IMG]

zarik, crackson, Snowwww and 6 others like this.
  9. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

That would liven up your evening shopping trip :eek:

Ramenman likes this.
  10. telenomore

Local wisdom here is that bear numbers have been increasing over the years. Plenty of sightings in and around towns are reported. There are signs along most roads indicating when a bear was last seen in those locations. Someone saw a bear cross the road 500 meters from our house near the traffic light, a few weeks ago, according to one of those bear sighting signs. That doesn't include the bears that aren't seen and aren't reported. I used to be in the habit of after dinner walks. I don't do that here. Not worth the risk.

crackson, tot, Hyst and 3 others like this.
  11. expatgm

expatgm Addicted

This is at the approach to a mountain pass l sometimes visit. Would anyone please translate? Much appreciated.

telenomore and skifree like this.
  12. telenomore

Put your seat belt on! the bottom sign (yellow) says - Bears..Attention!

expatgm and skifree like this.
  13. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting that they use katakana like that, rather than something like クマに気をつけろ (Watch out for bears)

telenomore and fennekeg like this.
  14. telenomore

Only occasionally do you see the word for bear in katakana in Hokkaido so that sign is a bit unusual as you say (I'm guessing @expatgm 's sign is in Hokkaido?). Normally in our area they use "Kanji" for bear and a slightly different phrase from your's a above. (熊出会う注意) Essentially it translates to = "Bears can suddenly appear. Take care".

15. Asama

Asama Addicted

It's big!
    [​IMG]

fennekeg, expatgm, skifree and 2 others like this.
  16. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

These are the kind of signs there are around Myoko. They tend to use katakana rather than kanji for bear. Not sure why. Maybe for kids?

[​IMG]

skifree likes this.
  17. Ramenman

As you may know, Katakana are mainly used for borrowed words. If they are originally Japanese words, usually Hiragana or Kanji are used. However, there are some exceptions. As academic words, all animals and plants are written in Katakana. For example, morning glory is 朝顔 (朝 = morning, 顔 = face), but as an academic word, it's written アサガオ (It is Katakana). Last weekend, I was seeding Komatsuna. It's usually written 小松菜. 菜 means vegetable. 小松 comes from 小松 (= Komatsu) river because the vegetable is native to Komatsu river in Tokyo. So, it's usually written 小松菜, however, as an academic word, it's written コマツナ. Visit this link. It's a Japanese wikipedia article about Komatsuna. As you can see, the title コマツナ is written in Katakana. https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/コマツナ

This is Komatsuna seeds. You see コマツナ (Katakana) and 小松菜 (Kanji), but not Hiragana.
    [​IMG]

For the same reason, if you go to a zoo, you'll often see Katakana. うま (Hiragana) is horse, but you'll see ウマ (Katakana) or 馬 (Kanji), not うま(Hiragana). Plants and animals are sometimes written in Katakana even outside academic scenes even though they are originally Japanese words and there are Kanjis for them.

For the same reason, イノシシ (Katakana) is used, not いのしし (Hiragana) / 猪 (Kanji). いのしし - イノシシ - 猪 = (wild) boar.
    [​IMG]

For the same reason, all are written in Katakana.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MarzNC, Lady Penelope, Hyst and 3 others like this.
  18. telenomore

Early autumn riding near Rokugo a few days ago, with the Tokachi range in the background (from the south) and fishing today along the Sorachi River not far from Tomamu. No fish but beautiful day on the river with autumn colors just starting to pop.

mannyk, Boutros, Lucky Pete and 3 others like this.
  19. Lady Penelope

Lady Penelope One of some lot ... Ski Pass: Gold

Speaking of bears .... I was bushwalking with my sons yesterday and somehow the conversation turned to bears. Mr 11 stated the he’d hate to bump into a grizzly bear. I then reminded him that other countries have bears too, including Japan (we’ve been twice). Mr 11 paused for a moment before saying, “I’d kind of expect Japanese bears to be really polite and well mannered”. :D

zarik, crackson, munja and 4 others like this.
  20. telenomore

I hope this brightens up your day. It certainly brightened mine;). Salmon fishing on the Shiretoko World Heritage area, Hokkaido with sunrise over Russia! (Kunashiri and Etorofu islands, also known in the west as the Kuriles).

tot, mannyk, Boutros and 8 others like this.
  21. Ramenman

Autumn is the best season for Aji too (Aji = horse mackerel). I love fishing, cooking and eating Aji. Midnight - early morning is the best for fishing Aji, so leave home at 3:00am, start fishing at 3:30am, fishing while seeing the very beautiful sunrise over the Pacific Ocean is what I love too:D

The fish is Aji.

22. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

23. telenomore

Hyst likes this.
  24. telenomore

Some gold and some white. Fresh snow falls up above Sonkyo Gorge, central Hokkaido. Snowed a few times up high over the past week but has mostly been cloudy. This was the first clear day since it snowed.

tot, Hyst, Lucky Pete and 2 others like this.
  25. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

You must be getting pretty excited Telenomore. Down here no snow yet but koyo kicking in at resort level and the last few days its felt like November weather.

telenomore likes this.
  26. telenomore

Yes, going through Sonkyo yesterday started to give me that skiing itch but..fishing till the salmon run is over, hopefully by then we'll have some goods in the Tokachi's.

Hyst likes this.
  27. telenomore

Tokachi today showing some early snow falls amidst the autumn colors. Getting cooler by the day.

Lucky Pete, Ramenman, M_G and 5 others like this.