1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Japan in Green Season

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Lucky Pete, Jul 23, 2019.

1. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Time for a very old internet funny.
    [​IMG]

mannyk, Hyst, Any and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

In Japanese mountains, Japanese wild boars can be real threat than bears in that we encounter wild boars a lot more frequently than bears. Adult male boars's weight is 80kg - 190kg and they can run at 50km/h. So, they are heavier and faster than Usain Bolt. They usually try to keep away from us(They are scared of us), but when they suddenly encounter us and get panicked, they sometimes run at us. You don't see wild boars much in snowy mountains, though(because of their short legs, they can't survive in very snowy places, I think). You'll see many signs like this on Japanese mountains.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

southpaw and LMB like this.
  3. telenomore

telenomore One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Green season not long to go. Harvesting in full force here in central Hokkaido and this morning had a beautiful crisp late summer feel. Expect to see touches of autumn colors in the next few weeks around the Asahi Dake/Sounkyo areas. My morning ride pic of Kami Furano with the Tokachi Mts in the background, you can just see the volcano straight down the road and up to Mt. Tokachi (2077m) itself.

LMB and Any like this.
  4. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Still very much summer in central Japan....

telenomore and LMB like this.
  5. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Hmmm...
    Hokkaido in 6 weeks then Tokyo in 7.
    What to pack?
    I guess it’ll be a decision made closer to the date. Can’t wait to see some autumnal colours though. Very cool.

6. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hokkaido will have autumn leaves, but not Tokyo!

LMB likes this.
  7. telenomore

Thought I'd resurrect this thread seeing how its green season. We are stuck in Hokkaido for now so making the most of it. Never seen the roads so quiet as no international and very little local tourism. Makes for some great cycling. Some pics from the last few weeks. These all round Furano/Shirogane area.

8. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Missed this post from last year. Are you talking about the mountains around Miyoshi and the Iya Valley? Man, there's some steep climbs through that area if you are.

9. telenomore

Pretty much. Have you been through there? Iya gorge is fabulous but also the Ishizuchi Highland, Shimanto River and nearby areas. Big climb up to Ishizuchi from Kochi prefecture is the biggest climb on the rides I do there, 12km at sustained 10%. These pics through central Shikoku and summit of Ishizuchi san, highest peak in Shikoku and western Japan from last autumn.

fennekeg, PMG and DeskRider like this.
  10. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for the refresh, great pics. Our dream is to do a green and snow season when I retire. Just cant afford the time to do both atm.
    A few yrs to go yet.

snowgum and telenomore like this.
  11. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, but only in winter. And in a car. Hats off to you for riding it. Shikoku is wonderful. We will get back there one day when the rona's over.

Lucky Pete and telenomore like this.
  12. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

This place might be a bit familiar to a couple people.

Might be a bit early though...

Been out on the MTB too (Pic: Steve Williams - Hakuba Connect).

PMG, telenomore, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  13. Ramenman

Urabandai Highland around 1200m asl very near Nekoma ski resort in summer

The same place in winter.

14. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

It rains a bit here in green season.... well quite a bit. Even some of the vegies need umbrellas. :)

Fresh locally grown and harvested on the day giant garlic grown by a mate of mine. VERY tasty!

snowgum, fennekeg, Hyst and 4 others like this.
  15. LMB

Yum!!!
    Looks awesome!!

And LOVE THE UMBRELLAS!

Ramenman likes this.
  16. Ramenman

Yeah, actually, for some vegetables, Japan is too rainy. And now, it's rainy season here. Tomatoes are originally from a dry region, so they don't like big precipitation. Japan is a country of very big yearly precipitation. Between mid June and mid July = the rainiest period for Japan. The rainiest period of a very rainy country = Tomatoes can get easily sick. I used to grow tomatoes inside green houses, but this year, we grow them outside, as a result, they get sick because of too much rain. Our tomatoes also needed umbrellas, but I didn't give them umbrellas. I'll take a picture of my sick tomatoes later and post:(

snowgum and Hyst like this.
  17. Ramenman

Since June 10th, it's been raining like 28 out of 30 days. The black spots = kind of mold. Most vegetable diseases here are kind of mold caused by big precipitation + high humidity. We can use agrochemicals to prevent those diseases but leaves needed to be dry when we use agrochemicals. The leaves of the vegetables have been always wet because it's been raining almost everyday in the past month. So, we couldn't use agrochemicals.

Sick tomatoes at my vegetable garden

As you can see, no umbrellas.

But, the big precipitation of Japan is good for some vegetables such as egg plants. Egg plants are native to rain forests in India and some vegetables grow very well in rainy season(all pictures are from my vegetable garden)

MarzNC, fennekeg and Lucky Pete like this.
  18. telenomore

Enough of the virus. Here is a bit of fishing in the Sorachi river, just outside Furano to finish the weekend.

This fish is "Ugui" or Japanese Dace.

Rainbow trout.

Sort of rainbow trout "donburi".

snowgum, Boutros, mannyk and 6 others like this.
  19. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Telenomore great pics and what a great outcome!!!!! I sure am glad rainy season seems to have finished down here. In fact the best day in 7 weeks was yesterday which was the final phase of my father in laws funeral. We all took it as a positive outcome in what has been some tough times. Anyways here are some recent green season pics from Hakuba.

My CT110 is just about perfect for around here. Goes nearly everywhere and anywhere!

This bike was a rainy season project last year. Cheap fun :)

Been getting out on the MTB between the heavy rain and both the ST and DT look amazing at the moment although the brushcutter has had a LOT of use as some lightly used sections of ST getting wildly over grown quickly.

Ah my lillies. Well over 90% were destroyed by the rain this year. Was gutted but compared to what else was happening for us very mild to non-consequential.

Waited for the rain to die down one afternoon to a light drizzle. It was great like this for weeks but I do love the mist on the river.

One of the great things about green season is all the fresh vegies and we have some awesome neighbors that often drop food off to us, this though was one of the few times we have eaten out since C19 became an issue. My Mrs LOVES soba, me not so much :)

Mellow ST my fav type of MTB riding.

Born2skii, Goski, snowgum and 9 others like this.
  20. telenomore

Great to see the area in summer and good pics. We don't really get thee rainy season up here but glad it has finished for you all down south. I am regularly tempted to do some MTB up here as some tempting mountain trails but..bears!

Hyst likes this.
  21. tot

tot Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Any chance of posting some local wild bear pics please tele?

telenomore likes this.
  22. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Long time no see peeps.
    It's funny you mention bears. Just last week I was longboarding on the road just outside my house in Nagano and a bigass black bear jumped out of the forest and ran across the road into the shrubs on the other side.
    50m away max.
    That was my first live sighting in nealy 6 years living here.

LMB, M_G, Hyst and 3 others like this.
  23. telenomore

Ill try and get some but not that easy. Had two bear interactions this season. One I had to get away real quick as I was hiking solo and literally crossed paths with an adult and cub at about 30 meters. Had my phone but I wasn't hanging around. They were not looking in my direction so I literally slunk away very quickly. The other one was from the car and we got some grainy footage not worth posting. Had big bear prints back off our place in spring as well. If I get any pics Ill post. Id have to say though, the brown bears in Hokkaido kill, but Id be more worried about @BobGnarly;s black bear as they trend to be more aggressive, or so I have heard.

tot likes this.
  24. Ramenman

Steelhead can be seen in Sorachi river?. I'm not fussy on the size to enjoy fishing, so "normal" rainbow trout is very enough for me, but my guru is interested in bigger ones. In Tohoku, there are many rivers good for trout fishing (including rainbow trout), but steelhead, it's very rare here (very rare to see steelhead in Honshu).

25. telenomore

No Steelhead. The fish were 1 x rainbow trout and quite a few Japanese Dace ( 1 pictured), as you'd know in Japan called "Ugui".

Ramenman likes this.
  26. mannyk

mannyk One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Gday...:thumbs:

BobGnarly likes this.
  27. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Interesting as down here we see the risk as higher for you guys. Im yet to see a bear but my riding buddy saw one this week down by the river. He just quietly cycled past. Last fall there were bears roaming around Echoland. TJ had a close encounter!

28. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Howdy

mannyk likes this.
  29. telenomore

For sure, all bears are dangerous. There was a terrible string of attacks by a black bear (or bears) in Iwate in 2016 (https://www.thejournal.ie/bear-attacks-japan-2822589-Jun2016/) . I remember further reports that the bear they killed had human remains inside it. I'd have to say you'd probably not want to go into the Mts foraging after the first few folks didn't come home! 4 people killed over a period of a few weeks. The understanding up here in Hokkaido, is that the brown bears will attack and kill if cornered or during certain seasons (breeding, preparing for winter etc) but in general will not look for humans to attack, and tend to quickly run away if you come close in most cases, however, it is my understanding that the Asiatic black bears will actually track down humans. Happy to be corrected but that's my understanding. Bear bells, talking loudly and bear spray are standard practice here when hiking. Here are some bear tracks up the back of our storage shed in Furano, late March this year.

PMG, tot, Lucky Pete and 2 others like this.
  30. BobGnarly

BobGnarly One of Us

Those tracks could be a local walking home in oversized crocs lol

PMG, Ramenman, Hyst and 1 other person like this.
  31. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This is great. I can stay entirely on topic and still gratuitously post one of my favourite funnies.
    [​IMG]

skichanger, M_G, Nozawaman and 5 others like this.
  32. Ramenman

Summer - early Autumn = traditional festival seasons. Numerous festivals are held. In front of Mito Station (about 100km north of Tokyo), a small summer festival is being held this weekend - next week. I took the pictures below around 6:30pm today. It's the first day and it's not a holiday yet (Japan's holiday week will start tomorrow = 9 consecutive days), so there were not many people, but I guess there will be many people wearing Yukata = Japanese traditional casual clothes there tomorrow:)

They are saying "Kanpai!". You can enjoy tasting local sake, craft beers, and some other alcohol beverages. Comedians, musicians, magicians, etc are performing to entertain people and people enjoy the shows while eating & drinking. It's hot, but Japan's hot and humid summer makes us feel beer more yummy!

Many food stalls, I love them, many different cheap & yummy foods!.

33. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Up here in Hakuba all the Matsuri's have been cancelled, whilst sad completely understandably.

Ramenman likes this.
  34. Ramenman

Here = my area = along JR Joban line ( Tokyo - Chiba - Ibaraki) + southern Tohoku, most very big summer events & festivals have been cancelled such as Rock in Japan Festival = one of the biggest music festivals in Japan and one of the biggest firework festivals in Japan. The cancellations of those big events & festivals were already announced in May. Smaller ones are not cancelled.

35. Ramenman

During Obon week (Yamagata Pref)

36. telenomore

A break from Covid stress. Heat of summer nearly over here in Hokkaido, not that it gets super hot but looking forward to it cooling down. A couple of fishing shots from recent trips, to Shiretoko and the local central Hokkaido rivers. I had no luck with the "Kurafuto Masu" (Pink Salmon) as locals were shoulder to shoulder at each river mouth, but now armed with some local knowledge, I'm going back over in late September when the big run of Chum salmon comes on.

Ame Masu (White Spotted Char) from the upper Sorachi River near Tomamu.

# 1 Daughter fishing on the Mu River, Tomamu.

Near Rausu Cho on the Shiretoko Peninsula, fishing for Karafuto Masu (Pink Salmon).

Fishing on the Sorachi River Furano.

Beautifully patterned native 'Iwana' from the Biei River.

Nice rainbow trout for dinner from the Sorachi River, Furano.

malas1, whether, tot and 10 others like this.
  37. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Top of the Suginohara gondola yesterday

tot, skifree, mannyk and 2 others like this.
  38. 2ESki

2ESki Addicted

Top fish look's a lot like a Brook Trout. :thumbs:

39. LMB

Heyyyyyy... welcome back Mr Gnarly :emoji_call_me:

40. Ramenman

A bit more about fishing in Japan. Japan is very mountainous = nearly 70% of land of Japan is mountains. Even Tokyo has 2000m class mountain and it means even Tokyo have mountain streams good for fishing. If you are somehow in Tokyo in green season (for business trip or something), you can enjoy a day trip fishing to Okutama. The guy in the video bellow is fishing in Tama river in Tokyo very near Okutama station (the place where he is fishing is a walking distance from Okutama station, so you don't need to hire a car but just need to take JR trains). I like fishing (both sea fishing and mountain stream fishing). Japan is a small island country with quite many mountains, which is very good for someone like me in that both sea fishing and mountain stream fishing are very easily accessible. Personally, I'm not interested in big fishes but I'm interested in yummy fishes. Okutama (the region in the video) has yummy fishes such as rainbow trout, Iwana, Yamame, Ayu, etc.

The map
    https://www.google.com/maps?q=Oku-T...hUKEwjpq9St_6nrAhWOfXAKHa9eD0IQ_AUoAXoECA0QAw

#90 Ramenman, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    skifree, mannyk and telenomore like this.
  41. telenomore

Very similar but Brookies have more spots, not white spots and with greater color range. Only ever caught one many years ago on the Mowanba River, above where the Barry Way crosses it just out of Jindabyne. I think Gaden Trout hatchery did some local stocking of them some years ago. Not sure if they still do stock them. Interesting here in Hokkaido, there is no stocking of streams. So no license required but also, from what I'm seeing in perfect river conditions, trout numbers and fish stocks in general in central Hokkaido very low. Here is a low res pic I pinched off the net of a Brook Trout.

whether, skifree and Hyst like this.
  42. Boutros

Boutros One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ah, the Sorachi River! That's a name I haven't heard for a while and brings back memories. A great cruisy rafting section that we punted many a school group down. The best thing about those trips were the Bento box's the company supplied for lunch were significantly better that what we got on the Shirebetsu trips on the Hirafu side.

telenomore and Lucky Pete like this.
  43. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Went for a ride way up in the mountains behind Otari yesterday and came across this pond stocked with koi/carp at some sort of shed. Was a great day out.

malas1, PMG, fennekeg and 6 others like this.
  44. telenomore

Hopefully this week marks the last days of summer here in Hokkaido. Very hot again (I thought the heat had finished!) but still some good later summer distractions to be had before the first signs of autumn. A few shots from yesterday in the Asahi Dake - Tenninkyo area, cycling and fishing.

Upper Chubetsu River near Tenninkyo.

Beautiful little rainbow, that went back in.

This one for the dinner table.

For those who have skied Asahi Dake, that is the summit of Asahi Dake just peaking out in the top left corner.

skifree, malas1, Hyst and 8 others like this.
  45. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

More great pics, thanks Tele!

telenomore likes this.
  46. Ramenman

This was filmed last weekend. It's mid summer = green season, but some people are still skiing in late August:p (it's Mt.Chokai in Yamagata Pref - Akita Pref)

The same mountain in June.

47. telenomore

Went for a late afternoon fish on the river about a kilometer from our front door. 200 meters from the car park, down the river, I came across some very fresh and very large bear tracks. Promptly turned around and fished a spot closer to home.

fennekeg, tot, skifree and 4 others like this.
  48. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Whoa thats a bit close for comfort!

LMB likes this.
  49. LMB

Ahhh yeah... that would’ve sent me packing also! :eek: Fascinating to see at Noboribetsu Park, but you wouldn’t last long up close and personal!

50. snowgum

snowgum One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Great video.

I’d pack in a flash for a visit it was feasible.

Looks like a nice For a summer ski & walk given this Vic winter was snaffu’d. :skier: